I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
IHBB GOD

Tips for Managers

...So I thought this might be an interesting thread with so many experienced managers on the forum. Add any tips you can give to a manager at blockbuster, and try to stay serious! I'll start it off.

-Always start off assuming the customer is right. If they're wrong, chances are you'll be able to tell them so later.
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread September 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
IHBB GOD

- Always remember to settle out at the end of each night, and make sure that there is paper in the printer. The opening manager won't wish you dead if you do this.

- If you don't know how to do something, don't be afraid to call another store or another manager. Try calling the other store first, afterall your co-managers do have a life and might not be able to return/take your call.

- Don't be afraid to make a decision. "I credited off this $60.00 fee because...." might still get your SAM/SM to want to kill you, but it can open the door for communication as to what to do next time. If you make the wrong decision, fess up and we will go from there.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (Thanks Moonprism)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.
Unread September 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Sometimes your entire staff is going to quit, occasionally within mere days of each other. If you can't work 50 hours a week, including a couple of 15 hour shifts and three turnarounds, you don't need that big Shift Leader salary.
Unread September 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM

keep your staff in line don't let them dictate over you. keep them busy. Don't be a dick either be cool with them but let them know you're the boss.
Unread September 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
IHBB GOD

- Bring your own pen from home and keep it in your pocket. Never offer it, and if someone asks to borrow it for a brief moment, hover and get it back right away. This not only provides you with instant access to a pen whenever you need one, but one whose history you know too (employees always chew store pens or a least unconsciously stick them in their mouths or behind their ears.. to me, this is gross.. so I always brought a pen, and there was also a pack permanently in my car just for backup).
Unread September 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
- Bring your own pen from home and keep it in your pocket. Never offer it, and if someone asks to borrow it for a brief moment, hover and get it back right away. This not only provides you with instant access to a pen whenever you need one, but one whose history you know too (employees always chew store pens or a least unconsciously stick them in their mouths or behind their ears.. to me, this is gross.. so I always brought a pen, and there was also a pack permanently in my car just for backup).
Hehehe. I've got a special, black ball-point pen that I use for everything. A woman had taken it out of her purse to write a check about a year ago, and forgot it when she left the store. I've been using it ever since. If I kept it with me at all times i'd lose it, so I keep it hidden in a special place in one of the drawers at the manager desk. I only use it for post-its and the cash balancing worksheet. I love that fucking pen
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread September 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM

lol funny but true
Unread September 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyNormal View Post
Sometimes your entire staff is going to quit, occasionally within mere days of each other. If you can't work 50 hours a week, including a couple of 15 hour shifts and three turnarounds, you don't need that big Shift Leader salary.
Seriously, is every store like this or is it just mine? We've had SEVENTEEN people quit in the past 6 months, and it really seems like it's just a neverending string of newbies, one right after the other, and they quit the second they get trained.

We just had our entire management staff walk out on the same day, so it's me, my SM, and our 4-star (who is getting bumped up to SL) running every shift, and nearly everyday we have a CSR quit, call in, or just not show up. And I'm really REEEALLY sick of closing til 2 AM, then getting a call at 11 AM the next day of "Hey, ________ didn't show up, I need you to come in right now."

The no-shows aren't even getting written up because we simply don't have anyone to replace them, and the other stores in the district are mostly in the same boat and can't borrow anyone out either. We've had one girl... in the last three weeks since we brought her on, she's no-showed five times and called in twice. Then she told us she could only work one day a week, and we put her on for Saturday, and she CALLS IN AGAIN. She couldn't sell tacos to a starving Mexican, she literally cries, tears and all, when I ask her to run movies. And this week she's on the schedule for over 30 hours because, as my SM says, "Hopefully, she'll show up for at least one or two of them."

*bashes head against wall a few times*
Unread September 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
For Store Managers:

*Be proactive with your hiring process. Don't rely on the BEC (or whatever new thing you're using) for applications. Always be thinking about who would be a good addition to your team. Whether it's a regular customer, someone that tried to upsell you something at another store, etc.. When reviewing applications, look at all applications, not just the ones for positions you are trying to fill.

For instance, if you have your management positions filled but you need CSRs, call the SL applications. Chances are, you'll get a better CSR (if you can talk them into it) and you have a great opportunity to develop this employee. And remember, upsell sales are not the only sales responsibility of the SM. You have to SELL the potential employees on the job, and SELL your current employees on why they should stay with you.

And remember, a "Good Job" and a "Thank you" can go a long way.
Unread September 14th, 2007, 07:56 AM
IHBB GOD

As far as employee's.

Putting up a now hiring sign or even a banner always gets us 10 times the apps in 2 weeks we'd normally get in 3 months.

Also pull up apps from other stores close to you.

Lastly with new hires, many leave because we treat them bad or not always kindly. When they are new remember that. BBV systems and ways take a lot to absorb. Unless its sick calls, vulgar talk, sexual harrasment, or abusive attitude, i try to not fully judge my newbs skills until they have been with me 30 days.

Back to OP : FOLLOW THE MAP