I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread December 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Tormenting Customers

I have been working for blockbuster for some time. I smile, I am helpful, I do everything I can to get people in and out with what they want in a timely manner. However, no matter how much you smile, how helpful you are, there are always douches that just want to talk down to you, give you an attitude, and try to scam you into giving free rentals.

I know the company sucks, I know most of the time the co-workers suck, and the customers suck, so I try to do my part in making Blockbuster an entertaining work environment for me.... and on occasion, I will let a co-worker in on my schemes.

Some tips to make the day more enjoyable:

1. When that annoying customer that always jabbers on and on about their life because they have no friends comes in to bug you... re-direct the conversation to how they look like they are putting on weight or simply state how they seem to rent alot of movies and ask them what their hobbies are. (These are to direct the customer from wanting to talk to you again and possibly find some other place to frequent).

2A. When you get that customer that asks you ever 30 seconds if a popular movie that is checked out has come back in (and you will encounter them), do a quick check and regardless of it being it, tell them "ahhh, sorry, still checked out."

2B. When that same customer stands near the drop box waiting for someone to return the movie of their choice, and calls you over to see if its it, pick up a different item and say "nope, it was something else, sooooorrrrrryy".

3. Hide popular movies through out the store. This is great because it makes it a sort of scavenger hunt for customers and employees. The customers will soon learn that there are items out on the floor other than the wall, and the employee will go insane looking for items which are supposed to be in stock.

4. Any time a snot nosed brat of a child calls for a game, say "one second let me check..... PS2, XBOX..." (phone caller replies) "pause for a second... nope, don't got it, BUBYE"

5. Open up one register for a CSR, put down "next register" signs at all of the other registers and stand near one. When a customer comes up to you (and one will), tap the sign ever so lightly. When they start to talk, tap the sign again and walk away.

6. When someone calls about holding a movie that you carry... tell them in the most smug, smart ass way "pfffft, I don't think anyone is gonna come in within the next our to rent that, hahahaha, it'll be here... trust me". (This makes the customer feel like a moron, and will most likely not come in to rent the movie because they don't want to be known as the guy that rented the lamest movie ever and wanted it to be held for them cause they must have it.)

7. Write little notes and leave them in movies. The notes can be about anything such as; "You are a fool for renting this", "Lonely tonight? Figures, you did rent Red Shoe Diaries loser", "You are making your children retarded by renting this for them" (works only on childrens films) etc. Get creative with it, but keep it limited, you don't want to put a note in every movie...you will get caught.

8. Put a hold on that says "see warn" then apply warnings on accounts with problem customers or customers you just don't like or have pissed you off for some reason. Example: "Customer has bad breath, must brush teeth before renting", "Tell Children to shut the hell up", "Just nod and continue transaction, customer has no life", etc. Once again, be very creative there are limits though, and it does have your employee number next to the warning.

There are many more, I am still in the process of developing more tactics. Remember, you may work at blockbuster, but you are providing a service, and customers need to realize that if they do not treat the empolyees with respect, then they will be dealt with accordingly. Customers should know that in order to get the best possible service, they should not be an idiot, and not ask stupid questions... or they will be taken advantage of.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Notice: I do not condone over charging customers, putting balances on accounts, checking out items to wrong accounts or any other illegal activity.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
IHBB GOD

I don't know where to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVTerror View Post
1. When that annoying customer that always jabbers on and on about their life because they have no friends comes in to bug you... re-direct the conversation to how they look like they are putting on weight or simply state how they seem to rent alot of movies and ask them what their hobbies are. (These are to direct the customer from wanting to talk to you again and possibly find some other place to frequent).
. . .Or you could act busy. This one works great, and it has the added bonus of stuff getting done while you're doing it.

Quote:
2A. When you get that customer that asks you ever 30 seconds if a popular movie that is checked out has come back in (and you will encounter them), do a quick check and regardless of it being it, tell them "ahhh, sorry, still checked out."

2B. When that same customer stands near the drop box waiting for someone to return the movie of their choice, and calls you over to see if its it, pick up a different item and say "nope, it was something else, sooooorrrrrryy".
Aren't you trying to get rid of these people? They'll go away once you get them their movie. Do you think they want to waste their day at BB any more than you do?

Quote:
3. Hide popular movies through out the store. This is great because it makes it a sort of scavenger hunt for customers and employees. The customers will soon learn that there are items out on the floor other than the wall, and the employee will go insane looking for items which are supposed to be in stock.
Dude what the fuck? . . .

Quote:
4. Any time a snot nosed brat of a child calls for a game, say "one second let me check..... PS2, XBOX..." (phone caller replies) "pause for a second... nope, don't got it, BUBYE"
Wait -- you mean lie about whether or not something is in because you're too fucking lazy to go and check?

Quote:
5. Open up one register for a CSR, put down "next register" signs at all of the other registers and stand near one. When a customer comes up to you (and one will), tap the sign ever so lightly. When they start to talk, tap the sign again and walk away.
And what's wrong with saying "I'm sorry this register isn't open at the moment, but Harry will be glad to help you just down there" ?

Quote:
6. When someone calls about holding a movie that you carry... tell them in the most smug, smart ass way "pfffft, I don't think anyone is gonna come in within the next our to rent that, hahahaha, it'll be here... trust me". (This makes the customer feel like a moron, and will most likely not come in to rent the movie because they don't want to be known as the guy that rented the lamest movie ever and wanted it to be held for them cause they must have it.)
But you lost the rental income jackass.

Quote:

7. Write little notes and leave them in movies. The notes can be about anything such as; "You are a fool for renting this", "Lonely tonight? Figures, you did rent Red Shoe Diaries loser", "You are making your children retarded by renting this for them" (works only on childrens films) etc. Get creative with it, but keep it limited, you don't want to put a note in every movie...you will get caught.
Fuck you're retarded.

Quote:

8. Put a hold on that says "see warn" then apply warnings on accounts with problem customers or customers you just don't like or have pissed you off for some reason. Example: "Customer has bad breath, must brush teeth before renting", "Tell Children to shut the hell up", "Just nod and continue transaction, customer has no life", etc. Once again, be very creative there are limits though, and it does have your employee number next to the warning.[/b]
I so wish I could fire your ass.

Quote:
There are many more, I am still in the process of developing more tactics. Remember, you may work at blockbuster, but you are providing a service, and customers need to realize that if they do not treat the empolyees with respect, then they will be dealt with accordingly. Customers should know that in order to get the best possible service, they should not be an idiot, and not ask stupid questions... or they will be taken advantage of.
Tactics?
You don't know what tactics are little one.

You are exactly the reason that customers default to treating BB employees with disdain though. They have come to expect this sort of childish idiocy, so you're adding nothing new to the equation.

I have an idea. Try this tactic: Serve your customers. Be their patron saint of home entertainment. Make their day. You will notice a huge improvement in their behavior as customers and you certainly won't think your job sucks as badly as you do now.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
IHBB GOD

Yeah rk pretty much said it all. Essentially this is

1. Be a dick
2. Be a dick
3. Be a dick
etc.

Except 7...I have notes hidden in the cases of the "Rent It Tomorrow" signs. On Tuesday morning when I take them down I always found one or two open, so I put little notes that say "uh...honestly, what were you expecting to find in here?" and "'tomorrow' means 'the day following today'", and so on.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
IHBB GOD

Yeah, the only one that seems interesting is the leaving notes thing. Like if you have a regular who knows you, you could leave them notes in cases, under the disc, that say things like "sorry in advance if you don't like this :-(" - but anything more than that just seems really childish and a big waste of time.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 03:49 PM

I am good with regulars, I treat them with respect and go out of my way to help them out. These are just reserved for assclowns and annoying tools that make working suck, so I make it fun again. Have a sense of humor.
Unread December 15th, 2006, 05:05 PM
IHBB GOD

Oh, great. Yet ANOTHER fucking thread about how horrible BBI customers are, because we surely don't have enough at this site

(and for some reason, I'm reminded of the famous quote about women who have multiple ex-husbands: "More than two, maybe it's you")

Quote:
Notice: I do not condone over charging customers, putting balances on accounts, checking out items to wrong accounts or any other illegal activity.

No, you just condone sending profitable, money spending customers to other establishments. So glad that your store is so healthy that you can fuck around like this, and expect to survive the Online push.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread December 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM
IHBB GOD

What Oz said.

(I cant even be bothered to go into the 'its been posted before' speech AGAIN right now)
IHBB QUEEN and Legendary Top Poster
Quote of the week:
Valentines day special: Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm screwing your best mate; the rumours were true....
Unread December 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
What Oz said.

(I cant even be bothered to go into the 'its been posted before' speech AGAIN right now)
That should be an automatic posting, just click on an icon, like we do for smilies.

We could have icons for "it's been posted before, you moran", "do some fucking research", and even the story about how it's moran and not moron.

Any other recommendations for comments that should be automatically generated??

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread December 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
IHBB GOD

LOL

That is an EXCELLENT idea and would save us hours.

You should make a new r+r thread
IHBB QUEEN and Legendary Top Poster
Quote of the week:
Valentines day special: Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm screwing your best mate; the rumours were true....