I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Promoting from within..

Alright, so as ive seen it (atleast in my area) most of our SM's come from current ASM's, I mean we've had one or two that were hired from outside, but most are trained and promoted from the inside... anyway my question is, if you 'rise through the ranks' in one district (if that makes any sense) would it be possible to, when you get promoted, get a store thats located in another place?

reason im asking is...ill be getting bumped to ASM soon hopefully, and my SM said I could have my own store in a year (im not holding my breath though, I can imagine how the system works) but id really like to get a store thats near the beach (since thats where I ideally want to live). However the nearest beach is like 3 Hours from here....basically what im wondering, is how would I go about getting a store down there when they decide im ready to be promoted...do I just look on the website, and apply for SM positions in/near that area?

sorry for the wall of text...but im just curious as to how this works!
Unread January 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
IHBB GOD

blockbuster is big on promoting from within. it costs less to train someone that way. plus that person already has a wealth of knowledge about the company and its policies.

proper standard for being a SM is going into the SMIT program. there are modules and levels of training involved. once you are through the program, if there is a store available, you would go right in. if not, you would go back to being a SAM until a position opens up. the other instance is if you are the SAM in a store that loses a SM. its up to the DM to decided if they want to put you on a stretch and let you run it as a SAM or promote you up. if you are promoted up, you are given an allotted amount of time to complete your training.

if you are planning to relocate, job postings are sent via compass once or twice a week. you can also check the blockbuster intranet. job listings are posted there also. Some DM's are skeptical to take a transfering SM. Because they are never sure what they are going to get. But it does happen. I would caution you to not tell the DM you have the intention of transfering because they might not want to waste the payroll to promote and train you just to give you up to someone else.
Unread January 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM

In my district and region the SMIT program is only for external hires. We have training plans in place for SAMs and the DM and I do interviews to see how employees are progressing. As a side note I would promote several SAMs in our district today over nearly anyone from the surrounding areas not based on competence but based on our distinct culture of always trying to be the best.
Unread January 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
IHBB Freak

Sar has almost 7,000 more posts than I do ...
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread January 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
IHBB GOD

I'm personally against someone becoming a Store Manager through any other way than by being promoted from within. From what i've experienced/witnessed over the past couple of years, SM's who the company hires externally tend to, well, suck. I've seen three be fired within six months, one of which was my very own SM.

My new SM has been with the company for seven years and so far is the best thing since sliced bread (at my store, anyway). Basically, I don't think a SAM, SL, or CSR should have to be training their SM; it should be the other way around.
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread January 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
blockbuster is big on promoting from within. it costs less to train someone that way. plus that person already has a wealth of knowledge about the company and its policies.
plus by promoting from within they can ensure that you get paid less than a store manager that was hired as one. they'll be like, ok here's your 15% raise (meanwhile joe SMIT is making 50% more than you, and still has trouble remembering to settle the daily, and use the right kind of credits).
Unread January 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
IHBB GOD

It all depends - I've seen some people promoted from within who sucked as Store Manager, where I've also seen some people who were promoted from outside and were great as Store Manager. Depends on the person.

Plus, I was just hired from outside of a different company as Store Manager, and I know I'll rock it!

- Felicity
Unread January 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Heaven View Post
It all depends - I've seen some people promoted from within who sucked as Store Manager, where I've also seen some people who were promoted from outside and were great as Store Manager. Depends on the person.

Plus, I was just hired from outside of a different company as Store Manager, and I know I'll rock it!
Congratulations!!!

MOM
Unread January 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Transfer to the area you want to be promoted in now as whatever you are. After your a SM the RDO in whatever area it is your looking at can deny it, if its in the same Region whatever DM it is might not want you. Also The DM that promoted you might be a bit ticked you left.
Unread January 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to justanotherworker
Actually, from what I have seen, BB actually likes when their managers want to better themselves. That includes being hungry enough to want to move