PDA

View Full Version : Is there an official PS3 preorder policy yet?

Air
September 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Our store got a "call your house when there are details" sheet, but are we going to repeat the nightmare of the XBox 360 launch with a preorder sheet?

Also, PS3 launches on a Friday. A lot of stores (including mine) are open until 1am on Fridays. If we say no to Pre-orders, will Blockbuster Gamerushes effectively have midnight launches?

Antithesys
September 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
You know, with $600 being the suggested retail price, I literally shudder to think what Blockbuster is gonna charge for it.

wazootybob
September 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
They never marked up previous systems, as far as I recall. Though, the sheer apathy of customers until the 17th rolls around is funny. (CSR: Do you want to preorder it? CUST: No, I'll wait. CSR: Good luck!)

Oh and if there is a short ship. . . Yeah, whose the favorite customer going to get the PS3?

Meltdown
September 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
You know, with $600 being the suggested retail price, I literally shudder to think what Blockbuster is gonna charge for it.

The same as everyone else.

There is almost no margin in the hardware itself. This is one of the reasons you see many retailers only selling them as bundles such as with an extra controller and software.

The premium X360 systems we sell for $399 we own for $393.00 I believe. You make money on the accessories and software.

Morbid Angel
September 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
They never marked up previous systems, as far as I recall. Though, the sheer apathy of customers until the 17th rolls around is funny. (CSR: Do you want to preorder it? CUST: No, I'll wait. CSR: Good luck!)

The funny this is, I don't think the general consumer even knows about the $600 price tag. Especially Joe Sixpack Wal-Mart customer, which makes up roughly 50% of the PS2's userbase.

CSR: Would you like to pre-order a PS3?

Joe Sixpack: Oh yes! The Piggly Wiggly just paid me today!

CSR: Ok, that will be $673.84, please.

Joe Sixpack: :eek:

This my friends is why the PS3 is doomed..

HardcoreKeith
September 14th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Reserve amount will probably be $150.

sar94pga
September 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
any idea when standard stores are getting the rentals for PS3?

we havent recieve communication yet...as far as i know...

Erythro42
September 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I don't think any store actually rented out 360 hardware did they? Which I think is the best idea they've had in awhile.

When the PS2 came out it was a nightmare. They were in short supply, but not nearly as short as the 360 (and how short the PS3 will be), so there were way too many people to our supply, and the deposit required was absolutely insane. You think people hate securing their account with a credit card just to rent a 360 game, just think how they'll feel having their cards pre-authed for $600.

I also vaguely remember there was a slight difference between our rental PS2's and the retail ones, a piece of the hardware or something internal that was missing, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is now. Wonder if there will be extra-neutured PS3's for rent to discourage theft.

wazootybob
September 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I think sar meant game rentals not system rentals.

I always liked doing the return inspection.

Me: Hmmm, I don't remember giving you an av cable with only red and white connections. . .

outcastaside
September 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
And then there's the Wii....:D

Air
September 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
2 days later it seems :rolleyes: I think I'd rather handle the PS3 launch than the Wii launch though.

Angry
October 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'd like to grab a PS3 for myself. Usually our franchise store doesn't order hardware, but I would imagine my store could get at least a unit or 2 right?

coldie
October 10th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Hardly. Sony will have less than 400,000 units ready for the North American launch next month.

400,000 - lets split that...

6450~ per state/province on average (Canada and US only)

The PS2 sold 900,000 units at launch in only Japan. What do you think that spells for Americans who have less than half of that amount, and the price is doubled?

Not to mention you still have you buy a $60 game and a HDMI cable if you're playing HD.

In other words, your options are:
1) Start camping now.
2) Think about Wii/360.
3) Wait until next year.

wazootybob
October 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hardly. Sony will have less than 400,000 units ready for the North American launch next month.
In other words, your options are:
1) Start camping now.
2) Think about Wii/360.
3) Wait until next year.

I spoke with the store manager, (friend) of a really busy Best Buy out here and they are expecting 2 systems for the PS3. Also at a local Circuit City the same story. . . I'm in a large area and I don't expect a pretty site to be had, since people camped for the 360. Check odd places if you are going to camp, like CompUSA. In reality just save the discomfort and wait or buy something else.