PDA

View Full Version : Playing real music in your store!

coldie
August 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I found a nifty way for taking advantage of Blockbuster's built in audio system for playing REAL fucking music on it. While I know that people paid good money for their shitty trailers to be played endlessly, I shouldn't have to suffer when I average one to two customers per hour in morning day shift or close to closing hours.

Any Americans who care to know how it works can PM for details, to do it you'll need just $4 (for a necessary cable), a little intuition, and something to pipe music from. Sorry Brits, I don't think our AV cables are the same as yours, but it wouldn't take much re-applying of the same method.

Anyway, I tried this out yesterday and it was such a pleasure to be working with Jack Johnson, The Beatles, Weezer, and a bunch of 90s hits playing in the background. Even the few customers who noticed it were enjoying it. One mentioned how nice it is that Blockbuster is finally playing some real music in the store, rather than bombarding with commercials.

Of course, I didn't show my cards. I figure as long as I keep it outside of mystery shop hours, keep playing clean music, and keep an open eye for corporate (who never visits my store since they're 62 miles away) I'll have no troubles.

c:nt
August 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
My walkman phone came with leads that connect to the PA system in my store.

I have played radio and mp3's through it, makes customers jump when the phone rings though!

rk237
August 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I found that a radio behind the counter worked well enough for me.

zooworker
August 19th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I found a nifty way for taking advantage of Blockbuster's built in audio system for playing REAL fucking music on it. While I know that people paid good money for their shitty trailers to be played endlessly, I shouldn't have to suffer when I average one to two customers per hour in morning day shift or close to closing hours.

Any Americans who care to know how it works can PM for details, to do it you'll need just $4 (for a necessary cable), a little intuition, and something to pipe music from. Sorry Brits, I don't think our AV cables are the same as yours, but it wouldn't take much re-applying of the same method.

Anyway, I tried this out yesterday and it was such a pleasure to be working with Jack Johnson, The Beatles, Weezer, and a bunch of 90s hits playing in the background. Even the few customers who noticed it were enjoying it. One mentioned how nice it is that Blockbuster is finally playing some real music in the store, rather than bombarding with commercials.

Of course, I didn't show my cards. I figure as long as I keep it outside of mystery shop hours, keep playing clean music, and keep an open eye for corporate (who never visits my store since they're 62 miles away) I'll have no troubles.
I use our DVD player to play CD's. No mess, no fuss. But be careful what you play.

MissHailstorm
August 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I use our DVD player to play CD's. No mess, no fuss. But be careful what you play.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I thought pretty much all DVD players play CDs now? Ours doesn't play burnt CDs, though, so no "work safe" compilations. :(

My walkman phone came with leads that connect to the PA system in my store.

I have played radio and mp3's through it, makes customers jump when the phone rings though!
Back when we were selling both 'Re-Voice' and 'Singstar' at the same time, we managed to connect a microphone to the amp, and used it to whisper "You want a bundle deal" over the speakers. :D

Angry
August 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I usually bring in my Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD in, and play it after 10pm on the weekends.

August 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Yes, I was wondering about that. I thought pretty much all DVD players play CDs now? Ours doesn't play burnt CDs, though, so no "work safe" compilations. :(

Back when we were selling both 'Re-Voice' and 'Singstar' at the same time, we managed to connect a microphone to the amp, and used it to whisper "You want a bundle deal" over the speakers. :D

Mine has a chime button, just like an airport tannoy. It chimes 4 notes, lets you make an announcement, then gently increases the music. Love it!

Use it just before playing the 'store is closing' dvd

Aphrodite
August 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Mine has a chime button, just like an airport tannoy. It chimes 4 notes, lets you make an announcement, then gently increases the music. Love it!

I dont care about the ip phone any more, I want one of THOSE instead :D

2for2pounds
August 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Stores with pc's bring your mp3 player and plug it in the usb socket, depending on your player you can open up your mp3's and listen on the monitor speakers and the customers don't even have to hear it

sar94pga
August 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
we listened to mars volta tonight after close :)

bbdude2002
August 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM

All DVD players have always played CDs. It's part of the DVD spec to be able to play 'redbook' CDs. CD-R and other formats will vary.

Jason
August 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM
You know if anyone gets caught playing music instore you would be suspended, you can get the company fined for it and taken to court.

The company has to have a Licence to play music, only a number if Blockbuster stores have this in the uk and its normally the ones with Gamestation inside as all Gamestation stores play music.

More infor http://www.prs.co.uk/retail/

August 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yer we all KNOW that, in the same way we are not allowed to play around with the store pc................;)

www.blockbuster.co.uk/employees_must_access_approved_applications_only :D

Aphrodite
August 20th, 2006, 02:21 PM
...but everybody does :p

barvermit
August 21st, 2006, 03:17 AM
We have a Gamestation - so we always listen to music, although we do have to have BBTV running on silent. We do have to keep on top of Gaystation though as they do tend to forget to change the CD and thus we get to ilsten to the same shit over and over again!

tok'ra
August 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
When our blockbuster dvd got mysteriously scratched/snapped/generally unplayable i used to play "A knights tale" "Grease" or even some of my Simpson dvds.
If i was there now, "The Producers" would be on all the time.:D

kyzaskiwi
August 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
You know if anyone gets caught playing music instore you would be suspended, you can get the company fined for it and taken to court.http://www.prs.co.uk/retail/

I think this only works during business hours, i dont pop in a cd while customers are in the store but once they leave, why should i have to close the store listening to the boring trailer, especially now that it seems to take a half hour to close the store every night....

August 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I think this only works during business hours, i dont pop in a cd while customers are in the store but once they leave, why should i have to close the store listening to the boring trailer, especially now that it seems to take a half hour to close the store every night....

If no public are around, then it cant be a public performance........