I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
IHBB Freak

For You Kawwww

Blockbuster inks deal with WB, Sony, Fox
Pact includes day-and-date delivery of DVD rentals

By Paul Bond

April 7, 2010, 12:14 AM ET
Troubled Blockbuster has struck a deal giving Warner Bros., Sony and Fox a first lien on its Canadian assets in exchange for day-and-date delivery of DVD rentals for movies from those studios, as well as payment terms that are tweaked to favor Blockbuster up front.

The deal was announced late Tuesday after the closing bell on Wall Street. Blockbuster shares fell 7% during the regular session to 25 cents and gained a penny in after-hours trading.

Blockbuster is doing what it can to avoid bankruptcy, and studios seem eager to help out. Warners already had said it was giving Blockbuster movies 28 days before Netflix and Redbox and altering payment terms to relieve Blockbuster of some financial burden during the near term, while making it up to studios in the long term.

Now, Sony and Fox are following suit, though exact terms of the deal weren't made clear Tuesday.

"These positive signs of studio support are part of our overall recapitalization effort to drive top-line performance while reducing debt and operating costs at Blockbuster," Blockbuster CFO Tom Casey said. "This affirms our strong and collaborative business relations with these critical vendors."

The first two movies under Blockbuster's new arrangement with Warners were "The Blind Side" and "Sherlock Holmes."

Arrangements that guarantee Blockbuster can rent movies the day they go on sale are a big deal, given a trend of holding back new releases from Redbox and Netflix, the competitors that have contributed to the dire straits that have engulfed Blockbuster.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
IHBB Freak

if you dont understand kaw...this means that sony and fox are now exclusive to blockbuster for first 28 days as well...pickle
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
IHBB GOD

I looked up Kaw on Wikipedia it says a kaw is a sour little pickle that crumbles under pressure.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM
IHBB Freak

Kaw is a character in The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. He first appears in the second book of the series, The Black Cauldron, and plays a role in each of the following books. The final volume, The High King, contains a chapter from Kaw's point of view.

One of the most important non-human characters in the series, Kaw is a crow and was originally the pet of Gwystyl, a Fair Folk officer. He is subsequently given to the series' hero, Taran. Kaw can talk, although only in one-word sentences, and his role in the story is to give information, to spy out the land while flying and sometimes to retrieve lost objects from difficult places. He has a mischievous temperament, often playing tricks on his human friends and talking more freely than he should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaw_%28character%29

Unread April 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Kawliga is also a wooden indian from a Hank Williams song.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
if you dont understand kaw...this means that sony and fox are now exclusive to blockbuster for first 28 days as well...pickle
No, it doesn't mean that at all.... the only reason we are "exclusive" with WB for 28 days is because Netflix and Redbox signed deals with WB, it has nothing t do with our deal. In fact, any other brick and mortar wil carry WB titles, and they are also available On Demand.

It appears all this deal does is get us a better deal and more copies of Fox and Sony stuff... still great news for the company though.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM
IHBB Freak

Only weeks after Blockbuster signed a deal with Warner, the company has signed new agreements with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. It appears that the deals with the two studios companies will be similar to the Warner deal, which ensured that studio’s new titles would be available in Blockbuster stores and by mail the day they are released on DVD.

its bound to happen tho bez.
Unread April 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM
IHBB Freak

and yes of course they are available on demand..and in other mortar stores but for pretty much the same price..
Unread April 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM

I don't doubt that it will happen...but this deal means nothing in terms of exclusivity... the only way it happens is if/when Netflix/Redbox sign the deals, because neither Blockbuster, nor the studios can block Netflix or Redbox from renting their movies.
Unread April 7th, 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodavsjason View Post
Kawliga is also a wooden indian from a Hank Williams song.
Kawliga is on Lake Martin in central Alabama, the wooden indian (plaster now) stands outside the door to the resturaunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to gmp71270 For This Useful Post:
yodavsjason (April 7th, 2010)