I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster? (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   To all those current BBV Employees (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10930)

TheShooter87 December 9th, 2010 04:44 AM

To all those current BBV Employees

I was in the same boat as you, I had been burned out, and mentally beaten down by the end of my BBV run, so I jumped out @ the first chance I got, and let me just say that I regret it every day, though I do not necessarily regret quitting because of the way I was treated by our new SM/DM combo (who both coincidentally are no longer with the company)

-At first, the job I had lined up was a good one with a well known company, but as soon as I started working there, they sliced the hell out of the hours, in fact I went 3 weeks straight without being on the schedule, at which point I called them and tried to get more hours (I wasnt even trained yet), to which they told me theyd see what they could do, well 2 more weeks went by and nothing

-During this time I had been putting in applications, and got a call from a Big Box retailer, so I jumped at the chance primarily because I needed a job to pay for classes...boy was that a mistake, now every day I go to work, is hell.

-Now im not posting this to whine (ok, maybe a bit) but all im saying, is the "Grass is always Greener" idea may be kicking in on you, but I assure you it is not, I would take BBV with my worst manager, any day over my current job, and as we speak im actually trying to get back on at my old store, since ive heard the new management regime that ran me out is no longer with the company.

Is BBV corporate inept at times? yes, am i defending their every decision? no. do some DM's / RDO's suck? indeed they do

I just want to warn people who are suffering right now, to hang in there, hey at the worst youll get unemploymnent, but there are far, far, far, far worse places out there to work then bbv.

ok, sorry for the long read, but I felt it had to be said

MaximusX7 December 9th, 2010 05:13 AM

nice, like working for the city picking up trash on a hot summer day right after a storm passed. thats worst. hot fucking garbage.
but i know what you mean, its a headache, but you cant beat free rentals. its not perfect, puts a little extra change in my pocket, but it works.

TheShooter87 December 9th, 2010 05:19 AM

^exactly

im just trying to get people to not make the mistake I did, and leap at the first chance you can get, unless you know for sure its a good deal.

if i could go back, I wouldve tried to wait out evil-SM, though I think they brought in LP to get rid of us more tenured/high paid people.

johnlow71 December 9th, 2010 05:34 AM

good article but sometimes the grass is grenner, ive been on both sides. its life we make decisions. just never know for sure and thats the joys of life. well ive know a few times for sure and then you just walk the fuck out. gl and peace brotherz!

DoctorDan December 9th, 2010 07:12 AM

Do what I did, get the hell out of retail! Customer service, office support,
maybe SOMETHING at a retail company's corp headquarters. Even if you stay at your present job, make it a job to find something.
When I left BB, a former DM told me.."isn't it great. It's like someone turned on the oxygen."

yodavsjason December 9th, 2010 01:16 PM

Or you could work cleaning out Johnlow's spectic tanks for playgrounds, what a shitty job that was.

Flantanella December 9th, 2010 01:35 PM

You do realize that if you dont do what they say, you get fired(IE make sale goals no matter what)

Then if you try to do UE they appeal it and most of the time, they win

So current workers, do not quit, let them fire you

Should been the better post

AdjectiveZord December 9th, 2010 01:55 PM

My advice for ANYONE moving from ANY career is to try and do a transition where you haven't completely quit your old job yet, just in case the new one doesn't pan out.

I quit BBV twice. Both times it wasn't until I had secured a full-time job and had been working at it for over 90 days. The only reason I went back was because I lost the first job I left the company for after about a year (company went under.)

But I will be the contrary voice to this post. At my current job I can make in one day what I might have made in a week at BBV and I don't have to talk to customers, make any sort of sales goals or even put on real clothes.

I remember I had an ASM at BBV who was trying to convince me that I NEEDED her advice on selling because "that's pretty much the only jobs left anymore."

Nope. That's what corporate wants you to think, but if you have actual skills and a desire to improve your lot in life, you can do it. I'm the laziest fuck in the whole world and I have a job people would kill for, so you can do it too.

BUYMECAR December 9th, 2010 02:04 PM

4 days off in a row. yay i can has job search, plz.

itirnitii December 9th, 2010 04:37 PM

I had the opposite experience when I quit in 2009. I found a great job after four months and I am still there. It is still retail but there are no sales goals. I love it!!