PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

Freemason220
August 26th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Alright so we're all pretty much aware that this storm is going to hit the east coast pretty hard. I wanted to start this thread and see how many of you will be affected by Irene.

Also, I think all of you who are SMs and know you will be hit should have a game plan ready. You guys are the leaders of your store and the safety of the employees will be in your hands whether you like it or not. It will be up to you to make sure that if conditions are not safe to run business then you will have the store close.

You should all talk with every employee in your store and make them aware of your plan. The DMs rule means nothing compared to the safety of your people. If they tell you that you must open, and you know that it would jeopardize the safety of anyone....then FUCK THAT DM AND STAY CLOSED.

This storm is sure to cause mass power outages as well as substantial flooding. That store means less then rat piss compared to the safety of your employees and customers.

To all my friends up the east coast...be well and use common sense when contemplating opening your stores.

zooworker
August 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Been there, with Katrina and Gustov....

CoffeeCup
August 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Whats the logic behind them trying to force stores to stay open after natural disasters hit exactly? No one has power, so even if someone wanted to ignore the fact that their house is probably damaged and they couldnt drive to Blockbuster without hitting a bunch of trees scattered all over the road in order to rent Adam Sandlers latest Oscar contending movie...they wouldnt be able to watch it.

Elphabalives
August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
For once it's not my area that's getting hit. Rita and Ike were a big pain, though I wasn't working at BB at the time. We still got the little update in box office about hurricane preparedness = )

CoffeeCup
August 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Did the hurricane update say something like :

"In case of a hurricane, stack up all of Rob Schnider's movies over the windows to prevent flying glass and then it's business as usual?"

Cause that would be pretty awesome.

lucky me
August 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM

"In case of a hurricane, stack up all of Rob Schnider's movies over the windows to prevent flying glass and then it's business as usual?"

Yes. And it also said:

"PS - Don't forget to call in your 'hurricane special snack bundle' goal numbers by 5pm."

Veruka_Salt
August 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM
...they wouldnt be able to watch it.

Clearly these are people who would prefer to use their generator to watch the latest Sandler classic more than, say, boiling water or seeking emergency updates online. Oh, and for sure they will return the movie two weeks late demanding a full refund because the hurricane damage prevented them from enjoying it. ;)

chapter11buster
August 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Maybe their wishing people will use any remaning laptop battery they have on watching DVDs. All joking aside though, isn't this the first time ever a mandatory evuaction has been set for parts of NY, and they expect us to open?

djblade
August 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The following disaster protocol guide is available in the master folder on the computer (Master Folder/Program Guides and Instructions/ Systems Procedures/ Disaster Protocol Guides)
Emergency – Disaster Protocol Guide Hurricane – Store

just encase you need to review it

PickleBundle
August 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I had a customer ask me on Saturday "If the power goes out until Monday, can I get a refund on what I paid for the rentals?". I kindly told him that no power would be an awful thing to happen, but- no.

Glass Half Empty
August 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Cause that would be pretty awesome.

Actually they made us pull his latest cinematic classic-something about copyright infringement or some such nonsence.

Glass Half Empty
August 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Maybe their wishing people will use any remaning laptop battery they have on watching DVDs. All joking aside though, isn't this the first time ever a mandatory evuaction has been set for parts of NY, and they expect us to open?

I didn't read the hurricane preparedness Blockbuster bullshit protocol propoganda but in my experience with good old BBV- unless the police/mayor/governor tell you to say off the streets or you'll get arrested-Blockbuster will expect the doors open promptly at 10. Now if your store is under a foot of water then that is not open for discussion-even if your DM expects you to find someone who owns a boat to take you to work. I don't live in the path of Irene but know that my DM/RDOs thinking when we didn't have power for 8 days was that not all areas around us were without power-and this was true because we did have people come in to rent those 8 days. No matter what they say they will always put the companies bottom line first over their employees safety.