I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundergurl007 View Post
Here we go again, my only question is... Why spend all the money on remodels and then close them 6 months later ?

It sucks but it's business
Not enough flow of money for advertisement. They need to more money for their projects (smaller stores, cell phones, dish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
How many will be left after that?
There trying to get it to 500 and thats it. Most likely its going to be 560
Unread January 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM

There's always some kind of excuse every time the next round of closings is announced as to why the closings are a "strategic move" and not simply a means to an end. The excuse is always supposed to sound like the closings are simply an expected part of their plan.

Let's do some simple math here... originally, Dish purchased, what, 1,800 stores? They immediately closed half of them and then, if I remember correctly, another 100 or so. That left around 800 stores, based on news reports. Over the last year, they closed more stores on an intermittent basis (I.e., one here, one there, etc.). So that left less than 800. Now, with 300 more stores closing, that will leave less than 500 stores. So let's say there are 480 stores left.

We all know that Dish plans to start-up their own wireless service, and that this is what they specifically bought the BB stores/brand for. But with less than 500 locations, how do they think they're going to compete with Verizon, Sprint, etc.?

I just did a quick Google search and learned that there are 2,330 Verizon stores and counting. What is Dish's miraculous plan for competing with these major players in the wireless game if they have only a fraction of the number of stores they have?

People will probably claim that Dish plans to open more BB stores in a year or two. But if a company has the opportunity to open completely new stores with customized branding, why would they choose to open up more BB locations? Because they actually think that people are more likely to want to pay for wireless service under the BB brand name than an original brand?
Unread January 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
There trying to get it to 500 and thats it. Most likely its going to be 560
I remember when they bought the company... all the rumors that they were going to knock it down to around 500. They made such a big deal that oh no we aren't gonna do that, we are keeping them all. They did that just to save face in the public eye while they planned all along to cut the stores back. Sucks, that's a lot of jobs lost.
johnlow71 (January 19th, 2013)
Unread January 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
IHBB GOD

They also brought a company out just for Blockbuster to use for their new computer systems. We are going to change out Computer systems too. So trimming off some stores that are not profitable. Is a good idea
Unread January 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
They also brought a company out just for Blockbuster to use for their new computer systems. We are going to change out Computer systems too. So trimming off some stores that are not profitable. Is a good idea
But where does the "trimming off some stores that are not profitable" end? You were one saying last year that they were only cutting out the bottom 15% of the stores that weren't profitable... even though stores closing were & they cut way more than that. Just curious is all.
Unread January 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM

As an aside, this thread (and the news item being discussed in it) makes a prime case for the continued existence of this site; if it wasn't for this forum, myself and other non-BB employees would have never found out about this recent round of closings since Dish is apparently keeping it on the "down-low" (I.e., not announcing it to media outlets).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (January 20th, 2013), inkedangel (January 20th, 2013)
Unread January 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedangel View Post
But where does the "trimming off some stores that are not profitable" end? You were one saying last year that they were only cutting out the bottom 15% of the stores that weren't profitable... even though stores closing were & they cut way more than that. Just curious is all.
Another good point to make -- how does Dish plan on competing with Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. when there are only ~500 BB stores left and their competitors each operate thousands of stores?
Unread January 20th, 2013, 05:37 AM
IHBB GOD

This will for sure be in news all over eith the next gee weeks if not days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 20th, 2013), inkedangel (January 20th, 2013)
Unread January 20th, 2013, 08:23 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Dude you been sipping on too much koolaid. They closed stores they could opt out the leases on, 100 of the 300 store had leases renewed with a kick out option. If you continue to close all your stores, and do not open a single new one, and dont say oh they did in Colorado, cause that's where the home office is, duh. Once they can opt out of the other 500 store leases, those too will be gone.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (January 20th, 2013), inkedangel (January 20th, 2013)
Unread January 20th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Does anyone have a list of the 300 closing stores?