I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Blockbuster Discriminating against the ugly??

Okay, I've kept quiet about this for a while, but it's bothering me to the point where I have to ask if anyone else see's this.

So a girlfriend of mine wanted to move up into a management position from CSR, and is very qualified to do so, upon discussion with the DM I was shocked to hear that she would only be considered if she "made herself look presentable by losing weight, wearing some makeup, and doing something with her hair". To top it off this is not nearly the only occasion when I've heard of something like this.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not attractive, not because I don't try to be, more because I was just born ugly (bad skin/pale/various things not overweight or anything under my control). But I feel like this may be what has actually prevented me from moving up, and before anyone tells me that surely is not the case, I can attest to atleast this district being discriminatory in many ways, and in many ways not illegal.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Yeah it sucks, but in most places, not at all illegal.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM

ive never heard of that. though, im sure it does happen. you want your management to appear professional. hair is 1 thing, weight is another. im sorry for your experience.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Actually I believe it's important for certain levels of management to go a little more out of their way to look more presentable. I don't think it's a matter of "ugliness," it's a matter of taking care of certain aspects of oneself. Should one be denied a position simply because of poor self presentation? No, but I can see how it could hurt one's chances, especially when competing for the position with someone else who takes more value in "making their hair pretty" or even just using makeup.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
IHBB GOD

If you can't take care of yourself, one could hardly expect you to take care of a store.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
bthbr4 (July 28th, 2009), charlied72 (July 28th, 2009), PilotKelson1056 (July 29th, 2009), redfay (July 28th, 2009)
Unread July 28th, 2009, 09:28 AM
IHBB Freak

I'm not a perfect weight, and my hair is plain, I don't wear my clothes too tight like some people I work with who they THINK they're attractive, but if you can't at least look semi-professional, whats the point? Who will take you seriously. Confidence should be the utmost first step...and sometimes, being happy about how you look...the confidence will come soon there after.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenonce View Post
Okay, I've kept quiet about this for a while, but it's bothering me to the point where I have to ask if anyone else see's this.

So a girlfriend of mine wanted to move up into a management position from CSR, and is very qualified to do so, upon discussion with the DM I was shocked to hear that she would only be considered if she "made herself look presentable by losing weight, wearing some makeup, and doing something with her hair". To top it off this is not nearly the only occasion when I've heard of something like this.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not attractive, not because I don't try to be, more because I was just born ugly (bad skin/pale/various things not overweight or anything under my control). But I feel like this may be what has actually prevented me from moving up, and before anyone tells me that surely is not the case, I can attest to atleast this district being discriminatory in many ways, and in many ways not illegal.
it's all about how your carry your self. If your not confedent about your self and the job you do you won't move up. When ever I'm at work I always look the best I can, hair styled, clean clothes not worn out. I think the dm worded his statment wrong but you can't be sluppy and repersent blockbuster.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlied72 For This Useful Post:
BBukAM (July 28th, 2009)
Unread July 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
IHBB GOD

Also I have doubts that the DM actually said "lose weight and wear makeup". Something else was probably said from which this was inferred.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
IHBB GOD

i work with an obese employee who has been working at my store for longer than anybody else has. he's the customer favorite, he's professional, kind and knows a lot more than the rest of us.

he hasn't been promoted once. the managers trust him with manager duties often but never have spoken of giving him a promotion. not even a raise. all the managers at my store are rather thin and attractive, but none of them have as much experience as my other coworker. he has a really timid personality so perhaps that's why he never really bothered to ask for the position (trust me, we really need part time MODs). but even if he did, would my SM do it? i kind of doubt it.
Unread July 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM

there's quite a few obese managers in my area. One is a store manager and one is a shift leader. I think it depends on the DM. If you are qualified, but overweight, that is no reason to not get the position. However, i have overheard other store managers say that they only want to hire attractive people because they tend to get more sales. I dont know. its a blurry line.