I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to princess_cupcake17
Could use some advice..

I had an issue with another employee at work today, and would really appreciate some advice on what to do. Here's what happened.
I am a 4-star CSR, the other employee is a shift lead.

I was due to be off work by 4:30 this afternoon, we always have an overlap of half an hour for shift huddles, but we aren't suppose to stay the full half an hour unless absolutely necessary. This means that the SL should have been in by four. She wasn't there. At 4:10, I called. No answer. I left a voicemail, "This is PrincessCupcake, I was just wondering if you were on your way. Schedule says that you were to be in at 4:00, but you're not here yet, please call me back." She did not return my call. At 4:55, I called again, no answer. "SL, this is PrincessCupcake again. It's about five till five. Where are you? You were suppose to be here at four." She finally called back a couple minutes later, "What do you want? Why are you calling me?" I explained once again, that she was suppose to be in at four. "Well, I'm on my way. Downtown, almost on the bridge. But that's wrong, I'm not due in till five." (If she was almost on the bridge, I should have seen her less that five minutes later). She finally shows up at 5:10, which is late, even if she was scheduled in at five. She comes in, and looks, "Oh, well, I guess I was suppose to be here at four, but SM never schedules me for then, so I was doing other stuff. It's not my fault."

This same exact thing happened on Friday, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you misread the schedule once, shouldn't you double check for the rest of the week?

This SL is late every time she works, literally every time. Anywhere from ten minutes, to over an hour. My SM says that it's okay, because she works a second job, however, if she misreads the schedule and is suppose to be in at six, and shows up ten minutes after five, shes early, but then she chooses to leave, and doesn't show up again till quarter after six. So, my SM sees that she is continuously late, yet chooses not to do anything about it. If the rest of us are even so much as five minutes late, we get reprimanded. What should I do? I shouldn't have to cancel plans just because she can't be bothered to show up on time, should I? I should be able to make plans, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM

its not ok if she works another job and cant balance them properly. I would call the sl out in front of the sm.
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
IHBB GOD

If she can't be there on time, and hasn't cleared it beforehand (with you being informed so you can get out of there on time), she needs to be written up, as a prelude to termination (unless she changes the behaviour)

I am guessing that she never has someone relieve her, because a simple (if passive aggressive) answer would be to stick her with waiting on someone. Or make your SM get his arse in there to cover when she is late. If he has to do that more than once, trust me, things will change.

--Helena Bonham Carter
The Following User Says Thank You to OzMan For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 24th, 2011)
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM

As I see it there are two issues.

First, your store manager doesn't know how to properly schedule people. If he/she is aware of this employee having another job, he/she should allow with their scheduling sufficient time for this employee to show up on time.

Secondly, having another job had nothing to do with the excuse you said she provided. You stated she told you she "had things" she had to do.

My advice would be to schedule a sit down with your store manager. I would explain to your store manager both issues I have outlined above and how it effects you. I would also explain to your SM that you do not feel he/she is treating the two of you the same since you stated you get reprimanded if you or another employee is so much as one minute late.

If your discussion with your SM does not bring about the proper response, then I would make a log of any written or verbal warnings you have received for being tardy and the dates and times of this employee's tardiness. After you have facts to back up your claims, I would contact either your DM or HR with your concerns.

As BB482 has stated in another thread, you need specific examples of why something is wrong and specifics on how they have effected you. If you don't have these things you come across as a complainer and are less likely to be taken seriously and having anything done about it.
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM

Look I understand your frustration.

I've been screwed with like this on a couple of occasions. One I remember is that a person didn't show up at all and I stupidly worked a double.

You want some payback...here ya go..

You can listen to 112233 and be all correct about doing things....

OOOORRRRRR

You can get this person back in your own way.

Next time you have to relieve this person...fuck it...show up an hour late. SL asks you to cover a shift...say you have things to do.

Better yet, don't check in a Goddamn thing all day and leave her with the day's returns. That works best on a Monday, but it is effective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freemason220 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 24th, 2011), its_me_ASM69 (March 23rd, 2011)
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
IHBB GOD

On a side note... If my friend told me that they wanted to set me up on a blind-date with someone who calls them-self "princess_cupcake17" I would be down for that in a heart-beat!!
Unread March 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to BBW[BlockBusterWorker] Send a message via Skype™ to BBW[BlockBusterWorker]
I would go to my DM/HR about it.

When I first started working for BBV in 07 there was a shift lead I worked with who came in 3 hours late. She would also wind up taking a 2 hour break during shift leaving me by myself for that time on my first week on the job. My SM didn't care at all, and kept calling me a snitch for complaining about it. Luckily she got fired for stealing when we got a new SM.

Please join me in converting all your copies of the Riddick Trilogy as so.
Unread March 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Bad attendance pisses me off more than anything else. I've given 3 writtens to SL's in the last month for it. If I can't trust them to be on time, then they don't get hours. One kid who works for me had 7 lates in 3 weeks, and found himself with a single 1-5 shift on the 4th week. That got his attention. He's now early every day. The staff know I check the timecards against the schedules every Monday to verify when they showed up. It's a very effective method for ensuring they arrive on time and take the issue seriously.

To address your issue with the SM not appearing to care....go to the DM. Send them an email outlining times and dates, keep it factual and leave emotion out of it. Guaranteed you will get a response quickly. You might not hear about it for a few days while he/she deals with the SM. Good luck... I know how frustrating that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaSmurf For This Useful Post:
Woodstock (March 25th, 2011)
Unread March 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
IHBB GOD

holy shit 4-stars still exist??!!

=3
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
charlied72 (March 24th, 2011)
Unread March 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
holy shit 4-stars still exist??!!