PDA

View Full Version : Blueray rentals already?

Youdontknowme
October 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Anyone else notice that the "blueray" disc format is showing up in the BBV database yet? I just happened to be looking up a release date for someone (I believe it was for the movie Cars, but I may be wrong), and it had 3 different listings. One for DVD, one for BRAY, and one for something else I don't remember (I think it was another DVD listing, just a different variant of the movie... like 1 disc vs 2 disc special edition or something). Anyways, I just thought this was interesting.

Does anyone know if we'll actually be getting Blueray or HD-DVD as a subset of our rentals? If we do, I can see it being nothing but trouble. All the clueless people out there that bring it up not realizing it's BR/HD instead of a regular DVD. Or the people thinking that it'll work in their DVD players anyways and then get pissed off and want a refund cause it didn't. And finally the thieves that will steal them cause they're worth more.

I really hope we aren't getting these for quite some time (at least not until there is a somewhat clear winner in the next generation format). Also, do we know if there's going to be any distinction on the boxart between the different types of formats besides the little bar across the top that they used to distinguish Full Screen/Wide Screen? Just some random thoughts and hopes.

HardcoreKeith
October 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
I hope they put them in really tall boxes like the old Sega Saturn stuff. :D

Adornedatom
October 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
At a guess I'd say that we wont be getting Blueray on rental for a good few years yet, but certain stores will be getting a selection of retail stock. For a start there are not many people out there willing to upgrade to a HDDVD/Blueray format straight away, and most of the regular consumers will be going with the cheaper option. Those that will rush out and purchase a Blueray player will likely be the hardcores who demand that extra little bit of quality whatever the price. These type of people don't tend to rent films, but would rather start upgrading their entire 1000+ DVD collection. So even with a copy depth of 1 per title you'd likely wouldn't have enough rental customers to cover the purchase costs.

Then again, you guys went and eliminated late fees over there so who knows what you're capable of. :D

Antithesys
October 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
The Brays have been in there for quite a while now.

wazootybob
October 2nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Seeings how these movies are made for 1080p hdtv's, and there aren't likely to be many, if any new hdmi 1080p displays that are full screen....I think you can count on widescreen.

I especially like the WTF I got when there are now "upconvert" dvd players. . . "It's like near HD" but not. . . People who buy these smoke cigars from Miami and say they're cuban. Drive miatas and say they drive a sports car while shopping at Old Navy believing they are hip.

sar94pga
October 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Seeings how these movies are made for 1080p hdtv's, and there aren't likely to be many, if any new hdmi 1080p displays that are full screen....I think you can count on widescreen.

I especially like the WTF I got when there are now "upconvert" dvd players. . . "It's like near HD" but not. . . People who buy these smoke cigars from Miami and say they're cuban. Drive miatas and say they drive a sports car while shopping at Old Navy believing they are hip.

hey, whats wrong with old navy? :D

Mr.King
October 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I noticed the same thing for cars..
Does that mean we're getting both reg DVDs AND BRays? or just BRays?

coldie
October 8th, 2006, 10:03 AM
It'll be likely that DVD isn't getting phased out for BluRay, since 95% of consumers don't want anything to do with the ultra expensive format.

If demand gets strong, in major cities you might see a ratio of BluRay/HD DVDs to normal DVDs (like 5 to 90, perhaps?)

I don't expect any kind of national rollout for these until they become commonplace, and that won't happen until they're dirt cheap.

SavageUK
October 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think Blu-ray/HD-DVD rental will outweigh the selection of DVD rental we have until 2012, at the very earliest. Just like VHS, DVD is here to stay.

c:nt
October 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM
God I hate our computer systems in the UK. We were promised this system where you just type in the title, and match the format.

Over here, we still have to enter a prefix i.e XB360-Fifa

SavageUK
October 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
God I hate our computer systems in the UK. We were promised this system where you just type in the title, and match the format.

Over here, we still have to enter a prefix i.e XB360-Fifa
Is this really an issue though? Just curious, how do you think it would help?

October 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Foward thinking. Remember when we rented DVD & VHS together. When people asked if do we have 'X Film', you would say 'DVD or VHS' and they would say 'either'.

It means two searches, not the end of the world but still annoying. Suppose 3 years down the line people might have bought a HD-DVD player, and have a PS3.

Do you have '2001 Manianc?'
On DVD, BlueRay or HD-DVD?
'Any'

Find BRay-2001 Maniacs - NO STOCK
Find HDDVD-2001 Maniacs - NO STOCK
Find DVD-2001 Maniacs.

All that to find you have no stock.

Its not the end of the world, but why not just remove the prefix. In fact, a major overhaul of the database would be nice. Remove all VHS (zz-dup them), remove old ice cream flavours, unused confectionary codes, etc etc. Ever looked up a mars bar or something like that. You get crap like
Mars (New Style) Bar
Mars Bar
Mars 30g Bar
Mars 32g Bar
Mars 40g Bar
Mars King Size
Mars Fat Bastard Size
Mars 20p Flash Bar
Mars Bitesize Bar
Mars '98 World Cup Bar
Mars DO NOT USE Bar

We only stock one fucking type!

Its all about making the system as user friendly and as simple, quick and easy as possible.

Adornedatom
October 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Is this really an issue though? Just curious, how do you think it would help?

If the customer asks "Do you have Fifa 07 for the PS2?" then no it's not a problem. However, if a different customer asks "Do you have Fifa 07? Not bothered about which console as I have them all." then we have to type in 'PS2-Fifa 07', then 'Xbox-Fifa 07' then 'XB360-Fifa 07', and so on until we find a format the game is available for. It would make life a hell of a lot easier if we could just type 'Fifa 07' and then have each console listed on the same screen.

Morbid Angel
October 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Foward thinking. Remember when we rented DVD & VHS together. When people asked if do we have 'X Film', you would say 'DVD or VHS' and they would say 'either'.

It means two searches, not the end of the world but still annoying. Suppose 3 years down the line people might have bought a HD-DVD player, and have a PS3.

Do you have '2001 Manianc?'
On DVD, BlueRay or HD-DVD?
'Any'

Find BRay-2001 Maniacs - NO STOCK
Find HDDVD-2001 Maniacs - NO STOCK
Find DVD-2001 Maniacs.

All that to find you have no stock.

Ugh. Fuck that! We only just finally dumped VHS last year. I was enjoying the simplicity of a one-format store. DVD deserves more time with the spot light shinning brightly upon it. As far as I'm concerned, neither HD-DVD or Blu-ray should even be brought into the stores in small numbers until 2010.

Also, read this article (http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6378914.html). The market for the DEAD VHS format is still larger than HD-DVD and Blu-ray combined! That's how irrelevent these formats are right now.

SavageUK
October 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM
You make a good point, but I can imagine that it would be far too much work to change it for the little benefit it've give CSRs - it's something we can live with. Whenever someone asks for "Fifa 07" for example, I say "Which console is that for?", then they reply, then I ask, "Is that to rent or to buy?". That means I can sort things out quickly. If they say "Any." and "Either.", I was just type faster... and go "None for PS2", eight seconds later, "None for Xbox" etc, not that big of a deal.

Yes it's true they should sort out certain products and their associated part numbers and get rid of them if we don't need them (like your Mars bars you've mentioned).

October 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM
As I said its not urgent, but was meant to be implemented about a year ago.

Ever run the 'Customer Search' program that is burried in the system? Thats a far better search system, shame we cant use it. You seach for a title, and get results back like....

Title--------------------------- Format-----------Rent----------Ex-Rental------------New
District 13 ---------------------- DVD-------------23-------------02------------------05

It also finds results as you type i.e type in Distr and it starts to seach. It refines your search the more you type.

SavageUK
October 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
You say we can't use it... but why not? Is it completely disabled? How did you use it? It sounds awesome!

OzMan
October 9th, 2006, 12:00 AM
What if you don't know the proper name of the movie??

Wes Craven's Them comes to mind.... didn't all of the chains put it in W?? But people would ask for "Them" (or They or whatever it is)....... a NORMAL video store would let you search for strings anywhere in the title, instead of needing to know the EXACT beginning.... that would solve ALL problems

Youdontknowme
October 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure what everyone's complaining about in the searches. Sure I understand for the games (big PITA, but whatever). As for movies though, if you just type "Find [insert movie name here]" it'll bring up a listing of all the different formats. So if you do a search for your movie, it'll bring up 3 or 4 listings- DVD, BRAY, HDDVD, and possibly VHS. IF it's got an asterick, then you don't carry it. If you do carry it, but it has a zero, then you're all checked out. Doesn't seem to difficult to me. Only time you ever actually have to look and see the exact breakdown of the number of titles and such for a particular format is if you need to know about sale copies. No biggie.

SavageUK
October 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure what everyone's complaining about in the searches. Sure I understand for the games (big PITA, but whatever). As for movies though, if you just type "Find [insert movie name here]" it'll bring up a listing of all the different formats. So if you do a search for your movie, it'll bring up 3 or 4 listings- DVD, BRAY, HDDVD, and possibly VHS. IF it's got an asterick, then you don't carry it. If you do carry it, but it has a zero, then you're all checked out. Doesn't seem to difficult to me. Only time you ever actually have to look and see the exact breakdown of the number of titles and such for a particular format is if you need to know about sale copies. No biggie.
Pretty sure in the UK typing "FIND DAY AFTER TOMORROW" will only find VHS for movie "Day After Tomorrow", unless things have changed with a recent upgrade. Don't worry, you assumed...

DAntiheroJ
October 9th, 2006, 09:26 AM
One thing I have noticed more recently (though maybe only cause I have had it happen more recently) is looking up a movie and the listing I am looking for not having an astrick and havign a zero in the avaliable copies column, but when I look to see when the copy was rented all we have avaliable is a sale copy. I am not sure if this has always been the way it is, but there should be some special denotation for something avaliable for sale only so I don't tell a customer something is checked out when in fact we only have it to buy......

SavageUK
October 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM
One thing I have noticed more recently (though maybe only cause I have had it happen more recently) is looking up a movie and the listing I am looking for not having an astrick and havign a zero in the avaliable copies column, but when I look to see when the copy was rented all we have avaliable is a sale copy. I am not sure if this has always been the way it is, but there should be some special denotation for something avaliable for sale only so I don't tell a customer something is checked out when in fact we only have it to buy......
That's right, this introduced as a new "feature" if you will at the last upgrade. It is very helpful indeed. It means when a customer asks if we have something, we do a search and a whole list of things show up. We look for the ones without asterisks and we find out whether it's a rental or a PVT, or retail etc.

Youdontknowme
October 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Pretty sure in the UK typing "FIND DAY AFTER TOMORROW" will only find VHS for movie "Day After Tomorrow", unless things have changed with a recent upgrade. Don't worry, you assumed...

Sorry, you're right. I automatically assumed the system was the same in both UK and US. Anyone know why they wouldn't keep the system the same in the 2 locations?

SavageUK
October 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry, you're right. I automatically assumed the system was the same in both UK and US. Anyone know why they wouldn't keep the system the same in the 2 locations?
I'm not sure, but it always seems like the US will get things first, and if they find it works well there for a while (maybe years, dunno) they'll try to implement the upgrade in the UK.

October 10th, 2006, 03:41 AM
What if you don't know the proper name of the movie??

Wes Craven's Them comes to mind.... didn't all of the chains put it in W?? But people would ask for "Them" (or They or whatever it is)....... a NORMAL video store would let you search for strings anywhere in the title, instead of needing to know the EXACT beginning.... that would solve ALL problems

You would have thought but........

Instead of having a dedicated database manager, I think any work experiance idiot can add titles to our database at head office.

**Look up monty python - some come under monty python, some come under the title.
**Look up Grand Theft Auto and you will find all Grand Theft Auto's except one. Why? Because they have changed the title to GTA San Andreas.
**Our system is that rigid looking up Spiderman, Spider-man, and Spider man will give you 100% completely different results. Makes trade in FUN!

The system will also only take the first 12 characters of a title. Usually that would be enough, but for example look up Ben & Jerry's ice cream and you have to use a prefix of Ice-BJ-500ml-Phish Food. Count 12 characters in and you'll find you havent even started to make a search on the flavour of ice cream. Again not that much of a problem with only approx 14 flavours in stock, but its like an ice cream junkyard on our system. As a flavour is deleted, instead of deleting the name on the system, or changing the title to something like ZZ-Unsed, they leave it on database. So your search for 14 flavours becomes a hunt to find the correct flavours in the database of 100 flavours.

I'm experianced enough with the system to not let it worry me, but it costs time when other people have to try to learn the quirks of the system. Surely its easy enough to maintain a decent working database considering over 7000 people use it per week.

October 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
You say we can't use it... but why not? Is it completely disabled? How did you use it? It sounds awesome!

No it still works.

Off the top of my head you go to any terminal except OPA0. Go to managers menu, press '/' to bring up the command box and type in FSearch.

This brings up the search screen. The only way you can *exit* is to find the correct command in managers menu to disable it (I think its in managers menu part II, then tools, and the menu name is STOP FSEARCH TERMINAL (or something like that)). Before you try bringing up the search box, make sure you find the cancel command first, or its a red faced call to computer support!!!

BTW - once you have brought it up, leave it and watch the awesome screensaver (!!)

SavageUK
October 10th, 2006, 04:51 AM
This brings up the search screen. The only way you can *exit* is to find the correct command in managers menu to disable it (I think its in managers menu part II, then tools, and the menu name is STOP FSEARCH TERMINAL (or something like that)). Before you try bringing up the search box, make sure you find the cancel command first, or its a red faced call to computer support!!!
How do you go through the managers menu when you're already inside the search program? Can you perform the "STOP FSEARCH TERMINAL" on another terminal instead?

October 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yes.....sorry forgot to mention.

After you do it, it brings up a funky 'this terminal is unavailable' message.

Enter the stores login id and password. (BBV /'storecode'bbv)