I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM

End of an Era

I haven't been around here since December, but I thought I'd stop by and see how things are going.

Well, I left Blockbuster last August when I saw the writing on the wall. I warned everyone there that the store would not last long at all. I told them that it would never make it another year. They choose not to believe me. We had a new manager who believed the rhetoric given from the higher ups. A new shift lead who bought everything hook, line, and sinker.

I found employment elsewhere in a much better place. I drove towards my old store the other day, and there were the signs. The closing signs that I've seen everywhere else. It was bitter sweet for me, but I had to stop in and talk.

The manager, and shift lead were still there, but nobody else I worked with was left. The manager came up to me as I walked in, shook my hand, and told me I was right. The shift leader at the register said the same to me. I asked them when their last day was, and he said May 20 unless we don't make a certain amount each week. The goal was $20,000 by Monday, and I was in there Thursday. I stood in that store, and remembered a lot of good times and bad ones.

My store had been around since 1995, and had made it through bankruptcy. It made it through all the store closures during the buyout from Dish. However, with stores closing all around us...the writing was on the wall. I shook their hands one more time, took a deep breath, and left the store for good.

I gave a lot to that company, and met great people. I'll never forget that little store on Main street in central Alabama.

Nothing lasts forever....I say Adieu to Blockbuster, my former coworkers, and customers. I hope those of you who are left understand that you will not last forever. Blockbustermag12344556 (whatever) will post all the bullshit he wants about how the company will survive. Reality speaks a different tale, and no amount of smoke they blow up your ass will hide it. Dish is in this to dissolve the stores, and make as much money from them as possible. Once they get every last dime possible, then they will close your store.

Dish is not in this business to save it. They are in it to draw any profit they can, gain new customers, and dissolve Blockbuster rental stores. They may tell you differently to try and maintain productivity, but truth is all around you. Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Here is something that sums all this up:

Last edited by Freemason220; April 8th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freemason220 For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (April 9th, 2012), Baby Firefly (April 8th, 2012), D Money (April 8th, 2012), FZappa (April 12th, 2012), Glass Half Empty (April 9th, 2012), HelloItsMeMOM (June 8th, 2012), inkedangel (April 8th, 2012), its_me_ASM69 (April 17th, 2012), johnlow71 (April 8th, 2012)
Unread April 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
IHBB GOD

Eh everything that gos up yep gos down...except for twinkies.
Unread April 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlow71 View Post
Eh everything that gos up yep gos down...except for twinkies.
Well even hostess is mulling bankruptcy..lol..
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (April 9th, 2012), johnlow71 (April 8th, 2012)
Unread April 9th, 2012, 03:52 AM

I saw that on the OrbitDVD facebook page and laughed like crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to TheShooter87 For This Useful Post:
orbitdvd (April 9th, 2012)
Unread April 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter87 View Post
I saw that on the OrbitDVD facebook page and laughed like crazy
Yeah, that picture is the best thing since The Onion video.
Unread April 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM
IHBB GOD

Believe it or not blockbuster is making profit right now lol

yeah my store has a lot of life... Its said that your old store is gone. When you see it that way, you start to picture the good and bad times like a movie. I can't wait to tell my store! Its pretty mind blown lol

Last edited by djblade; April 9th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Unread April 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post

yeah my store has a lot of life... Its said that your old store is gone. When you see it that way, you start to picture the good and bad times like a movie. I can't wait to tell my store! Its pretty mind blown lol
I hope so, with all the closing stores selling off inventory, money made!
The top Poster!
Unread April 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post

With all the liquidation sales, how could they not be making profit?
Unread April 10th, 2012, 04:54 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy1234 View Post
With all the liquidation sales, how could they not be making profit?
Even with the fire sales, BBV is just barely making money.
The Following User Says Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (April 10th, 2012)
Unread April 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemason220 View Post
I haven't been around here since December, but I thought I'd stop by and see how things are going.

Well, I left Blockbuster last August when I saw the writing on the wall. I warned everyone there that the store would not last long at all. I told them that it would never make it another year. They choose not to believe me. We had a new manager who believed the rhetoric given from the higher ups. A new shift lead who bought everything hook, line, and sinker.

I found employment elsewhere in a much better place. I drove towards my old store the other day, and there were the signs. The closing signs that I've seen everywhere else. It was bitter sweet for me, but I had to stop in and talk.

The manager, and shift lead were still there, but nobody else I worked with was left. The manager came up to me as I walked in, shook my hand, and told me I was right. The shift leader at the register said the same to me. I asked them when their last day was, and he said May 20 unless we don't make a certain amount each week. The goal was $20,000 by Monday, and I was in there Thursday. I stood in that store, and remembered a lot of good times and bad ones.

My store had been around since 1995, and had made it through bankruptcy. It made it through all the store closures during the buyout from Dish. However, with stores closing all around us...the writing was on the wall. I shook their hands one more time, took a deep breath, and left the store for good.

I gave a lot to that company, and met great people. I'll never forget that little store on Main street in central Alabama.

Nothing lasts forever....I say Adieu to Blockbuster, my former coworkers, and customers. I hope those of you who are left understand that you will not last forever. Blockbustermag12344556 (whatever) will post all the bullshit he wants about how the company will survive. Reality speaks a different tale, and no amount of smoke they blow up your ass will hide it. Dish is in this to dissolve the stores, and make as much money from them as possible. Once they get every last dime possible, then they will close your store.

Dish is not in this business to save it. They are in it to draw any profit they can, gain new customers, and dissolve Blockbuster rental stores. They may tell you differently to try and maintain productivity, but truth is all around you. Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Here is something that sums all this up:

I saw the writing on the wall back in 2006, which was one of many reasons why I left and choose not to pursue becoming a DM. Same crap, just additional pressure when the fault of the company was a combination of horrendous decisions by upper management and just being the "nature of the beast".