I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyGuy View Post
Who do you think will buy Blockbuster ? If someone does buy this Blockbuster what do you think will happen to future of the stores?

RUMOR has it Netflix & Amazon are the two company's that may be bidding on Blockbuster Video and February 18th is when the report date is showing which company is bidding.
j & b pickle distributors is my likely guess for the new ownership.
Want a great job, full of fun, endless opportunities and FREE Movie & Game Rentals? Find it here, at Blockbuster! We're frequently looking for motivated, dynamic employees in all areas of our company.
Unread February 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
Netflix and Amazon wouldn't touch blockbuster LOL!!

netflix is not in the business to deal with stores and take people out of jobs. amazon is the most advanced fulfillment and e-commerce outsourcing provider of all time and space.

so tell me... WHY in the world would anyone think they would want to bid on Blockbuster?

there is no logic there.
I don't know man. there mr money bags!!! blockbuster!!!
Unread February 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itirnitii View Post
Why would successful companies buy a chain in a dying industry? It may take a couple decades or so, but movie stores will become completely irrelevant. There's just no rational reason to invest in something like that -- these companies are looking for fresh and new ideas, not stagnant ones.
It isn't consumers making these irrelevant. Its shitty CEOs who think you should sell pickles at a store that rents movies.

There are many, many, MANY independent movie stores that are doing just well in spite of Netflix and Redbox.
Unread February 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaVSBBV View Post
j & b pickle distributors is my likely guess for the new ownership.
I was at 7/11 the other day (JK's old haunt) and saw the same damned pickles that are at BB, haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finallyfreebaby For This Useful Post:
BBW[BlockBusterWorker] (February 18th, 2011), ClutztomerControl (February 18th, 2011)
Unread February 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
IHBB GOD

exactly, netflix keeps with its niches. it's not going to suddenly revert back to a failing old format just because they have the money for it.

=3
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
ClutztomerControl (February 18th, 2011)
Unread February 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Netflix buying Blockbuster would be like Ford buying Phaeton Carriages in 1920.
Unread February 18th, 2011, 02:26 AM
IHBB Freak

No one is going to buy the stores. Just the brand and the online, on demand, and blue box stakes. Your stores are fucked. No one wants to buy a loss leader. Stores will be scrapped.

I'd look to a telecom provider to buy out blockbuster. But, who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to ClutztomerControl For This Useful Post:
its_me_ASM69 (February 18th, 2011)
Unread February 18th, 2011, 03:56 AM

One of the conditions of buying Blockbuster is that the stores have to remain open.

Whether this changed in the future, I can not say. But for now, that is one of the conditions (or at least what we're being told). And we have to take that at face value, despite the promises that things are better, of TA incentives, or of anything else that we've been lied to about.
Unread February 18th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to BBW[BlockBusterWorker] Send a message via Skype™ to BBW[BlockBusterWorker]
If someone buys and decides to keep the stores, it would be wise to have the store be a retail outlet with competetive price matching and maybe 5 kiosks max inside the store for rental.
Unread February 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Netflix is not even a remote possibility. They have nothing to gain from buying BB. They believe the future is in streaming and they are putting all of their eggs in that basket.

More than likely it will be one of the current debt holders since they can use their debt in the bidding process. Of course Icahn leads the potential buyers in that category. He also is one who has reportedly been willing to put more money into this company to turn it around.

There is a remote chance that a big company could swoop in but chances are very slim. In my opinion though, it would be a wise investment for a company looking to establish themselves in the On Demand or streaming market. It also would be a potential wise investment for an internet based company looking to establish retail outlets. With the right plan, you could merge the two seperate businesses into a unique and potential viable new business.

For those of you who think they should get rid of all the stores, you simply don't have any idea how much some of these stores do make. But there certainly is no need any longer for a BB store on every corner.

Oh one last thing.... Going retail would be just a quicker death. There is no way stores can compete with industry leaders like Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and Target. Their buying power is just too great to compete with in the terms of pricing. Also many of these stores sell these items at or slightly below cost just to drive people into their stores. However I do agree there is a market for increased movie related merchandise not readily available elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
justme83yo (February 18th, 2011)