PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Total Access

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GoEagles
October 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Anybody else think that this is the final straw that will break the camels back? How in God's green earth does corporate think this will make money?!?!?!

AmazonBitch
October 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Anybody else think that this is the final straw that will break the camels back? How in God's green earth does corporate think this will make money?!?!?!

For those of us that jumped ship: Explain please?

coldie
October 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
It's already been heavily discussed in the "Important online information" thread.

1. Customer brings online movies to store
2. We give free rentals for each movie
3. We mail the movies back and their queue sends off the next batch

Suli
October 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Because of this people will go to online more then the store is your line of thinking right?

1. The bring back the movie, we ship there movie being immediatly (which is faster then mailing it for them).

2. They get a free movie to rent, go around and look for more. We get a dollar or something per coupon.

3. Since they're at the store they'll be like well you know what? Why won't I get another, percentage wise the majority of people will be getting more then one movie which will make us money and because of so many people coming in then before we will make even more money.

Thus money for blockbuster, making your TNR, and getting your "Bonus".

URBAN_COWBOY
October 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
3. Since they're at the store they'll be like well you know what? Why won't I get another, percentage wise the majority of people will be getting more then one movie which will make us money and because of so many people coming in then before we will make even more money.

Thus money for blockbuster, making your TNR, and getting your "Bonus".Wow, the kool-aid is being served again. This is the same thing they said about the Movie Pass. Hey, your customers who spend $60 a month on movies are now only going to pay $30 a month. But don't worry, they will spend more on PRP, new DVD's and confection. It didn't happen. They got to rent the same amount of movies, or more, for half of what they were spending before. They didn't buy the confection, they didn't buy the PRP. They came in, exchanged their movies and left.

What color is they sky in your world?

godIhatethisjob
October 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Because of this people will go to online more then the store is your line of thinking right?

1. The bring back the movie, we ship there movie being immediatly (which is faster then mailing it for them).

2. They get a free movie to rent, go around and look for more. We get a dollar or something per coupon.

Thus money for blockbuster, making your TNR, and getting your "Bonus".

Actually no. I have no idea how this will make money for us... the revenue per movie will go down. If we only get one dollar or $2 per coupon instead of the normal 4.29, then we will lose money. Blockbuster is scarifing all their assets to put the hurt on netflixs. If you included the $19 of revenue from the online per month, would we still recover the costs? What about the people who are not online customers, now the lastest movies are checked out; so they get pissed...and telling them the best way to get the newest movies is to pay $19 a month for a membership is not the smartest idea. With ondemand and downloading movies over the internet(vonage)...its only time...

OzMan
October 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Oh, thank God that we got yet ANOTHER thread on this, otherwise, we might never have gotten this little gem:

Please explain how the laws of physics differ on your kool-aid-laden world, where putting the movies in the mailbox tomorrow morning yourself is going to get them back to dist QUICKER than the customer dropping them today.

Hell, now Antivideo has you believing in magic wormholes. Well, why not?? I mean, we're talking about the same people that think you can make a profit on all of this at $20 a month, and that handing out free online trials like tic tacs at a bad breath convention isn't going to put your stores out of business.

I can't wait to see the next "big idea" that they try to convince you will work;)

GoEagles
October 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I haven't heard that they will be raising prices, so keep in mind that customers get all of this for $18!!!:eek:

OzMan
October 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I haven't heard that they will be raising prices, so keep in mind that customers get all of this for $18!!!:eek:

Well, I wasn't entirely sure what they were charging(perhaps $18 is an introductory rate), so I erred on the side of caution and rounded up. (Cause all I need is some Kool-aid sipper telling me that the TWO WHOLE DOLLARS MORE they get from a customer is going to SAVE THE COMPANY (yep, religious zealots tend to shout a lot;) )

And did you guys lower the in-store MP?? I could swear it was $28, and I saw it today for $25

cakenicing4u
October 17th, 2006, 02:28 PM
MP price depends on your store. My old store it was 28 and my new one it's 25

AmazonBitch
October 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Please explain how the laws of physics differ on your kool-aid-laden world, where putting the movies in the mailbox tomorrow morning yourself is going to get them back to dist QUICKER than the customer dropping them today.

I think he was saying that they mark them as returned in the store, before mailing them back, so that the que sends new movies immediately. ;)

sar94pga
October 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I think he was saying that they mark them as returned in the store, before mailing them back, so that the que sends new movies immediately. ;)

yup, that is correct. so, as opposed to the dvd sitting in the mailbox, then taking the day to get back to the DC, then a day to ship out the next one, if the online rental is checked in within the hours of 10am-12:30pm, the next movie on the list will ship that day. and depending on location (where i am, if i put it in the mail on monday, i will get my next one on Wens) they "should" get it the next day. so, we shall see.

and no, i have no idea how this will make us money.

DraconianSM
October 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM

There's absolutely no reason to post a reply when sharp people like AB do it for you. You don't even work for BBV anymore and you get it.:)

SavageUK
October 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I don't think this will be something that'll transfer to the UK because this country is so much smaller than the States so there won't be too much benefit.

However, I think BBI thinks it would be good to get all online returns processed in store so that less staff are needed at the central warehouse. Returns are checked by CSRs which means someone doesn't need to do this same process at the warehouse. And like others have mentioned they hope that these customers returning onlines will buy something instore, but most of us know this is very unlikely.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 17th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I don't think this will be something that'll transfer to the UK because this country is so much smaller than the States so there won't be too much benefit.

However, I think BBI thinks it would be good to get all online returns processed in store so that less staff are needed at the central warehouse. Returns are checked by CSRs which means someone doesn't need to do this same process at the warehouse. And like others have mentioned they hope that these customers returning onlines will buy something instore, but most of us know this is very unlikely.

We actually aren't required to check the online mailers. Customers will most likely give them to us with the envelopes sealed anyway. We're only required to put them in a special yellow box and then take them to the mail box or post office the next morning. The warehouse guys will handle checking the DVDs themselves.

sar94pga
October 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM
We actually aren't required to check the online mailers. Customers will most likely give them to us with the envelopes sealed anyway. We're only required to put them in a special yellow box and then take them to the mail box or post office the next morning. The warehouse guys will handle checking the DVDs themselves.

yeah, um, no. that is not correct. at all. we check them in at the store. that is how the next movie in their queue gets released. AND that is how they get the free rental. so, in essence, we are not required to check in their online rentals, we could just mail them back for them, without checking them in, but wouldnt that defeat the whole purpose of this new process?

smit1979
October 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I think Blockbusterluvsu is saying that we don't quality check the movies. They are sealed when we get them, we check them in, then mail them. BB online worries about what's inside the envelope.

yousickf'ingbastard
October 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
(Cause all I need is some Kool-aid sipper telling me that the TWO WHOLE DOLLARS MORE they get from a customer is going to SAVE THE COMPANY

I think Blockbuster needs to go into the robbing of federal banks to make up that deficit

zooworker
October 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm sure they know it won't.....:(

URBAN_COWBOY
October 17th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh, thank God that we got yet ANOTHER thread on this, otherwise, we might never have gotten this little gem:

Hell, now Antivideo has you believing in magic wormholes. Well, why not?? I mean, we're talking about the same people that think you can make a profit on all of this at $20 a month, and that handing out free online trials like tic tacs at a bad breath convention isn't going to put your stores out of business.

I can't wait to see the next "big idea" that they try to convince you will work;)hey, I used the kool-aid line in this thread first, get your own.:D

zooworker
October 17th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Wow, the kool-aid is being served again. This is the same thing they said about the Movie Pass. Hey, your customers who spend $60 a month on movies are now only going to pay $30 a month. But don't worry, they will spend more on PRP, new DVD's and confection. It didn't happen. They got to rent the same amount of movies, or more, for half of what they were spending before. They didn't buy the confection, they didn't buy the PRP. They came in, exchanged their movies and left.

What color is they sky in your world?
Looking very black here........:(

OzMan
October 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM

But his argument was, it would make more profit for BBI because THEY (BBI) would get the movies back to dist quicker.

Hell, giving out MORE movies on an online movie pass is just losing money quicker for BBI

Especially if you get all of the returns back a day later than you otherwise would.

OzMan
October 18th, 2006, 12:38 AM
hey, I used the kool-aid line in this thread first, get your own.:D

Hey, buddy... I INVENTED the kool-aid line.... or at least brought it to this site and got it into the popular usage.

If anything, you should credit ME every time you use it (like you do with "donkey punch" and whatever line you stole from Beer Monkey)

;)

LordPerrin
October 18th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Hey, buddy... I INVENTED the kool-aid line.... or at least brought it to this site and got it into the popular usage.

If anything, you should credit ME every time you use it (like you do with "donkey punch" and whatever line you stole from Beer Monkey)

;)

And Dingo Video, eh? ;-)

So, in the other thread, someone said they will be changing the online program to giving 1 coupon per month. I really hope not. They started out with 2, then they went to 1 per week. I'm just now getting used to that. For myself, if they change it to 1 coupon per month, then I only have a reason to go in store once a month. Mainly due to the fact that my queue consists of Carnivale Season 2, Scrubs 2, 3, and 4, the Fantastic Four cartoon, Invasion, Threshold, and a ton of other series that none of the three local stores here carry. So the only reason to go in would be to swap them out for the new releases that I usually use my free coupon for.

If this is true, I'll have to make sure all of my onlines are finished by tuesday, get in and get the new movies, since they won't be back in for at least a week.

orbitdvd
October 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM
And Dingo Video, eh? ;-)

So, in the other thread, someone said they will be changing the online program to giving 1 coupon per month. I really hope not. They started out with 2, then they went to 1 per week. I'm just now getting used to that. For myself, if they change it to 1 coupon per month, then I only have a reason to go in store once a month. Mainly due to the fact that my queue consists of Carnivale Season 2, Scrubs 2, 3, and 4, the Fantastic Four cartoon, Invasion, Threshold, and a ton of other series that none of the three local stores here carry. So the only reason to go in would be to swap them out for the new releases that I usually use my free coupon for.

If this is true, I'll have to make sure all of my onlines are finished by tuesday, get in and get the new movies, since they won't be back in for at least a week.

How much more instore business are they projecting this to make? Are they going to compensate with more copies of titles?

marc

coldie
October 18th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Has anyone seen the new 2-week trial slips? They're about as long as my forearm + hand and wider than your average bumper sticker.

One guy said, "See all that extra paper? That's our raise."

I guess it's a smart idea to make it large and bulky to prevent automatic thought-free discarding of the previous slips, but this is bloody overkill. It's like in a gas station where they attach a restroom key to a toilet seat so it's never lost or stolen.

And in big blindling old-school BB font: "TOTAL ACCESS"

I can't resist the urge for a little creative scissor/tape use to make it the TOTAL ASS banner.

cakenicing4u
October 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
One guy said, "See all that extra paper? That's our raise."

How about the 500 OLD online packs that we have left from last time. I was at a sister store tonight and they have a large box just full of packs of onlines.... I thought for sure that THAT was my bonus...

sar94pga
October 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
How about the 500 OLD online packs that we have left from last time. I was at a sister store tonight and they have a large box just full of packs of onlines.... I thought for sure that THAT was my bonus...

yeah that happened to one of the stores in my area, they are prolly just trying to clean out the warehouse.

zooworker
October 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like they were not very good at giving them out, We kept running out.

sar94pga
October 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Sounds like they were not very good at giving them out, We kept running out.

we got more of the new trials than i have in active members. laugh.

brantheman
October 19th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Has anyone seen the new 2-week trial slips? They're about as long as my forearm + hand and wider than your average bumper sticker.

Yeah. 1,100 of them! Bah. Fucking huge, too.

Customer: Could I get a bag?

Me: Sure. *grabs movies*

Customer: I meant for the trial slip.

GoEagles
October 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Has anybody else noticed a significant increase in new releases in anticipation of "Total Access". We received an exorbinant amount of the movie Click and was wondering if other stores got a huge amount.

Go Eagles!

Thrash767
October 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Just got an email today saying the launch was pushed back to November 2.

So all that POP we got this week is going to take up store room space until then I guess.

OzMan
October 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Has anybody else noticed a significant increase in new releases in anticipation of "Total Access". We received an exorbinant amount of the movie Click and was wondering if other stores got a huge amount.

And yet the local stores STILL were out for the week-end.... and that's BEFORE this brilliant plan:rolleyes:

sar94pga
October 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah. 1,100 of them! Bah. Fucking huge, too.

Customer: Could I get a bag?

Me: Sure. *grabs movies*

Customer: I meant for the trial slip.

LMAO :D :D

you could slit someones throat with one of those things!!

whorehoppin
October 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Nov. 1st is the probable date but not certain right now.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Just got an email today saying the launch was pushed back to November 2.

So all that POP we got this week is going to take up store room space until then I guess.

Oh give me a break. Why would they do this?? We were telling people about the Oct. 23rd launch for several days before we got that email saying not to. I'm sure many other stores were as well. So now we will have customers bringing in their online rentals on the 23rd. Great.

URBAN_COWBOY
October 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Oh give me a break. Why would they do this?? We were telling people about the Oct. 23rd launch for several days before we got that email saying not to. I'm sure many other stores were as well. So now we will have customers bringing in their online rentals on the 23rd. Great.nothing personal, but are you new to BB? How could you ask this question? The company is run by retarded monkeys throwing shit at colored squares on the wall to see what sticks.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Well there must be some reason, even if it makes no sense (which it probably doesn't).

WIIFMSucks
October 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh give me a break. Why would they do this?? We were telling people about the Oct. 23rd launch for several days before we got that email saying not to. I'm sure many other stores were as well. So now we will have customers bringing in their online rentals on the 23rd. Great.

Well, there is of course the other issue where we weren't supposed to tell the customers about total acccess before it launches. So this shouldn't be a problem in any store.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Well, there is of course the other issue where we weren't supposed to tell the customers about total acccess before it launches. So this shouldn't be a problem in any store.

We got that email a week after my SM told us all about the program. She encouraged us to let people know about it, so if they instructed HER not to tell customers in the first place (before the email), she didn't pass it on to us. Which, knowing her, isn't likely.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Angry
October 19th, 2006, 07:55 PM
On the chance of repetitiveness, this is one fucking stupid idea.

zooworker
October 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM
On the chance of repetitiveness, this is one fucking stupid idea.
And this surprises you?:rolleyes:

brantheman
October 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM

We got that email a week after my SM told us all about the program. She encouraged us to let people know about it, so if they instructed HER not to tell customers in the first place (before the email), she didn't pass it on to us. Which, knowing her, isn't likely.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Your SM is a tard. At my store we've been keeping our lips sealed about the new program, and if I catch one of my CSR's telling someone about it I slap them with my bitch cane. In BBI's defense, keeping it quiet for now is a good idea. Otherwise, you're going to have customers bugging the shit out of you left and right about it, or bringing in the online movies TOMORROW and screaming at me because I wont give them free rentals for them yet. Anything is possible :(

whorehoppin
October 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
i bet they'll want us to get a lot more activations per store once this rolls out - my store has been doing pretty good but its so hard to know if you're going to get more than a few each week. I should tell these customers that once they've activated they need to call the store and tell us they're on. I hate not knowing on a daily basis how many we have - we should get a report saying who registered using our store code every day.

billisdman
October 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Im Not Sure If It Has Been Mentioned On The Board But All Stores Are Getting A Lap Top Computer To Activate Customers Right There In The Store. Your Lap Top Will Block Other Sites Though But You Will Have Access To Blockbuster.com And Netflix So Customers Can Cancel Their Netflix And Activate Blockbuster Online.

whorehoppin
October 20th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Im Not Sure If It Has Been Mentioned On The Board But All Stores Are Getting A Lap Top Computer To Activate Customers Right There In The Store. Your Lap Top Will Block Other Sites Though But You Will Have Access To Blockbuster.com And Netflix So Customers Can Cancel Their Netflix And Activate Blockbuster Online.

no shit? where are they getting the money for that?

should just move the compass system up front and change the restrictions to allow those sites.

can we use the laptop for imdb.com?? that would rock.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM

That seems really unlikely to me. Where did you hear it?

HardcoreKeith
October 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
That seems really unlikely to me. Where did you hear it?

They sent out this memo with a list of suggestions to increase activations. One is, "Have DL bring in laptop so customers can see how it works!" or something.

The thing is -- no DL is ever going to do that. :P

sar94pga
October 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
They sent out this memo with a list of suggestions to increase activations. One is, "Have DL bring in laptop so customers can see how it works!" or something.

The thing is -- no DL is ever going to do that. :P

hmm. considering my DM is about 2 1/2 (:D ) hours away from me, that is never going to happen.

I wish our PC's at least had Microsoft Office so we could draw up memo's and shit like that. that would be beneficial.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
It would be nice if there were a little kiosk where customers could access their online accounts or sign up for an online membership, but that will never happen due to the cost.

And because it is a good idea.

sar94pga
October 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM

it IS a good idea. but there are also several problems with that.

like tonight for instance, it rained in my part of the country, and we were busier than hell, so, there is no way i would have been able to coddle people through the website, sign up new members, sell rewards, give away onlines and god forbid smoke a cigarette!

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM

like tonight for instance, it rained in my part of the country, and we were busier than hell, so, there is no way i would have been able to coddle people through the website, sign up new members, sell rewards, give away onlines and god forbid smoke a cigarette!

Well there's an easy solution to that problem: just include a sign on the kiosk that states "if you can't navigate this website you are a total dumbass, and asking an employee for help will reveal to everyone your complete and utter stupidity. Try two weeks free!"

sar94pga
October 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Well there's an easy solution to that problem: just include a sign on the kiosk that states "if you can't navigate this website you are a total dumbass, and asking an employee for help will reveal to everyone your complete and utter stupidity. Try two weeks free!"

LOL, that might cause a few complaints. i would laugh my ass off though!

libra
October 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM
So about total access... I'm not saying we're going to start it early. But the computer does allow us to do it now. So what would happen if we did. Again I'm not going to do it. I don't want to be the person who gets in trouble. But they are allowing employees to go ahead & checkin their onlines for free rentals. So what would be the difference if we did it for 1 customer instead of 1 employee. Who would know the difference?

zooworker
October 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
So about total access... I'm not saying we're going to start it early. But the computer does allow us to do it now. So what would happen if we did. Again I'm not going to do it. I don't want to be the person who gets in trouble. But they are allowing employees to go ahead & checkin their onlines for free rentals. So what would be the difference if we did it for 1 customer instead of 1 employee. Who would know the difference?
LP.................goahead and try it.......so fired...........;)

zooworker
October 21st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Oh right, I can just see 20 kids pounding on it like they do the BEC, and someone running out the door with it. Do yo really think they would do this with the moeny crunch?

godIhatethisjob
October 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM

Actually, that might happened

godIhatethisjob
October 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
It would be nice if there were a little kiosk where customers could access their online accounts or sign up for an online membership, but that will never happen due to the cost.

Actually, that might happened

whorehoppin
October 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
I actually got an e-mail saying that laptops are coming this week to every store?? it was in Compass.

WIIFMSucks
October 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM
The laptops are being tested in a few areas

coldie
October 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
I didn't get any e-mails about laptops, that'd be sweet, but in November we'll be getting new verifones. Complete with rounded edges, a pressure pen, and the ability to swipe BEFORE completing transaction.

May the days begone of...
"Press the green button and slide."
"What?"
"Press the green button first, then slide your card."
"I already swiped it."
"But it won't work until I put it in the computer first, after that is when you press the green button and swipe the card."
"OMG ITS SO FUCKING DIFFICULT HERE!"

Angry
October 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
I didn't get any e-mails about laptops, that'd be sweet, but in November we'll be getting new verifones. Complete with rounded edges, a pressure pen, and the ability to swipe BEFORE completing transaction.

"What?"
"I already swiped it."
"But it won't work until I put it in the computer first, after that is when you press the green button and swipe the card."

Yeah we recently got our equipment survey, so hopefully we'll get our new verifones around the same time. :)

kyzaskiwi
October 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM

"What?"
"I already swiped it."

oh that will still happen.. believe me, i work at vons (grocery store) and i the number 1 complaint at that place is the verifone pads.. They are always complainint about it but whats funny is that most people can use it just fine, and i have never ever had a problem with it before myself! so i dont know why they cant use it correctly! But if there is some way to mess it up and complain, a customer will find it =(

DAntiheroJ
October 21st, 2006, 11:07 PM

Yes, with the pressure pen functionality to be added later. At least the price tower things and the old machines will be gone.

zooworker
October 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yes, with the pressure pen functionality to be added later. At least the price tower things and the old machines will be gone.
Don't be so happy yet, here they are crashing on the second day in use in this area..........:o

DAntiheroJ
October 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Don't be so happy yet, here they are crashing on the second day in use in this area..........:o

Yay, one more thing to look forward to..... Damnit, Now I hope they don't do mine till the damn things work.

zooworker
October 21st, 2006, 11:31 PM
Yay, one more thing to look forward to..... Damnit, Now I hope they don't do mine till the damn things work.
And don't believe that crap that you will be on manual for just an hour, try 5 or 6.

CureForEmo
October 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
The verifones are pretty sweet. The main reason for the changeover is so we'll be in compliance with the new encryption standards, but etch a sketch signatures are supposedly coming as soon as the majority of the stores are installed. several stores around here were part of the test before they rolled out company wide. my staff loves that they can now just type visa for everything and the cust can slide whatever gc/cred/deb card whenever they want.

couple of ours crashed right off the bat because some install wasn't done correctly, but comp support took care of it and they've been fine ever since.

and on a side note I think the laptops (which I can also vouch for the credibility of) are a great idea as long as they get bolted to something.

BBVTyrant
October 22nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
The verifones are pretty sweet. The main reason for the changeover is so we'll be in compliance with the new encryption standards, but etch a sketch signatures are supposedly coming as soon as the majority of the stores are installed. several stores around here were part of the test before they rolled out company wide. my staff loves that they can now just type visa for everything and the cust can slide whatever gc/cred/deb card whenever they want.

couple of ours crashed right off the bat because some install wasn't done correctly, but comp support took care of it and they've been fine ever since.

and on a side note I think the laptops (which I can also vouch for the credibility of) are a great idea as long as they get bolted to something.

When I was still there, I preached for the longest time that this is exactly what the stores needed in order to effectively demonstrate Blockbuster Online. Otherwise, for most customers, your sales pitch will go in one ear and out the other by the time they get home.

Interesting that it will have access to Netflix, as well. I personally was lobbying for access to IMDB.com, as well. No more, it had this actor .... so and so directed it ... it came out around whatever whatever .... etc.

whotony
October 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM

it's blockbustertown

And Dingo Video, eh? ;-)

So, in the other thread, someone said they will be changing the online program to giving 1 coupon per month. I really hope not. They started out with 2, then they went to 1 per week. I'm just now getting used to that. For myself, if they change it to 1 coupon per month, then I only have a reason to go in store once a month. .......

its true.
also the number of dvds out plans are changing.

not sure what the plans are but there apparently is an 8 out and maybe a 6 out.
these will be removed for lesser am't of movies out for lower prices.
those who have had the plans with the higher outs will be grandfathered in to keep their current plan.
i thought he said only those people who were in before this past january
but i may have misunderstood that.

Oh give me a break. Why would they do this?? ......

nothing personal, but are you new to BB? How could you ask this question? The company is run by retarded monkeys throwing shit at colored squares on the wall to see what sticks.

Well there must be some reason, even if it makes no sense (which it probably doesn't).

ever see the movie Chinatown?

remember when the guy says "it's chinatown"?

he means "cant explain it, its just the way it is in chinatown."

at our store we just resond to unexplainables by saying "it's blockbustertown."

we werent told about the netflix thing in our meeting.

no shit? where are they getting the money for that?

should just move the compass system up front and change the restrictions to allow those sites.

can we use the laptop for imdb.com?? that would rock.

probably not imdb.com, but BB.com has limited but similiar search ability

"What?"
"I already swiped it."

my favorite is eveytime i say press the green button.
then they stare at the box for a few seconds then slide the card anyway
then i say, press the green button first.
this is were i want to say didn't you just hear me say press the green button!

probably behind the counter and we will input the info.

sar94pga
October 22nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
that post took up a whole page. and, really didnt say anything. well done.

Woodstock
October 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM

:D :D :D

Good one Sar!!

yousickf'ingbastard
October 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM

i thought this was funny

Last edited by whotony : Today at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling

i would've just deleted the damn thing

Woodstock
October 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
it's blockbustertown

its true.
also the number of dvds out plans are changing.

not sure what the plans are but there apparently is an 8 out and maybe a 6 out.
these will be removed for lesser am't of movies out for lower prices.
those who have had the plans with the higher outs will be grandfathered in to keep their current plan.
i thought he said only those people who were in before this past january
but i may have misunderstood that.

ever see the movie Chinatown?

remember when the guy says "it's chinatown"?

he means "cant explain it, its just the way it is in chinatown."

at our store we just resond to unexplainables by saying "it's blockbustertown."

we werent told about the netflix thing in our meeting.

probably not imdb.com, but BB.com has limited but similiar search ability

And that was AFTER it was spell-checked! LOL

zooworker
October 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
And that was AFTER it was spell-checked! LOL
Guess he doesn't really know there is a spell checker on this site:rolleyes:

rk237
October 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM

Hahaha good one. Moral of that story? Customers = dumb.

I like this guy! Give us more, Whotony.

zooworker
October 22nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
Hahaha good one. Moral of that story? Customers = dumb.

I like this guy! Give us more, Whotony.
Come on RK, how many times have we heard the green button story?:rolleyes:
Just press the goddamn green button OK?

rk237
October 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Come on RK, how many times have we heard the green button story?:rolleyes:
Just press the goddamn green button OK?

Gee, that was the first time hearing it for me, and I never had the green button problem at my store. ;)

OzMan
October 23rd, 2006, 01:41 AM

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Instead of spending HALF the money, and getting easier-to-secure-to-a-counter PCs/desktops, let's spend even MORE money we don't have (wonder who's going to get stuck with that bill, post-bankruptcy) and have laptops...... want to start a poll on how long til the first one is reported stolen?

I actually got an e-mail saying that laptops are coming this week to every store?? it was in Compass.

Sorry, still can't believe it.

Yeah, cause employees are SO MUCH MORE trustworthy than customers. That's why 70% of shrink is internal, and you are running inventory teams.

:rolleyes:

Lomithrandel
October 23rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
We never ever get kiosks or separate computers designed for ridiculous tasks or overblown and waste of money promotions like are done down there... maybe another reason why the US is struggling to pay its bills, while we use $100 bills to wipe our pale Canadian asses.

rk237
October 23rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
maybe another reason why the US is struggling to pay its bills, while we use $100 bills to wipe our pale Canadian asses.

Damn it, five years ago there would have been a great exchange rate follow-up joke. :rolleyes: ;)

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
while we use $100 bills to wipe our pale Canadian asses.
That's what happened here until they ran out of them. Your next.:cool:

katiebell
October 23rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Received a voicemail this morning that all stores are going to receive a laptop so we can sign customers up in the store and get their first coupon. Should be arriving this week. Also that the top 10% of stores between now and Dec. 31st with the highest activation rate to active member will receive a i-pod nano. This is everone in the store! They are starting to get some sense now it sounds like to me. We will find out more tomorrow at our 4th quarter conference.

katiebell
October 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
yoo hooo, I made it to 100 posts today and it's my birthday too....yippy! sorry, just got a little excited there for a moment :-)

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Received a voicemail this morning that all stores are going to receive a laptop so we can sign customers up in the store and get their first coupon. Should be arriving this week. Also that the top 10% of stores between now and Dec. 31st with the highest activation rate to active member will receive a i-pod nano. This is everone in the store! They are starting to get some sense now it sounds like to me. We will find out more tomorrow at our 4th quarter conference.
Have the voice mail for the I-pod but nothing about laptops.

yoo hooo, I made it to 100 posts today and it's my birthday too....yippy! sorry, just got a little excited there for a moment :-)
Happy birthday! But your still a n00b.:D

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Happy birthday! But your still a n00b.:D

I'd like to think i'm still a n00b.

coldie
October 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'd like to think i'm still a n00b.

And I'd like to think I'm halfway past n00bness.

It's the one thing I always hated when changing forums.

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
And I'd like to think I'm halfway past n00bness.

It's the one thing I always hated when changing forums.

This was my first forum to be at since I was like 14 or something. Besides, I want to be a n00b forever. FOREVA N00BZ!1111

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
This was my first forum to be at since I was like 14 or something. Besides, I want to be a n00b forever. FOREVA N00BZ!1111
Bran I grant you n00b forever
http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/noob_1.jpg

rk237
October 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah well I'm part of the evil n00b movement of 2005.

Aphrodite
October 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
You, Fuzzie, Trailerslut, Brody, Calipso and Blockbustersuxnuts......

....and the rest :p

rk237
October 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
You, Fuzzie, Trailerslut, Brody, Calipso and Blockbustersuxnuts......

....and the rest :p

Wow good memory Aph. :)

Aphrodite
October 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Yes I have...:p

Im pretty sure someone was talking to Borat about a goat he had

...what was it called again RK?

rk237
October 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yes I have...:p

Im pretty sure someone was talking to Borat about a goat he had

...what was it called again RK?

Oh man. :(
I'm so sorry Aph.

:o

... Sorry!!!

Aphrodite
October 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
LOL :D

Im just teasing you Rk ;)

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
i mean come on they get a movie from in store and from online but there is a cut back of free coupons to print out why not just keep the coups and forget these crazy half baked schemes. the thing that really grinds my gears is there will be alot of credits because if you check in the movies under regular check they dont get their free rental you have to bring up there account type in online and then check it in and immediately check out there next movie the whole thing is just incrediblely frustrating.

yousickf'ingbastard
October 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
the thing that really grinds my gears is there will be alot of credits because if you check in the movies under regular check they dont get their free rental you have to bring up there account type in online and then check it in and immediately check out there next movie the whole thing is just incrediblely frustrating.

:D :D lol

"grind my gears"

you know what grinds my gears. idiots.

Propoxy
October 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM
the thing that really grinds my gears is there will be alot of credits because if you check in the movies under regular check they dont get their free rental you have to bring up there account type in online and then check it in and immediately check out there next movie the whole thing is just incrediblely frustrating.
There may be the occasional slip while still in Movie Pass mindset, but good training and PAYING ATTENTION while on register will eliminate most need for credits.

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
i agree, but for some reason maybe its because i work in a ditdaduh state but we have really high turn over not to mention some of the most retarded employees ever. i actually had to teach one of my csr's how to use a vacuum. so i expect alot of credits.

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
i mean come on they get a movie from in store and from online but there is a cut back of free coupons to print out why not just keep the coups and forget these crazy half baked schemes. the thing that really grinds my gears is there will be alot of credits because if you check in the movies under regular check they dont get their free rental you have to bring up there account type in online and then check it in and immediately check out there next movie the whole thing is just incrediblely frustrating.
Get with the program or get out of BBI, it's here to stay so learn to deal with it. Training is the key. I don't see whats so hard about checking them in properly.

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
naw i agree zooworker, i think my main beef with it is i know how customers are esp. with the movie pass. They will drop it off in the dropbox come in the next day and say " I thought i get a free movie cuz i turned in my online one". thats what i am worried about.

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Oh, there are always a few assholes customers who will be hard to train. I will give them 1 screw up and comment the account then no more credits.

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
i agree, but for some reason maybe its because i work in a ditdaduh state but we have really high turn over not to mention some of the most retarded employees ever. i actually had to teach one of my csr's how to use a vacuum. so i expect alot of credits.

If your CSR's are that bad, i'd say the problem isn't with the CSR. It's with your manager ;)

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
If your CSR's are that bad, i'd say the problem isn't with the CSR. It's with your manager ;)
I agree Bran, sounds like management hiring skills could use some improving there.:rolleyes:

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
ohh i most definately agree, it all started with that whole 120 management hours we had people quitting and transfers taking place from my store to fulfill that and the wholes within the district. Well it left me (asm) and the store manager and 4 csr's. So we were pretty screwed so she goes and hires what i considered as "warm bodies" to fill in the schedule in which i totally disagreed with but shit i guess it got me out of working 60 hours every week. Then she upped and quit so its like fuck weve been playing catch up. And everytime we start to get people trained people start quitting or moving. But enough with my irrelavant ranting haha...I still rather work for BBuster then some of my previous jobs

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
from my store to fulfill that and the wholes within the district. Well it left me (asm) and the store manager and 4 csr's.

too bad i cant spell....:D

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 09:42 PM
too bad i cant spell....:D
No need to double post, you can edit your post. In fact use the spell checker.:cool:

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
but shit i guess it got me out of working 60 hours every week.

You mean you'd complain with getting 60 hours a week? Ever heard of over time? I get scheduled at about 32 a week and end up working anywhere from 35 to 40 ultimately - and I like it that way. But I dunno...maybe i'm just a workaholic :p

DAntiheroJ
October 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
i think my main beef with it is i know how customers are esp. with the movie pass. They will drop it off in the dropbox come in the next day and say " I thought i get a free movie cuz i turned in my online one". thats what i am worried about.

Fuck that noise, I ain't giving a credit because someone is too stupid to read how the program works before using trying to use it. EVERYTHING I have seen: flyers, pop, website... it all says the free rental MUST be gotten at the same time as you return the online mailer. They will try, but it is spelled out clear as day and I ain't screwing with my credits and tnr for that bullshit. They can wait two days for the next movie to come in the mail and come trade it in then.

You mean you'd complain with getting 60 hours a week? Ever heard of over time? I get scheduled at about 32 a week and end up working anywhere from 35 to 40 ultimately - and I like it that way. But I dunno...maybe i'm just a workaholic :p

Overtime is taboo, but I play the hours game with Price is Right rules: as close to 40 without going over. Call it being a workaholic, or an insatiable desire for my check to be as big as possible. Same difference.

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't happen in my store, I've got one of those managers that sticks to the corp way of scheduling. Really pissing off the SL here.

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Fuck that noise, I ain't giving a credit because someone is too stupid to read how the program works before using trying to use it. EVERYTHING I have seen: flyers, pop, website... it all says the free rental MUST be gotten at the same time as you return the online mailer. They will try, but it is spelled out clear as day and I ain't screwing with my credits and tnr for that bullshit. They can wait two days for the next movie to come in the mail and come trade it in then.

Overtime is taboo, but I play the hours game with Price is Right rules: as close to 40 without going over. Call it being a workaholic, or an insatiable desire for my check to be as big as possible.

I've got the same concern about the BBOTA, too. But, like you said, i'm not giving out a completely unnecessary credit.

And yeah, big pay checks are good. Especially with overtime. I make 9.10 an hour now, so time and a half overtime makes it even better, not to mention we've got bonuses coming in the paycheck after next. 54 cents! WOOO!!!!!

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Wouldn't happen in my store, I've got one of those managers that sticks to the corp way of scheduling. Really pissing off the SL here.

Was pissing me off, too, but fortunately for me, my store has a "special situation", as my DL calls it. My SM is a single mother and the ASM works a day job. The other SL is 300 years old, and I get off my day job at about 3:00 in the afternoon Monday through Friday. With the exception of the SM, I get the most hours at my store.

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
Was pissing me off, too, but fortunately for me, my store has a "special situation", as my DL calls it. My SM is a single mother and the ASM works a day job. The other SL is 300 years old, and I get off my day job at about 3:00 in the afternoon Monday through Friday. With the exception of the SM, I get the most hours at my store.
SM should be available anytime and so should the ASM. Neither should have special hours according to corp.

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
SM should be available anytime and so should the ASM. Neither should have special hours according to corp.

Well then...at the moment, it would appear that corp is being pwn3d, wouldn't it? :D

zooworker
October 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
I wish to hell I could get my special hours.:(

brantheman
October 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
I wish to hell I could get my special hours.:(

Special hours for special people :)

ripGRUSH
October 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Fuck that noise, I ain't giving a credit because someone is too stupid .

thats great. i love that comment. oh shit yeah man OT is the greatest thing in the world. just it gets a little old after about a month.....of course until payday

DAntiheroJ
October 24th, 2006, 05:15 AM
thats great. i love that comment. oh shit yeah man OT is the greatest thing in the world. just it gets a little old after about a month.....of course until payday

So do close-opens, but I do that monday-tuesday every week to get my hours.

katiebell
October 24th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Just home from the C04 regional conference and YES we are getting laptops on Friday this week. Only 5 or so stores won't (they are closing soon). No excuse now for customers not to sign up, they will get the benefit right away with the free rental coupon.

Aphrodite
October 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Congratulations Katiebell on 100 posts :D

brantheman
October 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Congratulations Katiebell on 100 posts :D

HEY!!!!! Where's my congrats?! I hit 600 whenever Cowboy was bringing sexy back last night!!

zooworker
October 24th, 2006, 05:20 PM
That's because your a guy , I think........:p

rk237
October 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Also Katiebell has been here for years.

DAntiheroJ
October 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
So my SM just called me and told me all the stuff from the regional meeting today. I felt like I had ESP from this forum... YAY IHBB!!

Aphrodite
October 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
HEY!!!!! Where's my congrats?! I hit 600 whenever Cowboy was bringing sexy back last night!!

We normally only celebrate when someone hits 1000 post marker ;)

KatieBell was a special case since she took nearly 4 years to reach 100 posts so I thought she deserved it :eek:

If it makes you feel better though...

woooo yaaay congrats Bran on 600 posts :D

rk237
October 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Hey but I just hit 1,500 the other day, which means about 200 quality posts. Where's my congrats? :(

zooworker
October 24th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hey but I just hit 1,500 the other day, which means about 200 quality posts. Where's my congrats? :(
congrats rk:D

Aphrodite
October 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
lol - you guys are all so needy :D

Congratulations RK on your quality posting and hitting 1500 this week...

wooooooo yaaaaaaay!!!

Are you happy now? :D

rk237
October 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM
lol - you guys are all so needy :D

Congratulations RK on your quality posting and hitting 1500 this week...

wooooooo yaaaaaaay!!!

Are you happy now? :D

Yeah thanks Aph and Zoo :)

Aphrodite
October 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
No worries ;)

zooworker
October 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah thanks Aph and Zoo :)
Your welcome:)

brantheman
October 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Congratulations Aph on your 7,272nd post!!!!! :D

yousickf'ingbastard
October 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM

should've seen her on her 6969th post :rolleyes:

Morbid Angel
October 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Meet Blockbuster's Employee of the Month (http://yousickfuckingbastard.blogspot.com/2005/09/whoa-what-day.html)

Haha! Is that Johnlow?

ripGRUSH
October 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
laptops huh? wheeeeewwwwwwww! i just heard about it a few hours ago i guess i should pay more attention to IHBB. well i just closed and i got to open tomorrow so i got to go dream about our store's new laptop!!!!!!!!!

brantheman
October 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
laptops huh? wheeeeewwwwwwww! i just heard about it a few hours ago i guess i should pay more attention to IHBB. well i just closed and i got to open tomorrow so i got to go dream about our store's new laptop!!!!!!!!!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-034.gif

Aphrodite
October 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Why thankyou Bran :D

NCA
October 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I can't wait to see the next "big idea" that they try to convince you will work;)

The system functions at the store level are linked to the online DCs. When the item(s) are scanned in, it clears a slot(s) in the Member's "Q". On the DC end, it expedites the fulfillment by filling the slot made empty at the store location with the next available movie in the Member's "Q"...hence, improving the delivery time by at least one business day.

People...the real issue here is, it's BLOCKBUSTER Online or it's Netflix. As an BB employee, wouldn't you rather the slow migration move to BB's Online service. If not, maybe you should consider another employer.

Total Access may also serve as a mitigator to VOD...it's the ONLY offering of its kind. NO OTHER rentailer/retailer/renter can offer this like BB can.

brantheman
October 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM
The system functions at the store level are linked to the online DCs. When the item(s) are scanned in, it clears a slot(s) in the Member's "Q". On the DC end, it expedites the fulfillment by filling the slot made empty at the store location with the next available movie in the Member's "Q"...hence, improving the delivery time by at least one business day.

People...the real issue here is, it's BLOCKBUSTER Online or it's Netflix. As an BB employee, wouldn't you rather the slow migration move to BB's Online service. If not, maybe you should consider another employer.

Total Access may also serve as a mitigator to VOD...it's the ONLY offering of its kind. NO OTHER rentailer/retailer/renter can offer this like BB can.

Very defensive, aren't we? :p

URBAN_COWBOY
October 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Total Access may also serve as a mitigator to VOD...it's the ONLY offering of its kind. NO OTHER rentailer/retailer/renter can offer this like BB can.must be strawberry kool-aid today. :rolleyes:

katiebell
October 25th, 2006, 03:46 PM
We normally only celebrate when someone hits 1000 post marker ;)

KatieBell was a special case since she took nearly 4 years to reach 100 posts so I thought she deserved it :eek:

If it makes you feel better though...

Has it really been that long? Thanks everyone!

Aphrodite
October 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
No problem ;)

At this rate you should be celebrating your 200th post sometime around October 2011 :D

zooworker
October 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM

You better hope you get a ton of online checkins and free rental, if you want your store to make a profit to bonus. As it is we already stay out of stock of the NR for 2 to 4 weeks. I can just hear the DL screaming, "YOU ARE DOWN 25% OVER LAST YEAR!!!", and he doesn't get the online payments to your store until the SPR comes out.

brantheman
October 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hmmm....sooo....didn't want to make another thread about this so I figured i'd post it here.

Remember that rumor we were hearing about the laptops going into the store to let customers activate their trial in the store? Yeah, it's true. For my store at least. We got our laptop today. Haven't seen it in action yet, but it's there, still in its box in the office. Just thought i'd share.

HardcoreKeith
October 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I give it 3 days before our wireless networking card gets ganked.

brantheman
October 25th, 2006, 11:41 PM

I want to visit IHBB from work. Oh, the irony :D

And Myspace :rolleyes:

HardcoreKeith
October 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
customer: HardcoreKeith, why am I not in your top 8? I'm a gold member and I've been renting here for 10 years! And who's this "Movie Pass Patty"!?!?!
HK: :confused:

I'm concerned about where all this money is coming from. Anyone look at the invoice for their new verifones? On the other hand, it'd be awesome if we could just not receive any new movies one week to cover that cost.

cust: What came out today?
hk: Oh, a few things, but we didn't get them.
cust: What do you mean?!?!
hk: We got new verifones instead! Look! So pretty! :)

brantheman
October 25th, 2006, 11:46 PM
customer: HardcoreKeith, why am I not in your top 8? I'm a gold member and I've been renting here for 10 years! And who's this "Movie Pass Patty"!?!?!
HK: :confused:

Hahahahhaha. Nice. :cool:

AbandonedDreams
October 25th, 2006, 11:50 PM

I closed last night and when I went to vaccuum, the cord was tied in about 30 knots around the handle rather than being neatly wrapped. Another manager called later to ask me something and when I asked who vaccuumed she was like "the new CSR, why?" so I told her about it and she didn't see any problem with the way it was wrapped. :confused:

AbandonedDreams
October 25th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I want to visit IHBB from work. Oh, the irony :D

And Myspace :rolleyes:

My store is verrry slow some days (we only have about 2,000 actives) and if there is nothing else to do (like on Tuesday when my SM opened with a CSR, the DL stopped by and left right before I got there saying the store looked perfet) my SM doesn't care if those of us in college do our homework....so, I have visited IHBB from work before. :cool:

brantheman
October 26th, 2006, 12:08 AM
My store is verrry slow some days (we only have about 2,000 actives) and if there is nothing else to do (like on Tuesday when my SM opened with a CSR, the DL stopped by and left right before I got there saying the store looked perfet) my SM doesn't care if those of us in college do our homework....so, I have visited IHBB from work before. :cool:

How? What internet connection are you using?

OzMan
October 26th, 2006, 02:50 AM

First of all, it's QUEUE. Maybe if you Yanks hadn't fucked the English language up so badly, you'd know that:D

Second, you STILL have not explained how BBI gets the movie back quicker (to thus get it into another customer's hands quicker, meaning one less copy of a movie they have to buy). This would be the ONLY benefit to BBI (which is what you were going on about), but absent a magic wormhole, that's not going to happen.

And this super-duper benefit of getting your next movie in your QUEUE quicker..... well, Netflix offered that originally (you could "check in" the movie yourself when you mailed it back in), and Intelliflix just started offering it. Netflix did away with it because...... they actually DESIRE a PROFIT...... and giving customers EVEN MORE movies (especially when you are paying for postage) isn't going to get you ANY profit, much less more of it.

sar94pga
October 26th, 2006, 06:53 AM
First of all, it's QUEUE. Maybe if you Yanks hadn't fucked the English language up so badly, you'd know that:D

Second, you STILL have not explained how BBI gets the movie back quicker (to thus get it into another customer's hands quicker, meaning one less copy of a movie they have to buy). This would be the ONLY benefit to BBI (which is what you were going on about), but absent a magic wormhole, that's not going to happen.

And this super-duper benefit of getting your next movie in your QUEUE quicker..... well, Netflix offered that originally (you could "check in" the movie yourself when you mailed it back in), and Intelliflix just started offering it. Netflix did away with it because...... they actually DESIRE a PROFIT...... and giving customers EVEN MORE movies (especially when you are paying for postage) isn't going to get you ANY profit, much less more of it.

YAWN. Tell me Ozzie, are you capable of spewing out anything positive? again, all i read out of your posts is blah blah blah. I have said it before and i will say it again, you are just jealous you don't work for Big Blue!

**Kisses**

wazootybob
October 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Hmmm, is that why you now have a wireless internet at home? :rolleyes:

rk237
October 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
First of all, it's QUEUE. Maybe if you Yanks and other Americans hadn't refined the English language with such exquisite sophistication, you'd care about that :D

Fixed!! :D

sar94pga
October 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! thats much better!

turtletime
October 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
First of all, it's QUEUE. Maybe if you Yanks and other Americans hadn't refined the English language with such exquisite sophistication, you'd care about that

:D :D :rolleyes: love it, rk!!!!!!

Morbid Angel
October 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Is it not obvious? BBI will save money on postage by having the stores mail back discs in bulk.

yousickf'ingbastard
October 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Let's not get started on Australia.

The Dingo Ate Yo Baby

Aphrodite
October 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Hey, Ozzie is a Yank now as well :p

DAntiheroJ
October 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Is it not obvious? BBI will save money on postage by having the stores mail back discs in bulk.

we are just dropping them into a mailbox. no bulk amiling. even online fulfillment stores don't mail anything in bulk. regular postage. two stamps per mailer, one to the customer and one back to us.

HardcoreKeith
October 26th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Verifone fun day #1:

* If a customer slides a giftcard and then selects something other than giftcard, it doesn't work. I am neither surprised that it doesn't work nor surprised that a customer would do this.

* You still have to do the giftcard balance chacha, except, it's now slightly more broken than before. Example:
One woman was renting two movies, 9.57. I gcard 9.57. It doesn't go through, and the Verifone and POS both say the balance is 0.00.
She freaks out and says there's definitely money on there, so I gbal it. Now it says there's $1.20 on there. I then gcard 1.20 successfully....

So, what was previously a maximum two-slide-process now becomes three in the worst case. Yay.

* Since you can hit visa for all credit or debit card transactions now, once you tell them the total, you don't have to say anything else for the rest of the transaction. There's just an eery silence. Unless you tell a quick one-liner, which I might get in the habit of doing.

rk237
October 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hey, Ozzie is a Yank now as well :p

On paper means nada to me. America is a soul thing, like our progenitor England.
Are you with us Oz? I hope so. :)

Lomithrandel
October 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Interesting.... our verifones are activated by anything like mc/visa/debit/etc but when you swipe the card it automatically recognizes what it is and acts accordingly. The only command you need do differently is gcards.

OzMan
October 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM

????

How are you going to do that, when you get them back in individual, sealed postage paid envelopes??

Or do you think Joe Postman is going to say "Oh, look. These are all going to the same place, so we should charge them less"??

Because I fail to realise how you got so far in life (ie, beyond toddler years) without realising the USPS sucks, big time.

brantheman
October 27th, 2006, 02:50 AM

????

How are you going to do that, when you get them back in individual, sealed postage paid envelopes??

Or do you think Joe Postman is going to say "Oh, look. These are all going to the same place, so we should charge them less"??

Because I fail to realise how you got so far in life (ie, beyond toddler years) without realising the USPS sucks, big time.

Hehehe. But something tells me doing this still wouldn't cover the amount of money they're losing by giving free rentals left and right :D

Aphrodite
October 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Blockbuster Corperate: You are wrong Brandon. We will make more money because people who come into the store will buy sweets and a drink.

All Blocbuster Employees: :rolleyes::mad:

katiebell
October 27th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Another bbv communication today, "change" number how many now? 3? Total Access launch will now be on November 1st, that's right we asked for it and bbv responded. Did we ask for it? I don't remember anyone even asking to begin with. Also to remain competitive we will be able to sell (not rent) Mission Impossible 3 on Sunday after 6pm. All I can say is WOW!

SL_600
October 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Blockbuster Corperate: You are wrong Brandon. We will make more money because people who come into the store will buy sweets and a drink.
Aph, not to mention PRP and new DVDs. :rolleyes:

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 27th, 2006, 11:13 PM
* Since you can hit visa for all credit or debit card transactions now

Actually you could have done that before (except for debit). I had an SM who hit MC everytime someone was paying with a credit card. I'm too obsessive compulsive for that though. :D

HardcoreKeith
October 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Actually you could have done that before (except for debit)

And that's exactly the difference that I was pointing out, but thanks for the non-correction.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
And that's exactly the difference that I was pointing out, but thanks for the non-correction.

No problem! I knew my masters in Internet English & Communicative Failure would come in handy one day. ;)

whorehoppin
October 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
so what's the chance that we ever get these Ipods once the contest is over, has anyone ever gotten a prize for any corporate contests in the past?

sar94pga
October 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
so what's the chance that we ever get these Ipods once the contest is over, has anyone ever gotten a prize for any corporate contests in the past?

not prizes....but i have gotten the money :)

zooworker
October 28th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I once got $150 biz bucks back in the days, plus various giftcards. I perfer money over prizes.

sar94pga
October 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I once got $150 biz bucks back in the days, plus various giftcards. I perfer money over prizes.

i remember biz bucks :) yeah i'll take the money please...

allthough, i wouldnt mind an ipod. i want a green one!

zooworker
October 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
i remember biz bucks :) yeah i'll take the money please...

allthough, i wouldnt mind an ipod. i want a green one!
We got one of those voicemails yesterday saying our store is above national average, that we could win if we keep the numbers going.

sar94pga
October 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
We got one of those voicemails yesterday saying our store is above national average, that we could win if we keep the numbers going.

haha. we had 1 activation going into friday. we suck.

Propoxy
October 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
My store won some hats and clocks for Mystery Shop scores. Whoopee.

My old SM got some kind of game system.

What did we get MP3 players for? I think that was some kind of a contest my old store won. They were super cheaply made. But they were free, so I can't really complain.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 28th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Our store outperformed everyone in our region when the Movie Pass was rolled out, so they sent us Blockbuster water bottles, Blockbuster playing cards, and these really nice meat/cheese/cracker basket things, which were LOADED with awesome food.

We got some more of that stuff for our high sales around that time frame, it was really nice.

We had a ton of success with the Online prepaid card contest as well, but we just got nice congratulatory phone call from the RDO that time around, since it was shortly after BBV lost $450 million dollars by getting rid of late fees.

That's why I was shocked to hear that some stores would get ipods.

brantheman
October 28th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Getting an iPod is probably on the bottom of my list of "things to be concerned with at work". We bombed our last two shops, both by two different CSRs. I was the MOD on both. BAH!!! Ironically, i'm told i'm in big trouble if another shop is failed while i'm MOD, yet the two CSRs who failed were fired last week. Both of them!

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Getting an iPod is probably on the bottom of my list of "things to be concerned with at work". We bombed our last two shops, both by two different CSRs. I was the MOD on both. BAH!!! Ironically, i'm told i'm in big trouble if another shop is failed while i'm MOD, yet the two CSRs who failed were fired last week. Both of them!

Were they fired because of their mystery shop scores, or other reasons as well? Because it seems pretty harsh to fire someone after they screwed up one mystery shop.

brantheman
October 29th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Were they fired because of their mystery shop scores, or other reasons as well? Because it seems pretty harsh to fire someone after they screwed up one mystery shop.

Both were no calls no shows 3 days in a row.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 29th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Both were no calls no shows 3 days in a row.

I hate people who do this. It's completely irresponsible, inconsiderate, and unprofessional.

We have an employee who didn't show up for a shift last week and didn't return my SM's phone call about it, so I told her to not schedule him anymore and if he doesn't call us in the next couple days, to just seperate him.

brantheman
October 29th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I hate people who do this. It's completely irresponsible, inconsiderate, and unprofessional.

We have an employee who didn't show up for a shift last week and didn't return my SM's phone call about it, so I told her to not schedule him anymore and if he doesn't call us in the next couple days, to just seperate him.

Actually, we're all quite thrilled about it. As of right now, there are 4 managers and one CSR. We've got two newly hired CSRs starting later this week, both women in their late 20s, one of which was one of my managers when I worked at Hollywood Video some time ago.

On a personal level, I just love being the only male employee again. It really helps when customers try and lie to me.

C: Oh, well, the OTHER guy told me I'd have a free rental this time.

Me: Oh. What was his name?

C: I don't remember?

Me: Was he hispanic?

C: Yeah!

Me: Oh. Yeah, i'm the only guy who works here.

As far as the store as a whole goes, we're just all thrilled to have filtered out the bad and to be replacing it with the potential good. The better the employees, the easier and less stressful everyone elses job is. I couldn't be happier :)

OzMan
October 29th, 2006, 01:49 AM
That's why I was shocked to hear that some stores would get ipods.

I'm more shocked to hear you're getting laptops.

Guess someone called 1-800-CASHCALL:D

brantheman
October 29th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I'm more shocked to hear you're getting laptops.

Guess someone called 1-800-CASHCALL:D

Already got ours. And it only goes to blockbuster.com and netflix's cancellation page. WTF? I was really hoping for access to IMDB :(

EVFNazi
October 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM
My store won some hats and clocks for Mystery Shop scores. Whoopee.

My old SM got some kind of game system.

What did we get MP3 players for? I think that was some kind of a contest my old store won. They were super cheaply made. But they were free, so I can't really complain.

Don't remember but my MP3 is still working and all the new CSR's love it and want the IPOD! Hope it works!

igniteice
October 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Our store outperformed everyone in our region when the Movie Pass was rolled out, so they sent us Blockbuster water bottles, Blockbuster playing cards, and these really nice meat/cheese/cracker basket things, which were LOADED with awesome food.

That's not what I heard.

I heard, from a friend of mine, who works at a Blockbuster store, in your region... well, his friend, who works at another store, is good friends with that store's ASM, who routinely talks to that store's SM. Word has it that his store received those same gifts and accessories. I heard they immensely enjoyed the cheese and crackers.

I also heard that another store might have outperformed that one, but I quickly disregarded that, because that SM I told you about, well, he spoke with the DM, who slipped out that another store had actually received more cheese and crackers than the other two stores.

Important Update

A little bird just e-mailed me the classified list of winners from your district.

1. Your store
1. My friend's store
1. My friend's friend's store
1. That store I heard about
1. That SM-I-told-you-about's DM's spoken of store
1. The other stores

sar94pga
October 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Already got ours. And it only goes to blockbuster.com and netflix's cancellation page. WTF? I was really hoping for access to IMDB :(

if you wanna be crafty about it....

you can acutally utilize the bbo webpage for the same thing. just go to search, type in the name of movie or actor or actress and it will pop up a list of everything in the bbo database with that name in it.

so who here will be exceedingly happy to not have to lug around that huge and heavy movie hound book?

me!! me!! me!!

igniteice
October 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
so who here will be exceedingly happy to not have to lug around that huge and heavy movie hound book?

It was all in my head anyway.

sar94pga
October 29th, 2006, 12:41 PM
It was all in my head anyway.

i love legend by the way. I had a hell of a time finding it on dvd afcionado.....

Woodstock
October 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Will the customer be able to order movies to purchase from BBO?

zooworker
October 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM

if you wanna be crafty about it....

you can acutally utilize the bbo webpage for the same thing. just go to search, type in the name of movie or actor or actress and it will pop up a list of everything in the bbo database with that name in it.

me!! me!! me!!
Haven't thought of that aspect of it, great idea, I'll pass it along to the crew.

Koron
October 29th, 2006, 08:06 PM
In case yall haven't noticed, compass PCs can already access blockbuster.com and you can use it's movie search and store locator features. You can't log in as a online customer, but sure as hell beats using the hound.

DAntiheroJ
October 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM
In case yall haven't noticed, compass PCs can already access blockbuster.com and you can use it's movie search and store locator features. You can't log in as a online customer, but sure as hell beats using the hound.

please tell how get blockbuster.com to work on the compass pcs, i have tried most everything i can think of to make anything other than compass, online connection, the pos, and windows media player work (yea, i watch movies/tv series on the computer while on breaks), and nothing has worked.

zooworker
October 29th, 2006, 08:32 PM
please tell how get blockbuster.com to work on the compass pcs, i have tried most everything i can think of to make anything other than compass, online connection, the pos, and windows media player work (yea, i watch movies/tv series on the computer while on breaks), and nothing has worked.
It involves a hammer.....:cool:

Antithesys
October 29th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The BBO search works about the same as the Videohound, albeit faster. We need IMDB for all the times when the Hound FAILS US, which is quite often.

My SM mentioned they told her at the managers' meeting they were "looking into a way to get IMDB on the access list." As though it were any more difficult than going into the options menu and adding it. I could probably figure it out as soon as our laptop arrives.

zooworker
October 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
The BBO search works about the same as the Videohound, albeit faster. We need IMDB for all the times when the Hound FAILS US, which is quite often.

My SM mentioned they told her at the managers' meeting they were "looking into a way to get IMDB on the access list." As though it were any more difficult than going into the options menu and adding it. I could probably figure it out as soon as our laptop arrives.
Maybe it's a copyright problem, being we would be using it in a retail outlet.

sar94pga
October 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Will the customer be able to order movies to purchase from BBO?

yuppers. so we don't have to turn people away. sure your store doesnt get the money for it, but, the company does.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
i love legend by the way. I had a hell of a time finding it on dvd afcionado.....

Did you watch the director's cut or the original theatrical version with the bad Tangerine Dream soundtrack?

Youdontknowme
October 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Same crap happened to me the last round of shops. 2 shops, 2 different CSR's and we got a 41% both times. The first shop was with a new guy (only his second day). Probably shouldn't have had him on register, but hey... hindsight's 20/20. Second shop was with a girl who was working her last day (albeit we didn't know this til 3 no-show shifts later). DM was going to have me go straight to a final written if we didn't get at least 90% shop on the next shop that fell on my shift. Turns out he got an employee from another store to shop us when I was on shift. I happened to be on register and we got a 100%. Go figure. :rolleyes: At least that's all over with.

igniteice
October 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I just got a 99% last night.

Update

The DM just called me to tell me I lost 1% for not telling the customer to crash and burn driving home.

whorehoppin
October 30th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'm trying to use the blockbuster web site to search for some movies by actor (from my home computer) and it keeps coming to the sign in page as if it wants me to log in to my account in order to continue the search. I haven't used the laptop at work yet for this so does anyone know if it will work w/out having to log in to do a movie search?

I did find that the store locator will be really nice for looking up customer's acct numbers when you have no idea what the phone number of the store they rent from is.

CreepyNormal
October 31st, 2006, 12:59 AM
How much more instore business are they projecting this to make? Are they going to compensate with more copies of titles?

marc

My DM has assured me that we WILL be getting more copies of everything, but we're at T-minus 2 days until launch and we haven't seen any increase.

In the test markets in Colorado and Virginia, in-store traffic increased 400 (read: FOUR HUNDRED) percent.

OzMan
October 31st, 2006, 01:49 AM
In the test markets in Colorado and Virginia, in-store traffic increased 400 (read: FOUR HUNDRED) percent.

Good for them.

And how much did in-store PROFITS increase??

igniteice
October 31st, 2006, 02:00 AM
Good for them.

And how much did in-store PROFITS increase??

Laugh... 400 percent.

Okay.

2500 actives * 400% = 12,500 actives

Typical DM speech:

DM: Okay guys, we're going to be starting this new program called TOTAL ACCESS.
CSR: What's that mean?
DM: That's a GOOD question, I'm glad you asked, it's good to be in the zone about these things, because when you are informed, the customer benefits. Alright, we're going to be starting TOTAL ACCESS in about a week, so what I need you to do is, is increase profits.
CSR: Uh...
DM: I understand, I know what you're thinking, but we can DO THIS! Store traffic is going to increase 400%!
CSR: Won't we need more copies of movies then?
DM: That is another excellent question - customers DEMAND movies when they come in - and with online customers swapping movies and dropping them off and regulars wanting their same attention, it's going to be a lot of fun guys. Okay, let's get back to work!
CSR to other CSR: Wait, man, he didn't answer either of your questions.
CSR: Oh, crap, you're right.

brantheman
October 31st, 2006, 02:23 AM
Laugh... 400 percent.

Okay.

2500 actives * 400% = 12,500 actives

Typical DM speech:

DM: Okay guys, we're going to be starting this new program called TOTAL ACCESS.
CSR: What's that mean?
DM: That's a GOOD question, I'm glad you asked, it's good to be in the zone about these things, because when you are informed, the customer benefits. Alright, we're going to be starting TOTAL ACCESS in about a week, so what I need you to do is, is increase profits.
CSR: Uh...
DM: I understand, I know what you're thinking, but we can DO THIS! Store traffic is going to increase 400%!
CSR: Won't we need more copies of movies then?
DM: That is another excellent question - customers DEMAND movies when they come in - and with online customers swapping movies and dropping them off and regulars wanting their same attention, it's going to be a lot of fun guys. Okay, let's get back to work!
CSR to other CSR: Wait, man, he didn't answer either of your questions.
CSR: Oh, crap, you're right.

This made me chuckle.

It's funny because it's true.

CureForEmo
October 31st, 2006, 05:03 AM

Now I can't speak for the Colorado market where quadrupling your customers may be the norm, but here in Virginia it was more like a 4% to 5% increase so far. I just can't see (test store) with 3500 actives suddenly having, oh, I don't know....14,000 PEOPLE banging down the doors for a few movies. News crews would've heard about it.

In all seriousness it did increase traffic a bit, and it increased TNR thanks to the credits we get for coups/activations. Now as far as it increasing *real* profit, I just don't see how it possibly can. we're now committed to locations whose overhead costs we have no hopes of meeting once all our customers get their instores for free.

orbitdvd
October 31st, 2006, 05:32 AM
My DM has assured me that we WILL be getting more copies of everything, but we're at T-minus 2 days until launch and we haven't seen any increase.

I'm doubtful... you don't have DEG to fall back on anymore for 100 copies of a crappy movie.

marc

Antithesys
October 31st, 2006, 06:41 AM
I hate to curtail a bit of innocent corporate-bashing, but I don't see how Total Access worsens the copy depth problem. If you have 30,000 customers, 2,000 of which are online customers, and 80 copies of Cars, that's a problem. After Total Access, you still have 30,000 customers, 10,000 of which are online customers, and 80 copies of Cars. Still a problem, but it's not like Total Access is increasing your customer base. It's your own customers you're signing up, and they'd either come into your store to use the benefit or they don't. It's the same number of people looking for Cars, except a larger percentage of them will be getting it for free if they can get a copy.

compasshater
October 31st, 2006, 06:57 AM
I'm assuming when they say an increase of 400 %, it's not the number of members but the number of visits. Basically, the same customer is coming back 4 times more often.

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 31st, 2006, 06:59 AM
If you have 30,000 customers, 2,000 of which are online customers...after Total Access, you still have 30,000 customers, 10,000 of which are online customers,

Those numbers are pretty aggressive.

igniteice
October 31st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Those numbers are pretty aggressive.

Not really. My store had 2200 actives in summer and 3000-3200 actives in winter, but also had nearly 17,000 accounts on file.

OzMan
October 31st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I hate to curtail a bit of innocent corporate-bashing, but I don't see how Total Access worsens the copy depth problem. If you have 30,000 customers, 2,000 of which are online customers, and 80 copies of Cars, that's a problem. After Total Access, you still have 30,000 customers, 10,000 of which are online customers, and 80 copies of Cars. Still a problem, but it's not like Total Access is increasing your customer base. It's your own customers you're signing up, and they'd either come into your store to use the benefit or they don't. It's the same number of people looking for Cars, except a larger percentage of them will be getting it for free if they can get a copy.

Actually, you're doing MORE to bash corporate than any of us:D

Copy depth isn't really the problem (if you have a copy for EVERYONE when they want it, you're not going to get ANY turns on the movie).... it's PROFITS!!! And your example shows even less profits, because you are assuming the same amount of copies and the same amount of customers, meaning even less people will be paying for their rentals.

igniteice
October 31st, 2006, 04:09 PM
Actually, you're doing MORE to bash corporate than any of us:D

Copy depth isn't really the problem (if you have a copy for EVERYONE when they want it, you're not going to get ANY turns on the movie).... it's PROFITS!!! And your example shows even less profits, because you are assuming the same amount of copies and the same amount of customers, meaning even less people will be paying for their rentals.

Not to mention the fact that in the following scenario, the entire plan falls apart:

Regular paying customer comes in to rent movie.
Movie is all checked out. Why?
Because online customer came in and rented it five minutes earlier.
Blockbuster literally LOST money from THEMSELVES!

They don't lose money if online customer comes in and a movie is all rented out, but they do lose money when the paying customer goes to the competition because the store gave the last copy of hot new movie out to some online customer who brought in their online rentals.

Antithesys
October 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM

No, they just traded it all for some magic beans!

BlockbusterLuvsU
October 31st, 2006, 09:17 PM
Not really. My store had 2200 actives in summer and 3000-3200 actives in winter, but also had nearly 17,000 accounts on file.

No, I meant getting 8,000 online activations in the few weeks we would need a lot of copies of Cars. That's a pretty aggressive estimate...would make for a nice bonus though. :D

Not to mention the fact that in the following scenario, the entire plan falls apart:

Regular paying customer comes in to rent movie.
Movie is all checked out. Why?
Because online customer came in and rented it five minutes earlier.

They don't lose money if online customer comes in and a movie is all rented out, but they do lose money when the paying customer goes to the competition because the store gave the last copy of hot new movie out to some online customer who brought in their online rentals.

But our stock price will get a little bump!

At least until someone sues us because they didn't realize they had to return their free in-store rental, or because they didn't realize they couldn't trade their free in-store rental for another free in-store rental, or because they liked the 8-out plan and never wanted to come into the store.

CreepyNormal
October 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Ok, I was wrong. It wasn't 400 percent, it was 400 new customers per store.

My bad. >_<

OzMan
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Ok, I was wrong. It wasn't 400 percent, it was 400 new customers per store.

My bad. >_<

Shrub called. He'd like your help balancing the budget:D

Seriously, tho.... think about what the acquisition costs of those 400 "new" customers were (probably the same 400 that you convinced to switch to Online last month).

So, instead of getting these people to pay $4 per rental, OR signing them up for a $28 instore pass.... you first convinced them to spend $20 and never have to come to the store again...... BUT to get them back in the store, they get free rentals.

Does this sound right to you??

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Anyone else have their laptops yet? Ours is set up and ready to go, but there arent any site restrictions yet. I very badly wanted to come to IHBB today from work (the irony alone made me want to), but I'm afraid BB also stands for Big Brother so...yeah...i'm guessing they'll set restrictions later or something.

Oh, and....didn't know where else to post this....

A group of about 3 kiddo's (probably between 7 and 9 years old) in costumes came into my store tonight screaming "Trick or treat!!!111lolz!!!". The other shift leader I was working with felt terrible because we didn't have anything and almost considering buying a few bags of candy so we'd have something to give out. Well, I figured, thats dumb. So I gave them all a free trial on blockbuster online and told them to tell their mommy's that they can get 4 free rentals. They said, "COOL!!!!!" and left. I thought it was fucking great. She (the other manager) thought I was terrible for doing it. :D

CreepyNormal
November 1st, 2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I got my laptop. I got 7 people over to it today to start their trial membership, and all but 2 walked away because they didn't have/didn't want to give their credit card.

Striz
November 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM
We got our laptop too. Ours is complete with site restrictions and everything. it only lets you go to:

blockbuster online
blockbuster online - start your trial
netflix
cancel your netflix

it gives you zero room for messing with it. before it's booted, it's locked down. you can't even execute some MS-Dos code.

CreepyNormal
November 1st, 2006, 02:29 AM
Oh, and it's chained to the counter using a very flimsy plastic lock that could be broken in five seconds, the Sprint wireless card is sticking out of it completely unsecured, and it's stored behind the counter, totally unlocked, after closing.

In this neighborhood, it'll be stolen by Christmas, mark my words.

Antithesys
November 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM
it gives you zero room for messing with it.Except they screwed up the wireless activation, and sent us an email detailing how to go in and switch it on. In other words, they sent us (read: me) the admin password.

DAntiheroJ
November 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM
Oh, and it's chained to the counter using a very flimsy plastic lock that could be broken in five seconds, the Sprint wireless card is sticking out of it completely unsecured, and it's stored behind the counter, totally unlocked, after closing.

There should be sensor strips on the wireless card, and if one of those gets jacked it is easy enough to replace & find if it gets used. According to the updated procedures the laptop is to be locked in the cage or locking cabinet in the back after closing. I keep ours in the safe at night. The mistake was to make the combination on the lock something is easy to figure out. I can see an angry ex-employee going into another store, easily finding out the combination, grabbing the laptop and running.

rk237
November 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
A group of about 3 kiddo's (probably between 7 and 9 years old) in costumes came into my store tonight screaming "Trick or treat!!!111lolz!!!". The other shift leader I was working with felt terrible because we didn't have anything and almost considering buying a few bags of candy so we'd have something to give out. Well, I figured, thats dumb. So I gave them all a free trial on blockbuster online and told them to tell their mommy's that they can get 4 free rentals. They said, "COOL!!!!!" and left. I thought it was fucking great. She (the other manager) thought I was terrible for doing it. :D

That's fucking awesome! :D

whorehoppin
November 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
i also have the admin password for our laptop...its probably not a good idea for us to be posting this because now everyone will be fucking theirs up and looking at porn while at work...

yousickf'ingbastard
November 1st, 2006, 11:19 AM
i also have the admin password for our laptop...its probably not a good idea for us to be posting this because now everyone will be fucking theirs up and looking at porn while at work...

Do you really need a computer to look at porn while at work? :D

whorehoppin
November 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Do you really need a computer to look at porn while at work? :D

well yeah? what am i missing out on, does your store sell porn magazines?

the boy wonder uk
November 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM
No but the store next door does.

DAntiheroJ
November 1st, 2006, 12:26 PM

The company is not stupid, i am sure the admin settings will be changed and unaccessable once everybody is online.

Plus the software they are using will let them see any activity on the wireless card, and I am sure sprint/blockbuster will be keeping an eye on that.

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
The company is not stupid

o rly? :rolleyes:

yousickf'ingbastard
November 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
well yeah? what am i missing out on, does your store sell porn magazines?

B.Y.O.P

Bring Your Own Porn

zooworker
November 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM

I give ours 1 week............

Morbid Angel
November 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
After 2-day break, I came in today to discover the laptop on the counter and all set up. I didn't have much time to fuck around with it, but a couple of things struck as me particulary idiotic about it. For one, they allow full access to the Netflix site, so theoretically someone could sign up for a Netflix account in our store! Logic says only the Netflix cancellation page should be available, but then again this is Blockbuster. :mad: Also, there's no way to fully access the BBO site without having an account to login with, so you can't use the BBO search engine to look up movies by actor/director. Yet you can use the search engine at Netflix! Go figure.. :rolleyes:

And they seriously need to make IMDB accessible.

zooworker
November 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
After 2-day break, I came in today to discover the laptop on the counter and all set up. I didn't have much time to fuck around with it, but a couple of things struck as me particulary idiotic about it. For one, they allow full access to the Netflix site, so theoretically someone could sign up for a Netflix account in our store! Logic says only the Netflix cancellation page should be available, but then again this is Blockbuster. :mad: Also, there's no way to fully access the BBO site without having an account to login with, so you can't use the BBO search engine to look up movies by actor/director. Yet you can use the search engine at Netflix! Go figure.. :rolleyes:

And they seriously need to make IMDB accessible.
We didn't have a problem with this, click on favorites and access the Blosckbuster online instead of the sign up page.

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Stopped by my store a couple of hours ago to get a movie. Was set up and ready to go. Still completely unrestricted.

Woodstock
November 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM

You could put it in the safe, or in a locked room. I would also recommend putting the laptop on camera, and keeping it close to the counter as possible. Make sure your CCTV is working.

whorehoppin
November 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
you should be able to use the BBO website for researching movies w/out logging in to any user account - i've been looking up movies every day on there at the store - its actually a great tool to have...customer comes in asking for a certain title - you don't have it - look it up online and see what exactly it is and who's in it, what's the release date if its not out yet and you can also click on "check my store" and it will just ask for a ZIP - put that in and it will give a list of all of the stores nearby and next to the store location it will say "This title is available at this store" or "Not available at this store"

so then you can call the store that says they have it and verify that and the customer is happy, or else they can sign up right there for BBO and put that movie in their queue.

if your laptop is unrestricted the someone must be logging on as Admin - if you're logged in as you should be, you can't even minimize the internet explorer window or see the taskbar.

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
you should be able to use the BBO website for researching movies w/out logging in to any user account - i've been looking up movies every day on there at the store - its actually a great tool to have...customer comes in asking for a certain title - you don't have it - look it up online and see what exactly it is and who's in it, what's the release date if its not out yet and you can also click on "check my store" and it will just ask for a ZIP - put that in and it will give a list of all of the stores nearby and next to the store location it will say "This title is available at this store" or "Not available at this store"

so then you can call the store that says they have it and verify that and the customer is happy, or else they can sign up right there for BBO and put that movie in their queue.

if your laptop is unrestricted the someone must be logging on as Admin - if you're logged in as you should be, you can't even minimize the internet explorer window or see the taskbar.

I just tried that out. That's pretty fucking sweet. That'll help out a lot, especially if we need to know if other stores have it and not having to call every damn store in the area.

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Took a screenshot for those too lazy to check it out. I did a search for "Drop Dead Fred" at stores in my area (two sister stores), knowing good and well that my store doesn't carry it. I'm the top store, of course.

http://www.garbageisbeautiful.com/junk/totalbb.jpg

AbandonedDreams
November 1st, 2006, 10:13 PM
How? What internet connection are you using?

Sorry I'm so late with the reply...I used to take my laptop with me, and the resturant next door had a wireless connection. :D

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry I'm so late with the reply...I used to take my laptop with me, and the resturant next door had a wireless connection. :D

Ahhhhh.

My apartment is across the street from the local community college. That's the internet i'm using right now. :D

AbandonedDreams
November 1st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Ahhhhh.

My apartment is across the street from the local community college. That's the internet i'm using right now. :D

Lucky! I live on campus (which is very small to begin with) and I don't get wireless except for like 3 buildings. Its a pain having to carry an internet cord with you to class!

AbandonedDreams
November 1st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Took a screenshot for those too lazy to check it out. I did a search for "Drop Dead Fred" at stores in my area (two sister stores), knowing good and well that my store doesn't carry it. I'm the top store, of course.

http://www.garbageisbeautiful.com/junk/totalbb.jpg

That is my favorite movie from when I was a kid! :D :cool:

Antithesys
November 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Be careful with that store search thing...obviously, call the store when you find one. I've lost count of the number of times customers ask for a title, we don't carry it, and they reply "but the website said you did."

sar94pga
November 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Be careful with that store search thing...obviously, call the store when you find one. I've lost count of the number of times customers ask for a title, we don't carry it, and they reply "but the website said you did."

i had that today actually....

brantheman
November 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM
With all this new innovation BB seems to be bringing into our stores, i'd really like to see them bring in a phone-answering system.

Thanks for calling your local Blockbuster store!

For directions to the store furthest from you, press 1.

For customer complaints, concerns, information about your account or due dates, please hang up.