PDA

View Full Version : Is this job so stressful it's hurting our health?

Ridge
August 22nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
I've noticed a disturbing trend on this board of people mentioning co-workers that were hospitalized due to stress related illness. How many have mentioned it in the "Am I a bad employee for working two jobs?" thread? I've worked in my store for more than four years and in those four years, the SM was hospitalized with an unser, an ASM was sent to the doctors for stress related stomach problems, and this past summer, I started to feel like I was having an irregular heart rate. That to me says there is something seriously wrong. Does anybody else have some coworkers that suffered from some stress related disease while working at Blockbuster?

Meltdown
August 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
I suspect that BBV is a factor in many stress related health issues but I doubt it is the main cause for most. It depends on the situation of the employee.

For me, I am utterly UNstressed by anything that happens there. Why? Because I do not care if the company folds tomorrow. I don't care that my DM is too stupid to read anything above a third grade level without struggling. I don't care that our RDO is certifiably insane. I don't care that the company president and his band of cronies are running the company into the ground.

Why?

Because I choose not to. Because I have the financial means to quit tomorrow with no ill effects on my standard of living. Therefore, whatever happens at BBV is of no concern to me. I do my job. I do it well. But I'll be damned if I let that place stress me out. Oh....some of the customers bother me from time to time as they do all of us...but I don't sweat a visit from the DM or other corporate dickhead...because 1) My store looks good, and 2) I don't care if they fired me if they did happen to find something they didn't like.

But...

If I were not in this position, I would be a fucking wreck. If I were not in this financial position, I would be pounding the pavement DAILY to secure employment elsewhere. The company is buried under a mountain of debt. The leaders are utterly clueless. We spend too much time on bullshit busy work. EOLF. Etc, etc, etc.

What can be done? First, relax. Second, find a different job. For some, BBV is a fantastic place to work. For others it is a living hell. For those...they simply need to go elsewhere. No amount of bitching here or to corporate is going to change their mood.

Example? A store manager I knew just quit after being with the company for almost 5 years...4 as an SM. He was so wound up that he was drinking Mylanta out of the bottle. He looked like shit. He called me one day on the phone and was near incoherent because he was so stressed out. Four weeks later he's gone. What does he do now? He drives a tow-truck. He LOVES his job. The money he makes is about 1/4 less but he is a new man. He loves his truck and being outside most of the day. He likes not having employees to supervise. There is MUCH to be said about loving what you do even if it pays less. He's proof.

Angry
August 22nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
The last couple months have been hell on my health. Our DM is the acting SM, but she's never around, so I end up doing all the SM tasks. You wouldn't believe some of the time off people here have asked for over the summer (including managers). The problem is she kept approving all of it! I wasn't able to fill the schematics properly over the last month due to this problem (this includes managers taking time off).

Training 4 new people over the past few weeks, and 2 new managers hasn't helped my stress level either. This weekend was the breaking point when one of my SL's said he couldn't work his shift yesterday, but didn't request it off because "he didn't think he'd be scheduled on that day." I tell the DM, and guess who gets to work a double? Me! 13 and a half hours of working which included a 260 piece prp pull, 2 new csr's on (one of which can't handle a single transaction without calling me over), and putting out the movies (I had one of the new CSRs doing it, but he couldn't do it correctly! It's just putting movies and backer cards out!)

Luckily, one of my SLs offered to work today, so I told the DM I'm taking a holiday. I'm using the next few days I'm off to decide whether I want to return. It just isn't worth it. I always come home in the worst mood these days. My interview with the FBI was a success as well, so I'm currently going through that process. I really hope it happens for me, I think I've earned it.

SavageUK
August 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yes I don't think it's necessarily a problem for everyone. There really are some "born" retail workers, people who relish up-selling things to customers, but then there are some who don't. Sometimes I get a little stressed from work, but it's DEFINITELY not the job, the company, or the customers, it's the people I work with. I'm not digging at all the people I work with, and I don't want to specify who (like you'd know who they were anyway :)), but some can just make a shift go really badly, with just generally being lazy or annoying. When I'm shifted with certain people it'll be entirely stress free and I know what to expect. But others...

Links in with the "Team players" thread that's running at the moment. If everyone puts in the same effort that I do, I find the job is really enjoyable. But when people get sloppy, or lazy, or anything to effect, it can be draining.

Angry
August 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Yes I don't think it's necessarily a problem for everyone. There really are some "born" retail workers, people who relish up-selling things to customers, but then there are some who don't. Sometimes I get a little stressed from work, but it's DEFINITELY not the job, the company, or the customers, it's the people I work with. I'm not digging at all the people I work with, and I don't want to specify who (like you'd know who they were anyway :)), but some can just make a shift go really badly, with just generally being lazy or annoying. When I'm shifted with certain people it'll be entirely stress free and I know what to expect. But others...

Links in with the "Team players" thread that's running at the moment. If everyone puts in the same effort that I do, I find the job is really enjoyable. But when people get sloppy, or lazy, or anything to effect, it can be draining.

I agree. In an environment like this, it's key to have people you can count on, and work well with.

photoboy
August 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM
I've noticed a disturbing trend on this board of people mentioning co-workers that were hospitalized due to stress related illness. How many have mentioned it in the "Am I a bad employee for working two jobs?" thread? I've worked in my store for more than four years and in those four years, the SM was hospitalized with an unser, an ASM was sent to the doctors for stress related stomach problems, and this past summer, I started to feel like I was having an irregular heart rate. That to me says there is something seriously wrong. Does anybody else have some coworkers that suffered from some stress related disease while working at Blockbuster?

Any job can lead to stress. It all depends on how you are able to balance it. Some thrive, some don't.

Meltdown
August 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm using the next few days I'm off to decide whether I want to return. It just isn't worth it. I always come home in the worst mood these days. My interview with the FBI was a success as well, so I'm currently going through that process. I really hope it happens for me, I think I've earned it.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you've really made up your mind to bail out, the job should become less stressful right away because you'll be able to keep this thought in the back of your mind: SOON IT WILL BE OVER.

Best of luck to you.

Antithesys
August 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm having stress-related health problems, but though the job certainly doesn't help, I wouldn't call it the primary source.

sar94pga
August 22nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
I'm having stress-related health problems, but though the job certainly doesn't help, I wouldn't call it the primary source.

yeah, i agree, its kinda like the trickle down affect. if i spend the most part of my early morning yelling at my kid to pick up her shoes, get dressed, stop pulling the cats tail, get in the car, get your seatbelt on.....and then go to work....deal with some pissed off dildo that swears he returned his movie...to my blockbuster...when it should have gone to a blockbuster in colorado, give away my store to every customer that walks in, and give them a free month of blockbuster online on top of that. nevermind a staff full of people that need me to do something, or whine because of hours OR this one sister store of mine that INSISTS i cover her store on a weekly basis because she is too lazy to hire a SL......and then go home, pay what bills i can, chase after the kid...again...and then finally, at the end of the day...sit down and post on an internet forum that discusses mostly what i had done all day?

everything comes full circle. everything. everything from lighting your last cigarette backwards to that asshole that cut you off in the parking lot...it all adds up. stress is all encompassing.

1. breathe
2. drink lots of water
3. eat healthy
4. exercise
5. clean your house, even if its just one room
6. read a book, even if its just a chapter
7. talk to someone, get your frustrations out.
8. make a plan. for everying.
9. make lists. nothing makes you feel better than crossing something off a list that you have completed
10. breathe again.

:) noooooo, i am not stressed. but, it is a culmination of things. just work through what you can control and let go of the things you can't.

Jah
August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Really, the whole CSR aspect of BBV is fun, and really easy if you have quality customers. I see about 8 people I know from outside of blockbuster pretty much every day. Plus it helps that 90% or so of my customers are upper to upper-middle class white people. And the other 10% are really cool if you get to know them...this is why I really haven't contributed much to this forum...I have nothing to vent about. Sure I get occasional paranoid customer thinking that we give out CC information, hinting at a government conspiracy, and claiming to want to move to Canada, but I find the occasional stupid/annoying/angry customer makes the job a little bit more enjoyable.

brantheman
August 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
For the longest time we had a huge economy sized bottle of extra strength pain relievers (over the counter, of course), and always had a little candy dish in the back room filled up with the pills with a note that says "Keep our workplace headache-free. Go ahead and swallow me!"

Our DL said it wasn't work approrpriate and made us get rid of it :(

Still have the pills in the desk, just not with the cute note and candy dish.

zooworker
August 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
For the longest time we had a huge economy sized bottle of extra strength pain relievers (over the counter, of course), and always had a little candy dish in the back room filled up with the pills with a note that says "Keep our workplace headache-free. Go ahead and swallow me!"

Our DL said it wasn't work appropriate and made us get rid of it :(

Still have the pills in the desk, just not with the cute note and candy dish.
In our drawer up front we keep aspirin and anti acids. Both are needed all the time.

Ridge
August 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
In all of these threads, it always seems to be managment that has the health problems. My health problems seemed to start about three months ago, and I can't think of any cause for them other than being a SL at Blockbuster.

I shouldn't have been getting health problems becase I was on a healthy diet (until I started getting an eating disorder), I am in amazing physical shape having just finished 3rd place in a 8k race (yes, I like to brag about that) and didn't have any major financial or personal life problems. Since I got demoted back to being a CSR, my hearts back on track, I'm eating healthier, and I'm not feeling paranoid anymore. What does that tell you?

zooworker
August 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
In all of these threads, it always seems to be managment that has the health problems. Being a CSR seems to be a whole hell of a lot less stressfull. My health problems seemed to start about three months ago, and I can atribute it all to being a SL at Blockbuster.

I shouldn't have been getting heat problems becase I was on a healthy diet (until I started getting an eating disorder), I am in amazing physical shape having just finished 3rd place in a 8k race (yes, I like to brag about that) and didn't have any problems financial or personal life problems. Hell, I was even starting to get a little paranoid. Since I got demoted back to being a CSR, my hearts back on track, I'm eating healthier, and I'm not feeling paranoid anymore. What does that tell you?
I'm an ASM and I don't stress over this job. Hell, most stress is self made. It doesn't control me, and the asshole customers I just laugh it off.

brantheman
August 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
In all of these threads, it always seems to be managment that has the health problems. Being a CSR seems to be a whole hell of a lot less stressfull. My health problems seemed to start about three months ago, and I can atribute it all to being a SL at Blockbuster.

I shouldn't have been getting heat problems becase I was on a healthy diet (until I started getting an eating disorder), I am in amazing physical shape having just finished 3rd place in a 8k race (yes, I like to brag about that) and didn't have any problems financial or personal life problems. Hell, I was even starting to get a little paranoid. Since I got demoted back to being a CSR, my hearts back on track, I'm eating healthier, and I'm not feeling paranoid anymore. What does that tell you?

I loved being a CSR! I was getting 35+ hours a week (staffing issues, obviously), decent pay, and two days off in a row every week. All I had to worry about was checking in and running movies, and manning the register. If someone started bitching, I could say, "Oh, well, let me get the manager for you."

CSR no more...*shakes head*...CSR no more :(

Ridge
August 23rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
I wish I could do that. But seriously, what do you do when you have an asshole RM, who gives you a totaly unresonable sales goal and basically says, "Miss this goal 3 times and your fired?"

brantheman
August 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
I wish I could do that. But seriously, what do you do when you have an asshole RM, who gives you a totaly unresonable sales goal and basically says, "Miss this goal 3 times and your fired?"

The goals are a little silly. The online goals were a sinch at first, but now that we've given them away to practically every returning customer, and we can't double scan, even if they WANT one, and we HAVE to have an email to get credit....we're not meeting our goals. I miss Rewards. THOSE were more of a challenge and I still enjoy trying to sell them.

"Hey! I gave away 10 rewards today!"
..."Oh yeah, how many onlines?"
"........"
..."Do I need to motivate you more, Brandon?"

I remember four months ago if I even sold 3 rewards in one shift I was suddenly everyones favorite employee.

Spin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
In all of these threads, it always seems to be managment that has the health problems. My health problems seemed to start about three months ago, and I can't think of any cause for them other than being a SL at Blockbuster.

I shouldn't have been getting health problems becase I was on a healthy diet (until I started getting an eating disorder), I am in amazing physical shape having just finished 3rd place in a 8k race (yes, I like to brag about that) and didn't have any major financial or personal life problems. Since I got demoted back to being a CSR, my hearts back on track, I'm eating healthier, and I'm not feeling paranoid anymore. What does that tell you?

It tells me and you that a supervisory position is not for you. Either you can handle responsibility ... or you can't (not a dig, just fact).

My advice, stick to simple stuff, nothing is worth pushing yourself beyond your capabilities.

I'm a SL and I find the job easy...although I do have a great bunch working with me!!

smellmefingers
August 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
i do find this job stressful, because of all the sl, asm, and sm going in different direction. they always do their own side projects. And a certain sl never ever puts backs movies. I have worked there for two years, and only once have I seen him put back movies.

Meltdown
August 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'm eating healthier, and I'm not feeling paranoid anymore. What does that tell you?

That you aren't cut out to be a BBV manager and are much happier now that you are not.

This isn't an attack, just an observation. Some people are simply ill suited to perform certain jobs. I had mentioned earlier that my wife is employed in the medical field. Some of the stuff she has seen in the burn unit where she sometimes works is ghastly. It doesn't bother her at all. *I* on the other hand couldn't stand to be around that for more than a few moments before I felt my stomach doing unhappy slow-rolls.

I've described some of my days to her and she just shakes her head and wonders how I put up with that shit. We are simply better suited to different jobs. No more complicated than that.

OzMan
August 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM

At the risk of pissing some people off..... and realising that BBI makes things difficult.......

It's fucking VIDEO RENTAL!!! It is seriously the easiest job out there. I dread the day I have to go get a "real job";)

But more importantly than that, IF this or any other job is causing you that much trouble, you really do need to get out. Your health and well-being are NOT worth it.

They say that if you do what you love, you will never "work" a day in your life. Perhaps that is why I find this industry so easy. But if you don't love it, you should find out what does suit you.

No judgments, no insults. Just if you can't cut the stress, you NEED to get out and find something more suited to you. Don't do this to yourself.

sar94pga
August 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
It's fucking VIDEO RENTAL!!! It is seriously the easiest job out there. I dread the day I have to go get a "real job";)

no day like today :)

you know what? i take that back....i did miss you ;)

kyzaskiwi
August 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
my asm is in the hospital cuz he got in a car accident.. he fell asleep at the wheel and went to the other side of the freeway.. my sm is in the hospital for stomach reasons, i have no idea if they are work related..

but even i have been affected by the stress.. ive been getting alot more sick lately, more and more stomach pains and such..

it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case for most people.. blockbuster causes ulcers... im sure its true

but honestly, i dont find the job very stressful in itself.. the only stress is caused by the unreliable scheduling, the chaos with people leaving all the time or going in the hospital and trying to balance 2 jobs.. the rest of the job is fine with me..

SavageUK
August 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM
The thing that was getting me "stressed" a few days ago is getting a phone call every day, while I'm still asleep, from Blockubuster. Whether or not I pick it up doesn't matter, but they keep fucking calling me. I used to use the alarm on my mobile phone to wake me up, but now I put my phone on silent every night and have acquired a proper alarm clock. At least this way they can call me as much as they wanted and they get shit all answer.

Angry
August 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM
At the risk of pissing some people off..... and realising that BBI makes things difficult.......

But more importantly than that, IF this or any other job is causing you that much trouble, you really do need to get out. Your health and well-being are NOT worth it.

They say that if you do what you love, you will never "work" a day in your life. Perhaps that is why I find this industry so easy. But if you don't love it, you should find out what does suit you.

No judgments, no insults. Just if you can't cut the stress, you NEED to get out and find something more suited to you. Don't do this to yourself.

The job itself is easy, but eventually the people you run into on a daily basis (customers, new workers, etc.) drain you little by little with their rampant stupidity.

Aphrodite
August 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Agreed.

The video rental business is a breeze. The stress comes from the customers on their never ending quest to ask you stupider and more complicated problems.

OzMan
August 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Agreed.

The video rental business is a breeze. The stress comes from the customers on their never ending quest to ask you stupider and more complicated problems.

The customers are no worse than anywhere else..... you just need to laugh at the true arseholes.

It's not the industry and it's not the customers.... the ONLY thing that could make this job stressful is corporate bullshit.

My advice?? Get your resume done and get some interviews set up. Even if you decide to stay at BBI, knowing you have options will make you look at the job in an entirely different, less stressful light.

Ridge
August 25th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Agreed, it's not the actual work that's getting me stressed. I like the actual work for the job. What was stressing me out was the constant pressure that corporate was putting on me, and the stupidity of some customers. And before someone says "Dealing with stupid customers is part of the job" please feel free to show me where it specifically says in the job requirements for Blockbuster it says "Dealing with stupid people."

Seriously, after working for Blockbuster, I swore that I would never work customer service again. I am so sick of dealing with stupid people. When I had someone from Rent a Center call my house about a resume I posted on Monster, a small part of the conversation went like this.

RAC: So, what do you like most about working in customer service?

Me: ............. (I seriously went silent for ten seconds) Uhh, working with the public.

Yeah, it's preaty safe to say I won't get that job even if I wanted it.

OzMan
August 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM
please feel free to show me where it specifically says in the job requirements for Blockbuster it says "Dealing with stupid people."

That's retail for ya.

And believe me, if you think the customers at BBI are bad, you do NOT want to work at Rent a Centre (or any other furniture rental place). They cater to those people that come in to rent, then pitch a bitch about needing a credit card.

HardcoreKeith
August 25th, 2006, 04:21 PM
And believe me, if you think the customers at BBI are bad, you do NOT want to work at Rent a Centre (or any other furniture rental place). They cater to those people that come in to rent, then pitch a bitch about needing a credit card.

We have a customer that works at Rent-a-center. You would think he'd be understanding -- but no, he's a "oh someone just dropped something, that might be it" jackass too.

OzMan
August 25th, 2006, 05:40 PM
We have a customer that works at Rent-a-center. You would think he'd be understanding -- but no, he's a "oh someone just dropped something, that might be it" jackass too.

People that work in retail either become very understanding, or become total arseholes.... I think the latter is because they are just taking out the stress that was dumped on them onto someone else.

wazootybob
August 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
My interview with the FBI was a success as well, so I'm currently going through that process. I really hope it happens for me, I think I've earned it.

I wish you luck in that, but uh, I can think of a stress related health concern in that job. Bullet from a criminal?

apartment110
July 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, so this one's title seemed a reasonable fit. Anyway, I am really wondering if we in the U.S. should get some investigative reporter looking into the percentages of cancer among long-term employees at BB. I have worked with three women who worked as either ASMs or shift leaders at BB for 3 to 6 years; two developed breast cancer, and the other developed uterine cancer. One has since died. All three were under 40 when stricken, and all worked at different stores. I'm beginning to think that our standing hundreds of hours per year in front of a waist-to-chest high computer screen may have the same effect (read: radiation) as getting multiple chest x-rays. Anyone else find young co-workers developing cancer?

zooworker
July 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
You have got to be kidding..............

The Omen
July 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, so this one's title seemed a reasonable fit. Anyway, I am really wondering if we in the U.S. should get some investigative reporter looking into the percentages of cancer among long-term employees at BB. I have worked with three women who worked as either ASMs or shift leaders at BB for 3 to 6 years; two developed breast cancer, and the other developed uterine cancer. One has since died. All three were under 40 when stricken, and all worked at different stores. I'm beginning to think that our standing hundreds of hours per year in front of a waist-to-chest high computer screen may have the same effect (read: radiation) as getting multiple chest x-rays. Anyone else find young co-workers developing cancer?

actually studies are showing that bras are largely to blame for breast cancer...

I mean every woman who has breast cancer wears a bra, so it must be true!

Ridge
July 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It can't possibly be any worse than someone who works a desk job in an office, sitting in front of a computer for 40 hours a week. If anything, it's probbably got something to do with the environment, like the air or water in the area.

I know for a fact that there is something wrong with the water in my store. Every time I drink to much water from the drinking fountain, I get a soar throat.

HardcoreKeith
July 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
didn't Want To Start A New Thread, So This One's Title Seemed A Reasonable Fit

You Win At Life. Gold Star!

The Omen
July 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
You Win At Life. Gold Star!

careful gold stars cause cancer if not handled properly...

apartment110
July 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm serious about this. Its just starting to seem like some strange pattern that all of these young women are getting cancer. The one who died had told me that there was no cancer in her family, and she suspected that the monitors were the cause. I kind of brushed that thought aside until two more young women, with similar work and family histories became cancer victims. Now I'm just trying to see if this is happening elsewhere, and is more that just a coincidence.

HardcoreKeith
July 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm serious about this. Its just starting to seem like some strange pattern that all of these young women are getting cancer. The one who died had told me that there was no cancer in her family, and she suspected that the monitors were the cause. I kind of brushed that thought aside until two more young women, with similar work and family histories became cancer victims. Now I'm just trying to see if this is happening elsewhere, and is more that just a coincidence.

It's an interesting concern. Have you found any source regarding monitors producing harmful levels of radiation? I tend to think it might be some other environmental factor.

Antithesys
July 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Could EM radiation from CRT monitors be dangerous? Possibly, if the monitor is old or faulty and one is exposed to it all day every day for a very long period of time.

That doesn't describe us. First off, we don't spend all day in front of the computer. Only on the busiest shifts are you there for more than a few minutes at a time. You're there for a little bit, then you walk away. That level and type of radiation has no effect if it's not constant. It's like saying sticking your hand in a bowl of warm water for a few seconds once a minute is going to give you third-degree burns after three years.

Also, if you're worried about technology frying your body tissue, I'd take a closer look at all the gadgets you spend the other 16 hours of your day parked in front of. The average person is going to spend far more time watching tv and using their home computer and cell phone than using the register. And if we were getting sick based on the amount of time we spent at our computers at work, millions of office workers would be dropping dead every year.

rk237
July 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM

CRTs emit very little radiation. As in, sunlight is more dangerous.

ClutztomerControl
July 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
To answer the first question... Yes, Blockbuster has made me an Angy mother fucker from needless stress. Which is not good for my health.

Ghost of AtlanticVamp
July 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have a very Zen attitude about Big Blue: it is, until it is not.

Let me explain.

I was told the first four months of my tenure that I was going to be fired. EVERY DAY I was told if I didn't sell onlines (big-um push of late '06-early '07), my CSR job was in jeopardy. So, as much as I liked the job, I would go to work with my stomach in a knot. Then a weird thing happened: we switched to a Rewards drive, and got the same admonishment.

My then-SM is a "lifer" with the company, and was straight up with me that NO indeed you'll not be fired, you'll be fired for not trying. At least attempt the upsell. You can't force them. Like a miracle, my tummy pain went away, and I was able to get it that these things are cyclical, one push after another.

Pretty soon, we'll be pushing for the pre-sales of summer blockbuster movies and retail games. Then we'll be back on Rewards. Then Passes. And so on. As long as we try and sell, no one gets fired. One of these things will be the most important thing in the world to promote until it is not, and the next thing in the cycle is. Ooooommmmm...:p

This theory has served me well, through four DMs, three SMs, and three entire crews. And I am still here.

And, it is, until it is not. ;)

ClutztomerControl
July 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ahhhh, Venting is good.

sobedrummer
July 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I had always assumed that the security beacons put out a huge amount of EM radiation.
I had a magnet in my pocket that would vibrate wildly when it got anywhere near it.
You could set it on the counter near is and watch it spin in circles.
If anything would be causing cancer, it'd be those.

Ghost of AtlanticVamp
July 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I had always assumed that the security beacons put out a huge amount of EM radiation.
I had a magnet in my pocket that would vibrate wildly when it got anywhere near it.
You could set it on the counter near is and watch it spin in circles.
If anything would be causing cancer, it'd be those.

I think the vibrating magnet was there for another reason... ;)

Ninja
July 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I have stomach problems that have just recently started to get worse. I had attacks of pain at my old store, but I think that's because my SM was very...stressful. He's a stressed out person and he just emits it to everyone else. Don't get me wrong, he runs a store very well (the best I've seen anywhere else so far...) and he's not a bad guy, just...my tummy hurt :(

I'm not sure how long this pain has been going on though...
I have a hidascan tomorrow and an EGD next wednesday, they're going to see what's up. Ulcers probably...gallstones are looking slim...but we'll see.

turtletime
July 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM

no family history really doesn't mean anything. my mom and dad both have no family history of cancer. zilch, zip, nada. yet, my mom died in '97 from brain cancer. my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004, it went into remission and then, in 2006, he was diagnosed with lung and kidney cancer (and, yes, they are 3 different ones, not one that has spread to other organs). so, family history isn't a good way to gauge your chances. :(

as for the computer monitor causing it, it's doubtful. if that were the case, millions of people around the world would die everyday from their exposure. the amount of exposure one gets at Blockbuster is nothing compared to other places.

3.5starCSR
July 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It's very unlikely that harmful x-rays could be released from a CRT. However if damaged, the rays would would be emitted towards the back or sides of the monitor. If there were any directed toward the front, the screen would implode.

You should be more worried about cell phone radiation, and like rk said, the sun.

sar94pga
July 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
no family history really doesn't mean anything. my mom and dad both have no family history of cancer. zilch, zip, nada. yet, my mom died in '97 from brain cancer. my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004, it went into remission and then, in 2006, he was diagnosed with lung and kidney cancer (and, yes, they are 3 different ones, not one that has spread to other organs). so, family history isn't a good way to gauge your chances. :(

as for the computer monitor causing it, it's doubtful. if that were the case, millions of people around the world would die everyday from their exposure. the amount of exposure one gets at Blockbuster is nothing compared to other places.

i love you turtle :D

apartment110
July 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I feel a little more at ease now. Still, its just plain sad to see these young women going through such hell, and one dying.

turtletime
July 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM

aaah, sar! I love you too! :D

zooworker
July 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM

And I love ya both:D

Lomithrandel
July 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
time for some girl on girl action! let me get my camera

rk237
July 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM

Unfortunately I have a feeling their love is the huggie "you're nice," "no you're nice" kind that doesn't involve licking any part of each other. :rolleyes:

Could be mistaken of course. :p

turtletime
July 31st, 2008, 09:32 AM
And I love ya both

and we love you too!!! :D

why does that comment from you not surprise me?? :)

Unfortunately I have a feeling their love is the huggie "you're nice," "no you're nice" kind that doesn't involve licking any part of each other. :rolleyes:

Could be mistaken of course.

i'm thinking you're not mistaken, rk!! :D

zooworker
July 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM

Come on a group hug ;)

sar94pga
July 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
And I love ya both:D
we love you too zoo

:rolleyes:

lol no it was more like "i know what you are going through and it sucks..."

but there will be no liking of body parts.

getoffmybeach
August 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I always wondered about computers giving off radiation. While I was pregnant my OB/Gyn told me to limit my computer time to less than 10 hours/week. Thank goodness it was before I started at the Big Blue.