PDA

View Full Version : What? They're changing the wall AGAIN? And they're changing it back to... (UK)

MissHailstorm
October 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM
... how it used to be?!

Can someone please confirm. I heard we're going back to an 'alphabetical wall' as of a week Monday (6th Nov). Does this mean it's going back to how it was for Project Store, ie. chart titles mixed in with everything else, noted by a plug-in?

If so, I'm a bit annoyed. I know we were having problems with displaying because of varying copy depth, but I personally think the way we have it now works well, especially the recent releases. Stuff always seems to go out if it's in there, even if it's really crappy looking. Who'll notice just another shitty horror film when it's put straight into A-Z? Or will we be using wanky 'New' stickers, or something?

Well, whatever the case may be, I'm not too confident about extra hours for this or anything. Can anyone tell me anything specific?

Cheers. :(

SavageUK
October 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
You must've been kept in the dark by someone. I've known we're scrapping the chart wall for a while now. When I heard it I was pissed (not drunk)... but then I was kinda persuaded. It seems a lot of people in our store rush to the chart wall then come to the counter, completely missing the fact we have a huge wall of other great titles they could be renting.

But I agree with you that I think it DOES work better this way, and I don't understand why they think they should go back to how it was before. In my head it's like this.... they saw a problem with the previous way, went to the chart wall which in my opinion looks/works quite well, now they're reverting back.

We may still have a recent releases bay, I didn't hear about them scrapping that, just the chart wall. So maybe these new unheard of titles will stay in one location so they'll get a couple of weeks to rent well before they're thrown into the Oblivion of the wall.

MissHailstorm
October 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM
You must've been kept in the dark by someone. I've known we're scrapping the chart wall for a while now. When I heard it I was pissed (not drunk)... but then I was kinda persuaded. It seems a lot of people in our store rush to the chart wall then come to the counter, completely missing the fact we have a huge wall of other great titles they could be renting.

But I agree with you that I think it DOES work better this way, and I don't understand why they think they should go back to how it was before. In my head it's like this.... they saw a problem with the previous way, went to the chart wall which in my opinion looks/works quite well, now they're reverting back.

We may still have a recent releases bay, I didn't hear about them scrapping that, just the chart wall. So maybe these new unheard of titles will stay in one location so they'll get a couple of weeks to rent well before they're thrown into the Oblivion of the wall.

I'd be surprised if they were scrapping the recent releases bay, since that actually works in their favour. I have to say I've seen little evidence that having a chart means no-one is interested in the A-Z. On the contrary, I find most people browse the chart, take one from there, then head to the A-Z for a second one. I've worked through 3 different wall set-ups during my time, and the full A-Z one was the one customers received the most poorly.

Remember that the chart works both ways. Yes, people flock to the chart assuming only the best ones are there. Which also means you can put some shitty film in there and it'll rent because people will assume it's good (rather than hiding it in the A-Z to blend in with all the other shit).

Oh, well, I'm just pissed off at how many times they've changed the wall since the re-merch last September... October...? Well, it's only been about a year, and it started at a top 10. They changed the chart display before they even did most of the re-merchandising. Then it became a top 15... then top 20. Both quietly slipped into the rental chart e-mails, without any extra hours or warning.

The only reason we heard about it was because it was on the DM communication, but there was no mention of the logistics of it... just that it was going "alphabetical" and to "be prepared". :rolleyes:

the boy wonder uk
October 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM
This is news to me. Are you sure its not just a trial?

Some stores have trialled a top 40 recently among other things and they have shown a big percentage pivk-up so I cant see how or why they would scrap the chart. Added to this is the fact that we have sold the sponsership of our chart to Malteasers so I cant see us breaking that contract.

Miss H PM me your source. If its the usual idiot tho I bet He's wrong.

MissHailstorm
October 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I suppose HMV, Virgin, Tesco, etc, etc, all have it wrong too with a chart and then A-Z section. :rolleyes:

I must be slightly thick, but I thought it was most important to promote the chart, and the most recently released titles. We all know customers are stupid, but they're not stupid enough to spend all their time at the chart. They may head there first, and browse the films, but they will still look in the A-Z section. The only conclusions the chart draws is that "it must be good".

If customers only stop at the chart, then A-Z won't make much difference. They'll stop at the the first half of the wall, when they've found a film they wanted, and didn't notice the 100 copies of Mission Impossible 3 further down.

Aphrodite
October 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
My store is trialing the 100% A-Z wall. No chart. No 1st week NR sect. Just alpha as far as the eye can see :p

You can tell I love it cant you? ;)

the boy wonder uk
October 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM
wow bet it looks good......

TED
October 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Just live with it, in 11 years ive seen more changes to the wall than ozman has Posts :eek:

:D:D:D

whorehoppin
October 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
sounds like US stores...everything is alpha with the newest releases toward the top of the wall, we have little things that say "New This Week" that go on the shelf in front of the smaller titles. We have a small "Kids New Release" section that has all the little kids crap like Spongebob/Scooby Doo/Dora. We also have a TV section that has all the new release TV shows grouped together.

we also sometimes have a section for special things like right now we have a bay on the wall for horror movies (older ones, not new releases), next month we'll have Christmas movies there.

MissHailstorm
October 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM
My store is trialing the 100% A-Z wall. No chart. No 1st week NR sect. Just alpha as far as the eye can see :p

You can tell I love it cant you? ;)

Are you trialling it now, or will you be starting the trial next week? :confused:

I don't see why it needs trialling anyhow... have they forgotten it was set-up like this in every store only 13 months ago? :eek:

the boy wonder uk
October 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM
yeah bet they have

SavageUK
October 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
yeah bet they have
They'd probably claim "It's a different 'climate' now, all that previous 'trialing' is not applicable now".

the boy wonder uk
October 28th, 2006, 04:08 AM
"our demographic has considerably changed"

FSDU
October 28th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Yes, I recently had a visit from the RDO who confirmed this to be the case!

MissHailstorm
October 28th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Oh, FFS.

Any ideas how long this trial will last? Over Xmas or will it finish before (which would be helpful :rolleyes: )?

Do we need to note down how many confused customers ask where "number 1" is? :mad:

the boy wonder uk
October 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
"up my arse sir"

FSDU
October 29th, 2006, 10:00 AM
The whole wall will be A - Z from start to finish. And heres the bombshell! Back to ONE night rental! forever ( or untill they think of another way). This is so we can offer the customer the 'fantastict' (not) propersition of rent 1 movie for £3.XX for 1 night, or rent 2 movies for £6.00 for two nights!

MissHailstorm
October 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
The whole wall will be A - Z from start to finish. And heres the bombshell! Back to ONE night rental! forever ( or untill they think of another way). This is so we can offer the customer the 'fantastict' (not) propersition of rent 1 movie for 3.XX for 1 night, or rent 2 movies for 6.00 for two nights!

Why haven't I heard ANYTHING about this? :confused: Our team briefing that we were supposed to have last week keeps getting pushed back. I suppose we're gonna find out the day before it starts now. :rolleyes:

the boy wonder uk
October 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM
the idea is good as it encourages multi renting

MissHailstorm
October 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
the idea is good as it encourages multi renting

Sounds more like they're forcing them, but let's drag this over to the new promo thread I made. :)

the boy wonder uk
October 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
k...............:)

Adornedatom
October 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Just to be clear on this. If a staff member rents 2 films together willthey still get them for 2 nights? I know people already discussed the 1 night rentals, butI don't recall an answer. Renting an extra film that I don't really want to watch and halving my free rental quota would be annoying, but far preferable to renting films for one night and always paying for them through late fees.

MissHailstorm
November 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM
So how did everyone's wall changing go? :)

I worked on it with my SM, and it took around 4 hours in all. I thought the guide was wholly unhelpful, though.

Does anyone know the rules we need to stick to? From what I read of the guide, it seemed less toward blocking the heavier copy-depth titles to the top and bottom, with single-titles in the middle, since, as everything is A-Z, there's going to be more heavy copy-depth. Which means it'll be acceptable to have those toward the middle.

The examples I found to be rather unhelpful in the sense that they represented this wonderful utopia, where there are no single-faced titles, and everything is on at least 3 facings. Not helpful.

I notice we can now do shelves and "blocks", but are there any rules of thumb? I couldn't really come up with a system, but I wanted to be consistent. I've tried to avoid full shelves of anything, unless it's a full drop.

I also got the feeling that single-faced titles were more to be placed alphabetically, rather than in the middle, but again, nothing really explained it. So I do have single-faced titles on the tops and bottoms of shelves, though I've tried to avoid it where possible. Any ideas what the official line is? I could double-face everything, but I don't like doing that.

Things I'm going to HATE about this:
-"What's new out?"
-"What's in the chart?"
-"Where's this/that/the other?" On the wall, it's all alphabetical "I can't find it!"

And, finally, those knobbing shelf-talkers. Please. Those will never get changed. Oh, and the fact they've planned out the chart for the next several weeks. We used to have issues where films were being pushed back, even though the chart had been done a week in advance. How many similar issues will we encounter here? We were also told to use our "old" A4 holders for the charts from project-store era. Yeah, 'cause we kept those... :rolleyes:

the boy wonder uk
November 8th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Love my wall now (apart from no chart) the way Ive done it makes it look v good and also means that it should gt "shopped more".

Didnt even look at the guide as they are usually written by someone who has not even seen a store before.

In short all my single and a few double titles are in alpha across the top shelf all around the wall.
Then medium size titles in blocks of 4 are on the next 2 shelves.

And finally in blocks of 8 on the bottom four shelves are all the bigger titles .

this gives good facings of the more wanted films and also means that the 4th shelf up is the lowest shop point for a customer (no-one ever rents single titles from the bottom shelf)

Not only do my customers like this but so do my staff, and from the rental figures so do I.

MissHailstorm
November 8th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Hmm... I found that kind of approach to not really be possible. I mean, one bay, you could have, alphabetically, 4-5 very heavy copy-depth titles, but the next bay could be predominantly single-faced titles. I don't see how you could have the perfect set-up from bay-to-bay, without having 'F' single-faced titles on the same bay as 'C' chart titles (for example)...:confused:

Any chance of some pictures, or artists impressions? PM if you like.

the boy wonder uk
November 8th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Each section is alpha but does not mean the the lot as a whole is alpha.

On the top row of bay 1 the alpa runs from numbers to c but the bottom shelves just have A on them.

does that make sense?

MissHailstorm
November 8th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Each section is alpha but does not mean the the lot as a whole is alpha.

On the top row of bay 1 the alpa runs from numbers to c but the bottom shelves just have A on them.

does that make sense?

Yes it does... but surely that can't work on every bay, since you'll, for one, run out of single-faced titles? Or you'll have to start making an entire bay of chart titles, say? I've never found the wall to be black-and-white like that.

The one time I trialled this notion was when we had exactly 20 bays of DVDs, I started doing the chart alphabetically, with one chart title per bay. This resulted in 'Fight of the Phoenix' under 'B' during one week. It looked awful, I have to say. And both the customers and the staff had trouble finding things.