View Single Post
Unread November 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM

This is hilarious. In what could be considered a "follow-up" article to the one I posted earlier, it is reported that Dish CEO Joe Clayton insistent on predicting a resurgence in BB's business:

“I believe that we are properly positioned to capitalize on a seasonably stronger fourth quarter,” Clayton told the magazine. “We'll also have a deeper inventory and high-impact titles that will be released during the fall selling season. This has been accomplished by negotiating improved trading terms with most of our studio partners.”

Link: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...ckbuster-28796

You have to be kidding me. If this was any other business that had been performing this dismally for so long and was faced with an equally bleak future, any reasonable executives would read the writing on the wall, so to speak, and liquidate their inventory (e.g., the Circuit City downfall and liquidation).

It seems that, instead of having good reason to believe that brick-and-mortal retail stores are the future of the movie/game rental business, it's actually the other way around -- they think that the future of movie/game renting SHOULD be with brick-and-mortar stores. Are the headaches of insisting on continuing to operate the remaining BB stores for the purpose "just because" really worth the money they're losing every quarter? Even if they post another $3-4 million dollar profit like they did last year, is a couple million dollars really worth all the trouble to a company that earns billions?

It almost seems like Dish is run by a bunch of out-of-touch old farts who are nostalgic for the glory days of VHS renting and just want the experience of running a chain of video stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (November 8th, 2012)