PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movie scores or songs in a movie.

SL_600
June 30th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Hopefully this is not a duplicate thread. Post your favorite song from a movie, past or present here. While it's not my favorite, I really like the song that's played in the trailer for Garden State. Let Go by Frou Frou. Perfect subject matter and mood for the movie. :)

Antithesys
June 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Let Go rocks.

And it's the WORST song on the soundtrack. So that will tell you a little something about the soundtrack.

ASM13685
June 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM
The Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back soundtrack, you just can't beat the random mix of genres of songs

MissHailstorm
July 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM
This is a bit cheesy, but I really love The Wedding Singer soundtrack. I think it's uplifting and really fits the movie well. Plus, it's a good and fun movie.

I'm going to say "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World, which was in The Butterfly Effect. Not because it fits the scene so well, because it's a great song. :)

Beer_Monkey
July 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Freddy Got Fingered Soundtrack

Anything with the Pistols on it rules!!!!

Usually a good score put with a movie enhances the movie itself people identyfy stages of their lives with specific music, and music in a movie helps you identyfy a specific point.

Woodstock
July 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Grease soundtrack. When I worked at another video store, we were able to watch that movie, and we used to sing along to it!

ASM13685
July 2nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Grease soundtrack. When I worked at another video store, we were able to watch that movie, and we used to sing along to it!
i now question you :D

CMurderCSR
July 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
I'm fond of Sad World in Donnie Darko. I'm not sure who sang it originally, but Evergreen Terrace did a really cool cover of it later on.

MissHailstorm
July 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Would that be *Mad* World? It was done by Tears For Fears originally, and it was a lot more upbeat then...

Big_Dumbass
July 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
I'm fond of Sad World in Donnie Darko. I'm not sure who sang it originally, but Evergreen Terrace did a really cool cover of it later on.

I believe you are speaking of "Mad World" originally done by Tears for Fears on The Hurting album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3c831vyjzzva

and yes, it is a great tune.

Big_Dumbass
July 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Missed it by 'that' much.

SL_600
July 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
I kinda like the the Snatch soundtrack. Especially the song Angel by Massive Attack which accompanies the scene where they burn the trailer with the mother still in it. I think it captured the raw emotion of the moment.

CMurderCSR
July 3rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
Yes, that was it. Thanks for letting me know who did it first as well.

SL_600
July 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Lose Yourself by Eminem from the 8 Mile soundtrack. It gets the job done.

whorehoppin
July 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Garden State had some great music, I especially liked Iron and Wine's "Such Great Heights"

anyone else think that the music in "24" is amazing?

tok'ra
July 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM
One of my favourite symphonic soundtracks was the music from the lord of the rings trilogy.
Also worth seeking out is a little known british film with Lisa Stansfield called "swing".

SavageUK
July 9th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I know Donnie Darko has already been mentioned, but I really like "Head Over Heels" by "Tears For Fears" in that. Not just the song, but the way it works with the scene. I generally don't like it when films or TV programs edit songs, but Donnie Darko cropped out a couple of verses seamlessly and it worked to great effect.

Oh shit! I forgot! "Hannibal" soundtrack all the way. I understand the main theme is a very classic Bach piece, but the way it is performed in that movie is very moody. "Hannibal" is one of my all time favourite films, and I still say to this day it is "The best made film ever". I like giving credit to films that people sometimes bash; I feel there is a LOT in Hannibal to enjoy and many people miss it.

BBASMChick
July 9th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Maynard James Keenan on the Underworld Soundtrack.

Lomithrandel
July 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I loved all the music in requiem for a dream and the theme for the hole :).

SavageUK
July 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Geez how could I forget Requiem for a Dream... What is Aronofsky doing at the moment?

Wrong Heaven
July 10th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I love Danny Elfman, and the score for "Edward Scissorhands" is my favorite ever. I also think John William's score for "Jurassic Park" is fantastic.

As for songs, I so want to just mention "Pearl Harbor sucks...and I miss you" from "Team America: World Police".

And "Mad World" in "Donnie Darko" is done by Gary Jules, and is the most depressing song I have ever heard. Love it so.

PolloDiablo
July 12th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I like Danny Elfman, he has a distinct style that is almost always instantly recognizable and though he has written many good scores I think much of his best work has been with Tim Burton. My favorite is probably Edward Scissorhands, an extremely beautiful and memorable score that has been emulated and reused time and time again. Also, his work on Nightmare before Christmas helped to make the film the classic it is, and it's even more notable when you consider that he not only wrote the music but also sang as Jack Skellington on the songs.

Philip Glass is also an amazing composer and his work in film has resulted in some truly beautiful and haunting soundtracks; Candyman, Truman Show, and The Hours were all wonderful. His work in Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi is also amazing, though the films are practically a showcase for his music.

Some other favorites are:

Peter Gabriel - Rabbit Proof Fence & The Last Temptation of Christ
Clint Mansell - Requiem for A Dream
Vangelis - Blade Runner

And though I didn't particularly like the film I thought James Newton Howards score to The Village was very nice, I like strings.

As for actual film soundtracks, lately I've enjoyed:
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
Lost in Translation
Garden State
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
In Good Company
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2

Quentin Tarantino and Danny Boyle are both directors that have a reputation for making films with eclectic and wonderful soundtracks, and when they release a new movie I get almost as excited about the release of the soundtrack as I do for the films themselves. I've been enjoying the two Kill Bill soundtracks for months now.