I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   News (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blockbuster to pay $300,000 in dispute (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9624)

zooworker May 19th, 2009 10:31 AM

Blockbuster to pay $300,000 in dispute

Anyone heard of this one?:confused:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc. is paying $300,000 to resolve a lawsuit alleging the video rental chain overcharged some of its California customers for candy, popcorn, movies and other merchandise.
The stipulated judgment announced Monday ends a nearly five-year investigation into the way Blockbuster rang up sales in 14 California counties.
The probe found more than 3,800 discrepancies between the final sales price and the prices that had been advertised or posted in the 82 stores where the problems surfaced, said Gina Darvas, a deputy district attorney for San Diego County.
None of the alleged overcharging involved video rentals, Darvas said.
But inaccurate prices were found on various concessions and movies for sale, trigging an unfair business practice lawsuit by the district attorneys in San Diego and Los Angeles counties.
"This does not reflect the way we conduct business at our stores," Blockbuster said in a statement. "We have assured the state that we will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure pricing for the products in our stores is accurate."
Dallas-based Blockbuster has more than 500 stores in California.
The judgment against Blockbuster consists primarily of $237,750 in penalities that will help fund consumer protection programs in San Diego and Los Angeles counties. The remaining $62,250 in investigation costs will be divided among 14 counties: San Diego, Los Angeles, Kern, Napa, Sacramento, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Stanislaus, Ventura, Riverside, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Orange.

And not one cent goes to the customers....:rolleyes:

BUYMECAR May 19th, 2009 01:34 PM

this is about the earlier bundles, i bet.

zooworker May 19th, 2009 01:44 PM

Lets see, 3800 descrepancies, 82 stores comes to 46 over 5 years is about 9 per store.
Damn reprice reports!!!!!!!!!:mad:

buyacombopass May 19th, 2009 02:26 PM

lol. just lol.

sar94pga May 19th, 2009 03:37 PM

whoops. lmao. that not good.

KAWLIGA May 19th, 2009 08:44 PM

(waiting patiently for BBVCASUALPOSTER to explain to all of us why "This isn't important", and "Blockbuster meant to do that" or "this has been expected for months".)

ClutztomerControl May 19th, 2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooworker (Post 302153)
Lets see, 3800 descrepancies, 82 stores comes to 46 over 5 years is about 9 per store.
Damn reprice reports!!!!!!!!!:mad:

No shit. I hated doing reprices. They never came out right.. and I'd be almost done with three trillion pages of reprices... and then the DM would call and say not to do the reprices yet...because they were wrong in the system...:mad: That's what I get for getting my work done fast...

ClutztomerControl May 19th, 2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooworker (Post 302138)
Anyone heard of this one?:confused:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc. is paying $300,000 to resolve a lawsuit alleging the video rental chain overcharged some of its California customers for candy, popcorn, movies and other merchandise.
The stipulated judgment announced Monday ends a nearly five-year investigation into the way Blockbuster rang up sales in 14 California counties.
The probe found more than 3,800 discrepancies between the final sales price and the prices that had been advertised or posted in the 82 stores where the problems surfaced, said Gina Darvas, a deputy district attorney for San Diego County.
None of the alleged overcharging involved video rentals, Darvas said.
But inaccurate prices were found on various concessions and movies for sale, trigging an unfair business practice lawsuit by the district attorneys in San Diego and Los Angeles counties.
"This does not reflect the way we conduct business at our stores," Blockbuster said in a statement. "We have assured the state that we will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure pricing for the products in our stores is accurate."
Dallas-based Blockbuster has more than 500 stores in California.
The judgment against Blockbuster consists primarily of $237,750 in penalities that will help fund consumer protection programs in San Diego and Los Angeles counties. The remaining $62,250 in investigation costs will be divided among 14 counties: San Diego, Los Angeles, Kern, Napa, Sacramento, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Stanislaus, Ventura, Riverside, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo and Orange.

And not one cent goes to the customers....:rolleyes:

Bureaucracy is a bitch.

jeremy piven May 19th, 2009 11:28 PM

i dont know about anybody else but if something is priced wrong and they notice/say something about it.. we usually just adjust the price accordingly, knowing that we were the ones at fault. {of course we're not talking about shady people who pull stickers off, etc.}

and it does tend to be a pain.. reprices just come in too much, it's really unecessary. let alone having so much product scattered throughout the store on various tables and endcaps and whoever doing the reprice doesnt find everything. very tedious crap.

zooworker May 20th, 2009 11:54 AM

I wonder if Wal-Mart ever got nailed for this. Every time I go there something is priced wrong. And when I check out you have to pay attention to the prices as they ring up your items.