PDA

View Full Version : For the customers that complain

Woodstock
November 29th, 2006, 10:43 AM
For the customers that complain about restocking fee's/late fee's - be glad that this didn't happen to you!!

Pair Claim They Got 'Sauced' Over Camera
By BETSY TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer
Mon Nov 27, 8:50 PM

ST. LOUIS - The Rittenbergs planned to shoot family movies with a new camcorder. They may have to settle for a family pasta dinner, instead. The couple paid about $1,600 for a camcorder at a Best Buy store in the St. Louis suburb of Ellisville last week. They said when they opened the box, they found something they hadn't pictured: a jar of Classico pasta sauce where the camera should have been.

"The only thing I thought was, 'you've got to be kidding me,'" Melisa Rittenberg, 36, of the southeast Missouri town Perryville, said.

Also inside the box was a telephone cord and an electric outlet cover, all positioned in the box where the camera equipment should have been. So far, they're stuck with the spicy red pepper sauce, though a Best Buy manager said the company is working to resolve the matter.

Here's the couple's side of the story: Rittenberg and her husband, Jim, 37, bought a camcorder for about $600 on Nov. 19 at a Best Buy in Cape Girardeau, about 115 miles south of St. Louis.

They wanted a camera with better picture quality, so Jim decided to exchange it for the more expensive Sony camcorder. Because they were going to visit relatives for Thanksgiving, Jim made the exchange at the Best Buy store in Ellisville on Wednesday.

When he opened the box at his parents' home, he found the jar of pasta sauce which weighs about as much as the electronic equipment, but no camcorder, Melisa Rittenberg said.

When the couple tried to return it, they were told by Best Buy that the box had been sealed, so the swap couldn't have happened at the store.

"We are not thieves," said Melisa Rittenberg, a school district speech pathologist. The couple filed a police report, and Ellisville police are investigating. The Rittenbergs have not heard back from Best Buy or Sony concerning if they will receive a replacement camera or reimbursement.

The Best Buy general manager in Ellisville, Wade Trapp, said a decision on how to resolve the problem has not been determined.

San Diego-based Sony Electronics Inc. said it had a record of the incident. The company said it had not fielded any other complaints about pasta sauce being discovered in place of cameras.

Meanwhile, the Rittenbergs have what amounts to a $1,600 jar of pasta sauce. Melisa Rittenberg advised customers to check inside the box before leaving stores.

"You take it out of the store, and it's yours," she said. "It could be an empty box. It could have a jar of sauce in it, like ours."

HardcoreKeith
November 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Fucking scam artists.

rk237
November 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Fucking scam artists.

Quoted for truth.

c:nt
November 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM
This happened in my district.
Person bought a PS2 and found some member of staff had replaced the console with something else.

MissHailstorm
November 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
This happened in my district.
Person bought a PS2 and found some member of staff had replaced the console with something else.

What, a Master System? :D

zooworker
November 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Having been in the electronics business for many years before. It is easy for employees or the shipper to get into a box and reseal it. Sales people don't look at the seals , all they want is the commission and customers don't know how to tell the difference. I have had stores try and burn me with used equipment before.

rk237
November 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Sony came through.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15940748/

Weighing the costs: Bad press or the price of a camcorder. Might as well send the cam and end the situation -- meanwhile improve methods to prevent this kind of thing from recurring (by customer fraud or internal theft, whatever the real culprit is).

HardcoreKeith
November 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Watch them try to bring in the "replacement" camera for a refund.

zooworker
November 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yep, probably so..in fact Katrina victims that got from charity, a free house and are selling them and pocketing the money.

yousickf'ingbastard
November 29th, 2006, 09:08 PM
So if I buy a bottle of Ragu and a digital camera, I can trick the company to giving me another camera free by switching? Well call me goofy and slap me crazy! I could've have a gabillion cameras with that idea! :rolleyes:

orbitdvd
November 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Or, when you find a finger, throw it into a bowl of chili.

marc

Propoxy
November 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Or, when you find a finger, throw it into a bowl of chili.

Just try not to confuse the two.

I don't think you could sue for spaghetti sauce in chili. Although you can apparently sue if guacamole dip is less than 2% avacado.

ldydeath1977
November 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
the sad thing is that it was probably an employee that was pissed off. most back rooms or loading trucks don't have cameras, and that woulld be the perfect place to switch it.

Chrisedge
November 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I would bet that it was a "sealed box" return, that some employee didn't check too carefully. You can open the bottom of the box without unsealing the top, switch it out, and return it. New customer buys it, and gets "blamed". Happened to me as a manager, in my retail job, customer did it with a desktop computer. "Bricks in a box" He re-glued the bottom of the box, and returned it "sealed"

I bet this customer was just the victim.

AbandonedDreams
November 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
seriously? this thread was dead for two years....

brucedx
November 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm quite amazed it was revived, temporarily.

orbitdvd
November 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm quite amazed it was revived, temporarily.

I'm surprised that I said something that clever two years ago...