PDA

View Full Version : TNR Update

empbal
May 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
So how are you guys doing on TNR these days?

We went from 18-20k/week two to three years ago and we're still under 6k for this week with only one day left. Everyone at my store is panicking because with numbers like these and 3% bundle sales, we're most likely going on the next close list. I'm actually sort of happy, though. It'll give me a reason to look for another job.

bEZ
May 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Im not even sure about our numbers... but i know we've been consistently down about 15% on last year... A Hollywood Video closed near us and it has done absolutely nothing for business...

zooworker
May 1st, 2010, 09:40 PM
Sounds like what happened at one of my old stores, it got so bad that 1 day we had a negative $150 due to autosale returns. Hour store hours got cut to 12-9 and 6 months later we closed.

Morbid Angel
May 1st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Im not even sure about our numbers... but i know we've been consistently down about 15% on last year... A Hollywood Video closed near us and it has done absolutely nothing for business...

That's because Hollywood didn't have any customers to begin with.

Mr.Sarcastic
May 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
If you really want to know if your store is closing then review your monthly SPR and check the OPM line. After you determine whether or not you are profitable call your landlord and ask when your lease expires. Those are the two most important pieces of information when attempting to figure out if you are going to close. TNR is a useful metric but not as useful as operation margin.

djblade
May 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
The TNR is good but is down for some weeks. Its normal

gmp71270
May 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
My old store was the biggest and busiest store in town (1,000,000+ a year in business) and we were the first one to close here. We were told "it is a leasing problem with the landlord, the store is still vacant 6 months later).

BUYMECAR
May 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
That's because Hollywood didn't have any customers to begin with.

actually, not having customers wasn't hollywood's problem. apart from the cannibalistic programs they gave customers at such a cheap price, their corporate leaders also made some really stupid decisions as well whilst not having any real sales drives for employees on the store level.

the reality is that the brick-and-mortar movie-rental business has exponentially become less-profitable. Blockbuster and it's confection bundle drives are only going to keep the stores standing for a few years more past the expiry date for the business.

johnlow71
May 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
im getting plentyyyyyyyyyy of t n r

TheAnomaly
May 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
the reality is that the brick-and-mortar movie-rental business has exponentially become less-profitable. Blockbuster and it's confection bundle drives are only going to keep the stores standing for a few years more past the expiry date for the business.

We should check the expiration date. I hope its not some screwy code like on the M&Ms

TheShooter87
May 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
i cant wait for my store to close, i dont want all the people to lose their jobs on one hand, but on the other god this company deserves to fail for so many reasons

redfay
May 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm already looking for another job.

I got offered a full time job where I worked previously, and at $2/hour more than what I'm working at BB. I'm thinking I might take it...

yodavsjason
May 3rd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Take it don't think just take it.

abhorrent scowl
May 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have to agree. Unless the other job is giving sponge baths to addicts at the methadone clinic, I think this is pretty much a no-brainer.

Fly my child, fly!

TheShooter87
May 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
guys i failed you all tonight, im a SL and my shift had 0 bundles/presales/DA's...please forgive me my brothers (and sisters) BUT I DID SELL A PICKLE

yodavsjason
May 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Kaw just smiled

zooworker
May 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
guys i failed you all tonight, im a SL and my shift had 0 bundles/presales/DA's...please forgive me my brothers (and sisters) BUT I DID SELL A PICKLE
At least your trying, I went to my local store for the 4th time last month and still no bundle offer.

BUYMECAR
May 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
At least your trying, I went to my local store for the 4th time last month and still no bundle offer.

if they've given up hope, you should just invite them here. that'll really put things into perspective.

TheShooter87
May 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I Deserve DEATH NOT A MEAL BREAK...apparently at our store the SM is forcing people to come to a 7 AM 2 hour Meeting for not hitting goals...however the fool doesnt realize that most people there (not including myself) will gladly take the extra 2 hours of pay

empbal
May 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I Deserve DEATH NOT A MEAL BREAK...apparently at our store the SM is forcing people to come to a 7 AM 2 hour Meeting for not hitting goals...however the fool doesnt realize that most people there (not including myself) will gladly take the extra 2 hours of pay
As if labor isn't tight enough already. What a waste of time.

TheShooter87
May 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
^yep pretty much

BUYMECAR
May 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
the really stupid part about meetings like that is that DMs are told to encourage it and distribute hours accordingly upon acceptance.

Ninja
May 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
It seems its just getting worse and worse and worse every week...

Weve gotten phone calls at our store from companies asking when we're closing :\
I just really wish I could find out if my store was closing or not.

I know I'd love if my store closed right now but I would be sad at the same time...most of my co workers are awesome and my boss is awesome.

empbal
May 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
It seems its just getting worse and worse and worse every week...

Weve gotten phone calls at our store from companies asking when we're closing :\
I just really wish I could find out if my store was closing or not.

I know I'd love if my store closed right now but I would be sad at the same time...most of my co workers are awesome and my boss is awesome.

Not me. I don't like my manager, I'm not close to any of my CSRs anymore (the two I was close to quit a few months ago), I hate the other SL. I'm sort of close to my ASM but not really.

I'll take the unemployment and motivation to look for another job, please!

Ninja
May 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Not me. I don't like my manager, I'm not close to any of my CSRs anymore (the two I was close to quit a few months ago), I hate the other SL. I'm sort of close to my ASM but not really.

I'll take the unemployment and motivation to look for another job, please!

Well, if my store really closed, I'd be cool with it...I'll keep in touch with my co workers.

abhorrent scowl
May 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I go in today to look at the schedule for next week.

Number of CSR's who get more than one shift for the week:

:mad:

Ninja
May 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I go in today to look at the schedule for next week.

Number of CSR's who get more than one shift for the week:

:mad:

How many CSRs are in your store? Mine has 6 and 4 get 2 shifts, the other two get one...

CSR shifts, there are 10 and sometimes 11...

empbal
May 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Mine has 3 that actually work. They're loving the hours.

wheresmikey
May 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM
its pathetic.

me and one other csr get almost 15 hours because we sell more than the other csrs.

the other 3 get about 5 hours in a week lately.

abhorrent scowl
May 8th, 2010, 05:15 AM
How many CSRs are in your store? Mine has 6 and 4 get 2 shifts, the other two get one...

CSR shifts, there are 10 and sometimes 11...

That's part of the problem... we have 8 CSRs. It pisses me off that a couple of them have full time jobs and they just work one shift a week to get free movies. Those are shifts that other people could really use.

katiebell
May 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Sadly we have to keep the extra CSR's on hand because of requests off or vacations this time of year. I agree though it's tough to swallow loosing shifts because of the full timers.

Wish they would figure out a way to determine how many free rentals you get based on the hours you work. Maybe then the SM could leave them off the schedule and only use "them" when we really need them. Just my opinion.

Another thought....sell more yourself and then maybe you will get the better hours!

abhorrent scowl
May 8th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Sadly we have to keep the extra CSR's on hand because of requests off or vacations this time of year. I agree though it's tough to swallow loosing shifts because of the full timers.

Wish they would figure out a way to determine how many free rentals you get based on the hours you work. Maybe then the SM could leave them off the schedule and only use "them" when we really need them. Just my opinion.

Another thought....sell more yourself and then maybe you will get the better hours!

Sadly, the few hours that are available don't seem to be allocated based on how well a person performs here. If that were the case, a few of these guys wouldn't be scheduled at all.

BUYMECAR
May 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
i don't have a problem with CSRs getting few hours. i am a CSR and the reality is i was never promised a certain amount of hours every week and neither was any other CSR.

but if i do find that other CSRs want to pick up hours, we collude and give each other the opportunity. i've taken up and given up so many hours the years i've been with blockbuster. and what i've come to discover: those CSRs who are looking for more hours end up leaving within months anyway. you can give them the hours but sooner or later they realize it's all a facade and the job isn't for them.

hell, i'm about to get my degree in a week and if my SM thinks i'm going to stay her loyal CSR working on 12-18 hours a week for years to come, she needs to wake the fuck up.

yodavsjason
May 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Its a part time job, students should be CSRs. A rare csr may get 25 hrs a week, but don't hold your breath. SL are only supposed to get 20hrs max.

abhorrent scowl
May 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about how many hours a CSR should get. With as busy as school keeps me, I wouldn't want 20+ hours even if they were available.
But when the pickings get this slim, it's no fun.

TheAnomaly
May 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
We only have 2 CSRs at my current store. But I also work once a week at my old store. They have 6 CSRs.

I'm 6 credits away from having two degrees, but they're all internship credits... where I have to pay the school to work for free... so I'm working as much as I can trying to get money for the tuition.

I was promised a promotion at my last store... then we got a SL from a closing store... About a month ago, my DM asked "So, when are you gonna be a SL for us?" Uh... as soon as there's a position somewhere? Hell, at this point, I'd even settle for a single shift at a couple stores.

So, it's either get a different job... which means fewer hours but possibly more money... or continue to tough it out here in hopes a position opens up somewhere.

Ninja
May 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
That's part of the problem... we have 8 CSRs. It pisses me off that a couple of them have full time jobs and they just work one shift a week to get free movies. Those are shifts that other people could really use.
Wow...yeah.

I was told to send someone home early and I felt bad about doing it...only because they NEED the money...arrrr

deathbydanny
May 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I thought we were the only ones understaffed with CSRs. When I'd left, there were a total of seven people employed by the store, and four of them were no less than SLs.

empbal
May 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
90 hours for managers, 60 hours for CSRs at my store. We have 3 managers and 3 CSRs.

zooworker
May 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
90 hours for managers, 60 hours for CSRs at my store. We have 3 managers and 3 CSRs.
Is that counting the SM?

bEZ
May 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
wow we have 6 managers(1 SM, 1 SAM, 3 SL, 1 4star) and 2 CSRs

omg_bbv
May 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
We have 1 SM, 1 ASM, 1 SL, 1 4starCSR (me), and 3 CSRs... to split 160ish hours... we were w/o a SM for a week or so... sucked.

sobedrummer
May 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
As of Monday it'll be:
1 ASM? (me), 7 CSRs to share 215 hours

I'm fine working 95 hours next week, but I'm being sent random fill-in MODs for at least 2 weeks

empbal
May 12th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Is that counting the SM?

Yes, unfortunately.

wheresmikey
May 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
As of Monday it'll be:
1 ASM? (me), 7 CSRs to share 215 hours

I'm fine working 95 hours next week, but I'm being sent random fill-in MODs for at least 2 weeks

omg, that sounds horrible. you're really the only one at your store who can do the open and close procedures?

sobedrummer
May 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
omg, that sounds horrible. you're really the only one at your store who can do the open and close procedures?

There's a couple I'm sure would be able to do it, but my DM won't consider it.
We were runnind with an SM and 2 ASMs, both SM and fellow ASM put in their two weeks and my DM has done little to transfer or hire MODs for my store.

yodavsjason
May 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Watch out or you're next. Save on labor

SuspectRoll
May 12th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm already looking for another job.

I got offered a full time job where I worked previously, and at $2/hour more than what I'm working at BB. I'm thinking I might take it...

Do it and never look back. Don't even hesitate.

DavidNewlySL
May 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
earnings call in 1 minute

zooworker
May 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
$65.4 million loss for the first quater.
So, someone tell me again why the CEO got a $400,000 bonus?

deathbydanny
May 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Because they determined that taking away raises saves money and they're rewarding themselves for their triumph.

TheShooter87
May 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
anyone wanna take a guess on how long they have left until they have to file for some form of bankruptcy?? im guessing either after the summer this year, or after Q4 next year (theyll never file for Bankruptcy during Q4 as someone said in an earlier topic, itll either be before or after) im guessing either the summer will be a death knell and theyll have to file, or after another lackluster Q4 theyll have to file.

Paradigm
May 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Well, I've never even heard anything from the Zone Vice President or whatever his title is, but we did all get an email filtered down to us that claimed we're all doomed if we go over by 5 minutes on labor, because Mr. Keyes thinks our biggest failure is the controllable expenses like theft, labor, and TCS. So, DOOM!!!!! I'm 30 minutes over this week because someone didn't take their break...Will my store implode I wonder?

abhorrent scowl
May 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Well, I've never even heard anything from the Zone Vice President or whatever his title is, but we did all get an email filtered down to us that claimed we're all doomed if we go over by 5 minutes on labor, because Mr. Keyes thinks our biggest failure is the controllable expenses like theft, labor, and TCS. So, DOOM!!!!! I'm 30 minutes over this week because someone didn't take their break...Will my store implode I wonder?

Wait... that's our biggest failure??

Whew. That's a relief. For a minute I was afraid the problem was a flawed business model.

zooworker
May 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM
So, DOOM!!!!! I'm 30 minutes over this week because someone didn't take their break...Will my store implode I wonder?
Try making your schedule out with room to spare, I always had a 2 hour buffer. If one shift with no break makes you over then you really have a problem.

lucky me
May 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Your store won't implode, but why are you scheduling exactly to labor demand?!? Like zooworker, I always have at least a two hour buffer. It just saves headaches and stress. Then, the last week of a period, you can schedule some extra hours with whatever extra labor you may have saved (but I still always try to end up 1-2 under for the period just to be safe so there's no surprises).

Ghost of AtlanticVamp
May 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Damn, Dime. (Yeah, short for "Paradigm". Moving on...)

Hell, it couldn't have anything to do with shit like buying assloads of video games with the promise of pushing them for presale, or getting "rental exclusives" on movies people can easily rent elsewhere, or not making moves to expand to other media when RedBox and Netflix were just starting. No, not at all.

It wouldn't have to do with paying upper management their bonuses while their store personnel have to make do with less resources and less labor.

Maybe getting fired was the best thing that ever happened to me. :(

Paradigm
May 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I was being facetious about the 30 minute meal break killing us. I'm not stupid =P My goal, and number I work to hit, is under by 7 hours. It gives every day a one hour buffer, or a Saturday call in if we need it.

Xtreme Rebel
May 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
If we want to get back to TNR updates I've been UP around 25% for the past three weeks or so.