I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
DJBlade, I'm not sure where you're getting that on demand/streaming rentals cost more than renting a movie for a night from BB. If you go to the page for Amazon Instant Video, you'll see that most videos are $3.99 to rent for 2 days, and a couple are $4.99 to rent for two days:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=AIVHPBB_...d_i=2858778011

Obviously, $3.99 for 2 days is a much better deal than $3.99 for 1 day, and you also don't have to spend time or gas money returning the movie to BB. You also don't have to worry about not returning it on time and being charged a late fee.

Somebody please tell me: if I can get a 2-day rental from Amazon for $4 or a 1-day rental from BB for $4, why on earth would I go to BB?

Also, here's another question... BB has been losing money for a year straight. Even if these price increases push them into profitable territory, that amount of profit probably won't be more than a couple million dollars per quarter. Is making a few extra million dollars here and there really that essential to Ergen? Wouldn't they be better off spending the time/money they're putting into (and losing) with BB on gaining more subscribers? Why are they so fascinated with keeping BB going?

If you go to comcast on demand its expensive, same with direct TV. Amazon is compeleting with them too. So of course their trying to lower their prices to complete. You ask why people don't just stream? Well its pretty easy lol. People Still watch their HDTV and not their computer. People don't say "hey lets watch a movie off my laptop! lol. Also most of blockbuster's customers are not tech savy yet... Some people try to avoid technology. lol

Think of it as Weed. Weed is slowly starting to become legal because slowly the old generation is dieing off and the newer generation is coming into power. If the newer generation believe weed is ok and they don't care about it.

Also physical disk is better HQ than demand.
Unread March 24th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
You ask why people don't just stream? Well its pretty easy lol. People Still watch their HDTV and not their computer. People don't say "hey lets watch a movie off my laptop! lol. Also most of blockbuster's customers are not tech savy yet... Some people try to avoid technology. lol

I know our on demand with cable is about the same price range as what Spice said with Amazon. I've gotten movies that way to watch and they are mostly for 2 days. They just tack it onto my bill when I do it. Still cheaper than running to a Blockbuster (not that we have any to run to around here). It's gotta be the koolaid making it seem like a good deal to you lol. Not all movies that can be ordered at home are just through streaming. And some of those "not tech savy" people are willing to wait to pay only a buck for the kiosk to get them rather than the 4 bucks (yes I know it's just over a buck now but just sayin... people don't mind waiting since redbox will have it for several bucks cheaper and it's more convenient than trying to run all over hell and gone to pay four bucks.
Unread March 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
If you go to comcast on demand its expensive, same with direct TV. Amazon is compeleting with them too. So of course their trying to lower their prices to complete. You ask why people don't just stream? Well its pretty easy lol. People Still watch their HDTV and not their computer. People don't say "hey lets watch a movie off my laptop! lol. Also most of blockbuster's customers are not tech savy yet... Some people try to avoid technology. lol

Think of it as Weed. Weed is slowly starting to become legal because slowly the old generation is dieing off and the newer generation is coming into power. If the newer generation believe weed is ok and they don't care about it.

That is a good point -- I do see a quite a few old folks going into the last local BB (which I still rent from because it's still the best option for games -- to me). But you know Dish is getting desperate when they are comparing the economics of store rentals to weed, LOL.

DJblade, since the site may or may not be winding down in just a few days, do you recall if there have been any statements made by Ergen in any conference calls or whatever where he discusses the future of BB? Or is he just taking it one step at a time?
Unread March 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicecake View Post
Djblade, Since The Site May Or May Not Be Winding Down In Just A Few Days, Do You Recall If There Have Been Any Statements Made By Ergen In Any Conference Calls Or Whatever Where He Discusses The Future Of Bb? Or Is He Just Taking It One Step At A Time?
Oh My God You Idiots Are So Fucking Delusional!!!!!!!!!
Unread March 24th, 2013, 08:28 PM
IHBB Freak

When will everyone in this thread stop asking Dj blade questions, hes obviously not that bright. Look most blockbuster stores are now 25-35 minutes away if not more from each customer, nobody is driving to the store for a 3.99 new release they can get from Amazon or somewhere else cheaper.

2. Spice dish is not opening anymore stores, they will dwindle them all down slowly, every week there are 10-15 more store beginning their liquidations, on april 21st a bunch more begin. They are sending closing banners and signage from closing stores to the stores that are staying open answer your question?

Dj has openly admitted he works for a store in colorado, that is why his store is still open, they just got a tax credit for having people employed there, and that is their home state. Simple answer for u spice is the FCC took too long approving the cell phone deal, Dish does not have a partner and does not want to invest billions in building their own towers, so now they do not need the stores. The 500 that are left, it was too expensive to get out of the clause of the lease, so until it is time to close them milk the store for whatever money you can.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 25th, 2013)
Unread March 24th, 2013, 08:43 PM

Oh, I know that the remaining 500 stores will close eventually -- I don't actually believe that Dish plans to operate them for the long-term or to open anymore stores. I was just asking DJblade what Dish's latest and greatest "ambitions" are, since he still works for BB. In other words, I know it's all a load of crap... I'm simply curious to read how Dish is wording it. I just want to hear/read some of the fantasy talk they're spouting these days.
Unread March 25th, 2013, 04:43 AM
IHBB Freak

A theory some of us are having is that Dish is jacking up prices just so BBV will hemorrhage less cash until it comes time to shut the whole operation down (4th quarter?).

Family Video now has more stores than Blockbuster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 25th, 2013), inkedangel (March 25th, 2013)
Unread March 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
A theory some of us are having is that Dish is jacking up prices just so BBV will hemorrhage less cash until it comes time to shut the whole operation down (4th quarter?).

Family Video now has more stores than Blockbuster.
Family Video is still opening new stores as well. They've slowed down compared to how they were rolling out new ones 5/6 years ago but still opening new ones none the less.

My husband and I are hoping that towards the beginning of the year, we may be able to pull off getting started and opening our own store since there really isn't much around to go get stuff.
sarge (March 25th, 2013)
Unread March 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM

So howcome Family Video and independent stores are able to make the store model work, but BB can't? Is it just too hard to manage in a corporate manner where every store has to earn millions of dollars just to be profitable?
Unread March 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
So howcome Family Video and independent stores are able to make the store model work, but BB can't? Is it just too hard to manage in a corporate manner where every store has to earn millions of dollars just to be profitable?
because dish didnt care to try to make it profitable, they were more concerned about getting the FCC stuff.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (March 25th, 2013)