I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > News

Unread November 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Anybody know much about Gamestop?

As far as working there? Any past managers or employees? I've been presented with an opportunity and want to know what I could be getting into (I'm currently a ASM for BB.)

thanks
Unread November 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
IHBB GOD

i had a CSR get a job offer from them, and he chose to stay with BBV, my guess? we paid him more.

there are definatly perks. they arent open all days of the year. they close earlier. etc. i guess it would depend on how much you like games.
Unread November 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
IHBB Freak

I was a manager for Babbage's, which later morphed into what is now Gamestop, for almost 9 years. They paid pretty well at the time but I don't think they pay all that well nowadays. It is a decent environment though, certainly better than Blockbuster, assuming you like video games.
Unread November 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to CureForEmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrible Results View Post
As far as working there? Any past managers or employees? I've been presented with an opportunity and want to know what I could be getting into (I'm currently a ASM for BB.)

thanks
Pay for part time managers and associates is pretty low, but for ASM/SM -> it's fairly comparable to BB> Benefit plan for full timers is much better, and the most important thing is that if you have a work ethic and any sense about you, it's an awesome job with much less stress than BBI. The people who don't like it there either don't like games at all (you don't have to be a die-hard gamer, just care enough to learn), are lazy as hell, or can't sell. If you're an ASM who can motivate your team rather than just carrying it on your back, it's a fun job with a lot of opportunities. They're very big on promoting from within even way beyond the SM level, so if you have aspirations to move up, it's a good opportunity. Also take a look at stock prices. It's a bit different selling in a profitable company from selling at BBI.

On the flip side, as with any job the SM/DM can make or break the environment. What do you think of both of them for where you'd be going?
Unread November 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

The big thing that usually sends people on their way is sales. Game Informer subscriptions and presales are the 2 things you will be nagged (or in your case be nagging other people) about. The company has no qualms about firing people who don't produce numbers. So as long as you can produce/motivate others to produce, you'll be in tip top shape. Otherwise, I wouldn't chance it as your job "security" is much stronger at BBI.
Unread November 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM
IHBB GOD

not for me, too many goobers for customers im sure. prolly always hanging out at store loitering and talking about star trek movies and games for hours. no thanks.
Unread November 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to CureForEmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youdontknowme View Post
The big thing that usually sends people on their way is sales. Game Informer subscriptions and presales are the 2 things you will be nagged (or in your case be nagging other people) about. The company has no qualms about firing people who don't produce numbers. So as long as you can produce/motivate others to produce, you'll be in tip top shape. Otherwise, I wouldn't chance it as your job "security" is much stronger at BBI.
Sorry, but it just seems like a pot vs kettle situation with regards to producing numbers. When has BBI ever had qualms with firing people who can't sell (Rewards, Passes, Total Access, etc)? We're in retail, sales are the name of the game. If you can't or don't want to sell, retail doesn't offer much job security anywhere. If you can sell, I'd much rather have the stability of a company in the green than one barely keeping the doors open. There's a lot of reasonably valid arguments for not going somewhere like GameStop, but job security at Blockbuster is most definitely not one of them.
Unread November 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrible Results View Post
Anybody know much about Gamestop?
I know that they give shit for store credit on trade-ins
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread December 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
IHBB Freak

I love gamestop. They have eveything.

Last edited by ClutztomerControl; January 14th, 2009 at 12:42 AM.
Unread April 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Gamestop is a great environment, but just as much pressure on sales with less pay... but also a lot better customer base... because there is no www.ihategamestop.com