I Hate Blockbuster Forum

I Hate Blockbuster Forum (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster? (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Legally mandated breaks. (http://www.ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10401)

nycmakeithappen June 20th, 2010 10:06 AM

Legally mandated breaks.

I work in a state that requires a 30min unpaid break for every 5+ hour shift. Until recently everyone in my store was accustomed to getting said breaks but lately we have so few hours that it's incredibly impractical. My CSRs are fine but all a little new except one. How am I supposed to do breaks and not have half my store stolen when it's me and one CSR on a Friday night?

Xtreme Rebel June 20th, 2010 12:21 PM

Only schedule people for 4.5 hour shifts?

Flantanella June 20th, 2010 01:11 PM

you should been there when I was SL opening by myself and they said I needed to clock out for a break. Explain to me how I can operate a store and be on a break at the same time

God fuck this company

rk237 June 20th, 2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flantanella (Post 322172)
Explain to me how I can operate a store and be on a break at the same time

Lock the doors and do whatever you want for half an hour because you live in a free country and you're not on the clock.

johnlow71 June 20th, 2010 01:45 PM

someone tell me again what are breaks? never heard of this term.

Flantanella June 20th, 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk237 (Post 322173)
Lock the doors and do whatever you want for half an hour because you live in a free country and you're not on the clock.

but if a customer arrives for a movie, wants to speak to someone or even DM calls. Then they say why wasnt anyone in the store

zooworker June 20th, 2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycmakeithappen (Post 322167)
I work in a state that requires a 30min unpaid break for every 5+ hour shift. Until recently everyone in my store was accustomed to getting said breaks but lately we have so few hours that it's incredibly impractical. My CSRs are fine but all a little new except one. How am I supposed to do breaks and not have half my store stolen when it's me and one CSR on a Friday night?

Just do it, not your fault if that happens. Just let the DM know what may happen. I had to give them or answer to the SM and DM. Although I never got one , they expected csr's to take em/

gmp71270 June 20th, 2010 05:03 PM

I could be wrong but I think the law says they have to offer a break but you aren't required to take it.

KAWLIGA June 20th, 2010 05:07 PM

3 words... "CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT"!!!!

Seriously...if you sue them, they will agree/settle (and I'll probably get another random check)

There is NO WAY IN HELL that they want anymore bad press!!!

What state do you live in?

wheresmikey June 20th, 2010 05:22 PM

were you a participant in a class action lawsuit kaw? have you ever shared this?