I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
IHBB Freak

Hello Corporate. Here's Some Food For Thought

As I drive around doing my morning errands, I find myself listening to morning shows. No real reason other than I'm burnt out on my CD collection (huge as it is), and radio tends to play... well, it ain't music. Morning talk shows it is. They can be funny sometimes.

But that's not what's important. My listening habits aren't the point here. What happens when you listen to any terrestrial radio station is that you inevitably have to listen to commercials or change stations, and even with a station change, you aren't guaranteed complete freedom from commercials.

So I've heard a lot of commercials. A sampling of them reveals something telling, something of a major revelation.

One, a couple of local car dealerships. Not just one, mind you, as there is a HUGE selection of car dealers 'round these parts, and they're all fighting for your business.

One of the tactics they use for this is...by saying there's no high pressure sales tactics. Yes, that's right, Blockbuster, a car dealership advertisement is drawing people in by using NOT BUGGING YOU WITH SALES PITCHES as a BENEFIT of choosing this dealership. Not to be one-upped, several other car dealership ads espouse the same thing, fundamentally saying "Don't be afraid to shop here, we WILL NOT HASSLE YOU!"

You see that, Blockbuster? Car salesmen live or die on their salesmanship, yet the dealers themselves are using NOT PRESSURING YOU TO BUY ANYTHING as a PITCH. What do you know? They're actually asking you to come on your own terms! What a NOVEL idea!

Two... even chains are getting into the act. Did you know that I can go to Barnes and Noble and get almost the exact same things I can from you at a similar price? They sell movies, TV series, and even books, like you're trying to do, and instead of consignment, they just have them on bargain tables. But you see, we all know what sets you apart is rental, and God knows you've got less of that lately. A local store has only 20 copies of Iron Man 2. And people keep getting them before me. You know, at the rate that rents out, I have similar odds of just adding it to my Netflix queue and getting it at roughly the same time. And did you know when I check out at Barnes and Noble, they only ask me once about their membership card? And if I say no, that's it? They don't ask me twice more just to be sure?

For that matter, did you know I can get pickles, books, Snuggies, candy AND movies/games at Wal-Mart? Did you know that their retail costs far less than yours? Did you know that, despite being retail driven, I don't get a single pitch about a Rewards card or any number of kooky memberships? Did you know I can get all the same stuff, cheaper, and simply hand the cashier my money and walk out?

And, not that there's any corrollation (sp?), but Wal-Mart is always busy? Making metric tons of money? I bet one register at Wal-Mart contains more money than a Blockbuster store makes in a week! Why is that? Because people like going there? No way, couldn't be! Also, you know that within a mile of that Wal-Mart are three other big grocery store chains? And did you know that they are frequently less busy? Shorter lines, sure. But higher prices. And begging for store memberships. I can't check out there without being asked a few times if I want to sign up for their gas saver card, their other saver memberships, etc. Yet, I bet there's absolutely no corollation between that and their complete emptiness compared to a cheaper, less hassled store.

Three, did it ever occur to you that liking your job is a BIG factor in boosting your revenue? Low employee morale has a HUGE effect on your bottom line. Where I work, I'm happy. I come to work in a great mood, I know that if I continue to do a good job, I'm not only not going to be terminated, but I can achieve a raise? A promotion (with associated raise, not this "expect the ASM to run the store without a single dime extra" bullshit)? Hell, a bonus? If I do my job well, and I effect a bonus, did you know one bonus (of which I get four, annually guaranteed dependent only on performance) is more than I got from you? Heck, as an assistant manager in a Blockbuster, my biggest bonus was $125? And that was once? But yet, I get $300 bonuses every four months with my current employer? Talk about a morale booster, AND a performance booster!

Wait, what's that? You do performance based bonuses, as well? Yeah, well, every single person in my store is guaranteed that bonus. Yours isn't. Hey, you COULD win $1,000! If... we pick you for it, out of the hundreds of deserving stores! I would feel less inclined to work hard if my bonus was a fucking lottery ticket! And hey, while these bonuses are nice, what about RAISES? You know, that annual "give the employees a little more for a job well done" thing? Oh, you do that, too? Only you call it "not being terminated?" Sounds so much better!

Four, I don't constantly have to worry about being replaced. Do a good job, not even a great one, but a competent one, and you're good to go. With all the incentives I get, I'm going to do a damn good job, but I don't necessarily HAVE to. Meanwhile, you expect everyone to do 110% (when was more than perfect even technically possible?) or get fired? What about those who perform at 109%? Who sell just one short of their goal? No "attaboy", no "good effort", just a piece of paper asking you to humiliate yourself ("what will you do to NOT fail this week?") and a possible termination.

Punishment by humiliation? Doesn't sound conducive to a good work environment to me. You sold 5 TAs, too bad. The goal was 6. True, only 5 people came into the store. You failed. Now write us an essay about why you failed. CRY, BITCH, IT'S YOUR JOB ON THE LINE.

Lastly, you'd think you'd bring in someone who knows how to turn a business around. Keyes didn't work out so well, but in theory, he COULD have worked magic. After all, he turned 7-11 from a laughingstock to a profitable entity, MAYBE that business magic could've worked for you.

But it didn't. So who do you bring in to fix it? Why, only the same guy who was in charge of your competitor and ran it into the ground! This sounds like the ideal candidate to fix your business: A guy who had the exact same chance before and totally fucked it up. You might as well have hired the Enron board of directors while you were at it! Does this set a precedent, Blockbuster? Can any of us who failed at selling get OUR jobs back? After all, we proved we can't cut it. Dunlap did, as well, and look where he's at... back in an enviable (well, not quite) position making a ton of money. No one knows how to reward EPIC failure like you do! So, let's let the CSRs who make chump change go for failure, but we have no problems bringing in someone who costs a TON more money to fail!

Unless this is your plan. And well, why wouldn't it be? Let the stores fall to pieces. We all know they're bleeding you money. Hey, you got away scot-free with this Bankruptcy business. Now, let's MAKE some money. Oh, the stores aren't doing that? Well, if the stores fail, you can close them, save a ton of money... if all you had were online customers, and kiosk customers, you'd be saving quite a bit, which is in the best interests of a failed company! Oh, but turn around and tell the store employees that everything's OK! Yeah, I love this new approach-- spit down my ass and tell me it's raining!

These CEO types are presumably college-educated. Yet, low level store employees who may have community college education at best know how to run stores better than you do. Get a clue, or stop the deception. Blockbuster as a name is a joke. You've become the punchline. I was a former employee, and was treated badly as one. Now I'm a customer. As a customer, my dollar should be your permission slip. And guess who's getting my dollars, Blockbuster? It's Netflix! What are you going to do to change that? Because what you've already done sure isn't compelling me to give you my dollars again!

I'll grant I may have lost sight of my original point, but hey, what do I know? I'm just the consumer you've driven away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
almondSM (October 26th, 2010), AnnieAnonymous (October 30th, 2010), Antithesys (October 26th, 2010), ASM69 (October 28th, 2010), Big Dog (October 26th, 2010), brucedx (October 26th, 2010), djblade (October 26th, 2010), easy1234 (October 26th, 2010), farmface (October 26th, 2010), Gonzo (October 26th, 2010), Hot Head (October 26th, 2010), katiebell (October 26th, 2010), MaximusX7 (October 26th, 2010), ripGRUSH (October 30th, 2010), skitchx48 (October 26th, 2010), Spohiesmom2008 (October 26th, 2010), yodavsjason (October 26th, 2010)
Unread October 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM

How about THIS for a novel idea: NOBODY gets a bonus, or pay increase company-wide, and the company pays to ADVERTISE the fact that they have an Online program, Kiosks, streaming, etc..., and STOP expecting the employees and word of mouth to do the advertising for you. The majority of our customers aren't even aware that there's a Blockbuster website!! What does that tell you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blocknocker For This Useful Post:
AnnieAnonymous (October 30th, 2010)
Unread October 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
IHBB GOD

Hey Danny, ever thought about running for office?
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
Big Dog (October 26th, 2010)
Unread October 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM

The last thing I bought from Cockbuster was a candy bundle because I felt sorry for my SM. It will probably be the last thing I purchase from there too.
Unread October 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
IHBB Freak

Danny, Danny, Danny... when are you going to learn? You keep coming on this board in order to make a series of rational, logical points.

What the hell are you thinking?

Seriously, you have about as much of a chance of teaching your dog calculus as you do getting through that thick, collective skull of corporate.

We all know the score. The mantra that they chant in Dallas has but one line:
Get every penny we can out of the customers right fuckin' now.

Wait a sec. I take that back.
You'd have a better chance of teaching your dog calculus.
Big Dog (October 26th, 2010), BUYMECAR (October 26th, 2010)
Unread October 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Great post Danny! from your lips to "their" ears
Unread October 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Didn't you guys see the newest message of the week?

Another installment from Mr. Roger Dunlap. This week's episodes had Roger buying wireless speakers(must be nice to have extra money lying around) and the clerk didn't help him, just pointed at the isle.

He chose some speakers, and cashed out, and cashier didn't say anything. When he got home and went to hook them up, he realized he needed batteries for his wireless speakers! He had to get back in his limo, and drive to another store to get batteries!
It was cashiers fault for not suggesting batteries(her manager probably told her to ask every customer! ) , not his fault for figuring wireless speakers need batteries.

The best line was that we shouldn't push sales on customers, just listen to their needs, and get them what they want. HOW CAN WE DO THIS IF THE COMPANY IS TELLING US TO HIT ONLY CERTAIN SALES!

Customer wanted movie pass tonight and I sold it to him, but company wants me to sell him online! Customer walked away happy, I will get chewed out tomorrow for not hitting my total access goal tonight!

Company keeps telling us to do one thing, then yells at us for doing it! Can't to see what Roger is gonna buy next week! Any guesses! I say he will buy a new car, and tell us how much he learned about adding undercoating to his new BMW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
AnnieAnonymous (October 30th, 2010), BUYMECAR (October 26th, 2010)
Unread October 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
Didn't you guys see the newest message of the week?

Another installment from Mr. Roger Dunlap. This week's episodes had Roger buying wireless speakers(must be nice to have extra money lying around) and the clerk didn't help him, just pointed at the isle.

He chose some speakers, and cashed out, and cashier didn't say anything. When he got home and went to hook them up, he realized he needed batteries for his wireless speakers! He had to get back in his limo, and drive to another store to get batteries!
It was cashiers fault for not suggesting batteries(her manager probably told her to ask every customer! ) , not his fault for figuring wireless speakers need batteries.

The best line was that we shouldn't push sales on customers, just listen to their needs, and get them what they want. HOW CAN WE DO THIS IF THE COMPANY IS TELLING US TO HIT ONLY CERTAIN SALES!

Customer wanted movie pass tonight and I sold it to him, but company wants me to sell him online! Customer walked away happy, I will get chewed out tomorrow for not hitting my total access goal tonight!

Company keeps telling us to do one thing, then yells at us for doing it! Can't to see what Roger is gonna buy next week! Any guesses! I say he will buy a new car, and tell us how much he learned about adding undercoating to his new BMW!

thought i was hilarious he didnt think u needed batteries for wireless speakers..
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread October 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Danny, you make solid, lucid points about the business, but forgive me if I ask ...WHY THE HECK would you want to help these A-holes, that you no longer work for, who have shown or continue to show most of us here nothing more than contempt during these last couple of years? These corporate pieces of crap DESERVE TO GO DOWN IN FLAMES!!! Please stop trying to help them. At this point I WANT them all to suffer long and hard for their misdeeds! I genuinely tried to help them for YEARS, to no avail. So now let's let them drown in their own fluids, OK?
Unread October 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
IHBB Freak

I know it's futile, but there's two reasons I'd want Blockbuster, in brick and mortar form, to survive:

One, the competition will keep Netflix's prices from rising. I love the hell out of Netflix, but I'm not going to be too happy if they figure "No competition... let's make unlimited streaming $50 a month!"

Two, I worked with those employees in those stores for four years. As the "model" store, our employees were looked to as the example, and I was "loaned out" on occasion, so I can safely say I've worked with almost everyone (that hadn't been replaced) in this city employed by BBV. I know them all, I like them all, they are all cool in my book, and I hate to see them all under this bullshit, forced to humiliate themselves and fundamentally beg for their jobs on a daily basis.

And one more thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker
Hey Danny, ever thought about running for office?
Nope. I'm too straightforward (and maybe too honest and common-sensical) for politics. Though, after having a job with no raises like BBV, it'd be nice to have one where I could vote myself raises with impugnity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.