PDA

View Full Version : crash a blockbuster computer w/ 2 buttons

Animatedream
September 8th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Hold down the alt key and press 8 (not numpad 8). I want to know if this works at other stores. Every store I've tried it at it will lockup the computer requiring it to be restarted. This discovered after having to find scan codes for a couple keys because the keyboard disastrously remapped itself and we couldn't fix it. All because the POS system at blockbuster sucks that much. I'm a computer science major and I could make a long list of things I would fix in about fifteen minutes given a chance to smack the programmers aside at blockbuster. Why do we run a command-line based point of sale program out of dos still anyways? Anyways forgive my tendency to ramble.

SavageUK
September 8th, 2006, 05:04 AM
It's running on Microsoft DOS???? Thought it was just Blockbusters own proprietary system.

Animatedream
September 8th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Do you work at blockbuster? Ok if so and yours is anything like mine you have one nice computer with windows and the compass system. If you run POS from that it starts from running from a windows dos prompt. However if you go to one of the registers and hit reset on a computer and watch the screen closely you'll see the dos portion of the startup sequence. As soon as dos loads, which is a quick process after the normal booting, it then automatically launches the pos from dos. Also like I said I could improve that program tremendously in just 15 minutes of programming and I wasn't exaggerating. I've been programming since I was fourteen and some of the bugs I've seen in the POS system astound me. I can't remember them all but some of them were such noobie mistakes. As in mistakes some of my slower classmates might have made in my high school computer science 2 class, but none of those in computer science 3 would have made. I'm led to believe they might introduce new bugs into the code with each version just to edit it out in the next just to keep their jobs. They're programmers, they know an infinite loop when they see one. Either that or they're stupid not sneaky.

SavageUK
September 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
This is the "Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?", so yep, I am an employee. I'm UK though, and I do not have a windows PC in store, nor do I have this "compass" thing everyone keeps talking about. As far as I know, I only need that if I ever go hiking.

Do you know what language the source code for the POS software would be, I have no idea..?

And I'm still dubious as to whether our (UK) terminals have any form of DOS on them, except maybe for the PC, in stores with PCs.

Animatedream
September 8th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Ah. I didn't mean to be offputting by asking if you worked for blockbuster. I just assumed everyone bore an equal share of blockbuster's computer inadequacies. You can probably consider yourself spared if you've never seen the compass system or dealt with the same POS system. Ours is already at version 17.3.0 or something like that. The POS could be coded in anything and I'm not sure, but frankly even if they coded it in assembly or manually entered 1's and 0's in the computer I still couldn't forgive the absurd number of problems I have with that system. To take a guess it seems they haven't come up with a new POS from scratch since the days of erols so I would guess its coded in straight c. Do you have mac terminals in your stores or something? I can't imagine them going through the effort of porting the pos to macs. It doesn't seem normal from a company that doesn't even include a method of voiding out a transaction and instead expects me to type my number and password for every damn item.

MissHailstorm
September 8th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I can crash ours with 1 button... the off switch. :D

sar94pga
September 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I can crash ours with 1 button... the off switch. :D

Ctrl-ALT-DEL works well too :D

Animatedream
September 8th, 2006, 07:04 AM
:rolleyes: two keys then? Anyways I said crash, not restart.

p.s. Ctrl-ALT-DEL won't work on a computer i've Alt-8'ed. :D

the boy wonder uk
September 8th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Hold down the alt key and press 8 (not numpad 8). I want to know if this works at other stores. Every store I've tried it at it will lockup the computer requiring it to be restarted. This discovered after having to find scan codes for a couple keys because the keyboard disastrously remapped itself and we couldn't fix it. All because the POS system at blockbuster sucks that much. I'm a computer science major and I could make a long list of things I would fix in about fifteen minutes given a chance to smack the programmers aside at blockbuster. Why do we run a command-line based point of sale program out of dos still anyways? Anyways forgive my tendency to ramble.

The point of this would be?

BBV12396
September 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Yes. It's pathetic that they are still using DOS after all these years.
I heard about 4-5 years ago that they were going to upgrade to a Windows based POS and
that some new features were being able to check other stores inventory and looking up customers
accounts in other stores.
Of course that never happened. Whenever I asked the DM or above about it,
my answer was always "Corporate says it would cost too much money."
Big surprise there.

Lomithrandel
September 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The UK runs an old linux kernel and Canada runs DOS.

igniteice
September 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
It would probably solve less problems than already exist.

In other words, they're not fixing it because it isn't broken. I mean, in my 2 years I haven't ran across any kind of real problem with the system. It works for what I need it for.

Animatedream
September 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
The point of this would be?

I'm just pointing out how obscenely quirky the POS system is. I mean who expects a program to freeze up with a random pair of buttons like that?

@Lomithrandel
thanks for clarifying

@BBV12396
If it costs them more then 100,000 USD to program they're doing something seriously wrong and they have in house programmers already who they're apparently willing to keep on the payroll for something because I see a new version of POS every other week. The only difficult part of the programming would be the databasing and networking code in my opinion. Actually upgrading all the systems without any errors would be a feat but I can't imagine costing that much for a major corporation either. Anyways here's a page quoting example prices from a software company that does complex custom business applications if you want to see for yourself.
http://www.pssuk.com/BespokeSoftwareCosts.htm

wazootybob
September 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I think there are officially two programmers for Blockbuster. And they are tremendously busy playing MUDs all day to worry about computer system upgrades. Since they feel 9600 baud modems are the absolute apex of computer achievement.

brantheman
September 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I personally like the POS. It's all self-explanatory and common sense. Even if you can't memorize where the buttons are, just type it in manually. Scan card. Scan items. Type Total. Type Cash (or whatever) and the amount. Etc. Can't get any better than that :)

Unless there was a shot gun barrell sticking out of the monitor towards the customer. If they bother me, I could just type "CLEAR" and no more customer.

zooworker
September 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Our keyboards had windows keys, if you hit one by accident it would lock up the system. Got tired of rebooting, so got out the pocket knife and removed them. And sometimes you don't have to hit any keys system just lockes up. CTRL, ALT, DELETE solves the problem.

HardcoreKeith
September 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM
If you're in computer science, how do you not realize that the server is running VMS and the terminals are only using DOS to run a terminal emulator?

I mean, fuck, they're dumb terminals, we could be using VT100s for all I care and they'd do the job just just fucking fine. Why does it matter that they're running a DOS terminal emulator?

Here's the biggest bug I've encountered with our POS.
The other day I had a couple that wanted to purchase a new PS2. I ring it up. They have $10 on a giftcard, so I tender that first. Then they want to pay the rest with a credit card -- but of course it's declined. So now I want to void the PS2 and put the balance back on their giftcard, but
1. I can't hit TOTAL to get out of the total screen because partial payment has already been tendered.
2. I can't hit CLEAR because I'm in the nonmember account and nonmembers cannot have balances.
And yes, I tried both fucking options several times before I resorted to restarting the station.

wazootybob
September 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
they're dumb terminals

Hey, maybe they just went to bad public school for computers and didn't have a chance for a proper education.

igniteice
September 8th, 2006, 10:00 PM
The other day I had a couple that wanted to purchase a new PS2. I ring it up. They have $10 on a giftcard, so I tender that first. Then they want to pay the rest with a credit card -- but of course it's declined. So now I want to void the PS2 and put the balance back on their giftcard, but
1. I can't hit TOTAL to get out of the total screen because partial payment has already been tendered.
2. I can't hit CLEAR because I'm in the nonmember account and nonmembers cannot have balances.
And yes, I tried both fucking options several times before I resorted to restarting the station.

I had that same problem with a couple who had a $100 giftcard and were buying movies. The total came to like $140, but they said it should be $120 something because the wrong movies were given free (it gave them the three $4.99 and like one $9.99 movi free instead of the $9.99 movies and $12.99 and a $14.99, etc.)

Now I had rang everything up, scanned the promotions, then hit total and told them what it was, and they said okay - so then I did gcard 100 and told them the remaining balance and that's when they decided to bring this up to me. Can't clear the account, and can't total back out - so I had to get her to pay the amount, which was complete hell, because she kept reminding me how much she gets refunded and all this crap. I was trying to tell them to calm the hell down so I could actually fix the problem.

So then I had to do a few things: void everything so they are correctly shown in the system as having copies again (had I just rang them up again, they would have been at negative 1 copies in the system for each during inventory.)

Then I had to credit off that entire balance (which was well over $160.)

Then I had to ring them all up and refund her the cash she paid (because she paid the $40 so I could clear it out and start over.)

Then I had to void them again (I guess now that I think about it - I could have just done a negative credit and refunded her that amount... dammit!)

Then I had to ring them all up again and credit off $100 to reflect the giftcard... holy hell.

1. They were just visiting.
2. We don't give reimbursed for giftcards. If someone spends $100 with a giftcard at our store, Blockbustet corporate doesn't send us a check for $100 worth of merchandice that they just bought. That also means we're out of $100 worth of product that another customer would have bought with cash/credit.
3. They actually called up the next day and tried to complain about me to one of my employees, but the manager was like, "So, what exactly did he do wrong?" -- "Well, nothing..." -- "Were you overcharged?" -- "No..." -- "Did he fix everything?" -- "Well, yeah" -- "So what are you complaining about?" -- "I'm not sure."

HardcoreKeith
September 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Terrible. "Sorry, our giftcard machine isn't working today..."

Here's two handy tips for those who weren't paying attention:

1) Don't ring up big expensive shit on the nonmember accounts. 9 out of 10 fucking times when someone says they want to buy a system, their card is mysteriously declined. In fact, you should probably just preauth the card before you even sell the system to avoid retail credits.

2) If you get stuck in the awesome partial-payment-tendered cage of death, restart the terminal from another station. It'll probably crash the first time, but after the second reboot you'll be able to go back into the nm account.

igniteice
September 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
In fact, you should probably just preauth the card before you even sell the system to avoid retail credits.

I was signing up some new member other week and I knew their CC was going to decline, so I saved myself the trouble of adding them into system and pre-authed the CC on my own account (PA 1 > Swipe Card)

csb
September 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
If you're in computer science, how do you not realize that the server is running VMS and the terminals are only using DOS to run a terminal emulator?

I mean, fuck, they're dumb terminals, we could be using VT100s for all I care and they'd do the job just just fucking fine. Why does it matter that they're running a DOS terminal emulator?

I brought up the bios system info page once, the pos stations are 2ghz, which is a good investment for dumb terminals unless they are planning on writing a new version of the POS to run on them, which I don't think they'll ever do as the Blockbuster software on the server is written in... FORTRAN!

I prefer a CLI anyway.

And yes, I tried both fucking options several times before I resorted to restarting the station.I've run into that wall once or twice, the fastest way to deal with it is to deact, and bring up that non-member account from another station.

AmazonBitch
September 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I heard about 4-5 years ago that they were going to upgrade to a Windows based POS and
that some new features were being able to check other stores inventory and looking up customers
Big surprise there.

I'm sure the EOLF advertising budget would have covered it. :cool:

zooworker
September 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I was signing up some new member other week and I knew their CC was going to decline, so I saved myself the trouble of adding them into system and pre-authed the CC on my own account (PA 1 > Swipe Card)
I have done this many times, it saves from being ripped off.It amazes me how they react "oh I guess I have hit my limit." or how about the ones who pull out a dozen cards and keep saying "try this on, I'm sure it works" :eek:

yousickf'ingbastard
September 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
how about the ones who pull out a dozen cards and keep saying "try this on, I'm sure it works" :eek:

they are called ghettofied

define:

being so broke that you get a credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for a sandwich

zooworker
September 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
they are called ghettofied

define:

being so broke that you get a credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for another credit card to pay for a sandwich
And the next thing is we get a Bankruptcy notice form the court so they don't have to pay for their $159 balance.:mad:

yousickf'ingbastard
September 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
And the next thing is we get a Bankruptcy notice form the court so they don't have to pay for their $159 balance.:mad:

and they say calling a customer a poor bitch is a bad thing?

"sorry ms. but your food stamp credit card is denied for insufficient funds"

zooworker
September 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
and they say calling a customer a poor bitch is a bad thing?

"sorry ms. but your food stamp credit card is denied for insufficient funds"
Had one try and use her's, didn't work and whipped out a Visa(among the stack of plastic in her purse).:rolleyes:

yousickf'ingbastard
September 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Had one try and use her's, didn't work and whipped out a Visa(among the stack of plastic in her purse).:rolleyes:

i bet she dropped about 40 condoms she was gonna use that night to get some of that money back

Aphrodite
September 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
A welfare mom wouldnt know what a condom was :p

yousickf'ingbastard
September 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM

she's up to her 42nd kid. they all got roman numerals as names.

Aphrodite
September 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM
..and nametags tattooed to their foreheads so she knows which ones which..

zooworker
September 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM
i bet she dropped about 40 condoms she was gonna use that night to get some of that money back
Hugh! And they looked used.
Oh they get them free here.
she's up to her 42nd kid. they all got roman numerals as names.
No, you can't even understand their names
..and nametags tattooed to their foreheads so she knows which ones which..
Not forehead, the side of the neck.

yousickf'ingbastard
September 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
they all have barcodes for names. just scan the back of the neck and you'll know who they are

lackluster employee
February 5th, 2011, 02:21 AM
:rolleyes: two keys then? Anyways I said crash, not restart.

p.s. Ctrl-ALT-DEL won't work on a computer i've Alt-8'ed. :D

Alt-8 still = instant death--tried it the other day. AND Ctrl-Alt-Del still doesn't fix the crash. The only way that I know of to recover is to unlock the terminal from another station through the manager menu. My MOD tried to restart the terminal with Ctrl-Alt-Del and the terminal refused to restart.

What use is Ctrl-Alt-Del to the system then?

djsdojo
February 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Just looking over this old thread.......
Big surprise there.It had taken around 9 years to actually do this!!

I really hate this process though as the system could say we have inventory we don't really have. So many times people have came into the store and said "do you guys have this movie/game? they said at the other store you guy did" only to give them sometimes the response of "it just got rented out".

zooworker
February 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Alt-8 still = instant death--tried it the other day. AND Ctrl-Alt-Del still doesn't fix the crash. The only way that I know of to recover is to unlock the terminal from another station through the manager menu. My MOD tried to restart the terminal with Ctrl-Alt-Del and the terminal refused to restart.

What use is Ctrl-Alt-Del to the system then?
Besides bringing up an old thread, why the fuck would you want to crash the system and brag about it. Sounds like you are a slacker that just wants to figure out how to make things worse. Maybe you should spend more time helping customers and working in the store.

uhohbusted69
February 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If this thread wasn't bumped I would have never known about this issue, or how to fix it if it happened to me or my csr. And an issue that has not been fixed from over 6 years ago should be addressed. Calm down zoo it was useful.

Blockbusterstore482
February 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM
sadly folks it is not even DOS it is fortran. More stable than windows but no where near as many functions or user friendly.

zooworker
February 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
If this thread wasn't bumped I would have never known about this issue, or how to fix it if it happened to me or my csr. And an issue that has not been fixed from over 6 years ago should be addressed. Calm down zoo it was useful.
I am calm, just wanted to let him know that this is another way to get others to cause the MOD a lot of headache. Why would he even treid it unless he was just playing around . And Useful, no, we all know you can restart terminals from managers menu.

djblade
February 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Ah. I didn't mean to be offputting by asking if you worked for blockbuster. I just assumed everyone bore an equal share of blockbuster's computer inadequacies. You can probably consider yourself spared if you've never seen the compass system or dealt with the same POS system. Ours is already at version 17.3.0 or something like that. The POS could be coded in anything and I'm not sure, but frankly even if they coded it in assembly or manually entered 1's and 0's in the computer I still couldn't forgive the absurd number of problems I have with that system. To take a guess it seems they haven't come up with a new POS from scratch since the days of erols so I would guess its coded in straight c. Do you have mac terminals in your stores or something? I can't imagine them going through the effort of porting the pos to macs. It doesn't seem normal from a company that doesn't even include a method of voiding out a transaction and instead expects me to type my number and password for every damn item.

I don't believe its C languages. and our version is 23.3.0

DavidNewlySL
February 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM
well we can check other stores inventory..in the area..and we can look up customers accounts with the dl..to an extent

djsdojo
February 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I don't believe its C languages. and our version is 23.3.0 I'm sure it was programed in BASIC language.

Hot Head
February 6th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm sure it was programed in BASIC language.

If we are talking about blockbuster POS computer system it would all be in ms-dos

Now the one computer that you do shipping on and etc. The shit is PHP if thier is a Java runtime then it would be Java. C applications are much more complex than Java and PHP and Basic so it would not make sense to impliment them.

The onlything I can think of that uses Basic is the program on uses to do the schedule. Web Clock could be Visual Basic or PHP but sometimes if it doesn't sink up to the network shit is missing on it which leaves me to believe that it is Web based.

wheresmikey
February 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
If we are talking about blockbuster POS computer system it would all be in ms-dos

Now the one computer that you do shipping on and etc. The shit is PHP if thier is a Java runtime then it would be Java. C applications are much more complex than Java and PHP and Basic so it would not make sense to impliment them.

The onlything I can think of that uses Basic is the program on uses to do the schedule. Web Clock could be Visual Basic or PHP but sometimes if it doesn't sink up to the network shit is missing on it which leaves me to believe that it is Web based.

Nerd!!!

ThreeDark
February 7th, 2011, 10:15 PM

It's been stated earlier in the thread that the BB POS system is written in Fortran, probably Fortran 77. The terminals boot to DOS in order to load a terminal emulator that connects to the VMS server in back via what appears to be DECnet. The entire POS program is run on the server.

TheShooter87
February 8th, 2011, 04:01 AM
So if we shut down the server, we can stop Skynet!?!?!

Hot Head
February 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM
It's been stated earlier in the thread that the BB POS system is written in Fortran, probably Fortran 77. The terminals boot to DOS in order to load a terminal emulator that connects to the VMS server in back via what appears to be DECnet. The entire POS program is run on the server.

I forgot how really old the computers are and I forgot about Fortran. I will not ever use it unless I work for the state.

whineyboy
February 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Since when do you have to hit any bottons given time the computer crashes on its own

Hot Head
February 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Since when do you have to hit any bottons given time the computer crashes on its own

Its what they call a glitch. THere are many of them some that cause it to shut down or restart spontaniously.

lackluster employee
February 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I am calm, just wanted to let him know that this is another way to get others to cause the MOD a lot of headache. Why would he even treid it unless he was just playing around . And Useful, no, we all know you can restart terminals from managers menu.

I'm pretty sure the name of this site is something along the lines of "I Hate Blockbuster". I could be mistaken but I'm pretty fucking certain.

And I do help my customers and do a damn good job of it--as reflected by my survey scores. My store is closing so we don't exactly have a lot of things to do other than wait up front for people to check out and keep the store tidy.

I tried the Alt-8 death combo because I was curious to see if the bug had been worked out. I know that changes have been made to the system that are not reflected on the surface (such as the now incomplete HELP menu) and I was curious if this was one of them.

The reason I even got to the point of trying it is that the terminal had gotten stuck in another input screen that I could not get out of. I had tried CLS, EXIT, TOTAL, CLEAR, etc. and nothing worked. At that point it didn't even matter that I hit Alt-8 because the terminal had to be restarted anyway.

Besides, when my MOD tried Ctrl-Alt-Del on the terminal and the computer shut down and the drawer popped open our SM told him that that was NOT the way to restart a terminal so we all got a lesson out of it.

Thanks for the warm welcome zoo.

BUYMECAR
February 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
you think that's a warm welcome?

talk to hot head. warmest guy here.

Hot Head
February 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM
you think that's a warm welcome?

talk to hot head. warmest guy here.

I secound that he has alot of swear words in his posts. I can not wait till He and i have a heated discussion :D

Lol BuyMeCar is like my hype man.

zooworker
February 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome zoo.
Your welcome....
Now I hand this over to Hothead....;)

YodaVSBBV
February 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yes!!! yes!!!!!!!!!! I'm a personal fan of this.... *shity customer approaches: Sry my computer is frozen*

JeansforALL
February 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
If you press ALT+A you get a heart
If you press ALT+D you get a diamond
If you press ALT+E you get a spade (i think)

I still don't know how to get a club.

If you fuck around too much trying to figure it out you WILL lock your terminal and need to CTRL+ALT+DEL.

If you turn off the num lock and try to log into your manager menu you get a smiley face.

Some fun stuff for slow days.

ThreeDark
February 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
You can draw all sorts of things using extended ASCII codes. Turn off the num lock, hold down ALT and key in the three digit character code for the character you want. When you release ALT it should appear.

The extended ASCII table can be found here towards the bottom of the page:
http://www.asciitable.com/

I used to draw all sorts of fun things and leave them as warnings on employee accounts. The DM was not very pleased with me when it came time to audit the accounts, however. I was not reprimanded but he wound up deleting all of my hard work.

zooworker
February 17th, 2011, 08:04 AM
If you press ALT+A you get a heart
If you press ALT+D you get a diamond
If you press ALT+E you get a spade (i think)

I still don't know how to get a club.

If you fuck around too much trying to figure it out you WILL lock your terminal and need to CTRL+ALT+DEL.

If you turn off the num lock and try to log into your manager menu you get a smiley face.

Some fun stuff for slow days.
Try doing things like cleaning when it's slow...there is always something to do ....

lackluster employee
February 17th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Try doing things like cleaning when it's slow...there is always something to do ....

We got a customer survey the other day that read: "This store is too clean and tidy. It looks like a corporate display store that no one ever shops at." We get plenty of business and always make our numbers but we still have plenty of down time.

Obviously messing around on the computer is a last resort after the inevitable boredom that sets in after straightening, balancing, tidying, listening to customers bitch and selling pickles.

zooworker
February 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
We got a customer survey the other day that read: "This store is too clean and tidy. It looks like a corporate display store that no one ever shops at." We get plenty of business and always make our numbers but we still have plenty of down time.

Obviously messing around on the computer is a last resort after the inevitable boredom that sets in after straightening, balancing, tidying, listening to customers bitch and selling pickles.
LOL...damn your store must be slow, our customer base would destroy the store with 1 kid.....

JeansforALL
February 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Our store is slow and I clean lots.

But thanks for making sure I'm not slacking.

Seriously. I'm not slacking.