PDA

View Full Version : Found an old trailer tape...

Antithesys
August 29th, 2006, 05:00 PM
The new SM is cleaning out the back, and throws out a whole bunch of really old crap. While taking it to the trash, I see a tape fall out of one of the bags. A trailer tape! Yay!

For those who've been with the company less than two or three years and only know about the trailer DVD, this is what the trailer tape used to be.

- You get them once a month, not twice a month
- You get two tapes at once, each with slightly different material on them. They were each 2 hours long.
- You watched one, and when it ended, you had to go and put in the other one, and put the first one in the rewinder. Repeat all day long.

This one was Part 2 (the second tape) for March 25th-April 22nd, 2002. I brought it home and skimmed through it.

New releases advertised: Training Day, K-Pax, Spy Game, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, O, Original Sin, Thirteen Ghosts, Life as a House, The Skulls 2, Road Trip, Riding in Cars With Boys, Kiss of the Dragon, Bones, The Fast and the Furious, Jeepers Creepers, Heist (Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money), Rat Race, Sleep Easy Hutch Rimes, Novocaine, Bandits, How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog, A.I., The Last Castle, Off Season, The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, Mulholland Dr., Lush, Pendulum, The Musketeer, The One, The Circuit, The Frightening

Spotlights: Road Trip (spring break comedies), Kevin Spacey, Cate Blanchett, Kenneth Branagh, Steve Zahn, Irwin Winkler, Embeth Davidtz, Sundance Recommends

Music Videos (full ones!): Alison Krauss - "Let Me Touch You For A While", Great Big Sea - "Sea of No Cares", Cher - "A Song For the Lonely" (very tasteless 9/11-themed video), Chris Issak - "Let Me Down Easy"
The VH1 vj was "Zeke". Yay, Zeke.

Lots of Navy commercials (c'mon, join, it's not like you'll ever be sent to war or anything...)

Plenty of DirecTV and AOL ads

A Nick at Nite ad, something about funky sweaters and Cosby dancing. I don't remember it at all

Freebie.com! "Hi I'm your receipt. Usually you toss me away like a used candy wrapper." "Yo, receipt!" "Yo, wrapper!"

Sundance and Blockbuster want to bring home a film festival! (Malkovich: "What exactly does that mean?")

Carl and Ray: Ray juggling various small animals to get "rewards"

Games: State of Emergency, All-Star Baseball 2003, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter (the events of Episode II rapidly approach!), Knockout Kings 2002, Virtua Fighter 4, Sled Storm, NBA 2K2, 007 Agent Under Fire

Tiger Woods: I like sports. But you gotta know which game is right for you!

The future of gaming is here! Microsoft Xbox!

Let the fun begin with Nintendo Gamecube! Gamecube is a huge technological leap and will set the standard for games to be played in the next generation!

Trivia (and I'm not making this up): Which actor has been named one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the World more than once, and is married to actress Jennifer Aniston? Yep, it's actor Brad Pitt.

Chet, the video game trainer. "Be strong, Rome wasn't built in a day! Lift with the legs, Morgan! I treat each client like a lump of clay. Be the controller! Why videogames? I don't like to, uh, move a lot. Blockbuster. Are ya game enough?"

I wish it had more annoying stuff on it (being spring '02 I was hoping it would have "we gonna RISE UP") but it was still fun to take a short trip down memory lane. It was funny recognizing a lot of the audio, but absolutely none of the video, since you don't actually get to see a lot of that while working.

Killer26
August 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Cool Beans

rk237
August 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM
The new SM is cleaning out the back, and throws out a whole bunch of really old crap. While taking it to the trash, I see a tape fall out of one of the bags. A trailer tape! Yay!

For those who've been with the company less than two or three years and only know about the trailer DVD, this is what the trailer tape used to be.

- You get them once a month, not twice a month
- You get two tapes at once, each with slightly different material on them. They were each 2 hours long.
- You watched one, and when it ended, you had to go and put in the other one, and put the first one in the rewinder. Repeat all day long.

They were blue too, if I recall.

This one was Part 2 (the second tape) for March 25th-April 22nd, 2002. I brought it home and skimmed through it.

New releases advertised: Training Day, K-Pax, Spy Game, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, O, Original Sin, Thirteen Ghosts, Life as a House, The Skulls 2, Road Trip, Riding in Cars With Boys, Kiss of the Dragon, Bones, The Fast and the Furious, Jeepers Creepers, Heist (Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money), Rat Race, Sleep Easy Hutch Rimes, Novocaine, Bandits, How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog, A.I., The Last Castle, Off Season, The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, Mulholland Dr., Lush, Pendulum, The Musketeer, The One, The Circuit, The Frightening

Oh man I can remember lines from many of those trailers.

Training Day: "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!"
K-PAX: "Your produce alone has been worth the trip."
Spy Game: "It seems Mr. Muir has been working against us from the start."
Riding in Cars with Boys: (lots of screaming and yelling)
Fast and the Furious: "'cause HE kept me out of handcuffs!"
Bandits: "You're going to knock over a bank with a magic marker?"
The Last Castle: "What are you doing? Saluting, sir. Oh no!"

Well that was fun. Thanks Antithesys. :D

Antithesys
August 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sleep Easy Hutch Rimes: "I've seen your true colors, and they're yellow."

They were never blue for us. It may have differed by region. The tape says "Version 1, Part 2" so if there was a Version 1 I'm willing to bet there was a Version 2. On the Steve Zahn spotlight it began by saying "Minnesota native", which would seem out of place in any other area (we go nuts for anything related to MN). It's possible other versions may not have had the Zahn spotlight at all.

igniteice
August 29th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Sleep Easy Hutch Rimes: "I've seen your true colors, and they're yellow."

They were never blue for us. It may have differed by region. The tape says "Version 1, Part 2" so if there was a Version 1 I'm willing to bet there was a Version 2. On the Steve Zahn spotlight it began by saying "Minnesota native", which would seem out of place in any other area (we go nuts for anything related to MN). It's possible other versions may not have had the Zahn spotlight at all.

Damn - why? What state are you in? ;-P

KAWLIGA
August 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
"THIS IS MY BACK" RULES ALL TRAILER TAPES!!
(I probably said that 50 times a week to employees and random customers just to see the reaction...)

OzMan
August 29th, 2006, 07:51 PM
"THIS IS MY BACK" RULES ALL TRAILER TAPES!!
(I probably said that 50 times a week to employees and random customers just to see the reaction...)

If you ask nicely, maybe someone will deliver a trailer tape to you :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just have to start......;)

Aphrodite
August 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Its his own fault :p

brantheman
August 29th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I'd much rather discover an old trailor from the 80s instead.

"Coming this week to Blockbuster! A little boy makes a wish on a machine and magically goes from 13 to 30 and loses his virginity to someone old enough to be his mother! Tom Hanks is....Big!"

OzMan
August 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM

"Coming this week to Blockbuster! A little boy makes a wish on a machine and magically goes from 13 to 30 and loses his virginity to someone old enough to be his mother! Tom Hanks is....Big!"

Really old trailers are fun. I'm talking 40s, 50s, even 60s. The trailer for Casablanca is just so....... undescribable.

kyzaskiwi
August 30th, 2006, 12:31 AM

wow... is it just me or where there ALOT more hits coming out back then than there are nowdays.. almost every one of those movies has had hundreds of rents while some movies that were new releases just a year ago today are still sitting around with just 20 or so rents.. hmmm....

DavidNewlySL
September 8th, 2006, 10:55 PM
They were blue too, if I recall.

Oh man I can remember lines from many of those trailers.

Training Day: "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!"
K-PAX: "Your produce alone has been worth the trip."
Spy Game: "It seems Mr. Muir has been working against us from the start."
Riding in Cars with Boys: (lots of screaming and yelling)
Fast and the Furious: "'cause HE kept me out of handcuffs!"
Bandits: "You're going to knock over a bank with a magic marker?"
The Last Castle: "What are you doing? Saluting, sir. Oh no!"

Well that was fun. Thanks Antithesys. :D

They actually bring back some of the old videos, they still play that Who's line is it anyway commercial, that was on back in 2002. I remember half of those tapes, sad enough, I remember the Nelly video always playing and that one crappy country song Whos' your daddy.

BBVTyrant
September 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM

The 80's had some really good jingles, too. I remember, "Wow! What a difference ... Blockbuster Video!!"

wazootybob
September 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I remember timing my day around the trailer tape. Static, "Huh, it's noon." Static, "Huh, two o'clock." Static "4 o'clock, one more hour. . ."

In reference to Heist Mamet needs to be shot out of a cannon for that line. What the hell does it mean? Everybody needs money that's why it's called money?! My new movie has a similar line, everybody needs pants, that's why they're called pants. It sounds uber cool but it means absolutely nothing, I guess maybe the actor delivering it would be different too. If Samuel L. Jackson said it I'd be on here saying how awesome it was.

Chet, the lamest marketing tool, though slightly funny. I hated the VJ with the crazy spiked hair.

rk237
September 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM
In reference to Heist Mamet needs to be shot out of a cannon for that line. What the hell does it mean? Everybody needs money that's why it's called money?! My new movie has a similar line, everybody needs pants, that's why they're called pants. It sounds uber cool but it means absolutely nothing

I agree. Everybody needs air too, so how come air isn't called money? :D

csb
September 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Freebie.com! "Hi I'm your receipt. Usually you toss me away like a used candy wrapper." "Yo, receipt!" "Yo, wrapper!"Ah-Ha! now (http://web.archive.org/web/20020526003742/http://www.freebie.com/) I think I know why a MP customer's son was collecting their receipts, but that website has been gobbled up by a harvester, maybe thats why he stopped.

SaintGRW
September 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I would have to say the coke lime one has been my favorite to date. The one that's really stupid right now is the rent movies legally it's good karma. I've rented movies legally for years and I never just have a cute girl standing in front of me when I go to a neighbors.

I'm not sure if anyone else works at a slow store but I really get tired of listening to the trailer for instance tonight. 6-11pm we did $100 it was DEAD. Out of the 5 hours there were maybe customers in the store for a total of 45 minutes of it and me and my CSR had to listen to the trailer the whole night absurd.