I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
IHBB Freak

Blockbuster in the UK?

Out of nowhere in the past month or so, my store has become much more international. I am an employee in the ol' USA and our cards are about as generic as they come: Printed name, barcode, store issuant and customer number. Besides being flabbergasted at what to put under STATE when a customer handed me a Mexican driver's license, this was about the extent of my international customer handling...

...until a month ago. I was under the understanding that the cards would work nationally but not internationally. A customer hands me a card that looks the exact same as our cards but with the telltale maple leaf on it. I of course know that us Americans automatically see a Maple Leaf on anything and assume it's Canadian, but I wasn't sure if it'd work. Remember, I'm on the assumption international (and yes, Canada counts) does not work. I tell the customer I've never actually processed a card from another country, but I'll give it a try and lo and behold, it works. I mused to myself that it's kinda fun that the only difference between US cards and Canadian cards is the inclusion of a maple leaf, and go about my day.

A week later a customer shows up with this fancy ass card that looks like it'd blow away even our good Rewards card. I have never seen a card like it, but I see a recognizable account number on it and scan it. Voila... an Irish address. From an Irish Blockbuster.

So, how many of you have handled customers from beyond borders? Any concerns or memorable musings with any of them? Have you actually denied someone service because you didn't recognize the card? Share your international customer stories if you have any.

As an aside... how many of you have handled customers who apparently have iPhones with barcode applications? Some dude hands me an iPhone with a barcode on it, I scan it, and voila... BBV account. Weird...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread August 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM

I have to say that is absolutely fascinating!

I however have not had luck with international cards, I have seen a few, I wonder if certain store codes work only in certain areas, such as if you scan a Canadian card it works in New York, but not Arkansas.
Unread August 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM

I had a Canadian customer try to use their card at my store a few years ago, but it didn't work. No maple leaf on it, either. They ended up having to sign up for a new account.

Occasionally we get people that let us scan their free online coupon from their iPhones, but we can never get them to actually scan.
Unread August 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM

I get US cards up here all the time, the only ones that won't work are the rewards cards.
Unread August 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
IHBB Freak

i had a customer hand me a Columbian card a couple weeks ago and it didn't work. tried to use quickadd or something and nothing happened. then we actually read what was on the back of the card and it was in spanish. the customer handed me his american card and there was his account. anticlimactic.
Unread August 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM

USA cards don't work in the UK, I've tried, it just says it's an invalid store code. Do your store codes follow the same format, ie. 5 digit store number then 5 digit member number? So for example to pull up the account for member 00023 at store 76603 you would type 2-76603-00023?
Unread August 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutuup View Post
USA cards don't work in the UK, I've tried, it just says it's an invalid store code. Do your store codes follow the same format, ie. 5 digit store number then 5 digit member number? So for example to pull up the account for member 00023 at store 76603 you would type 2-76603-00023?
Without the hyphens, but yes.