PDA

View Full Version : Sales Manager Murdered at Store #24181

BBVTyrant
September 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM
If you have a moment, check out this article. Sadly, I knew this gentleman, who covered my store on a couple of occassions. I'll keep everyone posted as I hear more news.

www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/crime/bal-md.robbery16sep16,0,6349196.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Angry
September 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM
If you have a moment, check out this article. Sadly, I knew this gentleman, who covered my store on a couple of occassions. I'll keep everyone posted as I hear more news.

www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/crime/bal-md.robbery16sep16,0,6349196.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Wow, sorry to hear that.

sar94pga
September 16th, 2006, 12:06 PM

wow. just. wow.

Everyone that works tonight...get home safe!!!!

Kool-Aid Man
September 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
That's terrible to hear.

rk237
September 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Could have been any one of us. Humbling news.

Sorry to hear.

zooworker
September 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Damn, Damn, Damnit, it's so senseless, my heart goes out to the family.

OzMan
September 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Damn:(

I remember when that neighbourhood was REALLY bad (been to Baltimore a few times, and know people that were TOLD by the police not to be around the stadium after dark), and it was making progress.

Then you get this senseless crime, and some innocent guy just trying to make the rent and feed his kids is gone.

My heart goes out to his family......

blondie2776
September 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
oh my gosh bbvtyrant, i cant believe that. and alot of us think we had it bad. as many times as ive had a gun put to my head and knife at my throat, im thankful to still have my life. god bless his family for their loss.

damn reading that really upset me.

Liquid
September 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Everyone that works each night...get home safe!!!!

turtletime
September 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Be careful everybody!!!

zooworker
September 17th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Be careful everybody!!!
Sorry to be negative here, but when we are open so late and no other stores around , we are begging for a hit. I figure it's only a matter of time before something happens at my store.My night crew is very concerned about this since the whole shopping center is empty now.:(

SavageUK
September 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Sorry to be negative here, but when we are open so late and no other stores around , we are begging for a hit. I figure it's only a matter of time before something happens at my store.My night crew is very concerned about this since the whole shopping center is empty now.:(
Yeah it's kinda a joke. As much as I think most food stores, and cinemas, should be open 24 hours, if you aren't getting a good stream of customers at this time of day then you should probably close. It might even save the store money - but then again, I've heard on this board that if the store is still taking money during these hours that covers all the costs of the store being open, then it'll stay open. I argue that if customers knew that the store closed earlier they would come in earlier, so all in all you'd get the same custom.

BBVTyrant
September 17th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Just keep in mind everyone that this happened at 8:30 pm. But I agree that the longer you stay open in a bad neighborhood, the more trouble you are asking for.

I'm not positive, but I think that store's hours of operation were until 10pm, Sunday thru Thursday and open until 11 on Friday and Saturday. However, I may be wrong and they may be open until midnight Friday and Saturday. Given that store's volume and the danger around the area, that is too late for that store.

I know the robbers were in the back to get Antonio and walked him up front to get the money. Between those time periods, he was killed. I hate to say it, but knowing Antonio I can see him trying to be a hero and stop the robbers, which ended up getting him killed. As I said, I sure hope I'm wrong and that didn't happen, but I could definitely see him doing it. Unless, he felt they were going to kill him anyway, saw a potential opening, and just went for it.

I believe the company is funding most of the reward money to catch the killers. They are also looking into setting up a trust for his children.

All of this will probably be on Compass shortly.

Angry
September 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM
How many people were working during that time? That's another problem I have with skeleton crews- there's even less of a robbery deterrent.

BBVTyrant
September 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM
How many people were working during that time? That's another problem I have with skeleton crews- there's even less of a robbery deterrent.

There was the MOD and the CSR.

dreamingshield
September 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
It's getting alittle to close to Christmas.. I think people get really desperate for money around this time of year. Everyone be careful, stay safe.

zooworker
September 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah it's kinda a joke. As much as I think most food stores, and cinemas, should be open 24 hours, if you aren't getting a good stream of customers at this time of day then you should probably close. It might even save the store money - but then again, I've heard on this board that if the store is still taking money during these hours that covers all the costs of the store being open, then it'll stay open. I argue that if customers knew that the store closed earlier they would come in earlier, so all in all you'd get the same custom.
The last hour is completely dead. An occasional drunk or stoned customers will come in. Even the local cops say we shouldn't be open that late. And now that they cut police rentals out they don't come around after dark.

Liquid
September 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Wel still give out Police rentals an the 20% candy an soda.

AbandonedDreams
September 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM

You are near me then, we have the same DM at the moment. I was shocked to hear about this when I went into work today. I'm in a small town and I was actually worried for my safety as I left tonight.

Thanatos
September 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Heard about this today on our monday conference call. Sad to hear such news my prayers for his family and friends. Be well

BBVTyrant
September 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
You are near me then, we have the same DM at the moment. I was shocked to hear about this when I went into work today. I'm in a small town and I was actually worried for my safety as I left tonight.

We're probably close by somewhere. I wouldn't necessarily say the same DM, because it definitely isn't the closest store to that one, but at least was in the same district. If you are saying that you have the same DM as Waverly's temporary one, then you are probably in good shape. From what I've heard, she at least is visible in stores, unlike the temp DM overseeing my store now. He's the kind of guy that talks good BS, but in reality doesn't know his head from his ass.

AbandonedDreams
September 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
We're probably close by somewhere. I wouldn't necessarily say the same DM, because it definitely isn't the closest store to that one, but at least was in the same district. If you are saying that you have the same DM as Waverly's temporary one, then you are probably in good shape. From what I've heard, she at least is visible in stores, unlike the temp DM overseeing my store now. He's the kind of guy that talks good BS, but in reality doesn't know his head from his ass.

Oops, I meant RDO. Since mine left the company not too long ago. I have a good DM, but he can be a moran sometimes. But that store isn't too far away from mine. I got a call today from the DTSM asking for $10 from my store to help send flowers to Antionio. I thought that was a good idea, since it at least makes us feel like we're contributing something.

Suli
September 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I remember when I first heard this news I was thinking.....why? The world is so senseless and violents its unrational.

See this is also why i'm getting out of blockbuster not only because of this but one day before I heard about this news three stores down from where i work a subway was robbed at gunpoint when I was working the shift at BB. I work down in annapolis around bayridge and recently there have been a string of robberies once or twice a month so.....finding new job and putting in two weeks.

Lomithrandel
September 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear this news, sadly a daily possibility when one works for a retail outlet that has no security :(.