I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > Do You Hate Blockbuster Video?

Unread April 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Post Stopped Caring - Essay'ish Length

Maybe I'm just cynical but I actually stopped caring about arguing the restocking fees. There's too many customers that like to bitch and moan.
Also, from my experiences, the Blockbuster Employees are the scape goats for the theft and problems with people keeping movies too long (enough for a restocking fee or enough to own the actual movie/game).

At the moment I'm a SL, working 14 days in a row, with no break (which I'm going to make sure will not happen again if the pay isn't worth it) but towards the end of this stretch, I've stopped caring what the customer thinks or feels. The fact that they always come in with a bitchy attitude is not helping me resolve any situation and I'm more likely just to tell them to tell them there's nothing I can do.

Reading on these forums from the BM, I can sympathize with the problem he had, and yes, the employees do make mistakes ALL THE TIME. It's still no reason that the Employees should get chewed up(not talking about the BM), unless they are acting like assholes the whole time and not even trying to look at their history. If I nicely tell you, you haven't returned a movie, and you say you have, I go to the shelf and find it or don't, there's still no need to think I'm holding out on you. I will gladly check all the places that are known to me where it could be. In Mismatch, Perma-Sale, or the Wall. But if I don't find it, and your history is complete and utter shit, I'm not going to believe you. And I will NOT remove the balance. At that point you can get pissy, I'm still not going to let you rent. But if your history is mediocre, and your nice enough to know that I'm not just some servant sent to make your live perfect, I'll help you all I can. Chances are if your really nice about, even if I reject you from getting the balance removed and being rent able, there's still a chance of me going "Oh nevermind, don't worry about it." Don't think we stop paying attention or thinking about what we can do after you leave. If you leave all pissy and acting like an asshole, we aren't going to do dick all, and we will probably laugh when your gone. Just act civil and very respectable in this manner and 95% of the time (dependent on your history) we will take it off or try to work something out.

The employees, aside from being punching bags for the rotten customers, are also scapegoats when a shit load of theft happens. We get yelled at when we get stuff stolen from us, and no Blockbuster isn't going to do shit about it. I'm actually tempted just to sit and watch a shoplifter steal something, and then just as he walks out, say "Have a nice day." You might be helping Blockbuster when you stop a theft from happening, but they're not doing anything to help you in the future. So, why do more than you have to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's basically what I'm saying.

-If we can't find your movie on the shelf or you have a restocking fee, don't be an asshole and expect us to take it off, cause we probably won't. Act quiet, and respectable and work will get done to either take down the damage of the owned movie, or restocking fee.

-Employees are people too. You don't go up to the guy in a bus stop who's eating loudly and go "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!" Don't think that the employee you are talking to is the one responsible for yours and only your problems. Chances are, it was someone else and there's more people besides you that are willing to be nice about it.

-Blockbuster isn't helping us with stopping theft but we are yelled at when shrink is happening. So if you're getting yelled at as an SM or ASM, just stop caring. The money you make from BB, is nothing compared to a career.

Last edited by Krow; April 29th, 2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Grammer fixes
Unread April 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
Maybe I'm just cynical but I actually stopped caring about arguing the restocking fees. There's too many customers that like to bitch and moan.
Also, from my experiences, the Blockbuster Employees are the scape goats for the theft and problems with people keeping movies too long (enough for a restocking fee or enough to own the actual movie/game).

At the moment I'm a SL, working 14 days in a row, with no break (which I'm going to make sure will not happen again if the pay isn't worth it) but towards the end of this stretch, I've stopped caring what the customer thinks or feels. The fact that they always come in with a bitchy attitude is not helping me resolve any situation and I'm more likely just to tell them to tell them there's nothing I can do.

Reading on these forums from the BM, I can sympathize with the problem he had, and yes, the employees do make mistakes ALL THE TIME. It's still no reason that the Employees should get chewed up(not talking about the BM), unless they are acting like assholes the whole time and not even trying to look at their history. If I nicely tell you, you haven't returned a movie, and you say you have, I go to the shelf and find it or don't, there's still no need to think I'm holding out on you. I will gladly check all the places that are known to me where it could be. In Mismatch, Perma-Sale, or the Wall. But if I don't find it, and your history is complete and utter shit, I'm not going to believe you. And I will NOT remove the balance. At that point you can get pissy, I'm still not going to let you rent. But if your history is mediocre, and your nice enough to know that I'm not just some servant sent to make your live perfect, I'll help you all I can. Chances are if your really nice about, even if I reject you from getting the balance removed and being rent able, there's still a chance of me going "Oh nevermind, don't worry about it." Don't think we stop paying attention or thinking about what we can do after you leave. If you leave all pissy and acting like an asshole, we aren't going to do dick all, and we will probably laugh when your gone. Just act civil and very respectable in this manner and 95% of the time (dependent on your history) we will take it off or try to work something out.

The employees, aside from being punching bags for the rotten customers, are also scapegoats when a shit load of theft happens. We get yelled at when we get stuff stolen from us, and no Blockbuster isn't going to do shit about it. I'm actually tempted just to sit and watch a shoplifter steal something, and then just as he walks out, say "Have a nice day." You might be helping Blockbuster when you stop a theft from happening, but they're not doing anything to help you in the future. So, why do more than you have to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's basically what I'm saying.

-If we can't find your movie on the shelf or you have a restocking fee, don't be an asshole and expect us to take it off, cause we probably won't. Act quiet, and respectable and work will get done to either take down the damage of the owned movie, or restocking fee.

-Employees are people too. You don't go up to the guy in a bus stop who's eating loudly and go "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!" Don't think that the employee you are talking to is the one responsible for yours and only your problems. Chances are, it was someone else and there's more people besides you that are willing to be nice about it.

-Blockbuster isn't helping us with stopping theft but we are yelled at when shrink is happening. So if you're getting yelled at as an SM or ASM, just stop caring. The money you make from BB, is nothing compared to a career.
I suggest you find another job......................
I know your venting over this but, it really isn't that hard of a job. It's retail, get out of it .
The top Poster!
Unread April 29th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Paying for school man lol. Not much in the way of easy jobs around where I am. Basically all retail. I know I'm venting to the wrong crowd here I'm sure, as the people who read this are either BB employees or just people who had one or two late movies and hate BB for it.
Unread April 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redstar3894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
Paying for school man lol. Not much in the way of easy jobs around where I am. Basically all retail. I know I'm venting to the wrong crowd here I'm sure, as the people who read this are either BB employees or just people who had one or two late movies and hate BB for it.
I'm working for BB to help pay for school as well, and the job is really what you make it...since I was just promoted to SL I've had the most fun at work in a long time...you just need to take it in stride and try to stay in the Grey area between taking the job super seriously and not caring...you need to care enough to make it fun, is what I'm trying to say...

The customers will always be the way they are, you can't change that, you just can't let them get to you...I can't really offer any advice there...

And I know exactly what you mean with the whole shoplifting thing, last week on one of my shifts, there was a large amount of product stolen, and yes, I was the one ultimately responsible for that...but what I think really helped me deal with that was when my SM talked to me about that, she didn't tear me a new asshole, but instead took the position that this is just something we needed to work on recently (low-theft store)...It is very frustrating, but as a manager, you need to take responsibility and show leadership to the other employees if this happens again...

So basically, if you find some way to make it fun, as well as still care about the job, as shitty as BB is, it can still be very rewarding...

Hope that all made sense...

-Unknown
Unread April 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM

More than you'll ever know. Funny-ish story about theft at my store.

A guy comes in, not to stereo-type but the typical Canadian theif (don't wanna get racial) I see him come in and he goes right for the Blu-Ray, grabs a hand full and takes it to the end of an Isle where his hands can't be watched. And I'm just standing there doing returns while watching him. He's looking at me, right in the eyes. His girlfriend is usually there to TRY to distract me from watching him, but she was too far away to get my attention He's still watching me, I smile and wave at him from 20 feet away. He puts the movies down and walks out.

Now mind you that is his only warning from me, and probably knows it, seeing as I haven't seen him again since then.
Unread April 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Dude. Take a day off. Get laid. You'll feel better. Seriously.
Unread April 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
Dude. Take a day off. Get laid. You'll feel better. Seriously.
Yeah, well said...

I was feeling that way when I went from working 7 days in a row getting trained for my promotion to SL, to working about 5 more days in a row because half the store was going on vacation...I know exactly how that goes...

You just sound overworked...like AD said, just take some time off, have a few beers and a few ladies...you'll feel much better about your situation...

-Unknown
Unread April 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
IHBB GOD

If someone bitches to you about the restocking fee, arguing that it's a late fee and so on...just press the little red button behind the counter that unhinges that trap-door they're standing on
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread April 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
If someone bitches to you about the restocking fee, arguing that it's a late fee and so on...just press the little red button behind the counter that unhinges that trap-door they're standing on
Yours is a button? Lucky.
I had to pick up a hammer and clang a bell hanging behind the counter to activate ours. Always gave me a headache.
Unread April 30th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
Yours is a button? Lucky.
I had to pick up a hammer and clang a bell hanging behind the counter to activate ours. Always gave me a headache.
The Button is being rolled out along with the blu-rays...

All you need to do is call IPT to make sure it gets installed correctly...

-Unknown