I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread May 5th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Dish & Mike Kelly .... In case you are reading this

Just in case Dish or even Mr. Kelly himself is reading this forum, I'd like to express my disappointment in the first 10 days of your ownership and leadership. I certainly hope this is not a sign of the things to come.

I realize there was limited time between the closing on the sale and the first new release day under your new command, but I find it quite disappointing that we have had to face this first week without product in our stores.

In the last few months, the reduced copy depth has greatly effected our business. Customers have repeatedly come into our stores looking for items we either just didn't order or simply didn't have enough of. This has forced these customers to look elsewhere while we tried to insure them that these troubles would soon be behind us once you finalized the sale and took ownership.

However, as we have faced our first full week with our new owners, we again have to give our customers the same song and dance. Two big titles and zero copies on Tuesday. One we will receive Friday and no word on the other. With today the normal day to receive items for next week, we haven't heard a word on next week's titles.

It would have been wise to use the deep pockets we keep hearing about to bite the bullet these first couple weeks and just purchase the product without any great agreements in place with the studios. I realize that in the long run that our negotiations with these studios will greatly effect our profitability and sustainability. However, as we fight for these new agreements and play stubborn with the studios, we continue to lose customers to our competitors that we may never get back.

The fact is the studios need us as much as we need them. They aren't ready to walk away from the hundreds of millions of dollars they will lose if we shut the doors on all our stores. At the same time, they need to know that things will be different and they will get paid for their products and that we are prepared to restore the image of Blockbuster and build our business.

I don't care so much about the fact we haven't received any confection deliveries the last several weeks. The fact that I can spread out what I do have and my shelves still look full is a testament to the absurd amount of product we've received in the past that has only led to stores selling expired items or items destroyed and dollars lost.

I do care that I can't offer my customer the newest and hottest releases. When Redbox was fighting with studios, they went to Walmart and bought their product. They realized it was better to overpay than risk losing customers by not having the product at all.

I don't care what you have to do, but get the product in our stores or save us all the agony and close the doors already. Lets do it right or not do it all. If you want to play hardball with the studios then fine, I understand. But don't do it at the expense of the stores and more importantly our customers. Let the studios know you have until July 20th to close the doors to all these stores. Let them know you are prepared to do just that if you can't find some middle ground that can make both Blockbuster and the studios money. Tell them they have 30 days to negotiate with us. In the meantime, we will pay their asking price but that if we can't come to favorable terms within 30 days, we will cease to buy any product at all and simply close the doors.

You spent the money to get us, now what are you going to do with us?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
almondSM (May 6th, 2011), Big Dog (May 7th, 2011), CruelIntentions (May 6th, 2011), djblade (May 6th, 2011), farmface (May 6th, 2011), Glass Half Empty (May 5th, 2011), MamaSmurf (May 5th, 2011), muthaflippin (May 5th, 2011), Ninja (May 6th, 2011), prettyinpink (May 5th, 2011), renadkins (May 22nd, 2011), UnderPressure (May 7th, 2011)
Unread May 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
IHBB GOD

they are going to liquidate your ass like fucking Ex-lax.

=3
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (May 5th, 2011), Baby Firefly (May 5th, 2011), DeDampkring (May 6th, 2011), Hot Head (May 5th, 2011)
Unread May 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
they are going to liquidate your ass like fucking Ex-lax.
Harsh... but kinda funny

BBSTore.... great post. I like how you laid it all out. Very thought provoking, and reasonable.
Unread May 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM

I agree with everything BBVManager112233 posted above.

Dish- FISH OR CUT BAIT! Putting up fucking signs heralding tomorrow as the release date for "Green Hornet" and UPS today brings only PRP?? Where's NO STRINGS ATTACHED?? Stop pulling the bandaid off slowly- just rip the thing off.. So, it also looks like any pt employees just had any pto left erased-it is not accounted for on tomorrow's check.....
Unread May 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM

I just took the time finally to read through the Q & A from the Dish conference call. Many of you have seen some of the quotes in articles related to Blockbuster. If any of you want to read it (it is a little lengthy) here is the link:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2671...ipt?part=qanda

After reading it all, I do think Charlie is an excellent CEO who is constantly being aggressive and looking at the future and ways to improve his company. It almost sounds as though he has some great master plan but doesn't want to tip anyone off so they can beat him to the punch of this great plan.

Although I am intrigued by the mystery, I still hate the fact I have to go to work each day without total confidence in the direction my company is headed.

I did like that they touched on how cash strapped the company had been and that they indicated that with product and investment in advertising they thought that might tell a different story to the bottom line. I also like the fact that they have addressed some of the general and adminstrative costs fairly quickly. With the layoffs at corporate and moving the Dallas offices to McKinney, I think they have addressed some of those costs.

I just can't see the studios putting themselves in the position of eliminating their physical product. They can't possibly make the same revenue through streaming rights as they do through physical distribution. I don't see Netflix ever being able to offer the top 100 films of the year until atleast a year after they have exited the box office. TV content is a different story. TV doesn't make nearly as much as movies through DVD sales and rentals. I understand why their content could be purchased at a reasonable enough price for Hulo and Netflix to be able to offer that content. I just don't see it though for movies that generate such large amounts of revenue even after it exits the box office.

I guess time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
Darkfall28 (May 5th, 2011)
Unread May 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Honestly, to me it's just a societal trend. It may not happen today, or tomorrow, but it will happen. Everything is moving as technology advances. DVDs are going to go the way of checks. We have credit cards and internet banking now and stubborn people are still killing trees just so they can write their amounts on wasteful little pieces of paper and waste more paper maintaining checkbooks unnecessarily. DVDs are the same, such a waste of raw material. If people weren't so stubborn and resistant to positive change Blockbuster would have died a decade ago. The same way people ridiculously cling to checks and checkbooks...

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (May 6th, 2011)
Unread May 5th, 2011, 08:44 PM

People resist change in all ways. It's just human nature and while I firmly believe that down the road the vast majority of media will exist through streaming, downloads, etc., for the immediate future there is still quite a bit of money on the table with physical dvd and bluray product. In the past Blockbuster could leverage the studios more for obvious reasons but even though they can't now, I think you're right that to some extent studios still feel they can make money through physical product in Blockbuster stores. They're fighting serious battles in the on demand market right now and of course with Netflix and other exclusivity rights. Blockbuster (as long as it's just movies and games.... christ, no more pillow pets please....) can still provide an easy outlet to the studios to make money. If it's done the right way. That's a big if though..... Well said though 112233. Just have to wait and see.
Unread May 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah Hahahahahahahahahahahah
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremy piven For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (May 6th, 2011)
Unread May 6th, 2011, 02:26 AM
IHBB Freak

I agree that societal trends and profits dictate how entertainment will be dispersed. And it's on the creative front as well. Look at all the daytime soaps that are dropping like flies, with the remaining few likely to be canceled in the next year or two. Too few people want to watch a slow-moving, often poorly written serial five days a week and these shows cost a small fortune. The networks are jettisoning decades-loyal fans for cheap talk and lifestyle shows. Everything has a shelf life.
Unread May 6th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Here are a few points to ponder:

After release from theaters studios make most profits from Pay Per View.

When Blockbuster had 5,000+ stores studios saw us a way of delivery of product. With 1700 we are less relevant.

We have had great copy depth in the past and that did not save us.

We did advertising 4th Q of 2010 and had terrible results.

Total Access only works if there is a store around to swap your DVD (we are too far apart).

People like coming to our stores they hate bringing the movie back.

With stores so far apart if a Redbox intercepts your customer they are gone.

When was the last time you bought a CD? Are DVDs next?

We are just about the only Video Rental store left and hanging on by a thread, that should tell you enough right there.

l work for Blockbuster and l do really like my job and would like to keep it. l am in a store that is still busy but not making a profit. The margin is just not there to pay labor and overhead. l would really like to know what Dish can do to change this condition that has brought not only us but every other Video rental chain down. l do fear that the end is near for stores and we can only pray for something that has never been tried before. Good luck Dish time is running out.