PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

Beer_Monkey
November 27th, 2005, 01:32 PM
For those that have read my posts on gaming you will probably find I have a thing about disliking Nintendo products. My mates missus has bought a DS for her brothers Christmas present off one of my mates and shes left it here whilst she fucks off to Uni. Now my big problem with Nintendo product is the fact that it churns out childish cutesy crap but having been exposed to this machine in a work environment and had a play with it I feel it has much more potential than the PSP which is basicly a machine of straight ports more or less from the PS2.

Now I am being rather Naughty in playing with this but I have become a little frustrated by the cutesy games that have come with it (The reason why my mate got rid). Does anyone have any good games for it which realise the potential of the machine which aint cutesy.

Beer_Monkey
November 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ok I got hold of Goldeneye Rouge Agent and thats pretty naff. I am starting to think that this is one machine that will never realise its full potential

MissHailstorm
November 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM
The GBA versions of decent PS2 games were more often than not totally shite. The best ones were exclusive GBA games. I can't really comment much on DS, as I've only got 3 games for it! One of them is Retro Atari (so it sucks), and the other two are cutesy cartoony games. :p

I played a demo of Metroid Prime Hunters, and that seemed pretty cool. But most exclusive DS games are gonna be made by Nintendo, and therefore cartoony!

Don't you even like Sonic...? :o

You have acess to the product, Monkey! I suspect you'll be able to tell us more than we can tell you on the DS games front...

Beer_Monkey
November 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Thats just it, to me the DS in theory is a better machine than the PSP but because Nintendo make cutesy games and RPGs there really isn'y a game for me on the machine that isn't made by EA(all graphics and PR with no gameplay) for me.

For the record I love sonic and was massively disapointed by Shadow the Hedgehog especially with its cool as metal Intro.

MissHailstorm
November 29th, 2005, 05:16 AM
I've been massively disappointed by all the 3D Sonic games... :( Sonic Advance 1-3 were all superb, though. They were exactly the old format (and if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but the graphics were much tidier, and increased functionality.

I head Shadow was crap. Never bothered to play it. I played Heroes and Adventure Battle 2, but couldn't really get into them. Give me the Mega Collection any day of the week. Mario, on the other hand, seems to have transitioned far better into 3D. I can't decide if it suits 3D better, or if it was just done better.

I suspect you're right about the type of games. However, it's not considered a problem for me as I like the cartoony games! I'm sure there'll be some good games down the line, once it catches on with the Western market.

Beer_Monkey
November 29th, 2005, 05:23 AM
The 3D mario games have good cartoony graphics but the gameplay is too RPG stylee. As for Sonic I agree give me the mega collection any day of the week which is probably why a lot of big game companies are finding it more and more difficult to produce good games but they are upping focus on big flashy graphics and sound and compromise on important things like Gameplay.

youthfulsm
March 19th, 2006, 06:21 AM
The thing about the DS that I love the most is that the games have that "old school" feeling to them, from the NES and SNES days. Having gotten rid of those systems a long time ago I bought my DS originally for Advance Wars DS and also for the remake of Mario 64. The best thing about it is you can honestly play classic Nintendo games but it is comparable to a N64 so you can still get real quality story lines in it, small "epics" but still.

I've been buying some GBA games and am honestly looking at the new Princess Peach game that was just released. It just looks like it might be a lot of fun and most reviews I've read are good, I wish my store rented out DS games but alas, there are no game rush stores in my district.....(even though I should be a GR store....or maybe that is wishful thinking)

Ah well, I figured I'd up this thread for the same of the PP game, see in perhaps any enlightened souls have bought/played/heard anything about it as well as possibly furthering DS discussion.

rk237
March 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I'm way way behind (still play the Nintendo system)..

But doesn't Nintendo still make Zelda or Metroid games? Blades of Steel? Street Fighter? Rock n' Roll Racing? Skate or Die?
I know I keep hearing about new Final Fantasies every now and then.

Those were awesome, and not cutesy at all :)

Beer_Monkey
March 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Youve got to look at it from a personal tastes point of veiw. Nintendo in the main produce cutesy games and RPGs both of which I don't like. You can't knock Nintendo for that as that is what their market appeals to. Nintendo are very big when it comes to Innovations, the revoloution is probably going to be a stunning machine but is the power of it going to be realised by another MArio game?

Don't get me wrong I love the old stuff as its what I grew up with but its time to make somthing fresh.

youthfulsm
March 19th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Youve got to look at it from a personal tastes point of veiw. Nintendo in the main produce cutesy games and RPGs both of which I don't like. You can't knock Nintendo for that as that is what their market appeals to. Nintendo are very big when it comes to Innovations, the revoloution is probably going to be a stunning machine but is the power of it going to be realised by another MArio game?

Don't get me wrong I love the old stuff as its what I grew up with but its time to make somthing fresh.

I know you said you don't like RPGs but that is the one thing I've always wished they would remake for GBA or DS, Mario RPD Legend of the Seven Stars. That is ranked in my top 5 all time and would fit perfectly with the duel screens, game on top menu on bottom or vice versa.

Been thinking about buying an SNES on ebay and that game just for the heck of it.

OzMan
March 19th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm way way behind (still play the Nintendo system)..

Atari 2600 4ever ;)

That and my old C-64... which I could get it back up and running.

Beer_Monkey
March 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I had both those machines

I have an Amiga 500 sitting in my drawer

MissHailstorm
March 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I was in a GameStation the other day, wittering on about how wonderful the Game Gear was... and the guy behind the counter tried to convince me to trade it in! For a fiver! Errr... I don't think so, matey... :eek: :mad:

Beer_Monkey
March 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
lol mainstream handhelds aint worth much theres too many of them knocking about

MissHailstorm
March 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
lol mainstream handhelds aint worth much theres too many of them knocking about
I wasn't surprised about the price, but of the cheek that he thought I'd take a fiver for it... do I really look that hard up? :D

Besides, it'd take a lot for me to part with my Game Gear... even though I've not played it for a few years... ;)

I also note GS give higher trade credit prices than BBV... :confused: