View Single Post
Unread May 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Hilarious. Blockbuster isn't "still alive", it's barely breathing. They just reported a 39% decline in revenue. They ended the quarter with roughly $100 million in cash. The stock just plunged 30% yet again. It's only a matter of a few business days before the stock goes even further down again.

FTA:

Quote:
Keyes said he thinks Blockbuster's video rentals should pick up later this year when some of the movies that recently filled the movie theaters are released on DVD. Nevertheless, Blockbuster is bracing for its same-store sales to dwindle through most of this year.
What a farce. The first quarter of the year is always a "dumping ground" for shitty movies. What's Keyes hoping for, Summer releases to come to stores faster? Every Oscar-nominated movie was released on DVD already, and demand hasn't really climbed at all. Our store made less than $500 in revenue yesterday *total*. That's right. Total. We had six shifts in that store the other day. One SM (~8 to 9 hours), two five-hour CSR shifts, two seven-hour CSR shifts, and one seven-hour SL shift. At the wages we're paid, this is a net profit of less than $200 after paying all the employees off. Way to go, store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxnl1090 View Post
I don't get how everyone harps on Blockbuster for cornering the market and putting mom and pop stores out of business. It's survival of the fittest. How can you blame a company for doing what it's supposed to do and expand?

In nature we don't sit around and harass lions for killing the gazelles. Look at every other sector of the retail world, you don't see mom and pop stores anymore of any kind, grocery stores, department stores, electriconcs and tv repair shops, these are all corporate run now. If consumers cared enough about supporting small businesses they would shop there and boycott corporations, but they don't they want the cheapest price and most convent way to get it and if BBV hadn't provided that some one else would have.

Don't blame Blockbuster for being successful, if tomorrow Netflix drove BBV out of business I would obviously be upset but I wouldn't blame the loss of my job on they tyranny of Netflix executives.
Fuck lions. They're driving the gazelles out of business.