I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
Antithysis > blockbuster
Antithyis < hot head

Not to be a dick but you worked somewhere for 17 years and wasn't a store manager ever?
Hey, I did 12 years and never was a SM. Was offered many times but turned it down, saw way to much shit they had to go through.
The top Poster!
Unread April 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM

I've been 2 years... most I got was ASM "training" so far, but there aren't any of those, so...

F me.
Unread April 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Member formerly known as Lycanthor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post

When the store's front door was locked for the final time on Sunday, I placed this sign on it...
Ummm... handwritten signs are not allowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuspectRoll For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 13th, 2011)
Unread April 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Thank you for this. I'd like to point out the fact that it is obvious in reading this that you won. You were able to look back at something and find yourself in every single solitary moment. Many of us who were either asked to leave (by store closing) or chose to quit (by metaphorically shoving our keys up someone's ass) cannot make that same claim. We may not have been beaten, but we surely did not win.

Whether or not we want to admit it, any time that we devote a significant period of our lives to one endeavor, it becomes a part of us, of who we are and in some small way (or not so small) it changes us. I can still remember standing behind the counter at the second store that I worked at the day my (then boyfriend) husband called me and told me he'd unceremoniously quit his job. I remember standing behind that same counter when I got the phone call that the store manager at the store I'd worked at previously had died the night before.

I remember countless nights of something wholly inappropriate playing over the instore tv's while we all sat on the floor at 3 am scanning endless rows of movies (back when you had to do inventory every month). I remember HATING having to straighten the kids section during the days of VHS and 1,000's of different Olsen Twins movies. I remember watching the game section on the security cameras just waiting for that scuzzy kid to just do what we all knew he was going to do and shove the amaray down his pants.

Thank you for bearing this part of your soul for us. It may sound cheesy but the emotions you felt were raw and the emotions you've inspired in me are as well. Through you and your sharing of this, I've been able to actually look back with a measure of fondness at my time behind that counter.

And when you ARE ready to turn that page and get on with the next chapter of your life, remember that if you can look back at the last 11 years with this amount of reverence, anything that lies ahead of you will be just as moving and just as emotional and just as memorable. And that will be because of what YOU bring to it, and what you take away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psycoma For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (April 13th, 2011), Big Dog (April 13th, 2011), FZappa (April 13th, 2011), Spohiesmom2008 (April 13th, 2011), SuspectRoll (April 12th, 2011)
Unread April 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockbusterLuvsU View Post
Were you ever a store manager for BBV? I did it for a little while and it was awful, and they pay you in peanuts. I don't recommend it to ANYONE.
Nor would I recommend the SAM position. Same problems as SM, less respect, less money, and about the same responsibility. The only thing I didn't do that my former SM did was when we had a break-in, he was the one who got the call. Otherwise, all the same shit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost of AtlanticVamp For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 13th, 2011)
Unread April 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Ill let you know veruka volunteered to work it
Trust me, if someone considers it "work" then they don't know what they're doing...

Last edited by Veruka_Salt; April 13th, 2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: To avoid an NC-17 rating
The Following User Says Thank You to Veruka_Salt For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (April 13th, 2011)
Unread April 13th, 2011, 04:25 AM

It's a sad thing. As much as I hate BBI now, I'm for some reason still sad about the fact that today will be my last day at my store. I'm almost 31 now and I've been there since I was 21, so I have a lot of memories.

Honestly though, I wish I didn't have to work this last shift. I really just want to be done with it.

Last edited by TelePizza; April 13th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Unread April 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
I know at one point Anti had some personal "issues". (Don't know if he wants me sharing). So that may be why he never moved up. He also may have had another job.
He worked there for 10 years at 32+ hours a week. I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
I made a similar manifesto post last summer for my tenth anniversary, wherein I briefly talked about why I didn't seek/was granted promotion. In short, by the time I had both the will and the means to seek promotion, the only qualification of importance was one's sales record.
Do give the link for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Hey, I did 12 years and never was a SM. Was offered many times but turned it down, saw way to much shit they had to go through.
If your their for that long why not make a career out of it? Why not move up from SM to DM after some ass kissing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of AtlanticVamp View Post
Nor would I recommend the SAM position. Same problems as SM, less respect, less money, and about the same responsibility. The only thing I didn't do that my former SM did was when we had a break-in, he was the one who got the call. Otherwise, all the same shit.
I don't think one could make enough money if this wa their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
Trust me, if someone considers it "work" then they don't know what they're doing...
Then you need to come and give me a dissertation.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread April 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
He worked there for 10 years at 32+ hours a week. I highly doubt it.

A lot of people work more than 1 FT job these days. Maybe not Anti, but it does happen. Also I didn't say BBV was his second job.
Unread April 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
A lot of people work more than 1 FT job these days. Maybe not Anti, but it does happen. Also I didn't say BBV was his second job.
I assumed you were referring that blockbuster is his main one and he had a secound job.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.