PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to Blockbuster

Chrisedge
November 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
November 2, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
Say goodbye to Blockbuster
Posted by Don Reisinger

The end is here

(Credit: Crave)It looks like the bottom has finally fallen out of Blockbuster. After numerous failed attempts at attracting new customers, the company is finally spiraling out of control.

Sad as it is, the end is near for Blockbuster, and all that pressure it has been placing on Netflix will be lifted.

And in the end, Netflix will be left standing to fight another day.

Although Blockbuster tried everything it could to create a compelling reason for us to use the service, the company could not overcome its downfall. For years, it was hated by those people who saw it as a monolithic organization that enjoyed charging exorbitant late fees and had little or no care of what the customers wanted most. So when Netflix offered an entirely new service, the dynamics of the industry was inexorably changed, and Blockbuster was left playing catch up.

According to the company's third-quarter results released Thursday, Blockbuster's revenue slid 5.7 percent and the company harbored a net loss of $35 million. Worse, it has closed 526 stores in the past year, and the number of employees will be reduced to offset high overhead costs to the tune of $45 million. Blockbuster's injured stock price continues to fall and was priced at $5.06 at Thursday's close.

But if that's not enough to signal defeat, Blockbuster Chairman Jim Keyes admitted that his company's focus on Netflix was damaging and has decided to pull the plug on his demand for higher Total Access membership. Instead, he wants Blockbuster to focus on increasing overall membership.

Sorry, Jim, but I think you're out of luck.

Much like the print media and retail stores refusing to change, Blockbuster has been a victim on an online company finding new and inventive ways of bringing a product to a customer. And due to its size and outdated corporate culture, there really is no salvation for Blockbuster at this point. Try as it might, the future of Blockbuster is bleak, at best.

Sure, the company still enjoys revenue that climb into the billions of dollars, but with an ever-increasing net loss and a public refusal to focus on Total Access--the area where Netflix continues to dominate--what is the impetus for us to jump on the Blockbuster bandwagon?

Simply put, Blockbuster is doomed. And while many of us have known it for a while now, it's amazing to me that the chairman of the company admitted this in a not-so subtle way, as well.

For Blockbuster, there is currently no prospect for growth. Not only is it incapable of breaking the Netflix shell, the brick-and-mortar stores are failing, and there is little chance it will be able to capitalize on the future of movie rentals--downloading.

The way I see it, Blockbuster has two options: sell off the company as soon as possible or spend huge sums of cash on research and development and strategic partnerships with distribution companies to make downloading movies a viable alternative to Netflix.

But unfortunately, I simply don't see this happening. I think Blockbuster will try to stay the course in the hopes it can find a way out. It won't.

I'll give it two years before this company goes under.

Originally posted at The Digital Home.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9809950-7.html

brantheman
November 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
That's the dumbest thing i've read in a while.

zooworker
November 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Ouch Chris...........
I give it 3 years, unless there is some kind of turnaround at the store level. By the way who would want to buy us anyway?

Propoxy
November 2nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
526 store closings is the number in the press release, but I can't quite figure out how it was arrived at based on this info, also in the press release. I keep coming up with 509. But it's late. Maybe my math just sucks.

Worldwide Store Count Information:
Thirty-Nine Weeks
Ended
Sept. 30, 2007

Domestic Company-Owned Stores:
Beginning 4,255
Additions/Purchases 35
Closures/Sales (260)
Ending 4,030

International Company-Owned Stores:
Beginning 2,296
Additions/Purchases 87
Closures/Sales (311)
Ending 2,072

Franchised Stores:
Beginning 1,809
Additions/Purchases 43
Closures/Sales (103)
Ending 1,749

Total Stores Worldwide:
Beginning 8,360
Additions/Purchases 165
Closures/Sales (674)
Ending 7,851

But, yeah, when you look just at the Domestic numbers, it doesn't seem quite as doom and gloom. 260 stores closed, but 35 opened. That's better than last year when 301 stores closed and 57 opened.

Effigy of the Forgotten
November 3rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Well, it's worth noting that this is basically an op-ed piece and not actual journalism, I think that accounts for most of the dumb/weird stuff the original author wrote.

OzMan
November 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Something more for the MBAs to spin......

CarnorJax27069
November 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I cant wait to see what the new head is planning! I want to see if he is up to par to plug the holes, or if he's just going to let the water keep flooding in!

c:nt
November 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Surely Chris dosent want to see the end of Blockbuster.

That would make a name like 'IHateBlockbuster.com' useless!!!

johnlow71
November 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
we would move to www.ihateblockbusterforclosingdown.com

c:nt
November 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I wonder how many people will click that link?!?!?

zooworker
November 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Surely Chris dosent want to see the end of Blockbuster.

That would make a name like 'IHateBlockbuster.com' useless!!!
Now that would be a trauma, would have to start therapy again:D

I wonder how many people will click that link?!?!?
Probably 99 percent. ;)

Blockbuster_CEO
December 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
That's why I took the money and ran!!!!

Hi again everyone. And Chris is 100% right.

Lomithrandel
December 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Holy f....

weren't you fired? :p

Stell
January 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I do agree with what is stated in some ways, as honestly I can see the company getting into a lot of bother if they do not sort out their actions.

I mean for starters, this 7 nights 3 for 2 offer.......why, why is it needed? All it does is piss off people that want to rent something. Whilst its a good idea to attract people off the street, we need more stock to compensate for it.

MP3 players and music in some store, again, why? Either commit or dont. Its no good doing it in one store, and no others, as then you cant advertise the company doing them as a whole, and instead your stuck with regular visitors knwoing some stores do it, but the majority will just go down the local Currys unaware of the fact Blockbusters even do electronics.

Blockbusters is a rental company, so why have we just been told to remove around 300 items from out 7 night range? We now have a bigger retails section, and around 30% of the shop is rental based, the rest retail. Whilst I think tis a good idea, endevouring into retail, most people will still use us for rentals, and the rental range needs to stay diverse and plentiful, otehrwise we we get what a lot of our customers are doing, pay for LoveFilm and only bother with BB if they want something that night.

Remeber that video we got shown a few months back of the managers meeting? and being told "IF YOU NEED STOCK, YOU WILL HAVE IT" Well let me tell you now. We need....Nintendo DS's, 360 Premiums, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty 4, Fifa 08 and 360 Entertainment Packs, and we needed them 2 weeks ago.

BB at teh moment seem to be experimenting in a lot of different areas, but seem to be unwilling to commit to anything, and they need to commit to something before they find themselves up shit creek without a paddle and a hole in their raft.

DJ911X
January 31st, 2008, 11:50 PM
blockbuster isn't going anywhere. seeing as how the general public can't wrap their fat, empty heads around the concept of a due date, blockbuster will simply turn to a retail store... i.e. ELECTRONICS, MUSIC, and ARTWORK/POSTERS. granted, they fucked up their chance at having a decent online service, i can say that the only person to point the finger at is the customer. unlimited free rentals for 9.99 scared off one too many cheap bastards and gave birth to the 3.99 plan with no free exchanges and others that are one or two dollars less than the unlimited exchange plans but you only get 2 or 3 free exchanges in a month. cheaper isn't always better...

SkullcapComix
February 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Totally agree with Stell. I really don't get jumping into all this new retail stuff, and saying that "This is what we want the customers to associate the name Blockbuster with, along with renting, if ALL the stores don't have it.

Keys wants customers to come to us with all their BluRay needs... there is ONE store in my district of about 17-20 stores that even HAS BluRay. There isn't another store for MILES AND MILES that even has them. I don't even know how many people I have to turn away a DAY because we don't have them.

Yippee... we got on average, 250 copies of American Gangster per store. That was a decent Job.... too bad its been out for a week now and even with the weekend, we haven't come close to running out, because people have stopped thinking of us as having enough copies. That little optical illusion thing they have us doing by stacking the movies 8-deep every other spot fooled people for like... an hour. They get it. Please make us stop doing that. It looks retarded, and I get told so at LEAST once a day. I'm also glad that when Michael Clayton came out, my HIGH VOLUME store had 15 copies. We were out within the first hour of business on Tuesday morning. We got over 200 more three days later... but all the HUNDREDS of people I had to turn away between that time already got it elsewhere... and I now have 200+ copies just sitting on my shelf, because no one wanted them. (I can't wait to do those field destroys and PRP transfers.)

Same with games. They want people to come for us for games. Can we get MORE then ONE copy of each please? WTF. You KNOW that game pass dick head will come in THAT MORNING and take it for the next month.... whats the point? And I LOVE how all the stores started getting PS3's, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero 3..... MONTHS after they were initially available... and at prices that people already paid FAR LESS then elsewhere. If we had Guitar Hero when people WANTED it, we could have sold them. If we had rock band with some exclusive content or at a competitive price... people MIGHT pick them off my floor. If our PS3 wasn't 600... someone MIGHT buy it... only reason they will now, is something we have to actually THANK Sony for, in the fact that none of the new ones are backwards compatible (hey, when are you guys gonna make an "I HATE SONY.com" forum? :rolleyes: )

Blockbuster could kick major ass.... if they didn't WAIT for other people to have great ideas and execution, and actually take initiative to try new things NOW and get them out there BEFORE the competition. We NEVER do anything FIRST, and the one thing we DID try, No Late Fees, we f*cked up entirely. Well shit, pick yourselves up and try again. Stop waiting and just TRY things. and try them UNIVERSALLY. Good lord.