I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   News (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blockbuster to sell, rent movies through TiVo (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9493)

JustTheFacts March 24th, 2009 08:25 PM

Blockbuster to sell, rent movies through TiVo

So push those TIVO machines like your JOB depends on it...:eek:

Blockbuster plans to sell, rent out movies and TV shows through TiVo later this year

Deborah Yao, AP Business Writer
Wednesday March 25, 2009, 12:05 am EDT

The Dallas-based video rental company is playing catch-up to rival Netflix Inc., which already offers free instant streaming of its movies and TV shows through TiVo DVRs and other devices with its "Watch Instantly" service.

But unlike Netflix, Blockbuster's fee-based TiVo offering will include new releases available two to four weeks after they hit video rental stores -- ahead of pay-per-view. The deal is expected to be announced Wednesday.

TiVo users will be able to rent 10,000 Blockbuster titles for $1.99 to $3.99, and purchase movies for $14.99 to $19.99 each. The Blockbuster feature will be available for standalone users of the TiVo Series 2 and 3 units, TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL DVRs.

"This is the first mass-market product that we will be inside," said Kevin A. Lewis, senior vice president of digital entertainment at Blockbuster.

Blockbuster already has deals that build its video-on-demand technology into Vizio televisions and a media player by 2Wire. It plans to expand its VOD capability to mobile devices, Blu-ray players and other consumer electronics.

Netflix also offers video streaming through Xbox game consoles, Internet-capable Blu-ray players from LG and Samsung, as well as on the Roku digital video player.

Expanding its reach is a key strategy for Blockbuster, which has seen its video rental business decline as DVD-by-mail services and online video viewing rise in popularity.

The company posted a loss for the fourth quarter, but U.S. same-store sales at locations open at least a year rose by 4 percent, as sales of products such as video games, DVD players and other devices helped offset softer video rentals.

Blockbuster said it will sell TiVo DVRs at its retail stores and on its Web site.

Joe Miller, TiVo's senior vice president of consumer sales and affiliate marketing, said the Blockbuster deal means the addition of "another marquee brand in home entertainment."

Alviso, Calif.-based TiVo has deals with Amazon.com and its software is licensed by Comcast Corp., Cox Communications Inc. and DirecTV Group Inc. for use with their set-top boxes. TiVo has 3.3 million subscribers, of which 1.6 million own standalone TiVo DVRs

jwspice March 24th, 2009 11:19 PM

Hmmm...TiVo

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/03/25...loc/#continued

Selling TiVo's in stores and making BB their source of VOD. Thoughts?

Antithesys March 24th, 2009 11:46 PM

Wow. Though it doesn't improve the long-term survival status of the stores, BB may have just saved itself as a brand. Going set-top is the only way to get into the future of movie distribution, and these days you either own a TiVo or you don't own a television.

johnlow71 March 25th, 2009 03:05 AM

yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahoooooooooooooooo we always win............

Angry March 25th, 2009 08:35 AM

I love my Tivo HD... I could never go back to the crappy comcast DVR. However, I don't think Tivo will ever become mainstream, due to the fact that most people aren't going to pay ~$250 for the Tivo, $40 for the Tivo Wireless adapter (unless you want to go wired), then at least another 8-12 bucks per month to subscribe to Tivo's service. Then on top of all that, you have to pay the Cable company to rent their cable cards so you receive your channels. And if you have comcast..... well, just take a look at the tivo forums about all the problems people have had during installation. It is a nightmare. Luckily, mine only took 2 visits to get up and running. Don't get me wrong, it's good to see Blockbuster finally entering this area. Hopefully they strike up some sort of deal with Sony next.

trinityw25 March 25th, 2009 09:39 AM

wow that just sounds too difficult. I used to have a DVR through my cable company and man i miss that thing so much. now i just have to wait till my tv series are out on DVD and then i can watch em :)

BUYMECAR March 25th, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinityw25 (Post 298304)
wow that just sounds too difficult. I used to have a DVR through my cable company and man i miss that thing so much. now i just have to wait till my tv series are out on DVD and then i can watch em :)

agreed.

or just watch em online free kekeke >=D

Woodstock March 25th, 2009 12:18 PM

I have a DVR from AT&T, and I love it!!!

Antithesys March 25th, 2009 01:31 PM

Cable/satellite/independent DVRs are better than nothing. It's like a horse-drawn carriage is better than walking. But if DVRs are a horse-drawn carriage, TiVo is the starship Enterprise.

DavidNewlySL March 25th, 2009 05:06 PM

Brick and mortar wont go away completely..u just might only see a few stores..