I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
IHBB GOD

I used to do my CSR in the Drama section before we opened...
Unread January 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
I used to do my CSR in the Drama section before we opened...
(this is how Kaw's unmasking should have went.)

Hi, I am Kaw, and I worked for blockbuster from 1997-2002, I put in some hard work, but then they put us on this rewards program push, and because my store never met it's goals, I cheated and used barcodes to make my goal. After I was caught and promptly let go, I made this account on here and since have waited for Blockbuster to close.

It's over..business as usual, Pray for me bitches.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread January 28th, 2013, 09:56 PM
IHBB GOD

David

Come on, BB is nearly done. No use holding onto the animosity. It really isn't worth it. Life goes on. Come join us on facebook. The party continues there ...
Unread January 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
IHBB GOD

My real name is Julie, and I started with Blockbuster in August of 2001 in Port Huron Michigan as a CSR, 10 months later I was ASM at a store in Richmond Michigan. Stayed at that store for 6 years. Worked five of those years with a sm that was a nice guy, but easily one of the laziest managers I have ever worked with. He decides to come in on a friday night and hand me his keys. No notice. Nice. Anyway, they send me a new SM that was the exact opposit of previous SM - and there was conflict between us, so I was sent on to another store. Worked at the store in Birmingham Michigan till my store closed in July of 2011. Loved that store, and the store manager and I got along really well. Due to the bankruptcy, there was a store near us that was closing - and my SM was a MSM in charge of that store. I ended up spliting time between two stores. I was unemployed for about six weeks, when I got another retail job that I LOVE. Money was tight, and my last BBV SM called me and asked me to come back to BBV. I relented, but wanted to make sure that things were more stable in the company, so I refused to come back as a manager, so I came back as a CSR. Went to different store than the one my SM was at, and got stuck with managers that were hired in off the street, and a newly appointed sm (that had been an ASM for 10 years) that didn't even know how to print up inventory reports. Because I had been a manager for 9 years, I knew what needed to be done and how to do it. I was required to train managers and the csr's. I helped train the staff, and then wanted to go back to being a CSR who knew how to do management things. My final straw came when I was told that I had to teach the new hired off the street manager how to count down tills. I made it clear to my SM that I did the previous training to get the store staffed (it only had one part-time manager, everyone else had quit), but that after that I was only going to be a CSR. Got fed up, so I handed in my notice and haven't regretted it since. Most famous customers I got were: Chris Wilcox, Antonio McDice (sp?), Joe Dumars, and Rip Hamilton from the Detroit Pistons. Local radio and tv personalities. Jiri Hudler, Henrik Zetterberg and Kris Draper from the Detroit Red Wings came in all the time. All of them were super cool, except for Rip Hamilton. We couldn't find his membership in the system because the SM from a now closed nearby store had created a bogus account for him. He was still cool, but irrated because we made him sign up for a legit account.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (Thanks Moonprism)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Woodstock For This Useful Post:
djblade (January 29th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 29th, 2013), inkedangel (January 29th, 2013), johnlow71 (January 29th, 2013), sar94pga (February 4th, 2013)
Unread January 29th, 2013, 02:06 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
David

Come on, BB is nearly done. No use holding onto the animosity. It really isn't worth it. Life goes on. Come join us on facebook. The party continues there ...
He's on facebook.
Unread January 29th, 2013, 04:30 AM
IHBB Freak

I guess I've been the most transparent of anyone here, but my name is Marc and I own Orbit DVD in Asheville, NC. I worked at Blockbuster from 1999 - 2003.

This spring marks an important event in my life. While working at BBV, we got dozens of requests to carry two highly-anticipated documentaries: LOST IN LA MANCHA and Wilco's I AM TRYING TO BREAK YOUR HEART. Knowing the area and clientele I knew these would make the store hundreds of dollars. They never came. They refused to send them. We were told that if a SM ordered any unapproved product then they would be terminated. This wasn't THE factor that pushed me to open my own store, but it was a huge factor nevertheless. Thank you Blockbuster!

Some people on here think I bullshit about how well I'm doing, but 2012 was the best year ever for Orbit DVD. Now for full disclosure I closed my smaller downtown store that was doing fine (more personal reasons), but I have never felt more positive about what I am doing than right now. Rentals are still the majority of my income (and UP 25% in December for some reason), but I have explored other avenues that have been successful. I sell video games going back to the Atari, and video game customers are always the first in the store. I have always sold on Amazon, but we did a major push with the buy/sell/trade and it has paid off in spades last year.

Blockbuster has blown it year after year. They could have positioned themselves with the game stores, but they could never fully commit. Hastings is on Amazon as a reseller, why not BBV? They didn't commit to the buy sell trade market, but they could have been the biggest. It looks like this cycle is going to continue. Blockbuster Wireless?

Look me up on Facebook. Is there a group on there?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orbit...0185069?ref=hl
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 30th, 2013), Antithesys (January 30th, 2013), djblade (January 29th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 29th, 2013), inkedangel (January 29th, 2013), johnlow71 (January 29th, 2013)
Unread January 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
IHBB GOD

Wow, I'll tell you my story later.... I got pictures
Unread January 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM

My name is Derek and was hired as a Store Manager from the outside back in 2000, based on my management background. I worked in MD primarily near the Towson area and stayed with the company until 2006.

I eventually became a District Training Store Manager, but then was asked to take over a very challenging store in Towson, that was a complete beast of a store ... and this store was simply not able to be a training store.

I could go on and on about that store, but nobody ran that damn store like I did. So much unbelievable hand-holding needed in that area ... I dare say 3 out of 5 customers that walked through the door needed floor assistance or hand-holding ... 3 phone lines constantly lit up with people calling the store ... and constantly producing new memberships since it was a college area and account numbers frequently were eliminated from the system after inactivity, and nobody kept their cards to reactive the accounts.

Because it was a college area, nobody had any money to spend either.

Oh, and don't turn your back, because people liked to shoplift in this location, as well.

You have not seen anything like this place, and I have worked at multiple stores. So I know what is normal and what is not.

Because of all of this extra labor and attention needed (since the customers demanded it here), it was almost impossible to get anything done in the store. It was just a very labor intensive store.

But somehow I was able to manage that beast of a place better than any of my predecessors. I increased sales, significantly reduced turnover, significantly reduced shrink, and raised operational and merchandising standards to commendable levels. Mystery shop score averaged 95% and my store was voted Best Customer Service in our Region. At this place, that was a tremendous compliment.

I was so miserable at the end, but I had a stretch assignment as a DL with having 3 stores in addition to my home store. I knew a change was needed, but I could see the writing on the wall that this was more of the same, just at a higher level. Plus, it was difficult for me to lash out at my fellow store managers (and I was pretty strict) since I knew how the resources at the time were next to nothing, and store managers were already working well over 48 hours or more per week.

I left in 2006 to work as a Marketing Representative with Dole Food Company and worked the Mid-Atlantic territory. I was on the road almost every week and in and out of airports. I had a great time doing this.

Today, I work for a consulting firm in the field of energy-efficiency. I make a great salary. I own my own home. I work about 44 hours average per week, regular hours. And I'm happy.

My life drastically improved after leaving Blockbuster. Giving it 6 years of my life was too much and that had a negative impact on my career, frankly. I was lucky I was able to bounce back due to friends I have networked with over the years.

Looking back, this was a horrible company to work for past 2004. I am so glad this company got what it had coming to it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BBVTyrant For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 30th, 2013), Antithesys (January 30th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 29th, 2013), inkedangel (January 29th, 2013), johnlow71 (January 29th, 2013)
Unread January 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
Look me up on Facebook. Is there a group on there?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orbit...0185069?ref=hl
All the cool kids are already on facebook. I posted on your wall
inkedangel (January 29th, 2013), johnlow71 (January 29th, 2013)
Unread January 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
(this is how Kaw's unmasking should have went.)

Hi, I am Kaw, and I worked for blockbuster from 1997-2002, I put in some hard work, but then they put us on this rewards program push, and because my store never met it's goals, I cheated and used barcodes to make my goal. After I was caught and promptly let go, I made this account on here and since have waited for Blockbuster to close.

It's over..business as usual, Pray for me bitches.
As much as you say that I am "obsessed" with Blockbuster, you are obviously obsessed with me...not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm straight. Thanks though.