PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn.

CreepyNormal
January 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Ok.

Apparently Blockbuster has finally realized that giving online customers three free rentals a week is costing them money.

So... we now have a display of popcorn on the front counter. We have to convince every online customer who comes into the store to buy some. We've been given a little check sheet, and have to keep track of how much popcorn, soda, and PRP we sell to online customers.

If we don't convince online customers to spend an average of $2.14, we get written up and/or fired. Honestly, our SM and DL have both had their jobs threatened. Over popcorn.

And it's hard as goddamn hell to sell that overpriced crap. Especially in my terribly-low-income neighborhood where less than half of my customers even speak English. Lots of our online customers don't even bring any money into the store.

Our DL has instructed us on how to cheat the system to make numbers look better. Such as leaving people's accounts up on the computer after exchanging and then having employees make their purchases after they leave.

I'm wondering... is this just corporate greed? Or is Blockbuster honestly relying on popcorn to keep them in business.

OzMan
January 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM
I'm wondering... is this just corporate greed? Or is Blockbuster honestly relying on popcorn to keep them in business.

What do you think?? Simply by asking that question, you seem to get what some of us have been saying all along.

And the "make employee purchases on TA accounts" almost sounds like a veiled way of saying "if you don't make the sale, you better buy this crap yourselves"

IVR
January 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
And it's hard as goddamn hell to sell that overpriced crap. Especially in my terribly-low-income neighborhood where less than half of my customers even speak English. Lots of our online customers don't even bring any money into the store.

Our DL has instructed us on how to cheat the system to make numbers look better. Such as leaving people's accounts up on the computer after exchanging and then having employees make their purchases after they leave.

LOL...many years ago I worked for Mobil managing gas stations...I found it easier to sell "overpriced crap" to those in "low income neighborhoods"...the more effluent neighborhood customers have the math skills to figure out the crap is overpriced.:rolleyes:

I would think that your DL instructing you on how to cheat the system must violate BlockBuster policy. Even if it does NOT it creates a hostile work environment when your popcorn sales don't equal the cheating store down the road.:)

But don't worry about BlockBuster relying on popcorn to keep them in business...the movie theatres have done that for years!:cool:

johnlow71
January 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
hmmm interesting:)

whorehoppin
January 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
how about this: if someone comes in to buy some PRP or popcorn/candy and they're not renting - bring up one of the TA member accounts and ring them up.

my store also has the popcorn baskets but we haven't been threatened at all - we're just told to offer it to everyone and we do - our popcorn sales are right at the top in our district every week - our confection number is usually in the top 3 in our district so we don't have to worry - and it seems that the poorer customers buy more crap than the rich customers who always say, "I got a huge box of it from Costco for only $3."

MissHailstorm
January 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
All these methods to avoid DPing are all well and good, but it's not gonna have the overall desired affect, is it? Well, as far as corporate is concerned, not store level, or even DM level, by the sounds of things. :eek:

Just goes to show what a horrible thing threatening someone's job is, it just forces them to cheat the system. And then corporate are going to wonder why, despite selling popcorn on those accounts, TNR is still not looking any healthier.

Sorry, but this all sounds very stupid. You'd be better off targeting the paying customers with add-on deals (which we're s'posed to be doing anyways, innit), since they're more likely to part with a couple of extra $$$ on top of their bill, than some freebie-chasing, no-money-spending pain-in-the-rear-end. :)

Lomithrandel
January 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
how about this: if someone comes in to buy some PRP or popcorn/candy and they're not renting - bring up one of the TA member accounts and ring them up.

my store also has the popcorn baskets but we haven't been threatened at all - we're just told to offer it to everyone and we do - our popcorn sales are right at the top in our district every week - our confection number is usually in the top 3 in our district so we don't have to worry - and it seems that the poorer customers buy more crap than the rich customers who always say, "I got a huge box of it from Costco for only $3."
the more money you make, the more frugal you become

this is how rich people get rich, and stay rich

zooworker
January 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM

I believe you have to make the sale the same time you do the exchanges for it to count.

Propoxy
January 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I believe you have to make the sale the same time you do the exchanges for it to count.
Yep.

We're trying a trick at my store, but I don't think it's working. We showed 80% no add-on yesterday. :mad:

I didn't think we were allowed to use someone else's account without their permission, even just for a purchase. That could get a store into a lot of trouble, couldn't it? Even more trouble than not upselling.

Not to mention that having employees buy their items on TA no sale accounts deprives them of their discount.

CreepyNormal
January 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Not to mention that having employees buy their items on TA no sale accounts deprives them of their discount.

Yeah, that was our main complaint.

The SM has rectified this by paying us the difference out of her pocket.

DAntiheroJ
January 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Ok.

I must be missing something:

Do your TA customers not want receipts? I understand pass people not wanting them, but with TA there is stil a due date that is printed on the receipt.

And how much confection are the employees at your store buying? I don't think that one soda per employee would make that much of a difference with how many exchanges happen each day.

And what do the next customers in line think when you tell them they have to wait so you can ring up your purchases before clearing the last person's account and bringing up theirs?

Next thing you know your sm or dl will be telling you to just buy the TA customers a bag of popcorn just to up the transaction numbers.....

CureForEmo
January 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'm waiting to hear it come down that somebody's dl is making them sell the gumballs one at a time as each TA cust checks out, just to get the no spend percent down to 0%. granted it'll kill the average $$$ amount, but since the company goal's 60% or better no spend...

sar94pga
January 10th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm waiting to hear it come down that somebody's dl is making them sell the gumballs one at a time as each TA cust checks out, just to get the no spend percent down to 0%. granted it'll kill the average $$$ amount, but since the company goal's 60% or better no spend...

hahaha, havent heard that one come down yet. but someone has a retard of a DM, and tomorrow is a whole new day. My dm would just assume set our stores on fire before telling us to cheat.

Lomithrandel
January 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
We sell about a box of single packets of popcorn every day, it's the most popular candy item we sell :p.

whorehoppin
January 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM

I totally thought of that today - I was at work and started thinking about this thread and the gumball idea came to mind.

we had a report today showing our district's numbers for the TA no-sales and one store was at 100% no-sales. My store had 4 TA customers buy something and everyone else was near 100%. I knew right away that 3 of those 4 were customers that I rang up in one shift. (the report was for Mon-Tues)

CreepyNormal
January 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Next thing you know your sm or dl will be telling you to just buy the TA customers a bag of popcorn just to up the transaction numbers.....

No... but if someone turns in an online mailer without exchanging it, he's told us to hold onto it and offer that guy who's buying 4/$20 PRP a "free rental..." :rolleyes:

zooworker
January 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
No... but if someone turns in an online mailer without exchanging it, he's told us to hold onto it and offer that guy who's buying 4/$20 PRP a "free rental..." :rolleyes:
Like someone is going to put out $20 bucks and get a free rental when he could have had one anyway. They know the drill, just some aren't interested in more movies.

MissHailstorm
January 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Huh? What's the average $$$ amount without selling a gumball per TA customer? I'd have thought the free rental = 1 sale @ $0.00. Surely just a penny would be worth it? :confused:

A free rental on someone else's account? Brilliant. :rolleyes:

The longer the cheating goes on, the longer they'll continue this farce, thinking it'll work when people are doing it properly. Like I said before, the people who should be targeting for spending extra money are those who actually spend some in the first place.

AtlanticVamp
January 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
We sell about a box of single packets of popcorn every day, it's the most popular candy item we sell :p.

Just a question: is popcorn indeed candy? :D Kidding, kidding...I totally understand.

DraconianSM
January 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM
There is a report that shows when stores are selling gumballs, and how many. Won't it be cool when the cheating stores out there show up as selling $1.25 in gumballs EVERY DAY. Hmmmm.....

The best way to make your budget is to get people to activate TA in the first place. Even if they "no spend" when they rent, you got $40 from the activation and another $1.50 from all those TA exchanges.

Yes, you should try to upsell, but cheating will only get you fired. Hiring your replacement will cost the company a lot more.

whorehoppin
January 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
here's a though...if you have a lot of customers returning their mailers and not wanting a free rental, just hold onto those mailers until you get some angry asshole that is demanding a free rental because his copy of "Attack Force" had a piece of hair on it - so you just saved yourself a credit and didn't have to argue with the guy.

zooworker
January 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM
here's a though...if you have a lot of customers returning their mailers and not wanting a free rental, just hold onto those mailers until you get some angry asshole that is demanding a free rental because his copy of "Attack Force" had a piece of hair on it - so you just saved yourself a credit and didn't have to argue with the guy.
Why is everyone trying to beat the system?:rolleyes:

DraconianSM
January 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM

How long do hold on to the angry asshole's mailer before he stomps in to complain about the next movie in his que not being released?

AlterEgo
January 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM
We've had those program sales checklists for weeks now. My store is doing quite well, since it appears plenty of our online customers want to rent more than 3 movies at a time.

It isn't hard to upsell though, and its a new question on mystery shops, so just add in a "you want a coke or some popcorn with that?" If the customer hesitates then hit them with the sale of the day "2 for $2 cokes, 2 for $1.49 popcorn", whatever the sale may be and you'll get sales enough to earn praise in your district.

Hell, if you're on good enough terms with your regulars, I've found simply explaining that your bosses are jumping on you about these sales during your daily smalltalk can earn constant upsells out of pity/believed friendship (not that I care to associate with these losers outside of work).

This same customer interaction (has to be done carefully, if you can't pick out a target and not worry about them complaining to your dl then don't bother) also works fine for turning any sales into "hey, you mind buying a giftcard then turning around and buying this stuff with it? These damn bosses of mine are on my back about giftcard sales..." during giftcard sales competitions. All comes down to rapport with the customer. If you got it, use it.

DAntiheroJ
January 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I came so close to the begging and pleading method yesterday. Couldn't bring myself to take it there. It is about the only thing I haven't tried at this point.

CapitalRadioTwo
January 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
This is odd, we haven't started the popcorn push at our store yet. Our district is now forcing us to sell both Online and Rewards to each customer, and inform the DM of numbers when we call him with results. And Rewards Renewals do not count, only brand new rewards customers.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, you are getting the 10 bucks either way.

CreepyNormal
January 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I came so close to the begging and pleading method yesterday. Couldn't bring myself to take it there. It is about the only thing I haven't tried at this point.

My SM yesterday: "Please, isn't there anything you want to buy? We have to make our numbers look good."

And yesterday, I asked *every* Online customer that came in if they wanted 2/$1.50 popcorn or 2/$2 soda. Not a single one bought ANYTHING.

I've been told by my DL to use the line, "Are you sure? You're going to get about halfway through the movie and you're going to be hungry/thirsty."

To which the response is ALWAYS: "I already have popcorn/soda at home."

MissHailstorm
January 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
My SM yesterday: "Please, isn't there anything you want to buy? We have to make our numbers look good."

And yesterday, I asked *every* Online customer that came in if they wanted 2/$1.50 popcorn or 2/$2 soda. Not a single one bought ANYTHING.

I've been told by my DL to use the line, "Are you sure? You're going to get about halfway through the movie and you're going to be hungry/thirsty."

To which the response is ALWAYS: "I already have popcorn/soda at home."

Running offers from cold, and you got maybe 1-4 take-ups a day, depending on which day. But I always said to the other CSRs, if there's 5-6 of us working, that could be up to another 20 we wouldn't have done.

I don't know what you're expected to achieve, though. I'm talking about bundles, where often getting over 10 on a week day was a good score.

I don't think you should be measured from how many people buy confectionery that are TA customers... I think it should be a general confectionery push. You're more likely to get paying customers to buy it, and the hard work that goes in there should not go unrewarded.

Adornedatom
January 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I think it should be a general confectionery push. You're more likely to get paying customers to buy it, and the hard work that goes in there should not go unrewarded.I think the problem is that BBUS have been promising stores all along that "It's OK to give out free rentals because the customers will buy some additional confec to go with them. Exactly the same way they were with us over those free Sun DVDs, only this time they are actually spending money getting these freeloaders into the store. So now, instead of just canning the promotion as we could BBUS is trying to make back the money they've lost through getting EVERY TA customer a 2 for $2 (just £1 for 2 bags of popcorn :eek: ) and if just one customer decides not to you better believe someone's getting fired.

I dunno though, your approach seems better to me too, but then, in the UK we can sell our popcorn at $3 a bag without any problems, so what do we really know about all this?;)

MS_Sacrifice
January 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM
The best way to make your budget is to get people to activate TA in the first place. Even if they "no spend" when they rent, you got $40 from the activation and another $1.50 from all those TA exchanges.

Only until the end of P1. As rumor has it, anyway...

OzMan
January 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I think the problem is that BBUS have been promising stores all along that "It's OK to give out free rentals because the customers will buy some additional confec to go with them.

It's not the stores they've been promising it to, it's the investors.

Evidently, it's THAT easy to bullshit people with MBAs;)

SL_600
January 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It's not the stores they've been promising it to, it's the investors.

Evidently, it's THAT easy to bullshit people with MBAs;)It's all in the presentation. ;)

secretsquirrell
January 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
It's all in the presentation. ;)

we always make popcorn and shit and eat it in the front-- it raises confection sales like you wouldnt believe-- and, if you keep it a few degrees warmer in your store, people are more likely to buy a drink.

DAntiheroJ
January 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
we always make popcorn and shit and eat it in the front-- it raises confection sales like you wouldnt believe-- and, if you keep it a few degrees warmer in your store, people are more likely to buy a drink.

And I'm more likely to be hot and miserable. I work too hard to be hot just to sell sodas. Never know though, could be the next tactic from corporate.. "Stores must be kept above 85 degrees....."

Aphrodite
January 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hey! Dont give them ideas ;)

SL_600
January 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Just curious. Why did you quote me when your comment had nothing to do with my comment? :confused: I was expounding on Oz's musing of how easy it is to fool seemingly intelligent, educated people. Where did the popcorn and soda come from?

zooworker
January 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Eating popcorn and SHIT wouldn't seem to raise sales much. The mixture must really cause bad breath.

secretsquirrell
January 16th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Just curious. Why did you quote me when your comment had nothing to do with my comment? :confused: I was expounding on Oz's musing of how easy it is to fool seemingly intelligent, educated people. Where did the popcorn and soda come from?

i'm new to the forum and didn't know how to post without quoting someone-- but i've figured it out-- basically, i used you.
You know, it actually looks like shit in your popcorn when you add those Sno-Caps while the corn's still hot... yet, Nestle still promotes it as a "mix-in" on its packaging...:rolleyes:

that sounds revolting- I'm picturing a fat, gooey little kid with dried snot and melted chocolate all over their face and hands... (gag)