I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread December 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Not Being Given Breaks Or Lunches?

I currently employed by blockbuster now I am a shift lead have worked here on and off for 10 years for the last 2 years we have had 2 different managers and tonight was the night I have had enough I have been scheduled 8 to 9 hours shifts for over 2 years and sometimes I work doubles because people call in tonight I needed a break so could eat something the manager refused to let go get something he was on the phone with computer support but could not have called them back later and given me 15 minutes to eat at this time i had already been on register for over 6 hours straight drop was done and ran sold over 700 dollars myself got rewards and sold rental bundles this was the first time I had asked because I was faint and stomach was growling to me was unbelievable that I could go we were understaffed because one employee who always calls in and has autocharges to account never been written up the manager comes up to me from back tells me in front of customers that if I give him attitude again he was going to write me up I told him I was going to lunch and would not be back tonight this was almost 8 pm I was scheduled off at 9 he says i am going to have to write you up anyway i said ok if you want to write me up for going to lunch fine. I am not signing it he said whatever I hope he tries to fire me I already contacted equal opportunity and hotlined incident called dm fire me I will get back pay and more for every shift I worked 8 or more hours with no lunch not my fault they dont schedule so people can get breaks required by law.
Anyone have simliar instances willing to start lawsuit so we can get what we deserve. I believe wallmart had some similar problem which led to class action suit.

Sincerely Are You Kidding Me?
Unread December 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM

As long as you're being paid your premiums, there's not much you can do.
Unread December 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM

No i never have a problem... if i think i will need a break i always tell the other managers beforehand so that they are prepared....
Unread December 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Your post is hard to read because of your run-on sentences and lack of line breaks. It sounds like the gist of it is you were busy and not enough people were working, so your manager (SM I take it) said no break. Unless they clocked you out for one and you were working off the clock or you live in California where the laws are super strict, I don't think there's much you can do.

We never double up management at my store. If I feel like I need something to eat because I'm getting light-headed or something, I just buy a candy bar and eat in the back for a couple minutes. It's not really a big deal. If it's too busy, I'll do without until it dies.
Unread December 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
IHBB GOD

I like how he complains about a lack of breaks by typing a 300-word run-on sentence.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
abhorrent scowl (December 29th, 2009), BUYMECAR (December 29th, 2009)
Unread December 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM

The only time I get a true break is when I am working with another manager. Other then that I can be on my feet for a whole shift without anything to eat, or I eat up front off to the side if I order something or if im with a CSR that will go get me something to eat. Other then that you shit-out-of-luck

Last edited by shay; December 28th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Unread December 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM
IHBB GOD

this is the funniest post in a while. it's just so ironic LOL

honestly, just start being more friendly with CSRs so that they're more delighted into taking a food trip for you while they're on their break. if you're an elitist prick, use friends/family members to get you food while at work. EASY DO!
Unread December 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM

I guess this means we're not starting a lawsuit....lol
Unread December 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
IHBB GOD

The top Poster!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
katiebell (December 29th, 2009), Ninja (December 30th, 2009), yodavsjason (December 29th, 2009)
Unread December 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Personally I would rather not take a break unless I am made to, we always have so much to do breaks and meals just put me behind further.