I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 2nd, 2011, 07:23 AM
IHBB GOD

dish network and stuff

im too busy at the moment to look over the 1,000 threads on this subject and on a borrowed internet source.

any news on when we start carrying kiosk and selling dish packages, thanks jlow................
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM

Dish: Blockbuster Store Survival Up to Studios2 May, 2011

By: Erik Gruenwedel

Executives say studios will determine if Blockbuster goes exclusively digital or remains a hybrid business with physical discs.

Newly announced Blockbuster LLC president Michael Kelly May 2 said the future of more than 1,700 Blockbuster stores depends on whether studios continue to believe in the traditional brick-and-mortar business model.

During a conference call, Kelly and Dish CEO Charlie Ergen said the final number of stores to remain operational is unknown and would be better defined over the next 90 days after executives sort through outstanding lease agreements and related issues.

“We’re still evaluating them,” Kelly said, adding that about 370 stores were deemed profitable following the acquisition last month.“From my perspective, a lot depends on the studio presence,” Ergen said. “If that’s what they want, there are a lot of reasons to keep [the stores] open.”

Kelly said the Blockbuster acquisition represents myriad new points of purchase opportunities for consumers. He said Blockbuster By Mail and Blockbuster On Demand offered “tremendous” brands going forward.

“We think there might be some synergies with the Dish business, it could make sense for us,” he said. “We also think there still is business in the physical market … we’ll have to see what the studious think … we’re not sure

Indeed, consummation of the $320 million acquisition of Blockbuster includes Dish paying the major studios about 75% of what monies they are owed, in addition to the studios continuing to ship product cash-on-delivery. Lionsgate has filed a complaint alleging its revenue-sharing deals were not included in the final agreement.

Ergen countered recent comments by Netflix CEO Reed Hastings that a Blockbuster streaming service was forthcoming.

“I don’t see us as a competitor to Netflix directly in streaming,” he said. “They have a formidable and insurmountable lead in that.”

Ergen, who operates his businesses as somewhat of a maverick, likened the Blockbuster acquisition and recent $1 billion purchase of wireless provider DBSD North America Inc., as offensive strategies aimed at mixing up the status quo. Borrowing from popular culture, Ergen characterized the moves as elements in a Seinfeld TV episode (“a show about nothing”) or NFL trade that might or might not make sense down the road.

Ergen said that with control of Blockbuster operations, Dish can hopefully end the company’s negative pre-tax earnings and right the ship.

“We’ll try to spend money smartly,” he said. “We bought the company for basically its liquidation value. Not a big risk in terms of total company. Not everything ends up being the fit you thought it would be. It’s upon us to develop those assets.”

Regardless, Ergen said he would likely miss Dish's next fiscal call due to vacation commitments to his family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustTheFacts For This Useful Post:
Backer Card (May 2nd, 2011), Big Dog (May 3rd, 2011), johnlow71 (May 3rd, 2011)
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
IHBB Freak

Here we go...
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheFacts View Post
“We’ll try to spend money smartly,” he said. “We bought the company for basically its liquidation value. Not a big risk in terms of total company. Not everything ends up being the fit you thought it would be. It’s upon us to develop those assets.”
Looks like their accountants finally started looking at the balance sheets.

Once again, Dish has bought you employees some time. Keep looking for other jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
D Money (May 2nd, 2011)
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM

As it's been stated so many times in the past, and exactly why Hollywood Video and Blockbuster died (or dying):

People don't want to pay $5-$6 to rent a movie. They don't want to wait in line for 5-15 minutes. They don't want to drive to a far off location. They don't want to get there and find the movie is not in stock.

Redbox is $1 - $1.50. Netflix is what, $11 a month for 1 out at a time? The B&M idea is not going to last. If BB only found 1/5th of their stores still one as profitable,. they are going to close a shit ton of them. You guys really think Dish spent $320 million to lose money?
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
IHBB GOD

BTW, you guys should check this out:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/d...e-dvr-lawsuit/

Dish Network dishing out $500 million? you better BELIEVE they're gonna start doing some mad liquidations.

emergency inventories? more like "evaluate my property, bitch!"

=3
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (May 3rd, 2011)
Unread May 2nd, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
BTW, you guys should check this out:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/d...e-dvr-lawsuit/

Dish Network dishing out $500 million? you better BELIEVE they're gonna start doing some mad liquidations.

emergency inventories? more like "evaluate my property, bitch!"
Yeah, such devasting news. 1st Quarter profit doubles and their stock shoots up almost 20% in one day. They are really treading water now. Unreal!
Unread May 3rd, 2011, 02:34 PM

I'm with ya BB in this whole crazy fiasco we're working under, but one has to keep in mind that DISH is doing fine. DISH is going to continue to do well. However, from a BB employee point of view, I haven't seen/heard much to give me a lot of confidence about the stores. Hope that changes. I do like Mike Kelly so far and I don't think he is gonna sugarcoat things like the former "douchebag extraordinaires" Keys and Dunlap have done.
Unread May 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM
IHBB GOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMk5GWvlks
Unread May 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
IHBB GOD

cant wait to start selling, please give us commish.........
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
muthaflippin (May 5th, 2011)