PDA

View Full Version : what do they pay SM's?

underemployed
June 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My brother, despite all my warnings, has recently been laid off and is considering any and all jobs out there. He said he wants to apply for a SM position and wants to know what they pay but I told him I have no idea! Any help?

zooworker
June 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
My brother, despite all my warnings, has recently been laid off and is considering any and all jobs out there. He said he wants to apply for a SM position and wants to know what they pay but I told him I have no idea! Any help?
Money plus many hours of work, pain, stress, and putting up with a DM that has no clue how to run a store.
That is their pay

underemployed
June 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
like I said, I tried to warn him! But just like me he's willing to put aside a bit of dignity in order to pay the rent, you know what I mean?

Hot Head
June 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
like I said, I tried to warn him! But just like me he's willing to put aside a bit of dignity in order to pay the rent, you know what I mean?

Depends what are qualifications (schooling) and experience

underemployed
June 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
he's got a BA in sociology, has been a teacher, car salesman, computer tech all sorts of stuff really.

Hot Head
June 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM
he's got a BA in sociology, has been a teacher, car salesman, computer tech all sorts of stuff really.

Well he could be a dm. as long as you have a bachelors your good for sm. pay would start of no smaller than 30-35 thousand.

BlockbusterLuvsU
June 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Monopoly money.

Mushroom Employee
June 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
They get just enough to cover the antacids and hair restoring products....... and occasionally they get a free bundle.

chapter11buster
June 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't he be better off not applying? Their just going to close even more store within the next few months. Why hire from the outside when they can move store managers that are already with the company.

Glass Half Empty
June 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Are they even hiring SMs? We've had 5 stores close in my district with the great purging and only 1 got transfered and it was all underhanded and sneaky-aka the Blockbuster Way....

zooworker
June 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Well they pay many SM's unemployment, don't see where they need new ones :cool:

Flantanella
June 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
If he has a resume, he can put it on Careerbuilder or Monster, while doing this one trick. If you do small edits to it each week, it will put his resume on the top of employer searches. And you wont have to pay the fee. So depending how good he is, he should get a decent amount of call backs

libra
June 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
From what I understand the SMIT (store manager in training) program doesn't even exist anymore. Someone coming on board to the company would come on as an ASM (assistant store manager), if a spot was even available anywhere. And they would get well groomed over time to eventually become a SM if and when a position opened up. And also only if they really were the best top notch ASM. Someone doing an ok job would never get placed. The odds of becoming an SM externally are slim to none right now. And like I said, they would be an ASM until they were ready & we were ready & a position opened.

Since you are saying he wants to apply because he is behind on bills. And he is willing to put his pride aside. If either of those 2 things were ever said in an interview he would fail the interview process.

If after hearing all of this & he is still interested then great. Otherwise if there is any hesitations about it, this is too big of a decision to not be sure about. For him & for Blockbuster. So if he's hesitant then no way should he pursue working here.

orbitdvd
June 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I remember the long process it took to become a store manager. Then I remembered all of the shitty store managers and wonder if they were just fucking with me.

Darkfall28
June 29th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Are they even hiring SMs? We've had 5 stores close in my district with the great purging and only 1 got transfered and it was all underhanded and sneaky-aka the Blockbuster Way....

That "great purging" reference made me laugh. Perfect way to put it. As for the SM pay question...... they don't actually give me money anymore, I just get paid in expired Twilight candy and IOUs on the new releases.

easy1234
June 29th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I would have to agree with the others on here. First, he would have to be crazy to wanna go to work at BBV since most of the stores are going to be gone soon. 2nd, the odds of hiring in as SM have got to be rather slim with all the downsizing going on now. And as far as pay goes, the low to mid 30's is probably right. I was making more than that, which is probably why they wanted to get rid of me ;) Trust me, there are many places that have more stable futures, friendlier environments, and as good or better pay than BBV!

Glass Half Empty
June 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
That "great purging" reference made me laugh. Perfect way to put it. As for the SM pay question...... they don't actually give me money anymore, I just get paid in expired Twilight candy and IOUs on the new releases.

But the Edward Ice candy was so sweet and tasty.....Seriously, I doubt they are hiring anything other than CSRs or SLs right now and any Tier 1 store just had their ASM position shot to hell so they all got demoted to SL.

muthaflippin
June 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I remember the long process it took to become a store manager. Then I remembered all of the shitty store managers and wonder if they were just fucking with me.

I took over a storee that had a long succession of shitty managers. They were all panic promoted.

underemployed
June 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
lol everything you guys are saying I've already told him! I'm not sure he believed me until I showed him this thread though so thanks!

DoctorDan
June 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Tell him to apply at Office Max. They are hiring everywhere, from what I see on craigslist and indeed.com

zooworker
June 30th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Tell him to apply at Office Max. They are hiring everywhere, from what I see on craigslist and indeed.com
Gotta be a bad reason for that..

bbv123456
July 5th, 2011, 04:16 AM
i made 50,000 or so before i was lucky enough to get out a few months ago and make more money in a much less shitty environment.(all retail is shitty). i know 3-4 managers who made 55,000-60,000. NY

muthaflippin
July 5th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Local Office Max is closed, but a new Dollar general just opened.

AbandonedDreams
July 5th, 2011, 05:23 AM
My husband's Aunt used to work for Dollar General as an SM. She said it was an awesome place to work, and she only left to open her own business.

zooworker
July 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
My husband's Aunt used to work for Dollar General as an SM. She said it was an awesome place to work, and she only left to open her own business.
I heard it is hell working there,

TheShooter87
July 5th, 2011, 08:19 AM
there used to be a ton of "Ihateblockbser" style Dollar General sites though i suppose there's bitter employees in every company

AbandonedDreams
July 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah, she was there years and years ago. But I guess it also depends on the individual stores and the people working in them to a certain degree.

Meltdown
July 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I was at $55k in the southeastern US before I walked away. However, I also have a degree, was a DTSM, and had shitloads of retail managerial experience.

I'm out of the retail biz now and would never go back. My pay is slightly less than what I was making...but now I work a 40 hour week with no nights and weekends. So, my pay per hour is now much higher and my quality of life has gone up immeasurably.

Meltdown
July 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I heard it is hell working there,

It is. Never worked there myself but I've known people who have.