I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster? (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Rental Exclusive" (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10071)

TheAnomaly December 28th, 2009 07:01 PM

"Rental Exclusive"

I've been noticing this more and more on our movies lately. Anyone know what makes them so "exclusive"?

Are they just leaving off bonus features and unrated versions so people who might just rent the movie from Redbox decide to buy it instead?

Antithesys December 28th, 2009 08:30 PM

It might be a move against us...for example, if someone buys a PRP of Hangover they'll be getting a disc that says RENTAL on it and has no special features.

shay December 28th, 2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antithesys (Post 314043)
It might be a move against us...for example, if someone buys a PRP of Hangover they'll be getting a disc that says RENTAL on it and has no special features.

The 1 disc of Hangover retail has no special features either... however it is digital copy.

BUYMECAR December 29th, 2009 02:11 AM

apart from additional features (or lack thereof), rental has more copyright protection and in a lot of cases, is full of a lot of fake data on the disc.

disney has the most toughest yet messiest encryption methods for their rentals. not impossible to get through but they get even more messy with each new disney film to release on dvd.

apart from that, some rental discs also have more trailers/studio ads than the retail versions. i noticed that Universal films tend to do this. not sure of anyone else.

MusicMan943 December 29th, 2009 09:34 AM

The irritating part of some of these new rental disks is that we have been told they do not play in all players. Wonder if it has something to do with the new copyright protection features.

wheresmikey December 29th, 2009 01:59 PM

have you come across more unskippable trailers?

igniteice December 29th, 2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUYMECAR (Post 314046)
disney has the most toughest yet messiest encryption methods for their rentals. not impossible to get through but they get even more messy with each new disney film to release on dvd.

If it can be played, it can be copied.

Also, I bought a copy of Taken from Hollywood Video a few months ago and it has "Rental Exclusive" across it. I haven't tried copying it (since, well, I have no reason to copy it... since I own it...) but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

whothehelldoyouthinkiam December 29th, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheresmikey (Post 314054)
have you come across more unskippable trailers?

I know what you're talking about. The past few blu-rays I've rented have had such things, I press "top menu", "pop up/menu" on my ps3 bd remote to no avail. Skip or Next (whatever you want to refer to it as) doesn't work either. If I recall, it will allow you to fast forward though....awesome. Also, if anyone else is into blu-ray, has anyone noticed how terribly crappy the trailers look on the blu-ray discs...its like a bad encode or something.

zooworker December 29th, 2009 05:35 PM

Hi Iggy!!!......

igniteice December 29th, 2009 10:27 PM

sup yo....................