I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
IHBB Freak

Wow...

A guy had been coming into our store for a little over two years now. He'd become a regular, a little on the crabby side when reminded of restocking fees and whatnot but otherwise as friendly as can be. He was a little slow, but not like idiot slow, more like he was getting on in the years and was more or less living like a retiree-- no rush, no big hurry, no real obligations. He'd come in frequently at night, and as the ASM I'm usually working the 35 hours during night shifts and would be the employee he interacted with the most. And then, after seeing him every day for those couple of years, I didn't see him in almost two weeks.

Flash forward to today. His wife comes in about fifteen minutes before closing. She asks for me, and I walk up to the counter. She tells me that her husband loved the experience of coming in, renting movies, and chatting about them with me, but that sadly he'd passed away the week prior. I was a little stunned, but it was what happened next that blew me away: She handed me a check for $100, with a note in the memo field saying "For your kindness and patience". I'm leaving out a few details for the sake of a quicker read, but to summarize: He loved it enough that his wife thought of me when reminiscing about some of his happier times and thought to come in and say thank you, especially in an unexpectedly financial way.

I didn't know what to say, and I still don't, but I'm really touched by it, and it's things like this that, despite the assholes and naysayers, make me really enjoy my job. I was touched.

So I'm going to have to kick this old broad's ass if this check bounces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (October 7th, 2009), djblade (October 15th, 2009), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (October 11th, 2009), johnlow71 (October 8th, 2009), turtletime (October 11th, 2009), yodavsjason (October 8th, 2009)
Unread October 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
So I'm going to have to kick this old broad's ass if this check bounces.
LOL

forget framing it for the sentimental value =P

i had a regular that was really as much as a movie freak as me. he really understood me. he was on the movie pass and was plenty old enough to be a retiree. really funny guy. when he stopped coming in months ago, i got worried. called his home phone one night after talking to a coworker and all it was: netflix. he had a good laugh. he came in one night and picked on me.
Unread October 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM

There's an old guy (probably in his 80s) that comes in almost every day, and there was about three months he didn't come in and we started getting worried.
But he started showing up again, as crabby as ever.
Unread October 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
IHBB GOD

Touching....but it wont matter anymore as soon as they close your store.
Unread October 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM
IHBB GOD

At least they tried Kaw, instead of getting fired .............
The top Poster!

Last edited by zooworker; October 10th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
DavidNewlySL (October 11th, 2009), johnlow71 (October 11th, 2009), turtletime (October 11th, 2009), Xtreme Rebel (October 11th, 2009)
Unread October 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
IHBB GOD

There are a billion people who come in and make our lives miserable. There are a precious few who balance it out all by themselves.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
almondSM (October 11th, 2009), Dark.Riley (October 11th, 2009), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (October 11th, 2009), johnlow71 (October 11th, 2009), turtletime (October 11th, 2009), Xtreme Rebel (October 11th, 2009), yodavsjason (October 11th, 2009), zooworker (October 11th, 2009)
Unread October 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
There are a billion people who come in and make our lives miserable. There are a precious few who balance it out all by themselves.
So true. They make it a great place.
Unread October 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
IHBB Freak

Wow. That's a touching story. And here I thought that the nice lady who bought me a pack of M&M's was a good egg.

Seriously, that's sweet.
Unread October 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM

How endearing and considerate.

But you didn't really take the money did you?
Unread October 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
IHBB Freak

Nope. Actually, the check is still sitting in my wallet. All joking aside, I don't actually think I can bring myself to cash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.