View Single Post
Unread August 12th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max belmont View Post
All I can say is wow. This past Saturday turned in the shift from hell with one customer. I will preface my rant by saying that the customer in question was an African American woman. I was already saddened by the news of Bernie Mac's death and I was not looking forward to a Saturday night closing. Everything was going fine. Now, the customer comes up, and I ask for her BB card.

Her: I don't have it.
Me: Do you have your driver's license?
Her: It's in the car...let me go get it.

I set her films and snacks aside and go on to the next customer. I carded every customer before she came back up. I happened to know everyone I helped because they are always in on the nights I worked. She picked up her snacks and I carried her films over to the ASM's drawer (she happened to have hopped on during this rush.) Here's what ensued:

Her: (to me) Can I have your name? I work for the BBB and I noticed something about the way you handled me.
Me: I'm sorry.
Her: I noticed I was the only person you asked for their ID. The only reason you asked me was because I'm black.
Me: Everyone had their card and I happen to know them.
Her: No, you didn't. The only reason you carded me was because I'm black. It's been happening alot lately with black people. I've never been asked for ID. I'm a (here it comes) regular here and the managers never card me or ask me for ID.

My MOD said afterwards that she didn't know her or has seen her, my other MOD says he always asks for ID when she doesn't have her card. Anyways, back to the conversation.

She kept hammering the point that I didn't know anyone I helped. Well, she kept bringing up the fact that she was black and that was the only reason I asked for her ID. I couldn't even get in a word, edgewise, because if I did then she would know that I sent someone away because they had neither. Later, I found out that she said to my MOD that she said, "Not all black people steal." The next night, there was two PV's in the drop box that she purchased and I set them aside for her. Everyone that I work with has said that she looks for any kind of trouble. God, I need a shot now.

I am an African American employee (I know, I should have a subsection identifying this) so imagine how many times I am accused of being racist because I won't remove their $60 member owned X360 game balance from their credit cards. Or imagine how many times I make a new account and people are hesitant to give me their credit card information in the first place.

But to change the subject, how 'bout dem Dolphins!?

Last edited by Thenigerian; August 12th, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Edited to add more guilt to my post.