I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Do You Hate Blockbuster Video? (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Am I Wrong To Ask For A Pay Raise ? (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10127)

PartyGuy February 6th, 2010 07:22 AM

Am I Wrong To Ask For A Pay Raise ?

Ok so I know the company is having a HUGE problem right now no raises or bonuses etc. I have work for blockbuster for 3 years. I started out at minimum wage . Then after I sold over 70 GTA presales by myself I got this big raise "so they say". Well it's been over 2 years now minimum wage has gone up and now that is what I am making. Everyone CSR / manger at my store gets hired the same pay as me or more. I really don't think this is fair. I mean I have been with blockbuster for over 3 years. I am still a CSR by choice, I run my own company and I don't want to be full time. I spoke to my store manager and she won't even ask our district manager. I am thinking of asking my self. I doubt I will get any where ? Any input on this would be nice.

wheresmikey February 8th, 2010 07:15 PM

lol. you will not find what you're looking for at blockbuster.

almondSM February 8th, 2010 07:47 PM

there is absolutely NO pay negotiation right now because of a) the state the company is in and b) they can find any person to do your job *maybe not as well* for minimum wage. By going over your store managers head and asking your DM for a raise is probably only going to piss your SM off.

libra February 9th, 2010 12:22 AM

I would wait a month to see if Blockbuster is going to do raises anyways. My DM said last year that there is no way they would freeze pay rates for 2 years in a row. Although he also said not to quote him on that... but I think I just did... oops. Anyways, if they announce they are or aren't, then decide. I think if they pass on paying the front line a tiny bit more than people such as yourself should speak up. I think even if we were told pick 3 team members that have earned a raise based on merrit, that would even be better than no one at all. And if they still can't do that, then what the hell. I'd be pissed. I know it is rough times but I hate seeing corporate wallets expand while our wallets can barely afford to pay the bills.

There has been a bunch of restructuring lately so who knows. Anything could happen. Good luck.

zooworker February 9th, 2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyGuy (Post 314959)
Ok so I know the company is having a HUGE problem right now no raises or bonuses etc. I have work for blockbuster for 3 years. I started out at minimum wage . Then after I sold over 70 GTA presales by myself I got this big raise "so they say". Well it's been over 2 years now minimum wage has gone up and now that is what I am making. Everyone CSR / manger at my store gets hired the same pay as me or more. I really don't think this is fair. I mean I have been with blockbuster for over 3 years. I am still a CSR by choice, I run my own company and I don't want to be full time. I spoke to my store manager and she won't even ask our district manager. I am thinking of asking my self. I doubt I will get any where ? Any input on this would be nice.

Your probably shit out of luck on that one, how can they give a raise when they are cutting people right and left. Maybe it's time to jump ship.

PartyGuy February 10th, 2010 09:27 AM

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input everyone. I kinda figured it I wouldn't get anywhere. I just think it's bull shit they pay new people more then me, when I have been with blockbuster for 3 years. I bet the company goes under this year. We earned are crazy store bonus goal that no one makes and they took it away. Who does that, I guess just blockbuster. I am about to just jump the ship. Movie rentals keep going up. There almost 6 dollars at my store. Blockbuster needs to do something fast.

HelloItsMeMOM February 11th, 2010 04:35 PM

SIX dollars for a movie rental? That is insane!

HelloItsMeMOM February 11th, 2010 04:36 PM

Wrong? NO Stupid? YES

Come on .. the unemployment rate is double digits. Everyone is easily replaced right now ....

YodaVSBBV February 13th, 2011 11:38 PM

The next raise you get will be at your new job.

underemployed February 14th, 2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyGuy (Post 315125)
....I just think it's bull shit they pay new people more then me, when I have been with blockbuster for 3 years...

I'm a SL getting $8.60 and they just hired a new SL for $11. More than our 4 years experience SAM gets! How's that for bullshit?

BBW[BlockBusterWorker] February 14th, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underemployed (Post 339420)
I'm a SL getting $8.60 and they just hired a new SL for $11. More than our 4 years experience SAM gets! How's that for bullshit?

That is terrible pay for a SL.

When I started as a CSR I was making $8.25/hr then when I was bumped to 4Star CSR I made $8.75 then at SL I was making $10/hr and when I demoted myself back to CSR I now make $9.25/hr.

I am happy making what I make as a CSR now.

underemployed February 14th, 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBW[BlockBusterWorker] (Post 339426)
That is terrible pay for a SL.

When I started as a CSR I was making $8.25/hr then when I was bumped to 4Star CSR I made $8.75 then at SL I was making $10/hr and when I demoted myself back to CSR I now make $9.25/hr.

I am happy making what I make as a CSR now.

well, I was hired as a CSR at $7.60 and was told by the then SM that I was lucky to get more than minimum. He left us soon after I started and I really liked the new SM. I got a $1 raise when I became an SL and still told I had it so well by the DM. I didn't really care, it was meant to be a temporary thing between jobs anyway, and I have another job where I earn just under $50K now (I hadn't mentioned I have a BA and just finished an MA.) The main reason I stayed on a couple nights a week was that I liked the new SAM, other SL's and CSR's. But just because it isn't about the money doesn't make it any less bullshit, ya know?

BBW[BlockBusterWorker] February 14th, 2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underemployed (Post 339430)
well, I was hired as a CSR at $7.60 and was told by the then SM that I was lucky to get more than minimum. He left us soon after I started and I really liked the new SM. I got a $1 raise when I became an SL and still told I had it so well by the DM. I didn't really care, it was meant to be a temporary thing between jobs anyway, and I have another job where I earn just under $50K now (I hadn't mentioned I have a BA and just finished an MA.) The main reason I stayed on a couple nights a week was that I liked the new SAM, other SL's and CSR's. But just because it isn't about the money doesn't make it any less bullshit, ya know?

What state do you work in? In NY minimum is $7.15 so me starting at $8.25/hr was great. If BB didn't screw me out of my ASM promotion I would have been making $13/hr. Cost of living in NYC is terrible ugh.

djblade February 14th, 2011 01:39 PM

Zooworker and the others are right. There isn't anyone that will get a pay raise. Your SM knows the answer will be "No...". If one gets it, then they all will complain. Although there is one way, which is legal. You have to quite and get re hired. Then they can decide to pay you more. That is the only way...unless u get promoted .

HelloItsMeMOM February 14th, 2011 09:09 PM

But if you quit you lose everything you have built up, so I guess it is one or the other ...

whineyboy February 15th, 2011 12:50 PM

tell you boss, you have found a new job that pay better, and are thinking about taking it, see what they say, if you are a valuable employee you might get it, probally not,

if not go find a job that pays more

BBW[BlockBusterWorker] February 15th, 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whineyboy (Post 339497)
tell you boss, you have found a new job that pay better, and are thinking about taking it, see what they say, if you are a valuable employee you might get it, probally not,

if not go find a job that pays more

Keep in mind nobody that works for Blockbuster at store level is valuable. You are always expendable and always replacable.

underemployed February 17th, 2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBW[BlockBusterWorker] (Post 339431)
What state do you work in? In NY minimum is $7.15 so me starting at $8.25/hr was great. If BB didn't screw me out of my ASM promotion I would have been making $13/hr. Cost of living in NYC is terrible ugh.

I thought the federal minimum wage was $7.25 since summer of 2009?

djblade February 17th, 2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underemployed (Post 339637)
I thought the federal minimum wage was $7.25 since summer of 2009?

Different states with different minimum wages

BBW[BlockBusterWorker] February 17th, 2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djblade (Post 339669)
Different states with different minimum wages

Correct.

Every store should have an up to date poster in their backroom explaining you're rights as an employ in the state you work in. The very first thing they mention is the state's minumum wage.

CoffeeCup February 20th, 2011 04:06 AM

hehehehe raise. Funny word.

TheShooter87 February 20th, 2011 06:05 AM

i know this topic is old, and was resurrected but since the damage is done already

if at this point BBV gives ANYONE a pay raise without a forced promotion, I will personally write Jim Keyes a letter admitting he is the greatest CEO on the planet, and that I am humbled just to be able to send a letter to a man of his great stature...

yeah I dont see that happening

KAWLIGA February 20th, 2011 03:53 PM

Dude...don't listen to these complainers!!
If I were you, I wouldn't ask for a raise, I would DEMAND a raise!!
LET THEM KNOW YOUR SERIOUS!!!
DON'T TAKE "NO" FOR AN ANSWER!!

Make them "MAN-UP" and pay you what you're worth!!!

deathbydanny February 21st, 2011 05:53 AM

That would happen if BBV didn't have to dig in the mall fountain to afford what they already have.

an0nemus February 27th, 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underemployed (Post 339420)

Wow....I was an AM 1 back in 1997 and I was getting 8.85 an hour....

BBW[BlockBusterWorker] March 4th, 2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an0nemus (Post 340515)
Wow....I was an AM 1 back in 1997 and I was getting 8.85 an hour....

I would say for 1997 that was the equivalent of $11-$13 today.

ripGRUSH March 8th, 2011 03:34 PM

I haven't had a raise outside of my pants in the last three years either man, but be thankful you have a job. I've had friends unemployed from three to a year and a half it's a hard market right now. Just be thankful min. wage went up. You could also try selling 70 pickles in pouches that may get you a raise.

zooworker March 10th, 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripGRUSH (Post 341671)
I haven't had a raise outside of my pants in the last three years either man, .

Sounds like someone isn't getting any.......:D

ripGRUSH March 10th, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooworker (Post 341887)
Sounds like someone isn't getting any.......:D

Touché.well played sir well played!

AliensExist March 19th, 2011 12:02 AM

Wages at BB ??

Hi, I work for Blockbuster as a Store Manager in Europe but has thought about moving to California over this summer. Just out of curriosity, what are the approximately starting salery for a Store Manager at BB in the states?

Hot Head March 24th, 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliensExist (Post 342571)
Hi, I work for Blockbuster as a Store Manager in Europe but has thought about moving to California over this summer. Just out of curriosity, what are the approximately starting salery for a Store Manager at BB in the states?

Depends on degree/time put in with company/ experience....Cost of living there is EXTREMELY HIGH

Autosale March 24th, 2011 03:31 PM

just make sure not to transfer to a dying store/store that will close soon

zooworker March 24th, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Don't even think about it, cost of living is to fucking high and ever one there is weird....except people on here..K?:D

deathbydanny March 24th, 2011 08:49 PM

Only go to California if you like your people and your breasts the same way-- artificial and without substance. And if you want your wallet to be like Keyes' suit and head-- empty.

And when did I turn into Blockbuster Confucius?

HelloItsMeMOM March 25th, 2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

My guess is soon it will be zero ...

PartyGuy March 26th, 2011 12:35 PM

Well I don't have to worry about a pay raise now that my store is closing. All I can say is I got screwed my 3 years working at Blockbuster new hires made more then me.

I wish everyone the best of luck !

Hot Head March 26th, 2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyGuy (Post 343472)
Well I don't have to worry about a pay raise now that my store is closing. All I can say is I got screwed my 3 years working at Blockbuster new hires made more then me.

I wish everyone the best of luck !

Exactly I would give you a pay raise, but since your fired I can no longer oblige. if thats even a word, I totally spelled it wrong.

AliensExist March 27th, 2011 04:11 AM

Are the cost of living really that high in Cali?? In Copenhagen where I live I pay 43% taxes and 1/3 of my salery to cover rental. I believe that's expensive!! Gas and food is not nearly as expensive in the states as it is over here.. The prices here is crazy!

Well, the reason why I want to move to California is because my dad lives in SF. I saw some job openings as SM in the SF/Oakland area... It could be cool to try it out...

I have been SM at a BB store for a year now with some really good results.. So do anyone have an idea about how much I could expect to be payed as an SM in a US BB-store?

underemployed March 28th, 2011 08:13 AM

lol ya I was gonna say even california is will seem cheap to a European. That is until you get sick and have to pay to go to the doctor and full price for your prescription medication.

Veruka_Salt March 28th, 2011 08:52 AM

You might want to check out some "cost of living" index websites to get a good sense, although they can be slightly misleading. For example, when I moved from an expensive Northeast city to an allegedly cheaper Southern town I anticipated how much I would need to earn to maintain the same life style. Uh, close but no cigar. There will be unexpected costs (like the doctor mentioned above). Use those sites as a baseline, and then maybe about 10% or so. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a big difference between the cities of San Francisco and Oakland -- despite being separated only by a bridge.