PDA

View Full Version : UK | Choices Take Over?

c:nt
July 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Before I start, this may lead to be the biggest lie of the year. When I first heard it about 2 weeks ago I dismissed it as nonsense, however I just heard it again yesterday from a different source in a different company.

The story goes that while being very hush hush, Tesco have been looking at a takeover for Choices UK retail business - not to become a Tesco video store, but to become a Tesco express store (not sure if store will have rental or retail video)

First heard it from a Tesco manager who said one of their best express managers had been lined up for a possible takeover store, to take charge of a newly refitted choices outlet. (hush hush, but people talk!)
Then I heard it from my district manager yesterday, saying he had heard that a major video rental chain may be in the process of being bought by a major supermarket.

Looked for news on the internet but cant find anything......time will tell.

MissHailstorm
July 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM
:D

When I first read the title, I thought you were gonna say Blockbuster were trying to take over Choices! I was gonna nay-say that!!

As for Tesco... hmm... weren't they "interested" in buying us at one point, then backed off? I can't see why Choices would be of anymore interest. What do you think they want it for? I thought the whole point of Tesco selling electronics/hardware/software was so that it tempted people to buy things they made profit on. Having a store designed solely for selling these kinds of goods at Tesco prices wouldn't make much money, surely?

As for finding news... not that surprising. There was hardly anything about it when Tesco were interested in Blockbuster.

Intriguing, though... I wonder if poor ol' Choices will actually find anyone to buy them. :(

July 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
No, sorry I should be stated.

As far as I was aware Tesco were after property locations in the high street for Tesco style stores.
Think less hardware and games, more bread and milk!

independent
July 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I believe that the deal with Tesco last time fell through because the leases on most of the stores were too expensive but perhaps if bb have accepted a much reduced price to reflect the cost of takeover it could be back on.There is no way Tesco would be interested in a rental business but as sites for more Express stores it might.On balance i think this rumour is just rumour

MissHailstorm
July 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Oh, okay I was gonna say...

Yes, it wouldn't be of any surprise if Tesco were after the land. They want stores anywhere and everywhere, don't they? Again, I guess it will depend on what they offer, and how much the sites cost.

July 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Oh, okay I was gonna say...

Yes, it wouldn't be of any surprise if Tesco were after the land. They want stores anywhere and everywhere, don't they? Again, I guess it will depend on what they offer, and how much the sites cost.

Well its a loss making company, so probably just the land value. Dont forget, Tesco have a vast land bank that they dont use - but if they own it, no one else can have it!

MissHailstorm
July 6th, 2007, 04:20 AM
What a waste!

Oh, well, cuts the competition, I suppose...

July 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well partially true.

My nearest choices has been bought by Tesco and is being closed down. Another within the district is currently being measured by Starbucks!

MissHailstorm
July 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Well... I suppose it's good for Blockbuster in the short term, but it's not looking good for the industry in the long term, is it?

July 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Fopp closed down this week
HMV sales down
Global gone
Choices loosing money
Apollo??
Music Zone gone
MVC gone a long time ago
There was another - name 100% escapes me that has gone as well.

Even Tesco is reducing space nationwide from DVD to something else.