I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Movie/Music/TV Talk

Unread July 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoslave23 View Post
No, I was more into the club scene. If this guy is the guy that i just googled it looks like he was more into private parties, like barmitsvas( spelling??), weddings, etc. Anyways, never heard of him. I have to say, though, i really miss playing out. I just noticed my brother has a youtube clip on his myspace of him playing for a live croud, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzE3_Lyt4A singing his new "hardcore sound" track. I'm not that fond of the track, not really my style, but the crowd seemed to be enjoying it. I miss rocking out in front of tons of people. Maybe someday i'll get back into it. For now, it's just me and my basement.

Edit: Oh yeah, to the OP. The music I grew up on was stuff like Crass, Conflict, Subhumans, Schwatzenigger, The Queers, Operation Ivy, Citizen Fish, Bouncing Souls, Weston, 2.5 Children inc., Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, The Specials, NOFX, Propaghandi, .... basically stuff that now is popular on the WARPED tour, but before they "sold out".
i have heard of TWO of those bands...damn. i need to get out more.
Unread July 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
No, I was more into the club scene. If this guy is the guy that i just googled it looks like he was more into private parties, like barmitsvas( spelling??), weddings, etc. Anyways, never heard of him. I have to say, though, i really miss playing out. I just noticed my brother has a youtube clip on his myspace of him playing for a live croud, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzE3_Lyt4A singing his new "hardcore sound" track. I'm not that fond of the track, not really my style, but the crowd seemed to be enjoying it. I miss rocking out in front of tons of people. Maybe someday i'll get back into it. For now, it's just me and my basement.
We worked together during the disco era, broke many tracks here in the club we worked at. Reunited was one of them, so it tells you it was waaay back. There wouldn't be much about the club stuff, it was way before the internet. Heck, I even married the other dj ... lol It was a wonderful time of my life, and I miss it, too. I have been thinking about going back. I have an open offer to return. For me, I only do private family stuff now. Hilarious when I did a bachelorette party for one of my friends and I heard comments that I sounded like a real dj ... tee hee hee
Unread July 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
We worked together during the disco era, broke many tracks here in the club we worked at. Reunited was one of them, so it tells you it was waaay back. There wouldn't be much about the club stuff, it was way before the internet. Heck, I even married the other dj ... lol It was a wonderful time of my life, and I miss it, too. I have been thinking about going back. I have an open offer to return. For me, I only do private family stuff now. Hilarious when I did a bachelorette party for one of my friends and I heard comments that I sounded like a real dj ... tee hee hee
Disco era?? Lol, yeah, a bit before my time.
Unread July 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Edit: Oh yeah, to the OP. The music I grew up on was stuff like Crass, Conflict, Subhumans, Schwatzenigger, The Queers, Operation Ivy, Citizen Fish, Bouncing Souls, Weston, 2.5 Children inc., Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, The Specials, NOFX, Propaghandi, .... basically stuff that now is popular on the WARPED tour, but before they "sold out".
I have two friends that were/are in weston. They got back together recently. James is in a band Cordova and I only know him through Chris Benner from Digger. But, we've come to be pretty good friends. Chris also used to be in Weston way back when.

When i was in college, I got to interview Jesse Michaels, it was really cool. He was really fun and got us into the Plea for Peace show for free.

That's all my namedropping for today.

As for what you should download, it depends on what you like.

If your asking what my favorite music is, I'd say my favorite bands are Digger and Leatherface. But if you are looking for more rock and roll stuff, there creme de la creme is Elvis and Buddy Holly. Also love the stones, kinks, who, zep, etc. If you're into heavy metal, I like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Anthrax.

Classic punk rock is great if you are a fan of rockabilly (you know, the real rock and roll), MC5, the Stooges, Ramones, Clash. I personally love the buzzcocks.

I was a big bon jovi fan when I was growing up and still am. But, the 80s were loaded with great bands. The Mats and Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Pixies, I could list bands all day. That's a good start for alt rock though.

Grunge, well, just get the big bands, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins, the first three STP albums.

90s alt rock/power pop I always go for Better than Ezra. Everclear is one of my favorite bands of all time. I really like Skiploader too.

If you like your music heavy but still accessible, the Deftones are great. I like the first two rage against the machine albums.

If you're into the Lilith fair thing, I really like Tegan and Sarah. I also like Aqua and Prozzak as far as great pop bands go.

Punk rock nowadays, if you're into that, I love Alkaline Trio, Blink-182, Dillinger Four, stuff like that. I am a real fan of melodic hardcore punk. I love skate punk, but I'm more into the stuff that was ripping off husker du. Jawbreaker and Leatherface primarily, but there are tons of great bands out there playing it.

I could probably list all day, but it more depends on what you like to listen to.

Last edited by powerbait; July 18th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Unread July 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbait View Post
I have two friends that were/are in weston. They got back together recently. James is in a band Cordova and I only know him through Chris Benner from Digger. But, we've come to be pretty good friends. Chris also used to be in Weston way back when.

When i was in college, I got to interview Jesse Michaels, it was really cool. He was really fun and got us into the Plea for Peace show for free.

That's all my namedropping for today.
I think Weston was one of my favorite bands in high school. I loved seeing them live. They were the kings of melodic pop punk themed around being the fat kid on the bus or the kid that no one wanted to talk to. I loved songs like, "I got a new shirt, I got a new shirt, and my mom says I look real handsome in it.........Heather Lewis...Heather Lewis....." Also, "I feel like dying".

Damn, i heard they got back together but i didn't know if it was just a rumor. If they hadn't broken up, I think they could have made millions. They had the Weezer/Buddy Holly appeal, but they were fast tempo and cool as shit. I'd really like to see them play again.

Edit: I just found their myspace. http://www.myspace.com/westonrockspa I'm kind of sad that chuck's not in the band anymore, but hey, life goes on. I guess he just played a show with them, but of course i'm a day late and $5 too short.

Last edited by videoslave23; July 21st, 2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: myspace
Unread July 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM

I am thinking of driving up to Allentown (about an 8-9 hour drive from here) to see Capitol Radio and Cordova in concert on the 26th of August.