PDA

View Full Version : New Employee Mistakes.

Nudedos
August 22nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
We've all had them, and we've all had to deal with them. New Employees who have no idea what their doing. Whats some of the biggest mistakes you've witnessed?

Personally, it was a lady. Mid-40's who sat in the back for 3 days doing modules. She quit on the 4th day.

zooworker
August 22nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
We've all had them, and we've all had to deal with them. New Employees who have no idea what their doing. Whats some of the biggest mistakes you've witnessed?

Personally, it was a lady. Mid-40's who sat in the back for 3 days doing modules. She quit on the 4th day.
Why did she Even get hired then? Oh, I know why she quit, she finally realized the bullshit these modules are.

Nudedos
August 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Why did she Even get hired then? Oh, I know why she quit, she finally realized the bullshit these modules are.

They are bullshit, but considering she got upset when the window minimized and had to come up front to tell me the screen disappeared, adds a little to the suspicion, there’s more of a problem besides the Modules.

zooworker
August 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
They are bullshit, but considering she got upset when the window minimized and had to come up front to tell me the screen disappeared, adds a little to the suspicion, there’s more of a problem besides the Modules.
Well at least she tried. No computer experience should have showed up in the interview. :rolleyes:

brantheman
August 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
This thread will be fun :D

What pisses me off? New employees who:

Are constantly checking in movies.
Don't understand that checking the box once every hour or two is much easier.
Forget to LOCK movies.
Forget to UNlock movies upon checking out.
Tell you they can't find Grizzly Man on the wall.
Hit "Total" before scanning everything thus making me do credit after credit.There's more. Gimme time.:cool:

zooworker
August 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
This thread will be fun :D

What pisses me off? New employees who:

Are constantly checking in movies.
Don't understand that checking the box once every hour or two is much easier.
Forget to LOCK movies.
Forget to UNlock movies upon checking out.
Tell you they can't find Grizzly Man on the wall.
Hit "Total" before scanning everything thus making me do credit after credit.There's more. Gimme time.:cool:
I wish mine would do the checkins constantly, come on bran we need them on the walls so we don't have to write rain checks all the time.

brantheman
August 23rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
I wish mine would do the checkins constantly, come on bran we need them on the walls so we don't have to write rain checks all the time.

See, it sounds good. But there's one problem here. They never RUN them! And when they do, they take a fucking hour doing so! They just stand there checking in movie after movie, not letting the box have more than 5 returns in it at a time! They think, "ohh, I learned something! I'm going to be the check-in-MASTA!!!"....And then stacks upon stacks of movies just build up on the counter. And they're not seperated, mind you, they're just a big ol' mix of NR, NNR, and LOCKED GAMES! That's another thing!

New employees who lock the games and put them on the shelf.That probably varies from store to store, but at mine we have a huge file cabinet where we store the games and put "dead cases" on the shelf. Bah.

zooworker
August 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
See, it sounds good. But there's one problem here. They never RUN them! And when they do, they take a fucking hour doing so! They just stand there checking in movie after movie, not letting the box have more than 5 returns in it at a time! They think, "ohh, I learned something! I'm going to be the check-in-MASTA!!!"....And then stacks upon stacks of movies just build up on the counter. And they're not seperated, mind you, they're just a big ol' mix of NR, NNR, and LOCKED GAMES! That's another thing!

New employees who lock the games and put them on the shelf.That probably varies from store to store, but at mine we have a huge file cabinet where we store the games and put "dead cases" on the shelf. Bah.
Just get the whip out and use it. Tell them, "Don't run movies. NO BREAK"
works every time:D

brantheman
August 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Just get the whip out and use it. Tell them, "Don't run movies. NO BREAK"
works every time:D

There is one good thing about new employees, though. They're destined to do bitch-work for a while (sweep, vacuum, scrape gum off the floor, do windows, counters, push the game cabinets back, etc..). They're like little elfs who do whatever you tell them to - no questions asked.

It's the more experienced CSR's who say, "Pffft. Fuck you. I'm going to go smoke a cigarette".

Don't get sassy with brantheman! My SM is also my roommate. If I want you fired, you will be fired :cool:

zooworker
August 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
It's the more experienced CSR's who say, "Pffft. Fuck you. I'm going to go smoke a cigarette".

Now that's what I tell them.:D

brantheman
August 23rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Now that's what I tell them.:D

Ahhh, the perks of management.

CSR: Can I go smoke?

Me: No, you need to start on the closing duties.

CSR: Okay...hey! Where are you going?

Me: To smoke.

:D

Nah...I have one cigarette at work, IF that. I usually open so I'm all to my lonesome and can't go outside unless the store is empty. I usually don't even get half way through my smoke before someone pulls up and I have to put it out and go inside. :(

the boy wonder uk
August 23rd, 2006, 02:35 AM
If these guys are so shit then you need to ask who did the training?

And if they only know how to do 1 job well whos fault is that. Not thiers as they are new.
Please no slanging match over this post.

Jah
August 23rd, 2006, 03:00 AM
As a new employee I had a problem with checking mismatches on multiple disc dvds. I think I caused about $150 worth of mistakes my first couple of weeks. Thank god for my damn good people skills otherwise I probably would have been canned. But now I'm used to all of that stuff and do not make mistakes.

the boy wonder uk
August 23rd, 2006, 06:11 AM
But now I'm used to all of that stuff and do not make mistakes.

A brave man who can say he makes no mistakes.

Antithesys
August 23rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
All this debate about newbies doing returns without mentioning that no matter how often they empty the box, they routinely miss half the movies in the checkin process. Three-page FOS reports and "I got this message" calls every five minutes kinda suck valuable time away.

csb
August 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Three-page FOS reports Whats bad about that? Ours are often around 5 pages and there is less than 10 of thoese movies on the shelf.

igniteice
August 23rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
My SM is also my roommate. If I want you fired, you will be fired :cool:

... That should never happen, in any store. That's one of the easiest ways to make your SM biased towards you and other employees. He would basically favor you (or currently does.)

I think it's the same thing as saying don't mix pleasure with business. And by pleasure I don't mean 'sexual' (though if it's a girl involved... then, I guess I do.)

zooworker
August 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Nah...I have one cigarette at work, IF that. I usually open so I'm all to my lonesome and can't go outside unless the store is empty. I usually don't even get half way through my smoke before someone pulls up and I have to put it out and go inside. :(
Do what I do , put up a sign, saying be back in a few minutes, lock the door and walk away from the store where they won't notice you. Helps when you have a cordless phone.:D

photoboy
August 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Reading all these mistakes so I am aware ahead of time.

Jah
August 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
A brave man who can say he makes no mistakes.

I mean checkin mistakes. Of course I make other mistakes from time to time.

whorehoppin
August 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
new CSRs at my store are never trained by me...so that means that they have no idea how to do anything.

they, like everyone else has said, do not find mismatches, they usually forget to visualize the DVDs before scanning them, they put movies on the shelf w/out locks, they take a stack of 20 DVDs from the drop box and put them right out on the shelf w/out thinking they need to be checked in! They always have 7 stacks of movies sitting around the counters and have no idea what's checked in and what's ready to go. They can never figure out how to scan the barcodes quickly - it takes them 30 seconds to scan each movie. They lock game rentals and put them on the cart, sometimes on the shelf. They never ever unlock movies when customers rent them. They rent movies out to customers w/out checking them out - therefore the customer never paid for it and if they don't want to bring it back then we lose it as shrink.

Whenever I work with a new CSR that has been trained, I have to retrain them and watch every fucking move they make because they do nothing but screw up. I always tell them to watch the # of checked out items after they go thru a stack of 4 rentals and cash out the customer and it only says they have 2 items checked out - they can't understand why the customer only paid $8 for 4 rentals. Also, this fucking 3 for $10 deal...if I catch one more CSR scanning the barcode when someone brings up 2 new releases and 2 BSI movies on a Tuesday, i'm gonna strangle them! Do they really think the customer is getting a better deal when they pay $14 instead of $8?

when I started, I made some mistakes but not crucial ones.

oh and the biggest mistake of all....checking movies out to a customer's account because the person that showed ID had a similar name to the one on the account. i.e. - customer shows ID to rent, their name is Amy D Johnson on 345 Main St. - the CSR sees there are several customers with that name but not Amy D on Main, so they pull up Amy E Johnson on 489 Malibu Ave. and figure it must be close enough! Then that customer asks if they can have a new membership card so the CSR asks the MOD to print them one but the MOD offers them the Rewards membership and they go for it. Now this customer has a Rewards card for someone else's account and everything gets all fucked up beyond repair! Not only that, but the next time Amy D comes in she has her card and I ask her to update her account info, so she tells me her address and I change it along with her phone number. Then 2 days later, Amy E comes in to rent and has a free rental on her account, then I inform her that "RV" is 5 days late and she swears she never rented it! So then after arguing with her for 30 minutes she demands that I take it off her account, refund her for the movies she just rented and I close the account. So I do so and now both customers are fucked!

- based on true events

igniteice
August 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
That was truly awesome whorehoppin ;-)

OzMan
August 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
they usually forget to visualize the DVDs before scanning them,

You make your CSRs visualise?? They're checking in movies, not shooting foul shots:D

One of the worst clerks I hired quit 15 minutes BEFORE she was supposed to start.

The only thing I thought was, good, saves me from firing her later.... and saves me from wasting time on new hire paperwork.

What, me cynical??:D

Morbid Angel
August 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
My SM is also my roommate. If I want you fired, you will be fired :cool:

Actually, if corporate discovered you were shacking up with your SM, it's you two who would be fired. ;)

kyzaskiwi
August 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
ugh.. the new guy we got is EXTREMELY defensive.. at first i thought he was going to be a great worker but now its just explanations, excuses and more explanations.. its really starting to get annoying..

Every time he does something wrong, i, being one of his mentors, approach him on the issue so it will not happen again and then i get like a half hour explaination to why he did it.. I DONT CARE WHY HE DID IT. i KNOW why he did it, he did it because hes new and didn't know any better.. so please dont explain to me why you did it, please just dont do it again.. but every time, sure enough. and im not the only one that notices this.. other people do too (well the whole other 2 people at the store)

Also there are the dumb questions.. i teach him straightening tecniques and ask him to straighten the wall and bsi.. he straigthens the wall and says "i dont really have to straighten bsi right, it should be fine".. i look at bsi, movies on the ground, sideways, etc.. "you have got to be kidding me"... and then theres "i thought we were supposed to get out of here at 10:15.. cant i just go?"... hes always in a hurry to go..

hes also obsessed with the little things. he will hold up an entire line just to make sure to read aloud all warning and update all info.. but then i overhear him saying things like "well if you know anybody in town, you can rent on their account." ARGH! no you cant! only if you are an authrized renter. but i dont want to tell him this because then ill have to sit throught a 10 minute explanation as to why he was doing this in the first place..

lets see:
movies unlocked on shelf
life games on shelf
movies locked when rented
obsession with taking cart every time he runs even if its just a few movies
taking an hour to run just a few movies
does the drop box every 5 minutes
is incapable of doing cashdrops, letting me know when he needs change or organizing his drawer even tho i have told him several times
and lastly he checks in mismatches all the time

the other day he called a mismatch and the lady said she would bring it in.. so what does he do? he checks it in.. "well she said she was going to bring it in so i just checked it in for her"... watch, the lady will never bring it in....

oh well, at least he can only get better.. im not really mad at him, just venting the frustration... i still have high hopes for him and hopefully he will work out

of course he just submitted his availability during the school year as "only avalable monday and friday and wednesday only at night"...

fun....

brantheman
August 24th, 2006, 02:04 AM
... That should never happen, in any store. That's one of the easiest ways to make your SM biased towards you and other employees. He would basically favor you (or currently does.)

I think it's the same thing as saying don't mix pleasure with business. And by pleasure I don't mean 'sexual' (though if it's a girl involved... then, I guess I do.)

Oh, Iggy! You've got it all wrong! Firstly, yes, my SM is my roommate. Secondly, she (yes, my sm has a vagina:D) would never actually fire someone just because I said too! If that were the case I'd love all of my co-workers!:rolleyes:

And lastly, ewww, sexual. Haven't you caught on yet? I've been in a committed relationship for over a year with someone I care very much about...and it isn't my SM, and it isn't someone with a vagina, either:cool:

sar94pga
August 24th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Oh, Iggy! You've got it all wrong! Firstly, yes, my SM is my roommate. Secondly, she (yes, my sm has a vagina:D) would never actually fire someone just because I said too! If that were the case I'd love all of my co-workers!:rolleyes:

And lastly, ewww, sexual. Haven't you caught on yet? I've been in a committed relationship for over a year with someone I care very much about...and it isn't my SM, and it isn't someone with a vagina, either:cool:

unfortunatly Bran, no matter your sexual orientation, it is considered fraternization and favoritism. I just dealt with this with a SL and a CSR. 2 guys, not in a relationship of any kind, they just get along real well and thought that they might be good roomates. Alas, no. so, just becareful on who you tell and who knows already

i love ya, so i wont say a word ;)

the boy wonder uk
August 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM
You make your CSRs visualise?? They're checking in movies, not shooting foul shots:D

One of the worst clerks I hired quit 15 minutes BEFORE she was supposed to start.

The only thing I thought was, good, saves me from firing her later.... and saves me from wasting time on new hire paperwork.

What, me cynical??:D

Your caring aproach still works wonders then Oz

igniteice
August 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Vagina is easily one of the top 10 words in the English language. It's right next to revivify.

Aphrodite
August 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Iggy must have missed the memo :D

brantheman
August 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Hehehe. Oh, I'm well aware of the consequences of BB finding out me and the SM are roommates. That was an agreement that the SM and I had when I got hired on: Don't tell a soul. We've lived together for a few years now.

Hmm....I wonder what would happen if a SM slept with the DL...just wondering :D

SL_600
August 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Had a new-hire to walk out 30 mins after starting her first shift. She asked me to tell the SM that the job was not what she thought it would be. How she got confused about that is beyond me. Renting movies to customers, checking in returned movies and reshelving them, suggestive selling, general cleaning and restocking of merchandise. All which would have been mentioned and agreed to in the interview.

OzMan
August 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Had a new-hire to walk out 30 mins after starting her first shift. She asked me to tell the SM that the job was not what she thought it would be. How she got confused about that is beyond me. Renting movies to customers, checking in returned movies and reshelving them, suggestive selling, general cleaning and restocking of merchandise. All which would have been mentioned and agreed to in the interview.

"It was horrible. They actually expected me to WORK!!!! :( "

the boy wonder uk
August 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Was that a self quote Oz?

OzMan
August 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Was that a self quote Oz?

:rolleyes:

That was OBVIOUSLY what SL600's new hire said after she quit.

Please try to keep up:D

igniteice
August 27th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I found a list of questions that apparently someone was asking applicants during interviews... it was buried in a drawer at work ;-)

On the average, how many movies do you watch every week?

What is your favorite movie genre?

Are you a gamer, and if so what systems do you prefer?

Alphabetize the following titles:

Gladiator
Shakespheare in Love
50 Fire Dates
Platoon
The English Patient
Braveheart
An American in Paris
Chariots of Fire
A Man For All Seasons
Gone With the Wind
All About Eve

Which one of the above titles did not win an Oscar for Best Picture?

If asked, would you feel comfortable recommending a title to a customer?

How would you handle the following situation:
You are by yourself at the front counter. A customer at the counter is asking you a series of questions about their account. The phone starts to ring.

What do you feel are your greatest assets?

These questions are so fucked up...

Here we go. Anyone looking to apply - here are the answers.

I can watch as many movies as my schedule allows.
My favorite movie genre is '2-day New Releases.'
I can't play games; I'm too busy working and watching movies.
It's a trick question. You'd like me to fuck it up and list them alphabetically, but the real answer is that they need to be listed by their genres: comedy/drama/action/horror...

50 First Dates
All About Eve
Shakespeare in Love

Chariotes of Fire
English Patient
Gone With the Wind
Man for All Seasons

Braveheart
Gladiator
Platoon

American in Paris

Another trick question. The real question is clearly, which one of the above titles shouldn not have won an Oscar?

Only if the customer will remember to rent said movie and not dismiss it for When a Stranger Calls.

Tell said customer to shut the fuck up with the questions. Don't answer the phone - it's the guy from When a Stranger Calls.

I don't have any assets because I don't have a job yet.

brantheman
August 27th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I found a list of questions that apparently someone was asking applicants during interviews... it was buried in a drawer at work ;-)

On the average, how many movies do you watch every week?
What is your favorite movie genre?
Are you a gamer, and if so what systems do you prefer?
Alphabetize the following titles:

Gladiator
Shakespheare in Love
50 Fire Dates
Platoon
The English Patient
Braveheart
An American in Paris
Chariots of Fire
A Man For All Seasons
Gone With the Wind
All About Eve
Which one of the above titles did not win an Oscar for Best Picture?
If asked, would you feel comfortable recommending a title to a customer?
How would you handle the following situation:
You are by yourself at the front counter. A customer at the counter is asking you a series of questions about their account. The phone starts to ring.
What do you feel are your greatest assets?
These questions are so fucked up...

Here we go. Anyone looking to apply - here are the answers.

I can watch as many movies as my schedule allows.
My favorite movie genre is '2-day New Releases.'
I can't play games; I'm too busy working and watching movies.
It's a trick question. You'd like me to fuck it up and list them alphabetically, but the real answer is that they need to be listed by their genres: comedy/drama/action/horror...

50 First Dates
All About Eve
Shakespeare in Love

Chariotes of Fire
English Patient
Gone With the Wind
Man for All Seasons

Braveheart
Gladiator
Platoon

American in Paris
Another trick question. The real question is clearly, which one of the above titles shouldn not have won an Oscar?
Only if the customer will remember to rent said movie and not dismiss it for When a Stranger Calls.
Tell said customer to shut the fuck up with the questions. Don't answer the phone - it's the guy from When a Stranger Calls.
I don't have any assets because I don't have a job yet.

Haha! My interview actually went really smoothly. I was interviewed by the ASM at the time who didn't (and still doesn't) know that the SM is my roommate. All she asked me was if i'd after worked in retail, how was I with handling customers, am I comfortable with a job that continually switches from fast paced to slow, etc...

And of course I was asked that question about the phone ringing. I don't remember what I said in the interview, but when that happens to me I pick up the phone, tell them to hold, and finish up with the customer.

OzMan
August 27th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I'm going to go with Gladiator (the Best Picture that year wasn't even nominated :( Way to screw over the Pulitizer-winning author), and Shakespeare in Love (they couldn't BEAR to give Hanks three in a row)

compasshater
August 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Haven't posted in a while...

Newbs suck...but what sucks most is an SL that has been around for 2 years and stilld on't know what she is doing. I have been the ASM for the last 2 and a half years. I trained the very SL in question. She knew everything perfectly well and did a good job Then she got pregnant and it seems to have caused to have forgotten even the most basic rules. We have a very anal DL that makes us sign off on any policies that he deems "VITAL".

Anyways, the SL signed off on a bucnh of these policies a while ago. But lately she has been violating them all the time. I have had a talk with her repeated amount of times. She's even started rumors that I want her fired (I do...but haven't told anyone yet). Every time I confront her, she claims that she was never informed of the policy. Two weeks ago, she allowed another employee to violate the trade policy. I and the store Manager confronted her and she started crying saying that it wasn't fair and that we were picking on her. She called the DL on us and explained everything. Our DL told us to pull up one of those signed policy statements and sure enough we found the one concerning trades with her signature on it. We showed it to him and her. She then said she had not read the sheet and just signed off on it. She then said that it shouldn't apply to her cause she didn't read it. The DL issued her a final warning. She refused to sign it saying that she was a target of a witch hunt.

She isn't the most pleasant person to work with and we've had 2 CSRs quit on her. They got fed up of having to do everything on her shift while she sat at the desk eating and talking on the phone. (The SL claims these are lies...though we have 3 months of video evidence). The problem with this is that my SM doesn't like firing people and allows her to stay on.

photoboy
August 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Thurs will be my first day. I will be learning ES postion for the holiday weekend. I assume this will be the bitch positon....

What common mistakes will I make? SO I won't make them lol

AbandonedDreams
August 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM

How do you guys pull off the whole address thing? Doesn't anyone notice, or did one of you put down a phony addy?

OzMan
August 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
How do you guys pull off the whole address thing? Doesn't anyone notice, or did one of you put down a phony addy?

Different mailing addresses. Maybe a PO Box and the street address (there are places in this country without home mail delivery...... you have a PO box and walk down to the post office... anything sent to your physical home address also gets put in the PO Box). Using your parents' address. It's really not that difficult to do.

igniteice
August 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Thurs will be my first day. I will be learning ES postion for the holiday weekend. I assume this will be the bitch positon....

What common mistakes will I make? SO I won't make them lol

Not engaging enough customers. Not engaging customers within 2 minutes of entering store. Not greeting customers. Not holding customers' hands. Not hitting on hot female customers.

URBAN_COWBOY
August 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM

What common mistakes will I make? SO I won't make them lolMy personal opinion is this is the absolute worst position to be in on your first night. You (meaning employees in general) don't know where anything is yet. One of your key questions to customers is supposed to be "Can I help you find anything in particular." How the hell do they expect you to do that? In my store, an employee didn't get to be ES until they had been there at least a month. They had to know the store, plus all the current promotions front and back. This is the employee that most customers will have any real first contact with. It shouldn't be someone who has to run up to the front every 5 seconds to look for something. Good luck though.

Couple of helpful hints. Greet every customer. Keep your eyes peeled. You are the first line of defense against theft. Keep moving around the store. Don't get stuck in one spot. Don't annoy the shit out of customers. Never ask more than twice if you can help them find something, unless they look suspicious. Then ask 5000 times. They will get the hint you are watching them.

OzMan
August 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
My personal opinion is this is the absolute worst position to be in on your first night.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the SM should be the one on the floor. ANYONE can run a register (if not, they certainly shouldn't be working in retail), the SM shouldn't be wasting his/her time there, they should be out where they can actually accomplish things.

First day, the employee should be running returns (to learn the set up of the store) and minor cleaning. And the first day of work should NOT be a shift busy enough to have an ES.

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the SM should be the one on the floor. ANYONE can run a register (if not, they certainly shouldn't be working in retail), the SM shouldn't be wasting his/her time there, they should be out where they can actually accomplish things.

First day, the employee should be running returns (to learn the set up of the store) and minor cleaning. And the first day of work should NOT be a shift busy enough to have an ES.

yeah, i am the bitch in the red apron when i work peaks. i am a shitty seller, so it just makes more sense to me. It allows me to make sure all customers are being erm "serviced".

but to work a peak on your first shift....on the floor.....hmmmm. not sure about that.

yousickf'ingbastard
August 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
yeah, i am the bitch in the red apron when i work peaks. i am a shitty seller, so it just makes more sense to me. It allows me to make sure all customers are being erm "serviced".

but to work a peak on your first shift....on the floor.....hmmmm. not sure about that.

well you gotta keep your customers serviced at the peak times :D

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
well you gotta keep your customers serviced at the peak times :D

thats what the apron is for. you would be amazed at the shit you can keep in the pockets :D

yousickf'ingbastard
August 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
how i would love to work in your store :D

URBAN_COWBOY
August 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM

First day, the employee should be running returns (to learn the set up of the store) and minor cleaning. And the first day of work should NOT be a shift busy enough to have an ES.I never worked register on peak shifts. I was always the ES. I actually liked it. My store was in a small town. The customers liked that personal touch from the SM. Made them feel like you really wanted their business.

I agree with your second point. I actually always gave my new employees their first weekend completely off. No Friday, No Saturday, maybe a Sunday morning (we were dead on Sunday mornings). By the time they worked on a weekend, they had at least 5-6 shifts minimum on the till and running movies.

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I never worked register on peak shifts. I was always the ES. I actually liked it. My store was in a small town. The customers liked that personal touch from the SM. Made them feel like you really wanted their business.

I agree with your second point. I actually always gave my new employees their first weekend completely off. No Friday, No Saturday, maybe a Sunday morning (we were dead on Sunday mornings). By the time they worked on a weekend, they had at least 5-6 shifts minimum on the till and running movies.

i actually have new hires do all their modules in compass. the training is set up to step by step train. they do the drop box module, then they go process the drop box...ect. and yeah, I do all my training in the morning on weekdays. its slow and i can actually work with them instead of point them in the right direction.

URBAN_COWBOY
August 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
i actually have new hires do all their modules in compass. the training is set up to step by step train. they do the drop box module, then they go process the drop box...ect. and yeah, I do all my training in the morning on weekdays. its slow and i can actually work with them instead of point them in the right direction.worked for a franchise, none of this Compass that you speak of. Had to actually teach my employees with a lot OJT and some TLC (especially the hot ones).:D

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
worked for a franchise, none of this Compass that you speak of. Had to actually teach my employees with a lot OJT and some TLC (especially the hot ones).:D

oh of course the hot ones. they are the ones that recieve the "special" training. and those are the ones that you want to stick around. haha.

URBAN_COWBOY
August 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
oh of course the hot ones. they are the ones that recieve the "special" training. and those are the ones that you want to stick around. haha.yeah, I always found it amazing how much better my hot employees were. They seemed to get a lot more hours and a lot more training time with me. hmmmm, wonder how that worked out.:D

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
yeah, I always found it amazing how much better my hot employees were. They seemed to get a lot more hours and a lot more training time with me. hmmmm, wonder how that worked out.:D

glad to know that i am not the only one....haha

igniteice
August 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
yeah, I always found it amazing how much better my hot employees were. They seemed to get a lot more hours and a lot more training time with me. hmmmm, wonder how that worked out.:D

I am lacking on the hot females applying at my store... how can I boost this?

"Now hiring*

Pick up an application inside!

*Hot females"

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM
oh of course the hot ones. they are the ones that recieve the "special" training. and those are the ones that you want to stick around. haha.
Oh I had a CSR from victoria secret. Damn She was hot! :D

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM

"Now hiring*

*Hot females"

place an add in playboy!

"Blockbuster is looking for a few hot girls. experiance is not required. just a huge rack and bikini's" :rolleyes:

URBAN_COWBOY
August 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM

"Now hiring*

*Hot females"I have no idea how I got so lucky. I turned away so many just due to too many employees. Most of them new each other too. I hired one and I guess word got out. In spite of being an asshole on here, I was fun to work for. Next thing I know, I have 10 employees, 6 of them hot girls.

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I have no idea how I got so lucky. I turned away so many just due to too many employees. Most of them new each other too. I hired one and I guess word got out. In spite of being an asshole on here, I was fun to work for. Next thing I know, I have 10 employees, 6 of them hot girls.

funny, my staff is the exact opposite. mostly hot guys......

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Duh, A female manager........:D

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Duh, A female manager........:D

i have girls too. gawd.....:cool:

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
i have girls too. gawd.....:cool:
And are they hot......:confused:

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM
And are they hot......:confused:

not as hot as me! haha. they are cute too...gatta do whats best for the customer!!!

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM
not as hot as me! haha. they are cute too...gatta do whats best for the customer!!!
Ok, I have a pic of you up for bid, And she is hot!!!!!!

sar94pga
August 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Ok, I have a pic of you up for bid, And she is hot!!!!!!

HEY....no. :)

brantheman
August 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Can I transfer to your store? ;)

Oh and...

http://myspace-116.vo.llnwd.net/00879/61/11/879731116_l.jpg

It's Sar!!:D

Bigleazy333
August 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
The worst mistake i've seen a newbie make was when one checked out EIGHT!! X360 on an acct. Not only that but the account was unsecured. And on top of that he was a transfer from the busiest store in the region, so either that store didn't follow the policy on X360 games, or the newb is just a putz. Oh and of course the games never came back and I had to write off well over $450.00 of product. My SM and DL were thrilled.

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
The worst mistake i've seen a newbie make was when one checked out EIGHT!! X360 on an acct. Not only that but the account was unsecured. And on top of that he was a transfer from the busiest store in the region, so either that store didn't follow the policy on X360 games, or the newb is just a putz. Oh and of course the games never came back and I had to write off well over $450.00 of product. My SM and DL were thrilled.
It's called poor training and no communications to your csr's.

Bigleazy333
August 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
The communication was there. Right on our 360 games drawer, we had slapped a big ONLY TWO 360 GAMES PER ACCT, MUST HAVE CREDIT CARD TO RENT!! sign, it's a newb trying to hard to get everything done to fast and not paying attention.

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
The communication was there. Right on our 360 games drawer, we had slapped a big ONLY TWO 360 GAMES PER ACCT, MUST HAVE CREDIT CARD TO RENT!! sign, it's a newb trying to hard to get everything done to fast and not paying attention.
Then it's corrective action time, nip it in the bud, so nobdy else will screw up as bad. By the way check this csr's freinds account and see what's up.

brantheman
August 27th, 2006, 11:50 PM

How in the hell?! Eight?

We only allow one-out for the 360 game. And only on secured accounts, of course.

zooworker
August 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
How in the hell?! Eight?

We only allow one-out for the 360 game. And only on secured accounts, of course.
I'm also was wondering where was the mod during this , while they had 8 games pilled on the counter to be checked out.:confused:

brantheman
August 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm also was wondering where was the mod during this , while they had 8 games pilled on the counter to be checked out.:confused:

Seriously. WTF?

For a $450 write off, i'd say someone would be losing their job at my store.

Mr.King
August 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Here's a good one from one of the new girls we hired the other day
-Movie locked on the shelf, but when it came time for someone to rent it, it's empty AND not checked in.
Explain how someone manages those two mistakes all in one shot...?
Also (the same girl) by the end of her shift, managed to be short $162 from the till, and $60 the next time.
You have to wonder how the SM still hasnt fired her.

igniteice
August 28th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Internal theft on both accounts (the girl being short that much, and the 8 xbox 360 games.)

HardcoreKeith
August 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
We haven't had any cute female employees in a while, but we've got a couple handsome male ones (no, not me) at the moment. One of our male CSRs gets propositioned roughly once per shift.

kyzaskiwi
August 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM
we have had soo many autosold fos on the shelf.. and we just did inventory 2 weeks ago.. I was going crazy pulling hair out of my scalp about the fact that so many asales might not be valid and that they might be fos when it occured to me that nobody taught the new guy how to deal with the autosold stuff! so he is just running them! so the movies were asold before fos.. which makes a hell of alot more sense! i hope i dont forget to correct him next time i see him!

also been bugging me: never asks to leave.. just clocks out and is all "okay im leaving, bye"... constantly asks about when his lunch or break is.. but then says "well i dont really mind, i was just curious".. (honestly, if you didn't mind, you wouldn't ask!).. and hes still letting people rent on other peoples accounts or their own without id!!!

ARGH!

zooworker
August 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Can I transfer to your store? ;)

Oh and...

http://myspace-116.vo.llnwd.net/00879/61/11/879731116_l.jpg

It's Sar!!:D
More like bran.........:D