I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM

Question for Canadian Stores

My former DM (I got out) always told us that the Canadian stores are still very profitable and that we shouldn't be concerned about closing for at least 5-10 years. He said that we only needed to worry when we saw him leave for something else. My opinion was that he was trying to stop a mass exodus of managers until he could find something else to go to. So now that I'm at a more profitable company I'm considering recruiting two BBV employes (one SL and one SM). I know both of them have the good work ethics and I want to see them find something else. The SL would make more right away, but the SM would have to start at a lower level and work her way up, although within 2 years would likely be making over 60k (plus huge bonus).

My question is this: Does your DM tell you the same thing? Are the Canadian stores any safer? I don't want to approach these two with fear tactics, but it would be easier for them to find jobs before everyone else with similar qualifications hits the market as well. I could see the way my district was trending, numbers-wise, and didn't see anything good come of it, but I've been out for a few months and maybe things look up for them? I've had several people, SLs and up, ask me to get them in, but these two are the only ones in my area whose work ethics impressed me.
Unread August 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM

My current DM would never, has never said anything about the company's position. Former one told us they would probably close a bunch of stores to help the bottom line (which they are doing now). That's very nice of you to be thinking of your former co-workers. They will appreciate your offer I'm sure.

How to approach them? Maybe send an email from your company acct to them asking them if they are interested and to email you back for more info. If you don't mind, could you PM me? I'd be interested in more info about your company.
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaSmurf For This Useful Post:
getoffmybeach (August 2nd, 2010)
Unread August 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM

They actually discussed this earlier this year on national conference. The Canadian side of the company is a profitable company, they have paid off all their debts earlier this year and is turning a profit. Are stores closing, well ya, but what company doesn't close unprofitable stores besides Walmart.

Is the company on the way out, yes I believe it is. I wouldn't be surprised to see the company around for another 5-10 years. Everything that is happening in the states is happening here but at a much slower rate. People are slowly moving to on demand and streaming being a brick and mortar store it's very hard to compete with.
The Following User Says Thank You to evilviolentj For This Useful Post:
getoffmybeach (August 2nd, 2010)